Golden Corral Buffet & Grill Moving Into Old Hometown Buffet Building on Diamond Blvd. in Concord

September 25, 2017 10:00 am · 37 comments

Golden Corral buffet has plans to open in the old Hometown Buffet building on Diamond Blvd. in Concord.

Owners will meet with the City of Concord this week to discuss exterior changes to the building.

Golden Corral has 200 restaurants nationwide, with the closest location in Tracy.

1 Be gentle September 25, 2017 at 10:08 AM

Not a fan of that place!

2 The Mamba September 25, 2017 at 10:09 AM

Is the food better or worse? I’ve never eaten at either.

3 Dawg September 25, 2017 at 10:11 AM

Caution: Parking may be hazardous to your vehicle’s health.
Beware of vehicle burglaries occurring in this part of town.

4 J. September 25, 2017 at 10:32 AM

They have only been running TV ads in our market for the past two decades. Now we can finally go. But, the ads make their food look yucky.

5 Barbosa September 25, 2017 at 10:37 AM

@Dawg

That’s where a 67 Rambler comes in handy.

6 Mr. Pink September 25, 2017 at 10:40 AM

Never been. Probably won’t. I don’t need to eat all that I can. I have enough trouble pushing away from the table as it is.

7 Palermo September 25, 2017 at 10:46 AM

I don’t care for buffets. Too much food, too many people touching everything. Never know if hot food stays hot or cold food stays cold enough. Pass.

8 Kentucky Derby September 25, 2017 at 10:52 AM

We eat healthy, and stay away from all you can eat – lol. But I think this will be a very popular restaurant. I can see this place being very busy, and a lot of residents will be happy.

9 Jessica September 25, 2017 at 10:58 AM

I am so excited for Golden Corral to come our way. I am tired of driving all the way to Tracy, just to enjoy their food. Brace yourselves, you will soon be fans!

10 Kirkwood September 25, 2017 at 11:25 AM

The Golden Corrals I have been to in other cities have been good enough, as good as most casinos. You’ll find something that you like. None the less it’s still cafeteria food, if you are a fussy eater don’t bother. The HB’s I have been to were were about 25% bigger than the available space in the old Hometown structure.

11 Sandy G. September 25, 2017 at 11:31 AM

I’d rather have have it in a brand new building than an old one with possible issues. The one in Sacramento makes cotton candy. Hope this one does, too

12 Ming September 25, 2017 at 11:36 AM

Totally agree with Palermo. Too many people touching everything.
I don’t like to eat out that often. People don’t always wash their hands

13 You Can't Fix Stupid September 25, 2017 at 11:37 AM

@ Dawg: Consider it a multi-faceted buffet. Food inside for patrons willing to take the risk (on the food and the parking), and a buffet of cars to steal from for the scum thieves in the area.

14 Dee September 25, 2017 at 11:49 AM

The best was JJ’s Hometown went to pot the last few years they were there and quit going there. Have been to Golden Corral once and that was the Tracy one and it was a mess. Hopefully they run this one better than that was when we were there. I hope they got that one cleaned up a but. Will give this one a shot when we are in town after it opens and see as we are around for holidays and once a month or so

15 Pony September 25, 2017 at 12:09 PM

Not a fan of buffets since I saw someone 3 decades ago use his fingers to dish items onto his plate. Never sure of the temps on things. But it does give trickle down income to the folks doing smash and grabs in the parking lot.

16 GregTheElder September 25, 2017 at 12:49 PM

17 Bonnie September 25, 2017 at 12:59 PM

On our way home from Murphys Ca we decided to stop at Golden Corral. I mean after seeing all the commercials, who wouldn’t want to stop. The food was very good. I for one am happy they are coming to us.

18 Kirkwood September 25, 2017 at 1:02 PM

I have to laugh at the finicky and feel sorry for the germophobes. How did mankind ever survive this long? How many hogs get sick from feeding at the trough?

19 Kirkwood September 25, 2017 at 1:04 PM

At Hofbraus everything is served, all you have to do is point.

20 romi357 September 25, 2017 at 1:11 PM

Wonder if this location will store their meat by the dumpster during inspections? Ill never visit this place. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/08/golden-corral-dumpster_n_3560786.html

21 It makes sense to me September 25, 2017 at 1:16 PM

Time to get my cargo pants and zip locks ready. Yum Yum

22 Bellarium September 25, 2017 at 2:15 PM

Not a buffet person but Golden Corral is good. Great Salad Bar and fresh baked rolls.

