Claycord – Talk About Whatever

September 8, 2017 19:20 pm · 80 comments

whatever

Happy Friday to all the wonderful citizens in the City of Claycord.

This is a post with no subject, you can talk about whatever you want. If breaking news happens (such a shooting, earthquake, etc.), or you hear about something newsworthy, feel free to post it here.

Please Note: Users who use multiple names will be deleted. Please choose a name so others can easily chat with you. Users must provide a name in the ‘name field’, please do not use the ‘@’ symbol in the name field.

1 Lambie September 8, 2017 at 7:20 PM

First?

2 Lambie September 8, 2017 at 7:22 PM

Is anyone going to see Stephen King’s It movie this weekend?

3 Irene September 8, 2017 at 7:25 PM

Has anyone had their dog or cat spayed or neutered at ARF? What was your experience? If you used their mobile clinic, how early did you show-up since it is a first come first served?

4 Silva September 8, 2017 at 7:30 PM

Fourth?

5 BOOYAH! September 8, 2017 at 7:32 PM

Third!!!

6 YamKitty September 8, 2017 at 7:40 PM

First! Happy Friday.

7 paranoid pablito September 8, 2017 at 7:40 PM

How many surrealists does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
Banana!

8 Sally September 8, 2017 at 7:44 PM

Contra Costa Boulevard was a nightmare early today–around 3:30 p.m.
What has happened?

9 Cowellian September 8, 2017 at 7:51 PM

Cowellian’s First!

10 Silva September 8, 2017 at 9:21 PM

I hope you all have a nice safe weekend.

11 Shasta Daisy September 8, 2017 at 9:37 PM

Florida, be safe.

✌🏼

12 Mika September 8, 2017 at 9:39 PM

Pray for Irma/Harvey/earthquake and fire victims. So much going on in our world.

13 Atticus Thraxx September 8, 2017 at 9:44 PM

Small list this week and next week will be worse. Gotta pay the bills.

That’s a figgin coyote!: http://i.imgur.com/S24nGO6.gifv

Better call Saul: http://i.imgur.com/veyIN4M.gifv

Not cool nature, not cool: https://i.imgur.com/Q0PiY1Y.gifv

A very lucky young lad: https://i.imgur.com/JMpBvqh.gifv

Air hare: http://i.imgur.com/QU8u1jK.gifv

Cutest dang otter you’ll ever see: https://i.imgur.com/fX5iHkj.gifv

Mail shredder: http://i.imgur.com/cB6uySf.gifv

Beautifully done: https://i.imgur.com/W5yPKgw.gifv

Nope: http://i.imgur.com/lnTJS8W.gifv

Florida…what are ya gonna do: https://i.imgur.com/KwnnEiv.jpg

Worth the wait: http://i.imgur.com/zQHVclH.gifv

Skeetos’ out the ying-yang: https://gfycat.com/TenseQuerulousJohndory

Wrong place. Wrong time: https://thumbs.gfycat.com/WindingGlitteringFlickertailsquirrel-size_restricted.gif

Cats truly are awholes: http://i.imgur.com/NV1eG6H.gifv

No dogs allowed. There’s a sign: http://i.imgur.com/NV1eG6H.gifv

All jacked up on the nip: https://gfycat.com/ElaborateCookedAruanas

Seems kinda mean: https://gfycat.com/UnsungComplicatedGlobefish

14 KAD September 8, 2017 at 11:06 PM

Atticus – that is really mean.

15 TexAg93 September 9, 2017 at 12:59 AM

Gig ’em Aggies!! Beat the hell outta Nicholls State!!

16 Eudamonia September 9, 2017 at 7:10 AM

Concord, please say NO to Amazon headquarters in Concord. Amazon has a long history of employee abuse. We can do better. Wooing big business will only amplify our traffic and congestion. Please urge the city and Mayor Hoffmeister to cease their talks with the behemoth. Thank you.

17 Concordejet September 9, 2017 at 8:38 AM

If you understand English, press 1. If you do not understand English, press 2.
Recording on an Australian tax help line

18 Strad September 9, 2017 at 8:58 AM

Amazon needs room for up to 50,000 employees in no2 headquarters. More than the area can deal with.

