Congressman DeSaulnier ‘Strongly Opposes’ the Pain-Capable Unborn Child Protection Act

October 10, 2017 17:03 pm · 61 comments

The house of representatives recently passed HR-36 (Pain-Capable Unborn Child Protection Act), which would amend the federal criminal code to make it a crime for any person to perform or attempt to perform an abortion if the probable post-fertilization age of the baby is 20 weeks or more.

Congressman Mark DeSaulnier says he strongly opposes the act, which he called an attack on women’s health, and ‘another effort to restrict women’s rights.’

DeSaulnier added it has ‘no meaningful exception to protect a woman’s health,’ and says ‘the bill would deny care to women in the most desperate of circumstances, and is a blatant attempt to chip away at a woman’s right to choose.’

The bill, according to Congress.gov provides exceptions for an abortion: (1) that is necessary to save the life of the pregnant woman, or (2) when the pregnancy is the result of rape or incest. A physician who performs or attempts to perform an abortion under an exception must comply with specified requirements.

A violator is subject to criminal penalties—a fine, up to five years in prison, or both.

A woman who undergoes a prohibited abortion may not be prosecuted for violating or conspiring to violate the provisions of this bill, according to the bill’s text.

1 NunYa October 10, 2017 at 5:08 PM

You getting good polling numbers on this opinion, Mark?

2 FAA October 10, 2017 at 5:14 PM

I can’t believe people actually voted for this idiot.

3 PogueMehone October 10, 2017 at 5:20 PM

I’m pro-choice and even I can agree that 5 months is more than enough time to abort a pregnancy, if that is your intention.

4 Anon October 10, 2017 at 5:25 PM

I don’t get it. I don’t want to tell a woman what you do with her body, I’m not religious, and not completely against abortion, but doesn’t the baby have some human rights at a certain point?

20 weeks seems more than reasonable. That’s five months old and a living thing at that point. If someone finds out they’re pregnant, and can’t handle raising a baby, an abortion may be the best thing for all involved. But, have some decency to not let it struggle to live for 5 months and then kill it.

It baffles me how some of these people would be the first to flip out if an animal shelter put down a 6 month old stray dog, but not a 6 month old human fetus.

5 Dr. Jellyfinger October 10, 2017 at 5:34 PM

20 weeks?!!!

Mark you are past, wayyy past pro choice!
You are now in the the “Pro Baby Murder” category.

Geez! and they call US “deplorables”.

6 Michael October 10, 2017 at 5:36 PM

So let me get this straight… we should not abort the fetus because it can feel pain but if the fetus is from rape or incest then it is ok for the fetus to feel pain? Put another way… abortion is wrong because a fetus is a potential human but if the fetus is the result of rape or incest it is ok to end that life?

7 Star Lord October 10, 2017 at 5:48 PM

Anon @ #5

“put down a 6 month old stray dog, but not a 6 month old human fetus.”

Not even remotely close to being a valid comparison. A 6 month old dog is a living, breathing, feeling animal. A 6 month old fetus/unborn child is not. The “human fetus” has less cognitive ability than a 6 month old dog.

8 RANDOM TASK October 10, 2017 at 5:49 PM

oh well he strenuously objects well now he has our full attention ….yeah to how much of a clown he is ……go tend bar you will get more tips

9 Greg94528 October 10, 2017 at 6:03 PM

I don’t like the point that Mark ‘strongly opposes’ this… I guess he supports pain for the unborn baby being killed without any reservation. It’s really funny the people that are so pro-abortion of human beings would protest the fact if it were puppies or kittens.. I understand the supposedly right to control your own body, but we’ve gone so far as to dismiss being inhumane,. In my eyes this is as cool as anything Hitler or Stalin did. How have we become so hardened and callous. There’s actually a growing movement out there of people that support abortion all the way up to to the point of birth. Have we gone that far down?

