The Water Cooler – Dogs Using Your Yard as a Toilet

May 19, 2017 12:00 pm · 42 comments

The “Water Cooler” will be up Monday-Friday in the noon hour.

Have you ever had a problem with anybody letting their dog(s) use your yard as a toilet? If so, did you ever catch them?

What are some tips to keep people from letting their dog(s) do their business on your property?

Talk about it….

{ 42 comments… read them below or add one }

1 Anon May 19, 2017 at 12:19 PM

The solution – a 6 foot fence.
I don’t like it, even if they are picking up after Fido. It now attracts other dogs. Maybe get a motion detection sprinkler?
And yeah, if you don’t have the space for a dog – you shouldn’t have a dog. Get some sense.

2 Justifiable anger May 19, 2017 at 12:20 PM

The dogs don’t bother me.

It’s the cats that … Every time I cultivated, pulled weeds or planted….on and on. Actually it’s not cats that make me mad, its the owners that think it’s great to let Lord Tibberance out in the morning, blythely ignoring the truth of the matter. The Lord wants out for duty detail…and murder for fun.

Other than that, I like your cats. They like me too.

3 Bishop Estates May 19, 2017 at 12:36 PM

A dogs gotta go at some point, as long as owners are picking up after them then what’s the problem?

4 Silva May 19, 2017 at 12:38 PM

We stepped in dog poo, smushed and flung it around with the lawnmower, and tried to pick it up daily for decades. Dogs used to run free around here. It rarely happens anymore, people are more responsible. It’s rare to see an escapee, and I mostly see dog walkers waiting patiently while their dog finishes, then picking up the product. The last time I ran after someone with a plastic bag was a few years ago now.

5 Captain Bebops May 19, 2017 at 12:39 PM

Toss cayenne pepper on your lawn or shrubs. The dogs will avoid the area.

6 Wanda May 19, 2017 at 1:04 PM

Cayenne pepper? Is it really working? I will try…

7 TIFOKCIS May 19, 2017 at 1:11 PM

I used to find dog **** on my lawn until one day I took a day off work just to catch the awhole. He got smart and asked if I was going to beat him up.

No more dog **** on my lawn.

8 Roz May 19, 2017 at 1:23 PM

#2 Justifiable anger, I hear You! I like cats too but,….
About 12 years ago, we had a older lady on our court with over 35 outdoor cats,..mainly feral which kept breeding and would walk about in packs of 6-8 cats. The smell in our yards were so bad,..couldn’t open windows for fresh air.
Another neighbor and us were able to trap 28 of the really wild truly mean cats, and brought them to animal shelter. There hasn’t been anybody with dogs pooping in our yards.

9 It makes sense to me May 19, 2017 at 1:24 PM

I get 30 dogs by my house in a day and the biggest problem is the peeing on the lawn. And if one dog does it they all want to add to it. I sure love the brown spots on my nice green lawn.

10 THE ANIMAL May 19, 2017 at 1:34 PM

I always clean up after my two Rottweilers. Someone might trip over they’re ”LOGS”, it’s called respect for others…………………….

11 Dog Owner May 19, 2017 at 1:48 PM

Some people take a lot of pride in their yard and spend a lot of time, effort and money maintaining it. Allowing your dog to urinate/defecate on someone else’s property is inconsiderate/disrespectful.
Dogs being walked through residential neighborhoods should be kept on the sidewalk.

12 Living in Concord May 19, 2017 at 1:51 PM

The “scarecrow” motion detector from Orchard works wondrously!!!! Kept our neighbors 5 Retrievers off our yard. Its not their fault, its their owners. And now I just take my cat crap and line the edge of the lawn…. doggie snickerdoodles for them, and the owners have learned to keep the heck away. Truly a great idea!!! And when they dry out, they just vacuum up in the lawnmower. Until then, dogs love them, and owners hate them.
Lets be hones here. People take dogs out to crap. they don’t want pee or poo on their lawn, as yours is so soft and green and feels great on their dogs feet.