19 Bob September 9, 2017 at 9:12 AM

Yesterday I got a phone call from a “Rep” from Microsoft–said I had a problem with my computer–told me to turn on my computer and he would walk me through on how to fix it–I hung up and he called back–hung up again and never heard anything more–checked wit a computer friend and he said it was a scam–be careful out there–

20 THE ANIMAL September 9, 2017 at 9:18 AM

Just heard Troy Gentry of Montgomery Gentry was killed in a helicopter
crash………RIP……………………………

21 Anon Today September 9, 2017 at 10:33 AM

Sally,
Just the norm since school is back in session and also people are trying to avoid that Disaster at Pleasant Hill Road where the Worlds Longest Lasting Sewer Project is taking place 🙁

22 Silva September 9, 2017 at 11:21 AM

Atticus thraxx, I’ll gladly accept any quantity of your quality pulls OMG, nipped in the bud is absolutely killing me!!! I shared it, and suddenly I’m targeted with medical MJ ads!🙃😂 You might be amazed how long I watched the water bowl video before.. nevermind😉😁 I hope you have some time in the coming week smelling the roses.

23 TIFOKCIS September 9, 2017 at 12:00 PM

Thankfully that little fire in the Columbia River Gorge was started by kids tossing firecrackers, just kids tossing firecrackers and one of firecrackers must have veered off its path. You know everyone has tossed a firecracker in a forest during the driest season of the year.

Just kids and a little veering.

24 FCA September 9, 2017 at 1:08 PM

California sucks!!!

25 TIFOKCIS September 9, 2017 at 5:04 PM

2/3 of the West Coast wild fires are started by humans.

3/4 of the West Coast is……………………

Just stating a fact.

26 Uptonogood September 9, 2017 at 7:33 PM

I must be getting really old! I want the City to enact an ordinance that requires all ice cream trucks to shut off their music when they stop to sell their product. One sits on our street for 5 minutes with that damned Camptown Races blaring thru the walls and windows.

27 Father Time September 9, 2017 at 9:42 PM

To FCA……

Help make California a better place to live…BYE BYE!!

28 J. September 10, 2017 at 2:20 AM

@Eudamonia
Amazon is requiring an International Airport near the HQ, and other amenities.

Concord does not qualify. No staff time should be wasted on exploring or wooing this dead end.

29 FCA September 10, 2017 at 7:48 AM

To Father Time

Nothing can help this cesspool of a state. And I am leaving to enjoy life!!!

30 Silva September 10, 2017 at 9:32 AM

My ancient cat seems to be suffering from dementia. Her behavior is becoming so very different. She breaks out crying plaintively from time to time, throughout the days and nights. I haven’t seen this in an animal before, but I’ve only had one other pet this old, and he was a horse.

31 Cat September 10, 2017 at 10:19 AM

@ Silva, I had this happen with an older cat. She became disoriented at night and would cry. I plugged in nightlights throughout the house and she stopped. It also turned out that she has pretty severe arthritis, and some of the sporadic crying was from that as well. She is now on meds for the pain and doing much better. You may want to check with your vet. Good luck!

32 Kirkwood September 10, 2017 at 10:36 AM

Silva – It’s true that cats can suffer from dementia with age. Sometimes at night when the house is quiet your kitty can become lost and forget where she is. I hope she has been to the vet and given a full workup to ensure she is not suffering pain from some ailment.

33 WC resident September 10, 2017 at 11:09 AM

Bob #19 – I love it when the Microsoft guy calls. Just pretend you are a complete idiot and you can work the scammer into a screaming rage. You can start by pretending to follow their directions. I have a little buzzer thing that makes cow mooing noises. I tell them I’m killing cows while waiting for the computer. Since the scammers are nearly always from India it irritates them as their religions treat cows as sacred.

It is a scammer. They talk people into downloading remote control software that takes over the machine. They then want money to “fix” it.

34 Anon-2-U September 10, 2017 at 11:48 AM

@silva #30

I have a Senior Meezer Geezer (Siamese 18 years old) that has been doing the same thing for about a year now. Thanks goodness he has “retired” to the backyard, as he used to be a scrapper, and isn’t as tough as he used to be. He will do it during the day in the backyard and in the house at night.

I’ve been reading that Feliway can help with their confusion/forgetfulness, but haven’t purchased any to try it for myself.

35 Atticus Thraxx September 10, 2017 at 11:58 AM

Cats rule! Hope yours is ok Silvia. Sitting on a Southwest flight now and some lady has a cat in a bag and it’s not happy. As bad as a screaming kid. Phone off now, see y’all in a few hours!

36 Kirkwood September 10, 2017 at 1:33 PM

The night light idea is a good one. I have one in the cat’s bathroom where the litter box is. The new ones use a single LED and draw practically nothing.

