Concord Police Shoot And Kill Pit Bull That Attacked K-9 Dog

June 19, 2017 8:50 am · 36 comments

A Concord police officer shot and killed a pit bull that attacked a police K-9 in Oakley, where investigators were seeking a murder suspect on Saturday.

Concord police wrote in a Facebook post Sunday that the officer shot the pit bull after it broke free from a collar, charged at officers and bit K-9 Hancock on the leg and then clamped onto the dog’s neck.

A SWAT team was in the 1900 block of Teresa Lane in Oakley to try to arrest a 27-year-old suspect in connection with a fatal shooting that was reported around 1:50 a.m. Saturday in front of Nica Lounge at 1907 Salvio St. in downtown Concord. The victim’s name is not yet being released.

The suspect, whose name is also not yet being released, was not arrested at the scene of the shooting of the pit bull but was taken into custody later Saturday after police learned he had been involved in a vehicle crash and was taken to a hospital.

The police K-9 Hancock was taken to a veterinary hospital after the attack from a pit bull and is now recuperating at home, police said.

{ 36 comments… read them below or add one }

1 Bob June 19, 2017 at 8:52 AM

Do not mess with a cops K-9, girlfriend or M/C

2 Dalinian June 19, 2017 at 9:10 AM

These people who “weaponize” pit-bulls should be shot….I’m so glad the K-9 officer is recuperating…

3 Antler June 19, 2017 at 9:24 AM

Stay tough, Hancock!

4 Be Gentle June 19, 2017 at 9:30 AM

The dog reflected the mentality of its own and I glad they killed the nasty pit bull! Prayers for Hancock!

5 Clayton Squirrel June 19, 2017 at 9:34 AM

Feel better, Hancock!

6 Coco Rez June 19, 2017 at 9:40 AM

Recover soon Hancock. But the pit was in his home and was protecting its family. Did anyone see what the police did to this guys parents house? They destroyed it even though the suspect didn’t live there. Bad situation all around because of some POS. Hope Hancock makes a full recovery and RIP pitty.

7 Cowellian June 19, 2017 at 9:56 AM

Hancock did not deserve to be attacked, and shooting the pit bull was the only way to stop it. If the thug’s parents had behaved better, their dog would probably still be alive.

8 Bancroft Mom June 19, 2017 at 10:06 AM

@Be Gentle. I agree! And yes get well soon Hancock! Poor baby!

9 Patti June 19, 2017 at 10:23 AM

That is just really, get better officer Hancock.

10 Kentucky Derby June 19, 2017 at 10:29 AM

Hang in there Hancock! Sadly, the shooting of the pit bull was the only way to keep Hancock safe.

11 Da buck stops here June 19, 2017 at 10:36 AM

Why is the name not being released? This person is a MURDERER, why the need to protect the identity? If someone knows the name, have the balls to post

12 SF oh June 19, 2017 at 11:17 AM

Wishing Hancock and speedy recovery! A pit bull attack is no joke! My neighbor’s dog was attacked by a pit bull in her own driveway while on a leash. My friend actually got between the dogs and fought it off. The vet told her that was a crazy thing to do and she was lucky she wasn’t injured. It took months for her dog (a large breed) to recover. She said it happened so fast and she saw her dog being attacked and her reaction was to do everything she could to save her. Perhaps the bond between the cop and his K-9 companion caused his reaction too. Some pit bulls are great dogs – some aren’t.

13 Ricardoh June 19, 2017 at 11:20 AM

This case is getting a life of its own. Will be nice when all of the facts come out.

14 Coach Stan June 19, 2017 at 11:30 AM

Let’s put the blame where it belongs: on the Concord Police, who shot a dog unnecessarily. The victim is the dead dog, not Hancock. The police had no right to raid the house in the first place. The suspect was not even there and they had no indication he was there, thus they cannot enter it legally.

