Contra Costa CHP Seeks Senior Volunteers

July 17, 2017 10:00 am · 9 comments

Seniors who would like to help the California Highway Patrol provide enhanced services to the community can volunteer to join the agency’s Senior Volunteer Program, CHP officials said.

Participating in the program gives seniors an opportunity to give back to the community and instills an understanding and appreciation of the justice system, human relations and ethics in the field of law enforcement,
CHP officials said.

To qualify for the program, people must be 55 years old or older, be able to work at least four hours a week, pass a background check, have a good driving record and complete the CHP Senior Volunteer training program.

To volunteer, interested people should contact their local CHP office, or email CHP Volunteer Cmdr. Capt. James Newberry at jnewberry@chp.ca.gov or (916) 843-3210.

1 Ricardoh July 17, 2017 at 10:37 AM

What exactly would you be doing?

2 No Thanks July 17, 2017 at 10:58 AM

@Ricardoh – I was thinking the same thing.

3 debdvo July 17, 2017 at 11:39 AM

Even the CHP page doesn’t describe any duties >>> https://www.chp.ca.gov/programs-services/programs/senior-volunteer-programs

4 Great Gonzo July 17, 2017 at 11:53 AM

Not enough data for a thinking adult.

5 Brig July 17, 2017 at 12:13 PM

Take downs and Shake downs Ricardoh! Lol There’s a phone number or enail, hit em up.

6 And the right has it July 17, 2017 at 12:16 PM

Well, they give a contact number, for crying out loud. If you are interested in finding out what the duties are, think your way to that number and call and ask! 🙂

7 Shoulda Coulda July 17, 2017 at 12:44 PM

Talked to a CHP officer. Senior volunteers perform
a variety of tasks. They help clerical. They move and
set up the speed radar trailers. They transport
vechicles to different locations. They transport
stuff to headquarters and division. They help out
with field sobriety checkpoints and more. Senior
volunteers are valuable and much appreciated
members of the CHP organization. I think any
senior that’s considering volunteering would find
it very rewarding.

8 nytemuvr July 17, 2017 at 1:06 PM

The bad part is they make you carry your one bullet in your pocket.

9 WhoDat? July 17, 2017 at 3:32 PM

Can I pack a cannon on my hip when I take that accident report over the phone? Do I get to deploy the spike strip near the coffee pot when there’s only one doughnut left in the box? If the job entails none of the heavy-hitting stuff, I’ll keep my senior kiester on the golf course.