Claycord Online Museum – Lehmer’s, the Oldest Business in the City of Concord

September 19, 2017 14:00 pm · 17 comments

This picture came from our friends at Lehmer’s Concord Buick GMC, which is currently located on Market St. at Willow Pass Rd. in Concord (across from Chuck E. Cheese).

Today, we’re showing you the old Lehmer’s Showroom on Galindo and Willow Pass Road, at night, in 1955. This paticular photo was taken on “New Car Announcement Night”.

Amazing!

Click on the tag below titled “Claycord Online Museum” to view other items.

1 Silva September 19, 2017 at 2:05 PM

I bought my 75 Skylark there!😁

2 Peter Vasconi September 19, 2017 at 2:31 PM

My grandmother’s house was across the street

3 Larry September 19, 2017 at 3:15 PM

Remember going with my parents to that glass showroom in the 50’s as a kid to see the new model years seemed magical to a kid then, that is how my generation was so easily entertained.

4 Giddyup September 19, 2017 at 5:07 PM

That must have been when it was an Oldsmobile dealership. The “88” was an Oldsmobile. And, look at that price … $2,465.00 in 1955! My parents bought their Buicks from Lehmer’s.

5 Silva September 19, 2017 at 6:26 PM

Oh jeez, better make that a LeSabre. Foiled again!

6 Chester Kitty September 19, 2017 at 7:00 PM

Great picture! Does anyone remember Fitzpatrick Chevrolet on the corner where the police station is now? I would go with my Dad down there all the time to look at new cars. We couldn’t afford one but he liked to look!

7 FRANKY September 19, 2017 at 7:49 PM

Charlie Mann bought the Olds Erv Lehmer sold!

8 FRANKY September 19, 2017 at 7:50 PM

Right, Carolyn?

9 Greg94528 September 19, 2017 at 8:27 PM

Look how nice everyone in the showroom were dressed. You don’t see that anymore. I actually miss the days of those beautiful American cars… they were so dramatic. They rode really nice too. It was exciting to go see the new models when they were first unveiled, or even a few days before the event by peeking through the dealer’s back fence as a kid. Those were exciting times. I can’t think of any new car introductions now that are glamorous or exciting.

10 Dr. Jellyfinger September 19, 2017 at 9:31 PM

Didn’t Lehmer’s handle AMC for awhile too?
I swear I can remember buying parts there back in the 70’s.

11 Dawg September 19, 2017 at 11:23 PM

People dressed up to car shop in those days.

12 Badge1104 September 20, 2017 at 8:08 AM

people dressed up in those days to go shopping or to travel too. just look at how Travelers at the airport look nowadays. They look more like Greyhound bus Travelers instead of jet airline passengers.

13 Badge1104 September 20, 2017 at 8:18 AM

This picture brought some good memories back. I was a boy and Concord in the 60s and I remember those new car introductions and how exciting they were! I distinctly remember when the new Tornado came out and also the new restyled Thunderbirds. at the local Concord car dealers. I specifically remember Lehmers, Jefferson Motors and Earl Williams Ford
.. Thanks for the Memories:-)

14 TIFOKCIS September 20, 2017 at 8:48 AM

#12

Something about pajama pants and America’s decline…………………

I just can’t quite put my finger on it.

15 Save Pleasant Hill September 20, 2017 at 9:33 AM
16 Kirkwood September 20, 2017 at 12:44 PM

You could always tell when it was new car model time. The sky was lit up with search lights that could be seen for miles. I loved those old WW II search lights, I don’t think any are left.

17 Silva September 20, 2017 at 1:34 PM

Kirkwood, I always liked those too. If I remember correctly. there were always men walking behind them pushing the huge housings and rotating the beams in circles in the sky. Later they became automated, and then disappeared altogether. They did look exciting, and very cool!