The WC – Have You Gone to Your High School Reunion?

September 20, 2017 12:00 pm · 49 comments

The “Water Cooler” will be up Monday-Friday at noon.

Today’s question:

Have you attended a high school reunion? If not, why not? If you have attended one, did you have fun?

Talk about it….

1 Concordejet September 20, 2017 at 12:08 PM

yes to all of them except for the first one. I miss the first one because whoever organized the reunion mailed me the invitation to my old address and never got the invitation this was way back before facebook was born. Now, with facebook it make life simpler to keep track of all of your friends to shout out the next reunion

The older I get the smaller the reunion it gets.

2 THE ANIMAL September 20, 2017 at 12:09 PM

Went to 5-10-20 and 40yr. reunions. It was interesting and expensive .
50th is coming up in two years, I’m not sure if l’m going …………….

3 WC September 20, 2017 at 12:14 PM

The chicks I went to school with seem to mostly be cat ladies. Pass.

4 Concordejet September 20, 2017 at 12:19 PM

THE ANIMALwas

tell me about it reunion are getting so expensive but lucky last year reunion was only $50 with a complimentary wine and all you can eat Mexican food. The most expensive part was transportation and buying new clothes.

5 Grad September 20, 2017 at 12:28 PM

once…..was enough

6 Sandy G. September 20, 2017 at 12:29 PM

I went to my 25th from YVHS. The now defunct PHHS has an all -year reunion each August. I had pneumonia for my 25th and didn’t get to see any of the people I came to see.

7 hmmmm September 20, 2017 at 12:37 PM

No – Why would I want to see people from high school voluntarily?

People from High School = Fake friends
People from College = Friends for Life

8 Roz September 20, 2017 at 12:38 PM

Since I didn’t have any really close friends ( I was a shy girl ) in High School, I only attended the 5 year reunion. I felt a bit disconnected, so there was no need to go again.

9 Bishop Estates September 20, 2017 at 12:42 PM

Our 30th is this weekend…no thanks. No interested in seeing people I haven’t thought about since getting my diploma. I see or talk with the ones who matter on a monthly basis.

10 Julio September 20, 2017 at 12:42 PM

NOPE and NOPE. 1960. PHHS Disliked them then and still do. No reason to go.

11 howard September 20, 2017 at 12:43 PM

Not so much. Poor notification. Expensive. I never ‘fit in’ in school anyway. The longer you live, the more what friends you did have, come up missing. Haven’t a clue where YV 67 is having a celebration. Or if for that matter.

12 Kentucky Derby September 20, 2017 at 12:45 PM

Most of them – CHS. Always a lot of fun! Even more fun – Labor Day weekend in the park – thanks Joey!

13 chuckie the troll September 20, 2017 at 12:47 PM

Dropped out of High School, then went to college and eventually Grad School. Reconnected with some friends from the High School days on Facebook. A few folks had wondered what became of me. Many were proud to have an A.A. degree…no, not recovery…well, some of them.

Frankly, after 40 years what would I say? I’ve moved on, and moved away, and see no need to relive the past when the present is right here before me.

14 Yeah..... September 20, 2017 at 12:50 PM

Went to my 40th for YVHS. Fun time. Loved that all the cliques were over and done with. Everyone just visited with everyone.

15 AnonZ September 20, 2017 at 1:14 PM

Nope. Don’t care. I think my 30th, a couple years ago, was over $100 to attend. No thanks.

16 The Mamba September 20, 2017 at 1:28 PM

Yup, I’m good friends with a lot of the people from my class and enjoy visiting with them, so I make a point of going whenever a milestone one comes up.

17 Clayton Squirrel September 20, 2017 at 1:42 PM

Our five year and ten year high school reunions were fun and then the ball kind of got dropped and we haven’t had one for awhile. I will imagine that the 35 year reunion will be a combo with other classes. Hmmm, my son didn’t have a 5 year reunion for CVHS. He still sees his friends so I guess that’s okay. Actually, I just had five house guests here last week from my So Cal high school years so that was really fun. We invited over even more old friends and my houseguests ran the barbecue. Real friends and great guests!

