Seller of Vehicle Robbed at Gunpoint at His Home

July 5, 2017 10:00 am · 31 comments

A person was robbed at gunpoint Friday at his home in Lafayette during a meeting with two other people who expressed interest in buying his car, police said.

The victim had listed his car for sale online and the suspects met the victim at his home where they robbed him.

The suspects are described as two black men, 28 to 35 years old who were each wearing white shirts and jeans.

They may have left the home in a white, 4-door Volkswagen Passat.

Anyone who has information about the robbery is asked to call Lafayette police at (925) 284-5010.

1 WC Res July 5, 2017 at 10:13 AM

So sorry, but dumb dumb dumb. Shoulda met at Laf PD.

2 Rob July 5, 2017 at 10:24 AM

While I don’t blame victims, yes, it wasn’t very smart to have folks come to the house… Always meet somewhere public – and as noted above a PD parking lot is the perfect place.

3 The Mamba July 5, 2017 at 10:24 AM

There’s cameras all over Lafayette, I’m sure they can pull something.

4 MoJo July 5, 2017 at 10:40 AM

This seems to happen quite a lot. Craig’s List robberies and scams. I’m no computer expert but if someone communicates with a seller via computer, can’t that IP address be identified therefore revealing the perps? Maybe privacy issues prevent it. Obviously the better option is to conduct business at a safe location and not your house.

5 Bradley Smith from Woodlands July 5, 2017 at 10:55 AM

Can’t believe people would let strangers come to their homes.

Besides you’re likely to be robbed by those self hating people anyway. Get a clue people and note to self haters – please stay OUT of Walnut Creek. Your Oakland and Antioch style doesn’t fit well in WC.

6 Bellarium July 5, 2017 at 10:56 AM

I like facebook market. You can see who is contacting you. If you feel they are sketchy you just don’t sell/buy from that person. I always meet in a public place and bring someone with me. But I have always purchased used cars from peoples at their homes and I have only sold one from my home.

7 Silva July 5, 2017 at 11:05 AM

They’ll get them. Lots of cameras in Lafayette.

8 JustSayin' July 5, 2017 at 11:24 AM

Hard lesson learned. There are people who don’t realize, like trust, many of the old ways are gone. So very unfortunate. The trade off, at least I HOPE, and most especially in this circumstance, is the technology that abhors that vacuum. May the spineless cowards be caught, and quickly.

9 Kentucky Derby July 5, 2017 at 11:26 AM

There are cameras everywhere these days.. I would never let someone come to my home either, but I don’t buy or sell on Craiglist.

IP addresses – criminals are computer savvy. They probably use computers at the library and throwaway phones.

10 FCA July 5, 2017 at 11:27 AM

CCW is sorely needed in CA. Wake up libtards!!!

11 anon July 5, 2017 at 11:28 AM

At my house, when I sell something, I have my pistol in my pocket just in case.

12 TIFOKCIS July 5, 2017 at 11:29 AM

“folks” out doing what “folks” do right Rob # 2

13 Boom July 5, 2017 at 11:32 AM

Exactly why I ALWAYS have a gun on me when meeting anywhere when selling on CL, especially at my house as some items you cannot meet elsewhere to sell.
And yes I’ve pulled it once on an attempted robbery AT A POLICE STATION PARKING LOT.
You trust no one!

14 Blink July 5, 2017 at 11:44 AM

Many transaction I’ve had on CL without any problems,
communicate by phone only…voices can tell you a lot

15 Craig's List July 5, 2017 at 12:11 PM

If used properly, it’s an awesome way to buy and sell. Rule #1 and critical – Talk to the person ON THE PHONE. Don’t just exchange emails and text. If you get a weird vibe, don’t proceed further. If they will not provide you with a phone number – pass.

Guns? Well, the best defense is a good offense, so if ya got it, know how to use it, then why would you not be prepared?

16 chuckie the troll July 5, 2017 at 1:13 PM

Any bets on the likelihood that the car this pair was driving was stolen?

