The Water Cooler – ESPN Removes Sportscaster from Game Because of His Name

August 23, 2017 12:00 pm · 64 comments

The “Water Cooler” is a feature on CLAYCORD.com where we will ask you a question or provide a topic, and you will talk about it.

The “Water Cooler” will be up Monday-Friday at noon.

Today’s question:

In the wake of the events in Charlottesville, Va., ESPN decided to pull one of its announcers from calling a University of Virginia football game — because his name is Robert Lee, according to Fox News.

Lee, an Asian-American sportscaster who started with the network in 2016, was moved to a different game “simply because of the coincidence of his name,” ESPN said, referencing the Confederate general Robert E. Lee.

QUESTION: Good move or bad move by ESPN?

Talk about it….

1 Simonpure August 23, 2017 at 12:04 PM

Absolutely the stupidest thing I’ve ever heard. Get over it. You can’t change history. All this crap has gotten way out of hand. GROW UP already.

2 Old Otis August 23, 2017 at 12:06 PM

Oh my God !!!!

3 Jerk August 23, 2017 at 12:07 PM

LAME. ESPN should remove that moron Shannon Sharpie.
As the genocide continues and yet that TV that you all watch Says Nothing about it, in fact deceitfully covers it up.

Cancel your Cable. Internet only.

4 No Thanks August 23, 2017 at 12:07 PM

One of the more STUPID things I saw today.

5 Dawg August 23, 2017 at 12:09 PM

I absolutely love how the snowflakes are finding everything offensive. It’s a good move because it demonstrates the absurdity of the left and makes my day by giving me a good laugh.

6 USA August 23, 2017 at 12:10 PM

If you are a Trump hater, and/or are still confused as to how in the hell he was elected (and will win by a landslide next election), this sums it up in a nice little “nut” shell for you.

Things like what ESPN did does not make one compassionate towards others feelings, it’s makes you a psycho. Americans are tired of overly PC psychos. We know which bathroom to use, we support law and order, discipline and education. We support good work ethic, and also support getting people back on their feet and into the job market, not rewarding them NOT to work. Welcome to the new America, get used to it.

7 PO'd August 23, 2017 at 12:14 PM

Political Correctness run amok. The sportscaster is Asian-American, so he is no relation to Robert E Lee, and 150+ years since the era.
Stupid move by ESPN. Total revisionism.
“Whoever controls the past, controls the future” -George Orwell

8 Kentucky Derby August 23, 2017 at 12:15 PM

I learned a long time ago to stay out of divisive situations, and focus on my own life. It’s a wise thing to do to keep from alienating people in my life who may not agree with me. Keeping my eyes and ears open, and keeping quiet is a learned behavior. Some things are better left unsaid.

9 Anon Awake August 23, 2017 at 12:16 PM

More catering to the lowest of the low. When did we all vote to do away with majority rules???

10 ClayDen August 23, 2017 at 12:22 PM

I think if you look up the term “political correctness” now, you get ESPN. A once great network has gone down the tubes due to the northeast liberals that run it. Sad.

11 The Mamba August 23, 2017 at 12:26 PM

Ridiculous. ESPN has been lamer than lame for a long time now though, so not surprising.

12 Maryanne August 23, 2017 at 12:33 PM

Stupid & over the top

13 William August 23, 2017 at 12:40 PM

ESPN has been circling the drains for some time now due to their overt SJW agenda. This is just the latest example of their stupidity. They’ve lost 13 million subscribers (101 million to 88 million) over the past 18 months due to their insistence in putting leftist politics all over their sports broadcasting. People are voting with their feet.

14 makoman August 23, 2017 at 12:43 PM

What’s next ? forced name changes if our given name offends someone ? our country is completely out of control , well ESPN has offended me so I believe they should also be taken off the air , I hope Mr Lee sues them for everything they have , this is one time I would support a law suite

15 Lee Corso's Head August 23, 2017 at 12:43 PM

This is a complete non-story. They move broadcast crews around all the time. Robert Lee will be working a game that weekend. This wouldn’t have mattered to anyone until Fox News made a big deal out of it.

16 Chris August 23, 2017 at 12:54 PM

Like many things these days, it’s just easier to do and not think.

17 Incognito August 23, 2017 at 12:55 PM

It’s asinine.