15 Rotita June 19, 2017 at 11:40 AM

It is the officer’s word against a dead dog. Good for the officer. Pit bulls have no business being around the community. There are only two types of pit bulls, those who have attacked and those who will attack. Feel better Hancock.

16 Tom June 19, 2017 at 11:44 AM

Coach Stan, you are an absolute moron.

17 Frank June 19, 2017 at 11:55 AM

People who own Pit Bulls always have problems.
Coach Stan if someone killed your loved one, you would want Police to do all they could to find them and get justice. I hope you don’t coach children, you are a dodo.

18 ME June 19, 2017 at 12:03 PM

Normally I’d side with the police. However I did see the pictures of what the police did to this house, the guy they wanted wasn’t even home. I would think the pit bull would have been absolutely terrified and reacted out of fear. Honestly, if my dog, your dog, or any dog didn’t react similarly I’d be shocked. But like someone said, we really don’t know all the facts–we weren’t there.

The victims are both dogs.

19 Shoulda Coulda June 19, 2017 at 12:05 PM

@ SF oh

Every pit bull is a great dog until it isn’t.
No one deserves this kind of OJI.
Get well soon Hancock.

20 anon June 19, 2017 at 12:26 PM

So sorry for poor Hancock. That looks like a serious injury. Wishing him a speedy and complete recovery. Under the circumstances, there seems to have been no other alternative. Thanks for clarifying the whole story with this additional information.

21 Silva June 19, 2017 at 12:38 PM

I once had to get a neighbor’s Pit of my dog with my garden hose which fortunately had a high pressure sprayer on it at that moment. I kept it aimed between it’s eyes till it let go, and it seemed to take forever. If the dog got off it’s collar (or whatever exactly happened there) and attacked K-9 Hancock that is on the homeowner.

22 SF oh June 19, 2017 at 1:28 PM

@ Shoulda Coulda – Sorry, you lost me ……. OJI?? Also, I don’t recall stating that the dogs, cop, or anyone else “deserved” any of this.

23 And the right has it June 20, 2017 at 9:41 AM

Rotita and Frank are right- pits are dangerous and have been bred that way. There is only so much you can do to overcome that. They will ALWAYS be more dangerous than other dogs due to their genetics, strength and predisposition to be unpredictable. I am always suspect of people who own pits. They are either completely deluded (oh, he would NEVER hurts anyone! Grow up, a Yorkie can hurt someone. But your pit can KILL) or trying to make up for some deficiency they perceive in themselves (I need a big, bad dog man! I’m so tough!). The dog HAD to be shot. And we are only going on what the residents say? How do we know they didn’t mess their own house up? I mean, their son KILLED someone and their dog attacked the cops. They might have lived in abject filth or their son might have destroyed the place. In the end, they were not cooperating with the police. If they were not allowed to enter the premises, we would have certainly heard about that. That we have not leads me to conclude that all was fine and legal, that the residents probably caused whatever happened to the house because they are morons or it was already like that. These were bad people- I would not trust them to tell even one iota of truth. Do people not have any reasoning skills anymore?

24 anon June 20, 2017 at 10:55 AM

There are gun nuts and anti-government militia types who think law enforcement is part of a deep state conspiracy to get them. Those are people with “reasoning” challenges. I say the next time they call 911 for help, they should be told that no help will come.

25 You can indict a ham sandwich June 20, 2017 at 11:15 AM

While I realize there is no presumption of innocents until proven guilty, and most of you are claiming he killed some one why grant him a trial? I’d hate to have anyone of guys on a jury if I were brought up on charges.

26 And the right has it June 20, 2017 at 12:21 PM

Anon- and there are people who do everything they can to hinder the police because they are criminals and/or think that cops are always out to get them (which is truce, because you are a criminal, the cops ARE out to get you!). I believe these people were less likely gun nuts and more likely the former.