10 Greg94528 October 10, 2017 at 6:06 PM

PS: I have to ask anyone that supports this: How would you have liked to have been aborted? …I thought so.

11 TIFOKCIS October 10, 2017 at 6:08 PM

I am a Pro-Choice (take religion or leave it) Conservative and 20 weeks is not only murder, its disgusting.

Progressives, Liberals and Democrats are always crying ‘certain’ lives matter, just not a life with potential, just the ones without.

12 The Mamba October 10, 2017 at 6:08 PM

After 20 weeks is disgusting, Mark, and so is your blind following of party rhetoric.

13 jon M October 10, 2017 at 6:19 PM

He is more concerned about women’s rights and would rather murder an unborn human being. Very telling of the people in our district who voted for him him. It is clear that the baby killers are the ones that vote in our district and the rational people apparently stay home and do not vote.

14 ClayDen October 10, 2017 at 6:33 PM

Typical liberal. They always seem to forget that the full sentence is “…the right to choose to kill her baby.” Please go away Mark.

15 Gippyup October 10, 2017 at 6:37 PM

“DeSaulnier added it has ‘no meaningful exception to protect a woman’s health,’ and says ‘the bill would deny care to women in the most desperate of circumstances, and is a blatant attempt to chip away at a woman’s right to choose.’”

Please tell me how Mark DeSaulnier would know anything about “women’s health.” Sounds vaguely paternalistic to me.

16 Lambie October 10, 2017 at 6:39 PM

I think 20 weeks is already too late to abort. I’m sure the unborn child can feel pain long before 20 weeks.

It is my understanding that the youngest premature baby to survive was born after 21weeks, 5days.

A woman should be able to make the choice much earlier. If not, there are plenty of people waiting to adopt.

17 It makes sense to me October 10, 2017 at 6:44 PM

Mark you will have to answer for this on judgement day.

18 Always Right October 10, 2017 at 6:48 PM

Mark Desaulnier, you are cooperating with pure evil. Killing unborn babies who feel pain is despicable. You have lost your humanity. Lord have mercy.

I call upon all democrats with an ounce of decency in their soul to call him out and tell him he is on the wrong side.

19 Original G October 10, 2017 at 6:51 PM

Could someone take the time to explain to him Pain Capable.

20 Zob October 10, 2017 at 7:11 PM

Overpopulation will come for all of our offspring one day. Go team Vasectomy!

21 Ricardoh October 10, 2017 at 7:21 PM

Three months is long enough

22 Regular Guy October 10, 2017 at 7:22 PM

@Star Lord #7
So, if “cognitive ability” is the measure, I suppose that you support “aborting” Alzheimer patients too?

23 Wage Slave October 10, 2017 at 7:43 PM

The left finally on the defensive in the culture wars? Never thought I’d see the day.

Whoever wrote this bill is very savvy. They put “Pain-capable” right in the name of the bill, to make it impossible to argue about “lumps of tissue” and a small “parasite.” They put the age at 20 weeks, a long enough time that even most pro choice advocates balk at defending terminating a pregnancy except in extreme circumstances. They made exceptions for rape, incest, and mother’s health. And they explicitly exempt the mothers from criminal acts for doing so, just the abortionist. Anyone out there care to defend Kermit Gosnel on this one?

In short, they neutralized most common talking points in favor of abortion. Took them long enough.

24 NoThanks October 10, 2017 at 8:34 PM

This is savage.I am pro-choice but at 20 weeks? That’s 5 months pregnant. That’s murder.

25 Lamont October 10, 2017 at 8:39 PM

Margaret Sanger, the patron saint of abortion, believed this and she was a virulent racist. Obviously the real Racists and Supremacists are Progressive Fascists like DeSaulnier.

26 TIFOKCIS October 10, 2017 at 8:41 PM

NOT MY CONGRESSMAN

27 Oh The irony! October 10, 2017 at 8:47 PM

Not gonna sit well with the illegal immigrants Mark!