18 Concord Grape August 23, 2017 at 12:56 PM

Once again the inmates are running the Asylum

19 The Professor August 23, 2017 at 1:09 PM

I will now toss my Sara Lee products and Lee blue jeans into the garbage. Not because of their racist name but because the jeans don’t fit from eating too much pound cake.

20 Rollo Tomasi August 23, 2017 at 1:09 PM

@15 Lee Corso’s Head:

You’re right, broadcast crews get changed all the time. It’s the stated reason for this change that is beyond reason. If that escapes you, you’re part of the problem.

21 foonman August 23, 2017 at 1:16 PM

Story or Nonstory, what you need to understand is : Political correctness will destroy this country as we know it…….

22 Sacto Rob August 23, 2017 at 1:21 PM

Perhaps the high water mark of the current PC lunacy? We can only hope.

23 art August 23, 2017 at 1:33 PM

24 Uh huh August 23, 2017 at 1:36 PM

Yeah, this is not true. The guy decided to not attend himself. Fox News being divisive yet again, shame on you Claycord.

25 Silva August 23, 2017 at 1:43 PM

Ridiculous.

26 Pony August 23, 2017 at 1:46 PM

Lame. They pull this guy because of his name but let Stephen A. Smith continue with his racist and absurd rants.

27 It'sme August 23, 2017 at 1:52 PM

Not sure whether to laugh or cry a this point.
It is just ridiculous.

28 Confused Whiteguy August 23, 2017 at 1:55 PM

Why do I only see white people at these rally’s tearing down these statues? I confused! Is this some type of white guilt or something? I just don’t get it.

29 WC resident August 23, 2017 at 2:13 PM

You forgot to note that the sportscaster’s nickname is “General Lee.”

I personally thought it was an odd thing to change out the broadcaster due to his name. Robert Lee, the sportscaster, is an Asian dude. Robert E. Lee, the Confederate general, came from a family that originally immigrated here from England.

@The Professor #19 – Tina Fey suggests eating sheet cake, not pound cake. Your Lees will feel better.

30 Rilerwest August 23, 2017 at 2:22 PM

Trump has already guaranteed his 2nd term in office cause of all the snowflakes out there doing stupid things like this.

31 Dorothy August 23, 2017 at 2:23 PM

Next they will be “dealing” with names like Black, Brown, or even Red. Maybe they should also hire someone who can translate names into the English version to make sure they don’t get any other “offensive” names. Maybe make us go back to working at whatever kind of jobs are implied in our names. Price for a seller? Sweet for an ice cream/candy maker. And so on and so forth. Or should that be “sew.”

32 Rilerwest August 23, 2017 at 2:26 PM

To answer a comment above, you see white people with BLM t shirts on and tearing down statues because they are too stupid to know any better, it’s called I wanna be black and offended.

33 Roz August 23, 2017 at 2:36 PM

This is getting too crazy,..what’s next!?!

34 Vandyposh August 23, 2017 at 3:00 PM
35 JWB August 23, 2017 at 3:12 PM

@ art #23

Let’s see:
“remove controversial statues, flags, people, markers and other monuments from public grounds so we are letting terrorists win.”

that means you believe US Marines are supporting terrorist?

Or did you mean your statement only applys to statutes you approve but not to statutes in general?

Just wondering ……

36 America August 23, 2017 at 3:19 PM

“BEAM ME UP, SCOTTY!”

37 TIFOKCIS August 23, 2017 at 3:20 PM

Makes perfect sense in a Progressive, Liberal, Democrat’s ‘mind’.

38 MoJo August 23, 2017 at 3:20 PM

Since he’s Asian/American, he should just change the spelling of his last name to Li. There, problem solved!

39 Dalinian August 23, 2017 at 3:25 PM

Same thing happened to Al Hitler….

40 Former left August 23, 2017 at 3:25 PM

This is exactly why , for the first time in my life did not vote Democratic.

41 Original G August 23, 2017 at 3:26 PM

Their decision pull Mr. Lee due to his name is absolute proof executive offices at ESPN are Testosterone Free.

42 Atticus Thraxx August 23, 2017 at 3:35 PM

ESPN is owned by Disney.

43 Irish Hooligan August 23, 2017 at 3:44 PM

You really can’t make this stuff up. LOL.

