The Claycord Online Museum – Anna Miller’s Pies in the Sunvalley Mall

June 13, 2017 14:00 pm · 37 comments

Anna Miller’s Pies in the Sunvalley Mall….who remembers it, and what was/is your favorite kind of pie?

Thanks to the Jim in Moraga who sent this old advertisement.

Click on the tag below titled “Claycord Online Museum” to view other items!

Know it all June 13, 2017 at 2:10 PM

That was my first job when I was a freshman in high school in 1987. Don’t forget there were two locations at the mall. One upstairs and one downstairs. Good times.

Barry H. June 13, 2017 at 2:19 PM

I also worked at both locations my freshman year,1982

Amigo June 13, 2017 at 2:24 PM

Don’t see in on that menu but they made a killer Dutch Apple pie.

Kirkwood June 13, 2017 at 2:28 PM

Old times are always the good times, that’s how the brain is wired.

Chester June 13, 2017 at 2:34 PM

Loved Anna Miller pies!! My mom, aunt and Grandma would take me there once in a while. My favorite was the black bottom cream pie … although I don’t see it on the menu.

NoThanks June 13, 2017 at 2:58 PM

Worked at the downstairs shop in the 70s.

Mabel June 13, 2017 at 3:00 PM

They made the best pies ever.

Bob June 13, 2017 at 3:53 PM

Cherry pie-nothing tastes as good as. Good cherry

Anon24 June 13, 2017 at 4:14 PM

The upstairs location was a later addition. We always got the banana cream pie. They would give you the pie tin they were baked in. My mom still has a bunch of them she uses.

Susan June 13, 2017 at 4:26 PM

I worked there when it first opened, it was crazy busy so I went in and asked if they were hiring. I started the next day. I also worked in the second one, near Sears, just to train the new employees, but went back downstairs. It was a fun place to work.

Alice June 13, 2017 at 4:42 PM

There are no good pies to be found now because they are all made from artificial ingredients. Used to love marie Callenders. but then when her kids took over they went rapidly downhill.
hickory pit still has pies, but they are always stale, too sweet and made from cheap, low quality ingredients. Our Great Grandmas would not be happy with the pies of today.

Shoulda Coulda June 13, 2017 at 4:48 PM

Anna Miller’s is still going strong in Hawaii.
Although that’s quite a drive to get a pie!

Atticus Thraxx June 13, 2017 at 4:49 PM

I like pie.

Shoulda Coulda June 13, 2017 at 4:56 PM

@ Alice

Have you tried the pies at Nation’s
Hamburgers. VERY tasty with fresh
ingredients. They have some good
seasonal fruit pies too! 😋
If anyone has any favorite buy a pie
place pleeeeeze let me know.

Lambie June 13, 2017 at 5:23 PM

I never had an Anna Miller pie.
Pies I like:
Apple pie with cheddar cheese crust
Pecan pie
Sour cream lemon pie
Pumpkin pie

Cowellian June 13, 2017 at 5:45 PM

I discovered Anna Miller’s when I was stationed at Pearl Harbor. They were upstairs and there was a coffee shop downstairs that had a train running around, just below the ceiling.

So, I was delighted to find Anna Miller’s in Concord. My favorite lunch was the chicken pot pie/spinach salad combo with a piece of strawberry pie for dessert.

Roz June 13, 2017 at 5:53 PM

@#5 Chester,..YES!!, black bottom cream pie or was it called boston cream pie? I don’t see it list either, but it was yummo!

Silva June 13, 2017 at 6:22 PM

Anna Miller’s were good, the House of Pies was even better. And so many pies! They were in Park & Shop when we came to town in 1971.

XlibXdem June 13, 2017 at 6:24 PM

does anyone know if that Anna Miller was the same as the old time dance star -movie star? Did she end up opening pie shops?