17 Qob July 5, 2017 at 1:15 PM

Got to love Craigslist people

18 Kentucky Derby July 5, 2017 at 1:20 PM

The wisest thing to do is not buy and sell on Craiglist. You can rule certain people out, but you can’t rule ANYONE in.

Talking to people on the phone. It’s not uncommon for men to have women do their dirty work for them. Women are overly trusted by society, and men are overly distrusted. Some people are so desperate to sell, they’ll sell to anyone. You can’t judge a book by it’s cover.

So you speak with a really nice lady (who sounds very honest) and a male criminal show up?

19 House July 5, 2017 at 2:06 PM

They “may have left” in a Passat…
Was the car stolen, and if so, does he not know his own make/model of his car?..
Or is claycord just not making sense again, per the usual

20 Anon July 5, 2017 at 2:35 PM

Isn’t it usually the potential buyer who gets robbed? That’s the one with all the cash.

21 ME July 5, 2017 at 2:57 PM

@11 I don’t have a gun but if I’m buying or selling from CL at any location, I usually bring my dog and leave the car door open so she can hop out at any second. I like to give off the idea that she’s aggressive–and she may be, or she may not be, but that’s for me to know and others to find out if they dare.

22 hmmmm July 5, 2017 at 3:04 PM

Once these 2 Thugs saw “Lafayette” in the CraigsList ad & the address was a residential home, they knew it was an Easy Mark.

Jump back on Hwy 24 & head to either Bay Point/Pittsburg/Antioch area or opposite direction to Richmond/Oakland/San Francisco or south to San Jose.

Advice: Give the address of your city’s Police Dept without telling them it’s the police dept.

23 Kentucky Derby July 5, 2017 at 4:05 PM

What I don’t understand is why do people go through all this trouble (guns, dogs) just to save $30.00 on a microwave? If the deal is “too good to be true,” it’s probably stolen merchandise, and you’re in receipt of stolen property. A misdemeanor or felony, depending on the circumstances and state laws.

So you’re risking your life and possibly setting yourself up to commit a crime yourself (in receipt of stolen property). You might want to stop and think about what you’re doing.

Wow.

24 Boom July 5, 2017 at 4:31 PM

You know what’s actually funny is melting in a police station parking lot to buy/sell stolen items or weed. Yup right under their noses hiding in plain sight.
People don’t but/sell things to save money, in many cases it’s discontinued or collectible items not found in stores and some people don’t like using ripoff EBay.

25 Lambie July 5, 2017 at 5:18 PM

@chuckie the troll, that’s what I did as thinking, probably a stolen car.

26 Judas July 5, 2017 at 5:18 PM

“They may have left the home in a white, 4-door Volkswagen Passat.”
Best line of the whole idiotic story.

27 Duchess of Martinez July 5, 2017 at 7:32 PM

Always meet in a public place preferably not alone and with cameras first. Especially if you live in a city known for $wealth
It’s terrible that happened

“May” have left in the Passat – wth?

28 Chicken Little July 5, 2017 at 8:36 PM

@24,
People sell stuff on craigslist, too. I’m pretty sure I’m not going to end up in possession of stolen property if I’m selling off my junk.

I’m ALWAYS armed when engaged in a craigslist transaction, which is one reason why I prefer to conduct business at my house.

29 Nickynick July 6, 2017 at 9:21 AM

I have bought sold on craigslist for more than 10 years, hundreds of tranactions, have even meet at my house for larger items a mentioned above

Not a single problem ever. I feel like the people who get robbed ot scammed on cl are the types who would have been anyway

30 Nickynick July 6, 2017 at 9:22 AM

Plus it does not mention CL anyway

31 anon July 6, 2017 at 10:36 PM

Buying a car on CL is such a joke in its own right. You never know the true history of the car and have no recourse if it craps out on you the next day.

I buy/sell a lot of cars because i get bored of them quickly, and have never had a problem buying from a local dealer. Just bought one few weeks ago from the new one that popped up on Concord ave next to mazda service.

They gave me a warranty, handled all the paperwork, found me a fantastic interest rate, and the car came thoroughly inspected with a clean carfax. I paid 0 dollars for this service over a CL purchase. An absolute no brainer.