25 Contra Costa High Schools to Hold Registration Drives

September 22, 2017 8:00 am · 18 comments

The Contra Costa County Elections Division is coordinating a large-scale registration campaign with 25 Contra Costa County high schools as part of National Voter Registration Day on Tuesday, Sept.26.

The Elections Division is providing ready-made registration kits to facilitate on-campus events, which contain everything needed to conduct a registration drive.

In addition to registering 18-year-old students, those who are 16 and 17 years old can also “pre-register” to vote.

“We’re happy to partner with schools across Contra Costa County and help register eligible voters and pre-register soon-to-be-voters,” said Joe Canciamilla, Contra Costa Clerk-Recorder and Registrar of Voters. “As someone who first ran for office at age 17, I can personally attest to the value of registering and becoming involved in the electoral process as soon as one becomes eligible.”

National Voter Registration Day is an annual event to create awareness of voter registration opportunities and to reach those who may not otherwise register.

The Elections Division joins 2,500 organizations across the country in promoting voter registration and celebrating democracy on National Voter Registration Day.

This is the third year Contra Costa Elections has organized National Voter Registration Day efforts with county high schools, and over 1,000 students have registered or pre-registered to vote as a result.

Concord High School civics teacher Andrew Shetterly expressed his excitement, noting that very few of his students are currently registered to vote. “I think it will be powerful to have them all register together. The kits help turn the act of registering into a life event that students can share and it feels official,” Shetterly said.

1 AlwaysBePositive September 22, 2017 at 9:20 AM

Excellent. Our American democracy is plagued by terrible participation. We have a population of @326 million. Of those, @216 million are eligible to vote. In 2016 @ 126 million voted.

Don’t even mention low information voters…our soldiers didn’t die so that just smart people could vote.

2 Roz September 22, 2017 at 9:34 AM

Hope they also educating our young adults on politics in the process too.

3 Clayton Squrrel September 22, 2017 at 11:20 AM

This is great!

I don’t think that my kids have missed voting once. Voting by mail works well when they leave for college. So far the ballots have arrived here with plenty of time to spare.

4 jose September 22, 2017 at 2:00 PM

Just remember that you must be a citizen to vote. Just because you may be in high school in this state does not mean that you can vote in certain elections.
Voter ID should also be addressed. A drivers license issued by the state would work.
Most people that collect welfare benefits have some sort of ID to collect those kind of things, that would also work. People that vote at union functions also have to show some kind of ID. Those seem to work so why not have to show real ID for State & National elections?

5 Ricardoh September 22, 2017 at 2:07 PM

Sorry you didn’t like the truth again. Anonymous is right.

6 ClayDen September 22, 2017 at 2:28 PM

I agree that Anonymous #4 is absolutely correct.

Also as mentioned by jose, there should be an absolute ID requirement to vote. You can’t get on an airplane or do most other things of any significance without an ID, so why should you be able to exercise one of our most precious rights without one? This will also reduce voter fraud, which is rampant in many areas.

Something else is that the educational system is almost a branch of the Democrat Party. Guess what party they will be be encouraged to register in? As an educator, I get the NEA newsletter, and the views (many of which are presented as facts) is like a liberal propaganda rag.

7 Clayton Squirrel September 22, 2017 at 2:59 PM

There is little voter fraud. Many citizens don’t even vote once!

I am required to vote by mail because my neighborhood is too small to warrant a polling place. My ballot is different due to city lines. It’s really convenient but I don’t get a cool sticker that says “I Voted.”

8 football fan September 22, 2017 at 3:35 PM

The goal of public schools is to get students to hate America and vote democrat. The schools want a socialist country.

9 Safety Second September 22, 2017 at 3:51 PM

California voters love taxes and endless regulations…Proof: They vote for career elitist whore politicians who don’t understand or read even 10% of the thousand of laws they pass EVERY year. Like their leader says (Pelosi) “let’s get this law passed so we can see what’s in it.” Liberalism truly is a mental disorder and the Democrat Party are FAKE Americans.

10 Jessica September 22, 2017 at 4:07 PM

I think that this is a great idea. Getting the youth involved in something that effects their futures. Some people may not have access to become registered when they become of age, so by removing that barrier more people get to speak their voice. Good job!

11 Venice September 22, 2017 at 4:48 PM

Catch ’em while they’re still ignorant and impressionable, straight out of those liberal leftist indoctrination institutions.

12 Roz September 22, 2017 at 6:03 PM

@ football fan
@ Venice
Bingo!

13 Poor Richard September 22, 2017 at 7:51 PM

The Teacher’s union will get them to all vote Democratic.

14 Frank September 22, 2017 at 9:30 PM

Those who have great enthusiasm for getting young people to vote should pause and consider that roughly 40% of young people want to ban speech that they find hurtful. They are totally ignorant of the first amendment.

Consider the youthful enthusiasm for Bernie Sanders. Sanders wanted to make college free. He had no clue how to pay for it, but college kids loved him. Presumably the latest iPhones would have also been provided.No college student , except veterans, should be allowed near a voting booth. I’m not sure I would let college professors vote either. Many, but not all ,are dopes. I guess that would best be decided on a case by case basis.

And another thing, while I’m at it. IDs. There probably aren’t six people who are citizens who don’t have government ID. Yet the Dems are actually convinced that requiring ID suppresses voter turnout. Hillary blamed the loss of Wisconsin on voter suppression , but of course she blamed her loss on Biden,Obama, Sanders, Comey , Putin , DeBlasio and Lester Maddox. Only Maddow and Sylvia Woodworth escaped her wrath.

One last thing. Any college student using a safe space would be banned from voting for ten years.

15 ClayDen September 23, 2017 at 7:57 AM

@Frank

Regarding letting college professors vote: I understand your sentiments, as something north of 90% of professors are liberals and out of touch with the real world. I spent 35 years with a “real job” before becoming a college professor. I keep a low profile politically at my university, but there are times when I just want to shake some sense into some of them. I firmly believe that there should be a requirement that you should have non-academic job for at least 5-10 years before teaching at the college level. Besides making you a better professor, it will give you a better understanding of the real world.

16 Pac Islander September 23, 2017 at 8:06 AM

Are the teachers going to fill out their ballots too? Gotta up them socialist votes

17 Bill Cutting September 23, 2017 at 10:59 AM

Yeah I agree with some of the posters above you know these union teachers are 99.99% Democrat are going to try to manipulate your children into voting for Democrats the communist infiltration runs very deep. I’m happy a lot of people are waking up … you want to really change it ? there’s a people you can’t criticize that are running academics media and the banking system … give power back to the people (power and money or force required) and get rid of those I cannot mention who’re basically like a mafia syndicate pushing there narratives to divide and conquer all peoples just for a few shekels

18 ClayDen September 23, 2017 at 6:26 PM

@Bill Cutting

I disagree; it’s only around 95%.