Duchess of Martinez June 13, 2017 at 6:37 PM

Making me hungry for pie

Shoulda Coulda June 13, 2017 at 6:45 PM

@ Xlib Xdem

Not the same person.
That was Ann Miller.

@ Cowellian

There is still an Anna Miller’s near
Pearl Harbor. Don’t know if it’s the
same one. You can check their
website.

Average Joe June 13, 2017 at 7:50 PM

Anna Miller’s was great! I worked at Hickory Farms in 82′ and 83′. I would go there all the time for lunch, pie and hit on the hot waitresses. Good times..

Concord Grape June 13, 2017 at 8:07 PM

#20 your thinking about Ann Miller

Judas June 13, 2017 at 8:53 PM

Crap! That was my first real job around ’88/’89. I was a bus boy. Don’t get me started on the roaches. But, the club sandwich was real good and so were the pies. The walk-in freezer is where all the cooks smoked out.
Cheers!

jen June 14, 2017 at 8:44 AM

Oh My! Loved this place as a kid! I am not a pie person, however the Chocolate Meringue Pie was the BEST! Plus bonus, there was two locations at the mall!!!!!
Bring it back!

Sacto Rob June 14, 2017 at 9:34 AM

I worked at the upstairs store starting in 1975 at $1.75 per hour as a combination busboy/dishwasher. Worked my way up to cook and stayed on for 2-3 years. It was a great job. On opening shift I’d take a big rolling cart through the Mall’s back corridors to a freight elevator to pick up the pies from the downstairs store where they’d been prepped and baked. I was a CVHS student, but most of the kids working there were from College Park. At the time, CVHS was a very cliquish school; the field hards stayed away from the rah-rahs, the jocks were off in their own corner, there were the drama kids and the band geeks who rarely mixed. But all the kids from College Park knew each other and hung out together. I was jealous of that. This being 1975, the employment application actually said that if you were applying for a waitress job to list your measurements: neck, bust, waist and hips. Every waitress they hired was a looker. It was a good job.

Justifiable Languor June 14, 2017 at 10:10 AM

Wasn’t there also a pie place next to Longs Drugs in WC?

nytemuvr June 14, 2017 at 10:37 AM

@Justifiable Languor #28
Carnations? I remember them having good pies.

Justifiable Languor June 14, 2017 at 10:54 AM

nytemuver: Or maybe Berkeley Farms. It was a small diner that sold pies. Genevas Deli was next door between Longs and this place.

WC resident June 14, 2017 at 10:55 AM

@Justifiable #28 – Marie Callender’s was next to Longs Drugs in WC.

Justifiable anger June 14, 2017 at 2:52 PM

Thanks WC resident. I knew it had pies.

JustSayin2 June 14, 2017 at 4:45 PM

When i was a teenager, i worked there . The food and pies were really good. They were located where Round One is now. The Ice Rink was also there.

Karp June 14, 2017 at 9:46 PM

N oone has the time to bake a quality from scratch pie anymore, they are too busy with selfies and photographing others doing bad things and gossiping about their neighbors..

Silva June 15, 2017 at 9:05 AM

I had to stop baking pies when I stopped eating sugar and grains. Baking good pies was very easy though when I stopped about 5 or 6 years ago. Trader Joe’s had a pair of frozen pie crusts that came folded in a box, and the quality was indiscernible from good homemade, and pie filling is, well.. easy as pie! Best fruit pie recipe is on the side of a Minute Tapioca box, IMHO.

Dr. Jellyfinger June 15, 2017 at 9:37 PM

@ 8 ~ I really don’t know why you’d sign my name to that question…
In any case… I think jokes about oral sex are in bad taste.

Dr. Jellyfinger June 15, 2017 at 9:40 PM

House of Pies in Park & Shop was better anyway.

Dr. Jellyfinger June 16, 2017 at 9:57 PM

Silva~ You should try some Pecan Pie! You are what you eat!
(You’re sweet…but you’re nuts!).