13 Ron Obvious May 19, 2017 at 1:53 PM

#5 I used to have a dachshund that would take things off the coffee table. I tried lining the edge with dried red chiles … she ate them. They were hotter than cayenne, btw.

14 Living in Concord May 19, 2017 at 1:56 PM

To #2 above. Ha ha. My cat went into the neighbor’s yard, she is very friendly and likes people. There was a kids party going on, and she jumped a rat (big nasty thing) in their garden, and drug it out in front of the people. It was soo funny. She thought she did them a favor, but they didn’t think so. they had rats living under their deck too.
If I look at the number of birds versus rats my cats have gotten over the years…. its like 1 to 100. rats being 100. Birds are too quick. And not all of the cats (6 total over 20 years) were hunters. 2 were great. 2 were so so, and 2 didn’t want to. All cats are different.

15 anontwo May 19, 2017 at 2:11 PM

To Living in Concord, You are correct “yard guard” sprayers work well for four legged guests. Not all dogs like grass. My son had a basset that grew up in PHX. That dog would not walk on grass. He would walk up and down every driveway and on the sidewalk but never never on the grass. It was hilarious to watch that dog on walks.

16 The Mamba May 19, 2017 at 2:15 PM

I don’t have an issue with it, but my neighbors are very considerate and clean up after their dogs.

17 chuckie the troll May 19, 2017 at 2:23 PM

I have a large corner lot with a lawn, and I’m a dog owner. We have a ‘doggie bag’ dispenser on our leash and always pick up after her. So my neighbors give a friendly wave whenever I walk by.

About 1/2 of the dogs being walked in the neighborhood have owners who take the responsibility to clean up after them. But pretty much every week I have to clean up after at least one dog. And a few people either let their dogs out to go ‘somewhere else’, or else the dog escapes every day with the same result.

When I catch someone I offer a bag and suggest they carry one when walking. No one has refused yet…if they do I will follow them home and make a ‘special delivery’.

18 your neighbor May 19, 2017 at 2:28 PM

My dogs have access to my yard all day long but will not go #2 unless we are on a walk. It has been that way since they were puppies. Not sure why. I always clean up after them.

19 Mick Marin May 19, 2017 at 2:42 PM

Anon, what a bitter person you are. I guess, if you could, you would shoot those animals. Whether have the space or not, dogs need to go out for exercise. Majority of the owners are very respectful to other people’s properties. If there were a few accidents, perhaps you can put up a sign, instead of thinking sinister solutions.

20 Anon May 19, 2017 at 2:56 PM

On our property I know I’ve not only scooped our dog’s and our neighbors dogs’s poop, but also scat from skunk & opossum.

It’s illegal to let your dog out of the house off leash unsupervised in the neighborhood to do their business like my neighbors do. One neighbor’s dogs were so aggressive many of us called animal control, and animal control visited them multiple times. Properly caring for our animals is neighborly, and better from a public health and safety perspective.

BTW, I don’t mind the neighborhood cats at all as they might keep some rodent critters at bay.

21 Mr. Concord May 19, 2017 at 3:13 PM

Not sure why the post is only calling out dogs, cats are the bigger issue for me. People seem to be fine with letting their cats roam and using my yard as their bathroom. It wouldn’t even be that bad if it was really only my yard. I covered an area in my backyard so I can store my bikes and other lawn equipment without getting rained on and the cat uses the top of it as its bathroom and cats go back to the same spot again and again. Last year the roof collapsed there was so much cat feces that I had to replace it and now I have to clean it every couple months.
Although not all dog owners pick up after their dogs almost all of them know they should, cat owners don’t even think its wrong.

22 Rubyvee May 19, 2017 at 3:28 PM

Our neighborhood doesn’t have sidewalks. It is hard and cruel to drag a dog off a lawn when it squats to pee.