37 Silva September 10, 2017 at 1:51 PM

Thanks, to all of you. I guess I better make another attempt to get her seen by a doctor. It has been all but impossible in the past, but for the one time she was too sick to hide or put up a struggle, many years back. I guess if I got my 14 pounder in recently, I can try again with this little lady. I do count myself lucky she’s not Siamese, the voices they have!😱

38 Kentucky Derby September 10, 2017 at 2:39 PM

Silva… hang in there with the elderly kitty. Cats rock! As long as you have a good vet, she’ll be in good care. Please keep us posted. We’re animal lovers!

39 Kirkwood September 10, 2017 at 3:29 PM

Silva – I have to trick my cat to get her into her carrier. I put the carrier out the day before with the door open. Life continues as usual. An hour or so before the appointment I casually approach her wherever she happens to be sleeping, scoop her up and put her in the carrier. The wait before departure time allows her to calm down. While at the vet don’t forget to get her claws clipped.

40 Ancient Mariner September 10, 2017 at 3:41 PM

@ Silva,
A veterinary nurse told me the best way to transport a cat to the vet – in a pillowcase! It’s not smooth and hard like a cat-carrier so the cat doesn’t slide about. It’s snug and soothing for the cat and she becomes still. You might get some strange looks from the other owners, though.

41 KAD September 10, 2017 at 3:55 PM

To get my cat in the cat carrier I would place it on a bed or table so it was easier for me to reach and then I would pick them up and cover their eyes while I slid them in. Good luck Silva. It is hard having an older cat.

42 Mary Fouts September 10, 2017 at 4:33 PM

Silva – I am a dog person, but can suggest a couple of things.

I agree that your kitty needs to be seen by a vet asap, could be dementia or some other medical issue. Secondly, your vet can prescribe a sedative to get your kitty into a manageable state, just call your vet and ask about it. No worries, happens all of the time, with dogs and cats alike!

43 Original G September 10, 2017 at 6:08 PM

Make pet carrier part of their environment instead of seeing carrier in from the garage equals a trip to vet. Ours is under a table and has in it a foam pad under a towel from one of her other beds. Is one of several places she has available depending on time of day. Morning sun is her chair in family room afternoon sun is window ledge in laundry room. Comes down to how good at the training of humans your cat is.

44 Silva September 10, 2017 at 7:55 PM

Kirkwood, That’s a technique that’s worked for me too, with other cats.

I currently own two of the original ‘fraidy cats. It’s been nearly five years since the cat I moved from my Oakland home to Claycord has gathered up the last few bits of his personality that he’d completely lost, and put himself back together like he used to be. No more quivering mass of raw nerves, and he’s decided I’m alright after all.💙

Ancient Mariner, that’s how I used to take my serpent to my mom’s preschool classes during reptile week! It also sounds well worth a try.

This is the last cat my mom adopted before she died. She had her several years, but she was already clearly very old. She’s a peculiar soul. We could never touch or pet her with two hands, she seemed to think that was a precursor to being picked up, which she wanted NO part of whatsoever. Years ago I had the brilliant idea that I would start picking her up for short spells, and get her past her fear of it, and she lost all the little trust in me she was starting to develop. My mom said “Why did you have to go and do that?” and “I told you not to!”. I can now pet her with both hands, and she jumps up into her chair when I put her food down, so I can give her a taxi ride to her bowl, so I can probably do this.

Thanks everyone for all your help and encouragement!

45 Silva September 10, 2017 at 8:50 PM

I learned a new word today; pulchritudinous

pulchritudinous. Even though it looks (and sounds) like it would describe a disease or a bad attitude, pulchritudinous actually describes a person of breathtaking, heartbreaking…beauty. Let’s be honest: Your opportunities for using this word in casual conversation are probably pretty slim.

First I’ve ever heard of this one.

46 Kirkwood September 11, 2017 at 10:41 AM

Somebody mentioned the cat sliding around in the carrier. My carriers have wall to wall carpeting. Some folks use a towel but the cat usually bunches it up and it becomes useless.

If you are about to buy a carrier, get one with another door on the top. It makes it easier to get the animal in and out.

47 Kids Working September 11, 2017 at 3:54 PM

Would your children or grandchildren work in a field harvesting fruits and vegetables? Or maybe work at a place starting out cleaning floors and toilets? It seems back in the day that’s how you started working at a place and worked your way up the ladder. Do kids do jobs like that anymore? Just curious…

48 KAD September 11, 2017 at 6:02 PM

Thunder? Did anyone else hear thunder a while back?

49 Antler September 11, 2017 at 9:32 PM

Surely did, KAD….. very soft, though.