44 RANDOM TASK August 23, 2017 at 3:51 PM

Well I guess the real AMERICANS all commented on this so I will tip my cap to those honorable AMERICANS who obviously are aware and tired of PC terrorism ….yes you heard it here first ….PC TERRORISM

45 Sick of it August 23, 2017 at 4:01 PM

ENOUGH ALREADY!

46 Rolo Tomasi August 23, 2017 at 4:39 PM

@ Uh Huh 24

This MSNBC clip is courtesy of that other bastion of conservative thought, YouTube (owned by Google):

Don’t let any facts get in your way.

47 chuckie the troll August 23, 2017 at 6:12 PM

Stupid is what happens when you give Antifas and Snowflakes anything approaching credibility. Left-wing violence is a thing. Too bad the politicians in places like Berkeley are in bed (sheets) with them.

48 THE ANIMAL August 23, 2017 at 6:15 PM

Re-frigging-diculous……………………….

49 Cautiously Informed August 23, 2017 at 6:33 PM

What are all the helpless coddled snowflakes going to do when it’s time for them to make their own way in world? Call their mommies to get rescued every time every little something they don’t like goes wrong?

50 Larry August 23, 2017 at 7:30 PM

Beyond ridiculous this is getting old libs.

51 Original G August 23, 2017 at 7:30 PM

“What are all the helpless coddled snowflakes going to do when it’s time for them to make their own way in world?”

They’ll be waiting for the Lawyer to read the Will in hopes they can go back to school for another 60 semesters. Failing that they will try for work at ESPN.

52 FCA August 23, 2017 at 7:53 PM

Absolutely ridiculous, if true!!!

53 tulaby August 23, 2017 at 8:17 PM

dumb & dumber

54 Voter94521 August 23, 2017 at 8:42 PM

So according to ESPN, everyone named Robert Lee should be ashamed of their name. What’s next, should we go after everyone named Thomas Jackson (aka Stonewall Jackson) too?

55 Deplorable August 23, 2017 at 8:52 PM

URGENT!!! STAND AGAINST RACISM!!!
Send your $1, $2, $20 & $100 bills to me for immediate disposal. Do not try this at home. I am a certified monetary disposal technician. I will properly dispose of your racist money and you can brag to anyone who will listen that you are the most politically correct person you know.

56 It makes sense to me August 23, 2017 at 8:54 PM

I hear the NFL players are going to Boycott drinking water out of Dixie Cups on the sidelines.

57 dinkydau August 23, 2017 at 10:33 PM

Lee is common surname many Chinese people have. What about Davis? Jefferson Davis was the President of the Confederacy.
What about Jackson? There is Stonewall Jackson, the Confederate General who fought at the Battle of Gettysburg. Will all those people and a half million or more Chinese have to change there name.
Stupid. Wont watch ESPN

58 P.HILL RESIDENT August 23, 2017 at 10:48 PM

this whole controversy is laughable. what a joke the people of this cointry have become. big ol bunch of pussycats

59 Anon August 24, 2017 at 6:36 AM

Better be careful keep removing history and you will remove slavery from history as well then what ?

60 Mimi (original) August 24, 2017 at 9:43 AM

What a STUPID and IRRATIONAL reason to take someone off the air!!

61 Old Guss August 24, 2017 at 12:28 PM

I think I will change my name to Andrew Jackson from now on….just to piss off the “Regressives”

62 Kirkwood August 24, 2017 at 12:56 PM

Many people don’t think logically, and nowadays businesses feel they can’t afford to lose even one customer.

63 jjshawk August 24, 2017 at 9:54 PM

Now, I am more likely to support businesses that have a spine and stand behind their employees, regardless of politics, political-correctness, or lack-there-of! At this time, I think ESPN sucks the big one. I will not be watching any ESPN broadcasts anytime soon. General Lee has been dead for a long, long, long, eeffing time. Let us move on. Should an innocent person pay for the sins of a coincidental name sake? I don’t think so.!

64 jjshawk August 24, 2017 at 10:39 PM

In light of current events, now, I am more likely to support businesses that have a spine and stand behind their employees, regardless of politics, political-correctness, or lack-there-of! At this time, I think ESPN sucks the big one. I will not be watching any ESPN broadcasts anytime soon. General Lee has been dead for a long, long, long, eeffing time. Let us move on. Should an innocent person pay for the sins of a coincidental namesake? I don’t think so!