43-year-old Concord Man Identified As Victim of Solano County Plane Crash

September 11, 2017 14:00 pm · 10 comments

The Solano County coroner’s office has identified two men who died in a plane crash Saturday as Terry Vallee, 67, of Arcata, and his son Preston Vallee, 43, of Concord.

The Solano County Sheriff’s Office said the single-engine plane crashed in the 2200 block of Lake Herman Road north of Benicia and west of Interstate Highway 680.

Terry Vallee was flying the Beechcraft Bonanza BE-36 plane from Buchanan Field Airport in Concord to Arcata-Eureka Airport in McKinleyville in Humboldt County, according to the Civil Air Patrol.

Civil Air Patrol officials said a ground team located the plane around 4 a.m. Sunday.

The Vallees were the only ones aboard the plane.

1 Simonpure September 11, 2017 at 2:13 PM

What a terrible way to go. RIP

2 Josh September 11, 2017 at 7:22 PM

Very sad. I met Preston when we remodeled our house years ago. Prayers to the family.

3 Ricardoh September 11, 2017 at 8:59 PM

Be interesting to know what happened. Should have been high enough to pick out a better place to try and land on.

4 Anon September 11, 2017 at 9:53 PM

They’re not very high once they reach the Benicia bridge.

5 RunnerDope September 11, 2017 at 11:30 PM

3 & 4, you have no idea what you are talking about.

6 Ricardoh September 12, 2017 at 9:05 AM

Runner have you ever made an emergency landing? I have successfully.

7 RunnerDope September 12, 2017 at 10:34 AM

But you have no idea what this pilot was dealing with. Was it a bird strike, a mechanical malfunction causing lack of control, fuel exhaustion, a medical emergency? In most of those cases, you don’t get to decide on your landing site.

BTW, I have kept my own planes at CCR since 1984.

8 Ricardoh September 12, 2017 at 12:56 PM

All of those are a possibility and I never said anything different. My bet is the engine quit.

9 Fly September 12, 2017 at 8:22 PM

People always want to know how or why someone died. Let me ask you, did you know Preston or his father? Did he have an impact on your life or share an opinion on something? I knew Preston, he was one of a kind. May his family and friends find peace in this difficult time. RIP Preston Vallee. Doesn’t matter the way you went out, it’s the way you lived.

10 Mike September 13, 2017 at 8:04 AM

This was very sad news. I have know Preston since 2003. We have done several projects for his company and he was a person I enjoyed to have talks with. Very good hearted person!! Going to be missed.