I was a senior class president for my post-college program so I actually organize those reunions. We are pretty close knit since there were 112 of us together for four years. Our 25th reunion will be next year but thank goodness our university now has an alumni weekend that I can just add onto with a Friday night dinner. At our 20th reunion we endowed a $10,000 perpetual scholarship from our class so that was very rewarding.

18 WC resident September 20, 2017 at 1:44 PM

I’ve never gone (Concord High) nor my wife (Clayton Valley High). We have kept in touch with the friends we had in high school. Both of us are also very easy to find on the Internet.

19 Bumpitup September 20, 2017 at 1:53 PM

Went to YVHS 40th 2 years ago and it was great. Wasn’t expensive at all and everyone was having a great time. I’d do it again without hesitating.

20 Mitch September 20, 2017 at 1:58 PM

Couldn’t pay me to go. Spending the first 18 years with people was enough for a lifetime, I have no interest in making small talk with them 20 years later.

21 Dawg September 20, 2017 at 2:27 PM

No. I attended three different high schools and none of them ever contacted me about a reunion and if they had, I probably wouldn’t have gone anyway.

22 AlwaysBePositive September 20, 2017 at 2:34 PM

Wouldn’t miss one. It’s great to see people you have had a connection with in the past, but don’t see otherwise. Made some friends at the reunions that were not my friends in High School.. People grow…

23 ChampagneKitty September 20, 2017 at 2:40 PM

No. I was bullied and ostracized all through school. I don’t want to see any of those people ever again. For me, graduating from high school was like the end of a prison sentence.

24 Carissa September 20, 2017 at 2:49 PM

Ten year for LL 2006 was at Masse’s… Ugh. I didn’t bother attending.

25 Giddyup September 20, 2017 at 2:58 PM

I went to one and saw my two best friends from high school, one that I had not seen since high school, and that was the best part of it. Other than that, it was the same-old same-old that I couldn’t stand at the time and was so happy to leave behind when I graduated that I never went to another one and probably never will.

26 AC September 20, 2017 at 3:57 PM

Never have been and never will. I have no contact with anyone from high school (LL 14 years ago). I am ok with that as high school wasn’t the best time for me.

Personally I enjoy being in my 30s much more than my crappy teenage years!

27 Shoulda Coulda September 20, 2017 at 4:12 PM

@ Champagne Kitty

My brother in law graduated from high school
at the end of his prison sentence too. But
that’s something the family doesn’t talk about.
We like to say he lived in a gated community
with round the clock security. He might be
going back for a reunion at any time if he
doesn’t clean up his act.

28 Atticus Thraxx September 20, 2017 at 4:15 PM

I might have been interested a decade or so ago, but I don’t care too much now. Sure I’m curious how a few people turned out, but heck if I cared that much I would have kept in touch. More interesting would be a basic training reunion. Some hard-core mother truckers.

29 Silva September 20, 2017 at 5:37 PM

Nope, never have. I had about three friends, and after HS we soon drifted apart. I got an invitation to a 25 year reunion, and I might have gone for the heck of it to gawp at who ended up dumpy and bald as a cue ball and once thought they walked on water, and who got really hot that you’d never have imagined, but It’s doubtful I would have remembered anyone anyway, and it was ridiculously expensive, so no.

30 mohairs September 20, 2017 at 6:03 PM

i agree with ChampagneKitty. i was bullied through school, too. the girls in my school were mostly either cheerleaders or high on drugs. i was neither but had some nice guy friends to confide in thankfully. the boys (young men) were always more down-to-earth and no drama / gossip.

31 Abbie R. September 20, 2017 at 6:10 PM

Nope….never even bought the Year Books.

32 Blink September 20, 2017 at 6:35 PM

Social media made catch up reunions less needed

33 JazzMan September 20, 2017 at 7:30 PM

I did my 5 yr, but then after that it was too far away.

34 Dr. Jellyfinger September 20, 2017 at 8:26 PM

@ Abbie ~ I figured out fast that the yearbook was a mug shot file and never lined up for another one.