28 Khloe October 10, 2017 at 8:58 PM

Call it what it is, murder. He believes in murdering innocent babies.

29 Dr. Jellyfinger October 10, 2017 at 9:04 PM

@ 18 ~ That’s right….
Nazi atrocities pale in comparison…. and we’ll just stand by & let it happen… look the other way.
So what will our excuse be on judgement day?

30 PO'd October 10, 2017 at 9:13 PM

A big atta boy for Mark “the Coat-Hanger” DeSaulnier.

31 Never say never October 10, 2017 at 9:16 PM

I had a medical abortion at 20 weeks. Was it my plan? NO Did I want my baby? YES Did I want the abortion? NO. Was it necessary? Yes. I had a non viable fetus, there were several conditions that made it the only option and before I even did it the heartbeat was gone. I mourn that baby EVERY DAY and will for the rest of my life. Sine of you need to walk in my shoes. I wouldn’t wish it on anyone and can’t imagine not having that option. I might not be here now if that option wasn’t available. Some of your comments make me sick.

32 Concerned Citizen of Clayton October 10, 2017 at 9:17 PM

NOT MY CONGRESSMAN! Mark, please go away.

33 Oy Vey October 10, 2017 at 9:47 PM

Thank you, Congressman. Finally someone standing up for a woman’s right to determine what happens to her body. I’ll vote for you every time.

34 Venice October 10, 2017 at 9:48 PM

This is what you get for electing a failed bartender.

35 Agree with Never say never October 10, 2017 at 10:15 PM

I’m so sorry for your loss “Never say Never”. I’ve read several articles written by women who were in the same terrible situation. They wanted their babies. They did not want abortions. However, there was something medically wrong with their babies. Something they did not find out about until this far into their pregnancy. Something the babies would not survive. As mothers, they made the difficult choice to have an abortion so their babies would not suffer anymore. I don’t understand what people have against that.

36 Dr. Jellyfinger October 10, 2017 at 10:35 PM

@ 32 ~ “The bill, according to Congress.gov provides exceptions for an abortion: (1) that is necessary to save the life of the pregnant woman, or (2) when the pregnancy is the result of rape or incest”.

Maybe you missed that part or maybe you just want to be pro choice & indignant?
This law would not have made any difference in your case so your comments are pointless and uncalled for.

37 RunnerDope October 10, 2017 at 10:36 PM

99% of abortions in the US are already done before the 20th week and it’s only legal up to 24 weeks now.

38 Wesley Mouch October 10, 2017 at 11:40 PM

This nation can do without any more Kermit Gosnells, Mark.

The wise learn from the past…

39 chuckie the troll October 10, 2017 at 11:58 PM

I realize that Mark Desaulnier and his fellow travelers live in a logic-free zone, however, I’ll try to see if they can have a logical debate anyway.

If it doesn’t matter how much pain an unborn child experiences in order to satisfy a woman’s desire for an abortion, what about felons? Why not add a little torture to the menu when, for instance, child molesters are caught and convicted? What about the illegal aliens who commit felonies and never leave or keep coming back? Why not give* them a little ‘going away’ present?

If intentionally or knowingly inflicting pain on another individual is acceptable, where does this end? My wife is wondering if Mark should forgo pain killers the next time he has treatments for cancer or needs surgery. What do you think, Mark?

40 Agree with Never say never October 11, 2017 at 2:32 AM

@Dr. Jellyfinger, actually, your comment for “Never say never” was pointless and uncalled for. There are so many thoughtless comments suggesting women who choose to have these abortions do it on a whim because they don’t want their babies. However, she quite clearly showed there are other sides to a story that obviously people don’t see.

41 BURNBABYBURN October 11, 2017 at 4:57 AM

In all fairness, he does make the point when he says, “is a blatant attempt to chip away at a woman’s right to choose.” Mr. Pizza and his band of Cali-for-nia band of politicos are experts at chipping away rights. Guns, taxes, free speech, freedom, etc. Please show him a little respect.

