UPDATE: Concord Man Killed In Shooting That Led To Pit Bull Attack Identified

June 19, 2017 13:27 pm · 17 comments

A man fatally shot in downtown Concord early Saturday morning has been identified by the Contra Costa County coroner’s office as 42-year-old Robert Frazier.

Frazier, a Concord resident, was killed in a shooting reported at about 1:50 a.m. in front of Nica Lounge at 1907 Salvio St., according to police.

Later Saturday, a SWAT team went to the 1900 block of Teresa Lane in Oakley to try to arrest a 27-year-old suspect in connection with the homicide, but he wasn’t there, police said.

While at the scene in Oakley, a pit bull broke free from its collar and charged at officers and a police K-9, then bit K-9 Hancock on the leg and neck, prompting an officer to shoot the pit bull.

Investigators later learned the murder suspect had been involved in a vehicle crash elsewhere and was taken to a hospital. The suspect, whose name is not yet being released, was taken into custody at the hospital, police said.

K-9 Hancock was taken to a veterinary hospital and is now recuperating at home, according to police.

Family members have created a GoFundMe account to raise money for Frazier’s funeral costs. The account at https://www.gofundme.com/robert-fraziers-farewell had raised $3,830 as of this afternoon.

1 WC resident June 19, 2017 at 2:07 PM

Rest in Peace Rob.

2 Chester June 19, 2017 at 2:24 PM

Suspect sounds like a real winner! Pathetic! Happy to hear that Hancock is going to be fine. I’m sorry for the victim’s family.

3 RIP June 19, 2017 at 3:50 PM

What a shame to lose this young man to a senseless act. Rest in peace, Rob.

4 fred June 19, 2017 at 4:13 PM

OK – WHY WAS HE SHOT ??????

5 Sandy G June 19, 2017 at 8:16 PM

I saw someone on here say that Rob was an occasional bouncer at the club

6 Solano county living. June 19, 2017 at 9:16 PM

Rip bro…

B..

7 Silva June 19, 2017 at 9:29 PM

Heartbreaking.

8 And the right has it June 20, 2017 at 9:26 AM

Ah, pit owning pillars of society.

9 Mr. Pink June 20, 2017 at 9:45 AM

Second Fred’s comment.

10 Duck June 20, 2017 at 11:52 PM

Sure there are some very sweet Pit Bulls out there.
But keep in mind Pit Bulls were bred to bite and hold bulls, bears and other large wild animals around the face head and neck, it’s in their genetic makeup.
Similar to how pointing breeds are born with that natural ability to track and point and hold on small mammals and birds and how retrievers are natural born hunters and born with the natural desire to bring things back to hand.
Most of these Pit Bulls were bred for their aggression to fight, bite and hold, it is in all of their genetic makeup, even Pit’s brought up in the most loving environment.
I’m sorry but I’m on all Pit Bulls must die end of the spectrum.
Why take the chance with a dog bred to fight, bite and hold in the face and neck area?
Sorry, but owning a Pit Bull doesn’t make sense when there are so many other breeds that do not have the fight, bite and hold prey drive flowing through their veins.

11 Skeptic June 21, 2017 at 8:00 AM

Duck, some people will never get it, until their sweet pit bull rips their baby’s face off. Even then some won’t get it.

12 And the right has it June 21, 2017 at 8:23 AM

Duck- that was beautifully put. Pit owners fall into two categories- the delusional, who refuse to believe the truth of what you said (see post above yours) or the thugs that want to look “bad.”

But I like how I am called a troll when someone doesn’t like what I said. Real mature there.

13 B June 21, 2017 at 8:33 AM

And it is bs that dog aggression is always the owner’s fault. I’ve known some very good dog owners who end up with aggressive dogs through no fault of their own.

14 Concernicus June 21, 2017 at 1:58 PM

Neither of the two dogs I was attacked by in elementary school and high school, respectively, were pitts or pitt mixes. Both were unsupervised mutts whose owners probably thought they were total angels, but didn’t bother to escape-proof their yard. Dog people are selectively blind.

15 Silva June 21, 2017 at 2:20 PM

The dog that wanted to tear off my face as I was walking home from school one day was a German Shepherd who came at me from what I presumed was the front yard where he lived. He was unrestrained and unsupervised.

16 jaime June 21, 2017 at 4:24 PM

i cannot stand to hear animals being killed, it breaks my heart. yes the pit bull was doing his job and yes it’s sad. but think of this it was either the pit bull doing his job or the police k9 doing his job….. nature is cruel at times. I have a couple friends who have pit bulls and they are the BIGGEST sweethearts just like any other dog.

17 And the right has it June 22, 2017 at 8:19 AM

Biggest sweetheart until they decide to rip your face off.