27 anon June 20, 2017 at 1:37 PM

This morning, I read an interesting article about research on hamsters given a steady diet of corn developing Pellegra, or Niacin deficiency (a B Vitamin). Those hamsters who developed Pellegra were uncharacteristicly aggressive. Mother hamsters who had more than six babies would eat the extras, storing them at birth with their food supply. Pellegra was common after the Spanish discovered the Americas and the corn crops cultivated by Native Americans. The Natives had a process, however, that made the niacin able to be absorbed by digestion, a process which was not exported by the Spaniards when they exported the corn. Pellegra swept through Europe. Natives had treated the corn with lime to make it better nutritionally. I mention this as a possible nutritional explanation for some of the extraordinary violence we are seeing of late. Because of the economic strife that existed during the Obama years, I believe a great number of the poorer members of societies around the world are compromised nutritionally. Coupled with a certain type of mold that grows on rye, especially in very wet years, which causes a temporary insanity, and the over crowding in the area which has been shown to cause agressive behavior, and we have the strange brew we are seeing on what seems to be a daily basis. Dog food even contains corn these days.

28 Animal Love June 20, 2017 at 1:47 PM

I suggest you go visit the Martinez Animal Shelter and talk to one of the many wonderful volunteers there about the different breeds. You should educate yourself before talking about people you don’t even know, and judging them blindly. The pit bull is the most tortured and abused breed, when in fact 100 years ago they were a “nanny dog” (like in the little rascals). By the way there are MANY breeds capable of killing, why are you only singling out one?

29 And the right has it June 21, 2017 at 8:28 AM

Animal- if you actually do a little research, you will find that the nanny dog is a COMPLETE MYTH. It was NEVER true. Please stop spreading this propaganda. The pit bull is the MOST DANGEROUS DOG. Other dogs may bite more, but a yorkie is not going to kill you. Pits were bred to kill. Period.

30 Concernicus June 21, 2017 at 1:54 PM

I’ve been attacked by two dogs in my lifetime. Neither dogs were pitts or pitt mixes, both were unsupervised mutts without leashes who escaped their backyard. Owners to blame, not dogs.

31 Concernicus June 21, 2017 at 1:55 PM

Also: Every dog owner thinks their dog is a little angel ’till it goes out and mauls a kid or another pet, or a person. Dog people are selectively blind like that.

32 Animal Love June 21, 2017 at 4:13 PM

Dear and the right,

What do you propose as a solution? To eradicate the breed??

33 Fig Newton June 21, 2017 at 7:32 PM

You always feel safe when CPD Are on the scene ! What a terrible story , A Concord PD canine getting hurt! I’m sure the DA will handle this well !

34 Quick2Judge June 22, 2017 at 4:51 AM

How can any one form a judgement based on information they do not know yet as fact? Has there been any photos released of the alleged pit bull that attacked the police dog and did someone who actually knows all 330 plus breeds verify that it in fact was a pit bull? I’m not defending the animal nor its owners and I hope Hancock makes a full recovery, im just tired of people taking what they hear from the local news or social media as fact and not actually waiting for the truth to be released. Just wish people would let things play out and not jump to assumptions. Stop blaming the breed and blame the owner.

35 And the right has it June 22, 2017 at 8:20 AM

Animal- YES.

Quick- Maybe it is a pit, and maybe it is a pit mix. Same thing.

36 Animal Love June 22, 2017 at 1:39 PM

And the right,

Like Hitler tried to do with the Jewish people, how did that turn out??
I think its funny your are accusing me of spouting propaganda, when the only propaganda I see on this feed is from you.

Btw “Pit Bull” is not even a breed. It is crossbreeding of pure breeds like bulldogs, american staffordshire terriers, boxers, great danes, and bull mastiffs etc. Shall we do away with those breeds as well since that is where they originate?

While we are at it shall we also eradicate Doberman’s, german shepherds and huskies since they had the highest fatality rates before “pit bulls” did?

Like I said EDUCATE yourself before posting your dangerous propaganda