42 Chicken Little October 11, 2017 at 4:59 AM

@34,
How late should abortions be allowed? Right up until birth? Where do you draw the line?

I’m pro-choice but at some point, it becomes not just the woman’s body but the baby’s body. And, like it or not, a mother does not have complete discretion over what she does to her child, especially killing it.

43 Never say never October 11, 2017 at 6:33 AM

@dr jelly finger
Awwww did my comment offend you in Someway? My comment isn’t uncalled for, my comment is a reality for women everyday! Uncalled for.implies its an unnecessary or rude comment, it isn’t. And since you’re so bothered by my comment let me tell you something else that you’ll feel is uncalled for, my life probably wasn’t at a big enough risk where this law would have applied to me. I probably would have had to walk around for another 20 weeks looking pregnant and having purple ask me when I’m due, that would have made for some great checkout conversations wouldn’t it? Pregnancy is 40 weeks by the way before you correct my math skills.
The only comment uncalled for was your own, your Personal attack on my history was unnecessary and rude.

44 WhoDatGurl October 11, 2017 at 7:34 AM

Strange how females outside the uterus have the right to murder a female baby inside the uterus. What about females inside the uterus? Don’t they have rights too?

DeSaulnier is on the wrong side of this, and every other liberal cause. I pity him on his Judgement Day.

45 It'sme October 11, 2017 at 7:55 AM

I was told there was something medically wrong with my healthy 18 year old son and that he would die within hours of his birth.
A fetus who has passed inside their mother is not what we are talking about. By 20 weeks you feel your baby kicking.
If you were raped you would know that long before 20 weeks.
“Hey Mark! Try helping the endless foster victims being beaten, raped and left behind in the world. That is a worthwhile cause. Do something worthwhile. Twenty weeks is too long to wait.”

46 Waffles October 11, 2017 at 8:05 AM

Neither side wants to give up an inch, but 20 weeks seems like a good middle ground for a place to start compromising. Mark’s strong opposition is just more hot air from him.

I hope people remember this guy’s stupid stances on issues when it comes time to vote. I can’t remember agreeing with him once.

47 Aspirin October 11, 2017 at 8:09 AM

Medical issues should not be decided by our horribly biased and divided politicians. Most are ignorant about science and cannot begin to fathom the issues while wearing their political blinders.

Doctors and scientists are the only people qualified.

48 Dr. Jellyfinger October 11, 2017 at 8:39 AM

You did not offend me…… however your deliberate ignorance that the bill provides for medically necessary exceptions, was the point of my response.

If you want to make pro choice arguments at least be intellectually honest about it & don’t pretend to be a victim of my “personal attacks”either… this is the internet & there is nothing personal about it.. unless your real name actually is “Never Say Never”?

49 Led October 11, 2017 at 8:55 AM

Almost no countries in the world are as permissive about late term abortions as the US. Even if you are pro-choice you should stop and onder why all these hyper-progressive Western European nations ban abortions after a certain number of weeks. Are the Danes living in a theocracy? Some of the most liberal societies on earth have parental consent requirements for minors and heavy restrictions on abortion after 12 (!) weeks. Propose anything like that here and people start blathering about how we are living in The Handmaid’s Tale. This should be a no-brainer, but the democrats are in thrall to the absolutist wing of the pro-abortion camp. What Naral wants, it gets.

50 Kentucky Derby October 11, 2017 at 9:29 AM

The mother, the father and her doctor.