50 Silva September 12, 2017 at 7:26 AM

KAD. I’m embarrassed to say I thought that must have been someone rolling their bin out to the street for collection. Later when I remembered it wasn’t the right day for it, I realized what it really was.

51 Silva September 12, 2017 at 7:54 AM

Kids Working, I don’t know if this helps, but in the early 70s I turned down work as a motel maid in East Oakland (I lived in Claycord). I was registered with and had been working for Kelly Girl doing office jobs. I applied for unemployment and was at first denied for turning down work, but won the claim on appeal. Never heard from Kelly Girl again. I always felt I was too fair skinned to work full time outdoors. Many times I’ve been tempted, but my better judgement won out. I don’t know about what kind of work anyone else would or wouldn’t do. My son works outdoors but not in agriculture, there’s very little opportunity for that around here nowadays. Before he started in his current vocation he worked in catering, which is physically demanding, but more stressful than cleaning floors and toilets IMO. Food Service, especially kitchen work, may be the local equivalent of field work. Lots of scrubbing!

52 Cafe girl September 12, 2017 at 8:25 AM

My son started scrubbing pots and pans in the kitchen of a restaurant he then went on to grilling hamburgers and hotdog all the way through collage. He is now working in his field. He knows what it is like to work hard.

53 Original G September 12, 2017 at 8:38 AM

There is in our polite society a ragged fringe which take the time to prod others into reflection in how they express ideas. Over the years have found people watching to be very rewarding. An the different approaches that can be used to steer people into doing what is needed.

There are those who put bumper stickers on their back window for rear view entertainment at stop lights.
“Save water fight forest fires with Delta Smelt”

Perhaps the most challenging are the truly rebellious ones.
…………..

Last week a co-worker retired and there was the usual get together which lasted hours to wish him well and recollections of interactions and projects worked on over thirty years. Worked with this man daily for better than ten years in one of out shops. The most rewarding time of my 42 years at our company. Bosses had no clue what we did, would find a problem and take care of it usually with materials already stocked in our spares warehouse. We tossed ideas back n forth, there were no bad ideas, no one kept score, then we changed one variable and gauged results. If it worked went onto next variable if not backed it out and then tried next variable. He with his mechanical background me on the electrical side. I shall miss working with him. Made him a bumper sticker “No one realizes what I do until I don’t do it”.
…………….

There have been a very small handful of managers I have worked for who were gifts. One in particular retired last month. He was one who worked 10 – 14 hours a day and would come in on Saturday for a few hours too.
There are a very few managers who hit what I call the parent lottery and he was one of them. One thing about him was when he said Thank You there was absolutely no doubt he absolutely meant it. Had closed door meeting with him 8 years ago and was amazed how similar he is to what Randy Pausch talked about in his ‘The Last Lecture’.

I give these two videos to all new managers.
They are very much worth watching.
New parents, children and grand children as well.

The Last Lecture
Time Management

54 Kirkwood September 12, 2017 at 8:47 AM

Awesome video of the eclipse on APOD this morning.

55 Silva September 12, 2017 at 9:55 AM

Thank you Kirkwood! It’s just amazing how the Moon is the perfect size and in the perfect position to block the whole body of the sun. yet not cover the activity emanating from it’s surface. I marvel at the odds of that.

56 WC resident September 12, 2017 at 10:49 AM

@Silva #55 – I too have wondered at times how common it is for a moon to be nearly the same size as the sun. For us the Moon is 0.52 degrees wide and the Sun is 0.54 degrees wide. During a total eclipse we see a 0.01 degree rim around the Moon. Size wise, the Sun is 400 times bigger than the Moon but the Moon is about 400 times closer to the Earth.

57 Jojo Potato September 12, 2017 at 11:55 AM

@WC – According to the local astronomy experts in about 500,000 years there will no longer be any total solar eclipses because the moon is moving away from us and is hence getting smaller. So I’ve just considered the current size match just a coincedence. Your views my vary. I’m not that concerned and just enjoy the view.

58 Iforget September 12, 2017 at 11:29 PM

What is it about wholefoods that people would pay 2$ for one single serving of Mochi? Or ten bucks for a small container of tuna salad?

59 Antler September 13, 2017 at 3:42 AM

Herr Thraxx, short but stellar presentation, sir! I do love me a good law enforcement take-down, but for me the tangerine was the best surprise of all this week. Thanks for your editorial skill and your kindness in sharing!

60 Kids Working September 13, 2017 at 7:43 AM

Wow two hours of thunder and lightning and a power outage…

Silva great story…my mom was a Kelley Girl and moved up the ladder in banking.