I used to walk my dogs through my neighborhood. I carry a largeish canvas poop/trash bag. I would pick up poop, of course, but also picked up litter, beverage containers, broken glass, cigarette cartons, etc.,. Several times I called city hall when large items were discarded on the side of the road. City hall always promptly responded and hauled the items away. I would say hi to neighbors, try to get to know them.

Twice I was admonished for allowing my dog to pee on someone’s lawn or shrub. Since then I pick up my dog’s poop only, I leave the rest of the trash in the neighborhood alone. And I don’t say hi to neighbors.

23 Cowellian May 19, 2017 at 3:32 PM

When we walk our dogs, we always clean up after them. I’d have no complaints if my neighbors did the same, but they don’t. They have a bunch of barking rodents that poop all over the place, and they never clean up after then. The same neighbor is also a certified crazy cat lady with 14 cats that seem to think our gardens are their personal cat boxes.

24 Other May 19, 2017 at 3:40 PM

#19, A sprinkler as “sinister”. LOL.
My Yard, Cut me a check for the property taxes and I’ll let your dog use my yard.
Boils down to NO RESPECT for others.
ME ME ME.

25 anonamiss May 19, 2017 at 3:50 PM

A few years back one of my neighbors, who is a little nutty used to walk her dog through the neighborhood. One morning while I was watering my plants she walked by started chatting with me while her dog took a dump. She continued walking. I was pissed and asked her to clean it up. I know that she let her dog poop in my yard a few times after that. She is an inconsiderate nutjob without any respect for her neighbors or neighborhood. Nothing worse than walking onto your lawn and onto an animals refuse. Yuck!!!

26 foothillsguy May 19, 2017 at 3:53 PM

I hate when they put the poop bag in my garbage can and then it sits and bakes for a week until the next pickup. Take it home !

27 Atticus Thraxx May 19, 2017 at 4:40 PM

At least pictures weren’t included with this story. it’s annoying but it’s alot better than it used to be. Back in the day nobody cleaned up, I mean nobody.

28 WhoDat? May 19, 2017 at 5:04 PM

We’re on an access route to the canal trail where folks walk their dogs. Most are thoughtful owners who carry a plastic bag to collect their pets waste on the trail, but some think it’s just fine to let their mutt use our yard as a toilet. They may pick up the waste, but I don’t want their scent telling other pets our yard is a good place to squat and drop. The ones who just leave the waste really piss me off. If I see an owner allowing their pet to wander onto our property, I tell them it’s not a damn dog park and to move on. I also take a picture with my phone in case I run across a scum bag who might get upset and seek revenge. Don’t violate my rights and we’ll get along just fine!

29 WhoDat? May 19, 2017 at 5:11 PM

And about that cat problem: buy a live trap, bait it with a high grade cat food, place it on your property and take any catch to Animal Control on Imhoff. The owner can bail out the offender for $50 or so (first offense) plus they’ll have to get a license and any required vaccinations. Second offense is more. My yard is not your litter box, especially my raise beds where I use my hands to weed, dig holes for seeds, etc. I don’t want stinky cat waste in my soil. I warned my neighbors before I deployed the trap and a few doubted my sincerity. They now know I meant the warning and that I followed the county laws about cats not being under their owner’s control. See County Code 416-4.402 – Animals at large.

30 Chicken Little May 19, 2017 at 5:34 PM

@foothillsguy,
If you think that’s bad, I’ve had them leave the poop bag at the bottom of my driveway. Most of the time, though, I just find the poop.

I make a point of thanking anybody I see picking up their dog’s poop (anywhere, not just on my lawn).

31 Dalinian May 19, 2017 at 5:43 PM

Motion detector sprinklers….Works on the wild life in my back yard…

32 anon May 19, 2017 at 8:58 PM

@21 Mr. Concord

That sounds more like the work of Racoons who are avid climbers and enjoy heights. Did you actually see a cat going to the bathroom there? Cats generally like to bury there handiwork and tend to be fastidious. In my yard, the Racoons will select a spot and use it for the whole season, returning there, again and again. From the looks of it, the whole group of racoons uses the same area. They tend not to be solitary animals. The following year they will select a new spot and only visit that spot for bathroom duties. They travel on a circuit around the neighborhood and come through about every four or five days, depending on whethrr their is ripe fruit available on the fruit trees. If there is fruit available, they will stay in the area two or three nights. They are nocturnsl and it is rare to see them out during the daylight hours. I believe cats get blamed quite a bit when raccoons are actually the culprits.