51 RANDOM TASK October 11, 2017 at 9:31 AM

Wow so where are all these people when women who smoke drink and do drugs have a late miscarriage oh yeah that’s different right …..first off having an opinion on a subject is one thing actually knowing what you are talking about is another …..this subject has been beaten so many times and it’s all your fault for allowing it to become a political tool blame yourselves you allowed it and in one party I am sure are proud it is political but I tell you most wish it wasn’t and if not would probably be a choice and not a political tool every election …..it’s your own fault stop being uppity and be grown ups life is not a perfect entity that has to be governed every step of the way and or shouting at people because they differ ….everyone is different in every way ….instead of demanding people conform let them be free ….but no you politicize everything to death and separate each other on one side or the other ……this allows politicians to USE YOU AS TOOLS BY TAKING AWAY FREEDOMS …..IF YOU KEEP ALLOWING POLITICIANS TO DICTATE YOUR LIFE …..THEN YOU HAVE NOT ONE THING TO COMPLAIN ABOUT TO THE OTHER PERSON YOU BOTH ALLOW YOIRSELVES TO BE RULED

52 Venice October 11, 2017 at 9:34 AM

Wow………Does this failed bartender believe murder of innocent humans is a good thing?

53 America October 11, 2017 at 9:51 AM

Mark, along with most pro death of unborn, has never witnessed an actual abortion and seen what is removed from the woman. This savage murder of innocents needs to stop!

54 RSD October 11, 2017 at 11:33 AM

@49 Don’t waste your breath trying to explain details, facts, or common sense to clueless nut jobs. They obviously can’t comprehend what they read.

Desaulnier needs to go.. Please vote this human waste out of office

55 Elwood October 11, 2017 at 12:04 PM

Feel the love, Mark!

56 dogbertt October 11, 2017 at 12:05 PM

It cracks me up when people say, “How did DeSaulnier get elected?” or “We need to get him out of office!”

Where in the world have you people been?

I was living in Concord when DeSaulnier was just a city councilman. He could’ve been stopped there, but you people kept re-electing him.

Then, as higher offices opened up, you people elected him to those. Complaining, sure, but you kept voting for him. Straight Democratic ticket, right?

Finally, the truly awful George Miller leaves office and we have a chance to get someone decent and what happens? You people elect Marky Mark!

DeSaulnier has not changed his ideology since he was a Concord city councilman, 20+ years ago. I have never once voted for him, but many of you have. Well, here’s what you get.

57 WhoDatGurl October 11, 2017 at 1:00 PM

@ It’sMe, you were very brave and protected your baby. I’m in awe of women like you, as I know a few. Many times, the doctors are wrong and the baby is just fine. Have faith. Glad your son is healthy and that you won the right to be a Mom (best role in the world).

58 Dutch October 11, 2017 at 2:54 PM

Desaulnier is a parrot. He goes with the party line right down the line. He doesn’t think for himself. He is a disgrace.

59 Armon Van October 11, 2017 at 4:21 PM

He’s on point. The “pro-life” lobby/politicians are playing games tugging on peoples’ heart strings. Ultimately, wealthy America wants more poor dumb babies to buy their stuff and eventually enter the workforce so they can earn money to buy more stuff. Who gets all that money? None of you. The big dogs get it, you get left overs. Don’t get this issue conflated with morality, they just want some moving units.

60 Agree with Never say never October 11, 2017 at 9:56 PM

@Dr. Jellyfinger – Well for someone who proclaims to be not offended, you sure lashed out like you were. Your response was the equivalent of “shut up I don’t want to hear it” to someone sharing their personal story. Why don’t you use some intelligence and go reread her comments instead of hiding behind your deliberate ignorance. This directly affected her. She had to think about this. She had this choice offered to her. And she had to make this decision. Who better to make a comment on this issue beside someone who actually would have been affected by HR-36??

61 Led October 13, 2017 at 3:10 PM

@Never say never: that’s a horribly difficult situation, but I can’t help concluding that you’re claiming the right to euthanize the baby because of a terminal condition. There are families who could put a limit on the pain and suffering of caring for a (born) terminally ill baby if they had the option of euthanasia, but the law doesn’t allow for that, and I think for good reason: no matter how hard it is, it is important to uphold that principle – we can’t kill innocent people, period.