23 Vasquez September 25, 2017 at 2:28 PM

Maybe chains do well in Concord because unlike points west folks in Concord dont have boatfuls of money to spend on fine dining. Much to the chagrin of the folks at points west sometimes a burgers is as good as.it gets.

24 Laufau K. September 25, 2017 at 3:06 PM

I love the food they have. Never been there before but i’ve heard they are better than the Hometown Buffet. I might stop by and check myself. I love seafoods. Food is food but it’s up to you to choose. You don’t have to eat like a ‘Big’. Just enjoy♡

25 Concord Mike September 25, 2017 at 3:25 PM

More good news for Concord ! And Dunkin Donuts too !

All we need now is our own INnOut Burger and of course the ever elusive Olive Garden.

26 Steve O September 25, 2017 at 3:59 PM

It would be nice to have another Buffett Place in there again. JJ. North used to very the menu every night, I wonder if Golden Corral does that?

27 Mika September 25, 2017 at 6:26 PM

When are we gonna get an Arbys???

28 Greg94528 September 25, 2017 at 6:49 PM

We’ve been at the Golden Corral and it was quite good. We frequently dine in all the Danville restaurants. They’re close by. They are also getting crazy expensive; cannot dine for two for under $100. Not sure it’s always worth it. We will come up to dine at the new Golden Corral in Concord. I think it will be popular.. and while we really don’t overstuff ourselves that much, it is nice to have a complete choice to go wild with once in awhile.

29 Julio September 25, 2017 at 6:51 PM

This is an absolutely horrid place. Be prepared to be very sick. We have tried to eat at two of them and both of us have been sick before we made it home. Don’t risk it folks. Not only nasty looking but just plain nasty.

30 Patti September 25, 2017 at 9:08 PM

Love this place. A person doesn’t have to eat every thing. I go for the fried Chicken and mashed potatoes with gravy and green beans. Lots of desserts are there if you want. Just because it’s a Buffett doesn’t mean a person has to stuff themselves! Just saying! I give this place a thumbs up. Glad they will be in located in Concord. Thanks

31 dinkydau September 25, 2017 at 11:05 PM

I was at a Golden Corral in Tampa, Fl and it wasnt that great. I saw people pile there plates as if they were not going back. I do not pile my plate, just a few items and then go back for certain items I tried.
I also saw the same people who piled their plates, leave the place and their plates were less half eaten.
So I will try it once and may go back at a later date depending the price.
I dont do salads at these eateries. Salads are cheap to make so i go for the meats and other items I dont make at home.

32 Wade September 26, 2017 at 12:10 AM

I ate at one back in Virginia and It was pretty good food for a Buffet. Remember that when your dealing with a Buffet restaurant they are dealing in volume NOT high quality. For what I got I thought it was, again, pretty good food.

33 Michelle September 26, 2017 at 9:47 AM

What is going into the old steak house on Willow pass?

34 CLAYCORD.com September 26, 2017 at 9:49 AM

The old Sizzler will be a Korean BBQ.

35 Zorphious September 26, 2017 at 1:26 PM

The more people hate this place, the shorter the line for me to wait in. HomeTown Buffet was horrible no matter which restaurant you went to. I have been to the Tracy Golden Corral and really enjoyed their food. We won’t have to drive as far now.

36 fitzwilliam September 27, 2017 at 8:03 AM

the one in sacto had one of those chocolate waterfalls that people could dip strawberries into but then I about lost my cookies when I’d see kids sticking their dirty fingers in the chocolate and licking it off or people coughing into the food. one little girl picked up a muffin with her hand, smelled it, then put it back. All you can eat buffets cater to families who want to get the kids filled up for cheap. you can’t carry on a conversation, there are kids running around screaming, the food is definitely quantity and not quality and then you’re sick the next day with the trots. but they’ll do good because they are putting it in a location with the right demographic.

37 Kirkwood September 27, 2017 at 4:27 PM

I know this post is about to drop off the bottom but – I have eaten twice at the Sac’to GC and didn’t witness the anomalies you did. None the less, if there was a problem with cross contamination, lots of people would get sick. Queasy people just have to deal with their “yuck” factors in their own ways.