33 Coach Stan May 19, 2017 at 9:45 PM

1. I don’t know if motion sensor sprinklers are legal. I do know it wastes water and we are in a drought. Isn’t brown the new green anyway?

2. Where dogs (and cats) supposed to urinate? Many live in apartments or high-rises with no green grass.

34 jjshawk May 19, 2017 at 11:07 PM

Motion & proximity sensing sprinklers, great idea! That solves both the dog and cat problem, and with any luck, the jerk-off owner my get a little as well.

35 Justyfiable Languor May 20, 2017 at 6:42 AM

Well, I am so glad I an not alone in this issue.

36 Turn and burn May 20, 2017 at 7:35 AM

Thankfully I don’t have dogs that poop on my lawn, I get the ones that poop on the sidewalk and the owners don’t pick it up. But my biggest complaint is the owners who walk by my house and let them pee on all my plants! Seriously people, you’re taking your dog for a walk right? Not a pee. I walk my dogs all the time also, but I never let them stop and pee or poop on someone’s property. I take pride in my house and yard as do my neighbors. I don’t want to pull weeds with dog urine all over it or have my fence reek of dog piss in the summer. And don’t say ” If that’s all you have to complain about you’re lucky.” I work hard for what I have and I would like to keep it that way. Maybe working in the yard is my way of de stressing? And maybe your way is walking your dog to pee and poop on others property so you don’t have to pick it up in your yard is yours.

37 Anonymous May 20, 2017 at 9:46 AM

We live off Treat Blvd on Navaronne Way. People walk their dogs down our street every single day and let their dogs poop on our beautiful lawn and just keep walking without picking it up! If my husband sees them, he stops them and tells them to come back and pick up their “belongings” they forgot. Some are embarrassed, others get mad about it. There are people who don’t even bring poop bags out to walk their dogs! Crappy neighbors indeed!
The ones that really get me are the people that have no leash, no bags, no regard.

38 Jo Ann Jo Ann May 20, 2017 at 11:18 AM

It is cats that are using my yard. Most neighbors have low maintained yards & I have a green lawn. They are not even burying it. I don’t have pets but love cats but have started putting stuff out that will repel them. Most are strays. Two neighbors put food out for them……. they don’t even care that it is causing a problem

39 Mel May 21, 2017 at 2:35 PM

This is not our problem, it is theirs. If you choose to live in an apartment, you choose to live there. And you choose to live there with pets. I didn’t choose that for you and you cannot make choices for MY property. Deal with it.

40 anon May 21, 2017 at 6:53 PM

Have you heard the expression, “Curb Your Dog?” You’re supposed to take the dog to the curb when you see indications it is ready to go. Other people’s lawns are not there as a place for your dog to relieve itself. It may just be there as a place for the neighborhood children to run and play ,in which case they will be stepping in it and tracking it into the house. Not a heslthy thing for them.

41 anon May 21, 2017 at 6:57 PM

Also, I believe dog parks were pretty much invented to solve this problem. Dogs tend to go when they exeecise a little, so ….

42 Steve Hazarabedian May 21, 2017 at 10:36 PM

General suggestion to any “dog-turd psychic” who believes him/herself capable of correctly guessing without proof about who’s not picking up after their pets.

I own dogs and pick up every single frickin’ turd plus any left out from other animals. I have done the turd-math, and that adds up to at least 8000 turds from animals not belonging to me over the last 10 years. Meanwhile strays and unattended pets whose owners let them run wild are out there crapping without an owner present to complain to. I still get yelled at 3-4 times a year. Your frustration needs to be directed with care.