Cafe girl…glad to hear that your son works hard. I’m not sure if that’s the norm any more.

61 Silva September 13, 2017 at 1:28 PM
62 Silva September 13, 2017 at 1:35 PM

Kids Working, If I’d taken that motel maid job, there was just no telling where it could’ve led!

63 Cafe girl September 13, 2017 at 3:52 PM

Anybody know why all the police where at Westwood elementary today

64 anon September 13, 2017 at 4:27 PM

US Bank in downtown Concord was robbed by a black male that was last seen getting into a white older van. No weapons were seen.

65 oh yeah September 14, 2017 at 8:33 AM

They received an anonymous bomb threat via telephone.

66 Anon Today September 14, 2017 at 9:32 AM

When you hear that 580 is closed down……….Turn you car around, Go back home and Call it a day. I guess maybe you need an “app” for that 🙁

67 Silva September 14, 2017 at 4:11 PM

We drove over the hill to have lunch at the New Mecca. Boy, have they prettied up the place since the last time we were there 29.75 years ago. What LARGE clean modern bathrooms!😳 We ate in the old section for old times sake, but it was almost unrecognizable with fresh paint everywhere and the gorgeous new ceiling..

68 KAD September 14, 2017 at 5:58 PM

Boy, something is really wrong with the new signal at Treat and Clayton Road. I was driving from Concord Blvd to Clayton Road. The left turn lane was backed up into the go straight lane. This never happened before. At least not at 3:00 in the afternoon.

69 Pucky September 14, 2017 at 8:27 PM

A small younger dog found my house and I am trying to locate the owner. No collar/tags…? Tan with short fur and a curled up tail…A cut little MALE that looks to be neutered. Pine Hollow Road and Mitchell Canyon Rd area. Panadero Way to be exact. I put a sign on the light post with my tel #. Please show proof of ownership so he doesn’t get eaten! He does have some special markings.. Name one! Collars with readable tags are a wonderful invention!!!

70 Duchess of Martinez September 14, 2017 at 8:33 PM

@Mayor
If you know why a huge, loud low flying unmarked military helicopter would be flying over here in MTZ towards the Marina and Shell refinery please let us know. Not typical

Thanks

71 KAD September 14, 2017 at 11:48 PM

Silva – How was the food? I have never been there but they did cater an event where I worked years ago and I liked the food.

72 Iforget September 15, 2017 at 5:53 AM

Is that a drone or a star?
I’m looking towards kirker pass

73 Iforget September 15, 2017 at 5:59 AM

Silva, I’m out here today cause my mom took a temp job for gulf then moved out here when chevron merged. Otherwise id be back east freezing in the winter.

74 Dr. Jellyfinger September 15, 2017 at 7:38 AM

When a school gets a bomb threat it means someone needs more time to finish homework.

75 Kirkwood September 15, 2017 at 9:57 AM

@Duchess – There is an organization at Buchanan field that collects and restores Korean and Vietnam war era helicopters.

76 Giddyup September 15, 2017 at 10:45 AM

During finals week at UC Berkeley, they got so many bomb threats in the Mathematics Building (Evans Hall) that they stopped calling for the building to evacuate. After a while, you only knew there had been a bomb threat if the Fire Department discretely showed up and parked in front of the building … which somehow wasn’t that reassuring.

77 Creeker September 15, 2017 at 3:00 PM

My Transit app on my phone reports BART delayed every day now, is it contract negotiations time?

78 Duchess of Martinez September 15, 2017 at 3:20 PM

@Kirkwood

That makes sense considering how strangely noisy it was and I think the blades were more paddle like too – although it was flying low
Thanks – will let neighbors know this too bc they were first concerned and then just curious bc we don’t typically have military birds flying overhead around here – infact we don’t typically have any helicopters:)

79 Silva September 15, 2017 at 4:13 PM

KAD, If you’ve eaten it catered (as I have too), I remember it as being the very same as the restaurant food, depending on which items were ordered. We eat home cooked Mexican food often, so I’m a tough critic of Mexican restaurant food. I do think it’s good, it’s reasonably priced, and portions are large. It was a nice drive (we went over Kirker Pass), and an enjoyable hassle free outing. The last time our family went my son was a little baby, so the changes were very interesting. As we were leaving they were starting to get busy. We didn’t have breakfast, and I think we arrived around eleven. I would recommend it, though it’s no longer as rustic and funky, it’s iconic, and you’d probably enjoy it. .

80 KAD September 15, 2017 at 5:23 PM

Is it time for a LAST. I think so.
Thanks Silva