The Water Cooler – Going Back to School Before or After Labor Day?

August 16, 2017 12:00 pm · 23 comments

The “Water Cooler” will be up Monday-Friday at noon!

Today’s question:

A few years ago, schools in the MDUSD used to end summer break after Labor Day, but now, they return to school before Labor Day.

Which one do you prefer? Do you think summer break should be a couple of weeks longer?

Talk about it….

1 AnonZ August 16, 2017 at 12:23 PM

I think the kids should not go back until after Labor Day. I just thank my lucky stars my kids are grown and I don’t have to deal with school any longer!

2 The Mamba August 16, 2017 at 12:44 PM

Isn’t there some trade off on the other side, though? Like they get a full week at Thanksgiving now, or something? Any way, no, it shouldn’t be longer, get those criminals back in school.

3 Dee August 16, 2017 at 1:02 PM

All the time I was in school and my kids were in school, school always went back after Labor Day. People use Labor Day as their last hurrah for the summer so the kids are pulled out anyway so why not just leave it the way it was for years and worked just fine And yes I and my kids all went thru MDUSD

4 PH Dad August 16, 2017 at 1:07 PM

After Labor Day.

Moved up into August with the addition of all the “teacher in-service” days and the expansion of the number of holidays during the school year. Number of instructional hours has gone down significantly with the half days on Wednesdays also…

5 Silva August 16, 2017 at 1:10 PM

After!

6 J August 16, 2017 at 1:14 PM

What happened to the days of going back after Labor Day it screws up our vacation because we have to take them earlier rather than in August. We also use to get out the first Friday in June… kids need time to be kids. but my understanding is teachers wanted more breaks and NO ONE defies the teacher’s union

7 labor day August 16, 2017 at 1:28 PM

yes, they should start after labor day.

8 Dorothy August 16, 2017 at 1:28 PM

I’m older than dirt so I never went to school until the Wednesday after Labor Day. Also the school year was broken for Spring and Summer graduation. Oh, and I had to be at school at 8:10 AM from 1st grade onward. Classes didn’t end until 3:10 PM.

Somehow my generation and the ones after me all survived a year of school that started after Labor Day and ended in the middle of June. We got enough sleep, got to school on time, and stayed awake during the day.

9 Concordejet August 16, 2017 at 1:39 PM

going back to school after new year so, that way kids get school supplies for Christmas parents can save money instead of buying school supplies on August/September.

10 ME August 16, 2017 at 2:18 PM

I’d prefer after Labor Day.
The half days once a week at my son’s school really put a wrinkle in things. We’re already paying for tuition and then I have to pay even more for the after school program. It’s just easier to keep the summer a bit longer and keep the weekly schedule simple. I so wish I didn’t have to work–it’d be so much easier to deal with the school schedule!

11 What's wrong with you ? August 16, 2017 at 2:40 PM

I like the new start date. The kids get more days off during the school year. I think it helps with their attention span. On the flip side it can be challenging for parents who work to arrange supervision. But overall, thumbs up here.

12 Big D August 16, 2017 at 2:44 PM

There shouldn’t be a Summer vacation. Kids need all the education they can get. With what’s going on in Charlottesville, some of my neighbor’s kids were asking me about it because they had no idea who Robert E. Lee was. They didn’t know anything about the Confederate or Union Army and didn’t even know who won the Civil War or when it was fought.
Get them away from their video games and back to school.

13 WC Res August 16, 2017 at 3:03 PM

Right, @Dorothy!

14 foonman August 16, 2017 at 3:07 PM

We are soo far behind the rest of the world in education, lets have year round schools. Don’t freak out…..it really makes sense…..

15 Sam August 16, 2017 at 3:15 PM

The schools are in session the same amount of no matter when they start. This is yet another move to get rid of traditional American ways.

16 Suzanne August 16, 2017 at 3:19 PM

I want to argue with #12 and say that I don’t agree about keeping kids in school because I believe kids need to have time to just be kids. But I can’t. I don’t believe kids know how to be kids anymore. They don’t use their imagination, don’t create or build stuff in their backyards, don’t put on neighborhood shows (like we used to). They don’t do much of anything but sit on social media or take selfies. Even the little guys do it. So so sad what they are missing. As far as learning anything in school – I don’t think anything has changed over the last several decades. Kids are getting dumber and dumber and no one cares.

Go back to school before or after Labor Day? I vote for after only because it would be help to have lighter traffic a little longer during the summer months.

17 XlibXDem August 16, 2017 at 3:50 PM

When I went to school we always returned to school after labor day…usually first week into September. He however did not get all those other vacations they get now. Sometimes it seems the kids are never in school.
We just got Christmas Vacation, and Easter Vacation. Yup, that is what they used to be called and accepted as. ( not winter break, and spring break)

18 Puffandstuff August 17, 2017 at 6:00 AM

after!

19 Divided and Concord August 17, 2017 at 9:59 AM

I’d like to see students in school year round and give two week breaks during quarters. Homework should be part of the curriculum. Stop burdening families in the evening with homework. How about giving them a half day during the week and then go to school half a day on Saturday to make up the time and parents can run errands, go grocery shopping, etc.That way students don’t go for long stretches without learning and downtime is spread throughout the year.

20 And the right has it August 17, 2017 at 10:12 AM

Meh, the education that schools provide is never sufficient anyway. I take time with my children to work with them everyday. My 5 year old can read, when most of the other 5 year olds do not even know any words at all. It does not matter if they have half days or any thing else at school. The instruction will be the same. Parents need to take the time to actually teach their kids. Do you want everything they learn to be from the school? I sure don’t.

21 Keep all three Barrels Up August 17, 2017 at 10:44 AM

Ooops MDUSD rolls. Also the teachers pray they don’t get beat by some of the students. Kids have too much control and their parents stick up for them.

22 T.Payne August 17, 2017 at 3:27 PM

The modern school system is a joke anyway. It was developed to make good little worker drones for the factory jobs of the 20th century. Now we don’t have those jobs anymore and our all grown up drones can’t think for themselves. What we really need is a whole new system of education, or maybe even go back to an older system of education, general education until 8th grade, and the promising ones go on to high school and college, and the rest get apprenticeships in a field that interests them rather than taking up space in schools where they really don’t want to be anyway.

23 HOT Mess August 18, 2017 at 12:27 PM

When families aren’t financially well off enough to pay for those extra weeks in daycare, you tell me, where the education benefit is for the kids by extending the break??

But who cares. It’s the Union that decides.