35 Darwin September 20, 2017 at 8:47 PM

Yes, all of them.
I am legend, MVP football, wrestling and homecoming king. Did not have a single fiend in middle school. I still see my friends on a regular basis. We drink every Thursday and call it thirsty Thursday

36 Khloe September 20, 2017 at 9:29 PM

I was a hot in high school then I got fat and ugly so I didn’t go. Loser loser! Lol

37 Barbie Girl September 20, 2017 at 9:35 PM

Yep, I was very shy until college and never allowed to wear makeup, mini skirts or color my hair. Come the 10 and 20 year, I was out of my shell and had my own style. I got the Most Changed for the Better Award. By the 20 year everyone had seemed to go through a lot of the same stuff life throws at you. Kids, Marriage, Divorce, parents dying etc. Very few people were cliquish and it was fun to meet the spouses. I was very proud of the nerd kids who blossomed once out of school. (Well except one girl who was just as snotty as she was in high school.)

38 Kentucky Derby September 20, 2017 at 9:45 PM

Darwin – homecoming king… lol. I was the homecoming queen, and a cheerleader (not head cheerleader). The last reunion I attended the homecoming king told me “you know people are looking at us hoping we look like a train wreck. Can I buy you a drink?” My husband bought him a drink instead.

Sorry to read some people were unhappy in school. I loved school – academics and socially.

The cliques are long gone at reunions. Kind of cool.

39 Darwin September 20, 2017 at 10:37 PM

#39 Kentucky Derby
Too funny. My queen, unfortunately passed away at an early age. Your king was right, people was hoping that I looked like crap too at my reunion 😀 Fortunately I am aging well. High school was fun for me. Sports allowed me to make friends. I dated a cheerleader and now she is now a psych professor at a college in southern cal.
At the reunions I spend more time talking to people I did not know very well in high school and or their spouses.

40 Ashley September 21, 2017 at 7:33 AM

Nope because the girls in my school never invite me or set one up. They were all snotty cheerleaders who thought they were better than everyone else.

41 Kentucky Derby September 21, 2017 at 8:03 AM

Darwin – nice to read you’re aging well! Me too! Sorry to hear your queen passed away at an early age. I was friends with people outside my clique because I’m an extrovert – so friendliness comes naturally to me. Reunions are fun!

42 Anon September 21, 2017 at 8:03 AM

From Freshman year to Senior I went to 4 different high schools in four different states. I doubt anyone would remember me.

No I haven’t attended any reunions.

43 Giddyup September 21, 2017 at 8:55 AM

The same snotty people who were in cliques at my school were the same snotty cliques at the reunion. The women were the worst. And, of course all the people in student government. One reunion was enough to bring back all the painful memories of being systematically excluded and snubbed in high school, and even worse, being teased and bullied by the ones who in reality were the epitome of socially dysfunctional. I decided they deserved each other … they belonged together … they invented high school reunions to relive their “moments” and they can #KMA

44 Darwin September 21, 2017 at 10:06 AM

#42 Kentucky Derby
😊
Hopefully for the people who did not have a good high school experience, I hope life has been treating them well

45 Kentucky Derby September 21, 2017 at 10:47 AM

Darwin – I agree! Peace and happiness to all.

46 football fan September 21, 2017 at 11:25 AM

I went to the 30th & 40th. I did not keep in contact with anyone so I felt like I was walking into a room of strangers. I had a good time at both talking with people I did not know in high school. However, I so wanted to say to some of the women “it is nice to see that your are still the same b—- you were in high school.” because they were. Some people never change.

47 C&H September 21, 2017 at 1:14 PM

Facebook is a big highschool reunion of friends. I went to my 10th and felt like the reunion was a big pissing contest to see who had the best careers. Not interested in going to the future ones.

48 LightenUpFrancis September 21, 2017 at 3:04 PM

Reunions are fun. It’s amazing to see how people have matured and thrived (or the opposite) over time. Such grumpy people on Claycord!

49 Mika September 21, 2017 at 8:17 PM

I only went to my 30th. And that was too soon!