The Water Cooler – Opioid Addictions

April 21, 2017 12:00 pm · 27 comments

The “Water Cooler” will be up Monday-Friday at noon.

Today’s question:

Does someone you know have an Opioid addiction? In what ways has it affected their and other’s lives?

Talk about it….

1 Aob April 21, 2017 at 12:08 PM

Used to, its pretty crippling on top of the pain the pills are ment for. **Thanks to Medical Marijuana** I’m far more comfortable, functional & not shaking all the time. Now if the Feds & the VA can get on board (or even you locals who won’t let me grow in my yard) I can save several thousand dollars a year.

2 Simonpure April 21, 2017 at 12:34 PM

Grow in your bathroom Aob

3 The Mamba April 21, 2017 at 1:04 PM

It’s really not as prevalent here as it is in the rest of the country. I had an a friend from high school die a few years back of liver failure, from what I told he was mixing alcohol and painkillers on a daily basis. He looked like he’d put on 150 pounds in the most recent picture from how I remembered him, left behind a wife and 4 year old girl.

4 Justifiable anger April 21, 2017 at 1:26 PM

I have witnessed a variety of addictions in extended family members, co-workers and stories from those who have communicated with the homeless.

You can clean up an addict, the problem is what comes afterwards. Many do not or cannot change their social style that would enable the cure to be completed. Whether they are fry-heads, dull wits or stubborn they must embrace a new outlook. And dump their old ‘friends’ and ‘hobbies’.

I have come to the conclusion that some people cannot handle freedom and must be treated accordingly. Very few have the backbone to live on their own after kicking a habit.

5 WC resident April 21, 2017 at 2:05 PM

I had one friend who had headaches bad enough that she would suffer from blackouts. It was getting dangerous with her passing out in places like Sun Valley Mall and hitting her head. She ended up on morphine which apparently also screws up the body’s ability to regulate water retention. I’d take her to John Muir emergency as she’d passed out from dehydration. She made it 36 years old before she killed herself. In her case morphine helped with the original problem a little but created others. Marijuana never helped much.

While some tout marijuana as a alternative to opioids it’s not worth it in my mind. From the long term users I’ve known it makes people stupid. People who use marijuana regularly tend to end up as losers drifting from one relationship or dead-end-job to the next. They get upset that they are such losers and escape to marijuana.

One person who seems to be helped by marijuana is a firefighter who fell through a roof and into the fire. While he’s no longer able to work marijuana holds some of the pain at bay. It’s not the lifestyle touted in “your golden years” brochures.

6 Addicted to no pain April 21, 2017 at 2:13 PM

Sometimes people are “addicted” to being able to function after a horrible accident that caused damage that is unbearable. There re many lev ladies of drugs and when not abused can help one live a life without being in constant pain. It’s sad so many want to be in a “Coma” through their life but that’s not everyone

7 anon April 21, 2017 at 2:14 PM

“Grow lights” hasten the formation of cataracts.

8 Ano April 21, 2017 at 2:19 PM

Those pills are the reason I had to leave my chold s father. It really stinks. It led him to a meth addiction. It’s over ten years later and no change.

9 Grammar April 21, 2017 at 2:27 PM

Nope don’t know anyone nor do I even care.

10 Coco Rez April 21, 2017 at 2:36 PM

Opioids are a double edge sword. They do help but can cause major issues and a lot eventually end up on heroin. Was on a pretty substantial dose for back problems and surgery. It was rough but you have to slowly tapper off or face horrible withdrawals.

@WC resident.
The people you know that smoke were probably losers anyway and the weed just made it worse. It would blow your mind some of the people who smoke and hold high paying jobs. I personally know some who make six figures.

11 Aob April 21, 2017 at 3:17 PM

Simonpure:

I can’t grow on the BART train & as for growing indoors under lights, that would use a ton of power & water (we all need to conserve that stuff) & were right back to several thousand dollars again. The sun & rain are free for everyone

12 House April 21, 2017 at 3:31 PM

Others’ **

13 House April 21, 2017 at 3:35 PM

I was hooked for four years, dozens a day… never smoked pot. Then, when I couldn’t get anymore one night- I turned to Pot for help. Have never touched pain pills since taking that joint and smoking it.

Pot cured my addiction. I couldn’t do it on my own without that crutch in the beginning. Smoked everyday for a couple weeks, and now am back to my old self again. I recognize myself. I missed me. Thank you god for Pot.

14 Silva April 21, 2017 at 4:07 PM

I ran across this a few days ago and thought it was pretty interesting;

The Likely Cause of Addiction Has Been Discovered, and It Is Not What You Think

15 McYodle April 21, 2017 at 4:27 PM

every single on of my childhood friends grew up to be a heroin addict – i am the only one who never touched the stuff and as a result i chose to walk away from all of my friends…. they have become walking zombies, intent only on acquiring the drug, unable to stay clean for more than a week or two at a time, always lying, sometimes attempting suicide… i hate opiates

16 Atticus Thraxx April 21, 2017 at 5:06 PM

Here’s some neat figures, if you’re into figures:
Alabama
In 2012, Alabama had more opioid prescriptions than residents—a higher rate than that of any other state.
Source: Centers for Disease Control & Prevention

Alaska
In 2012, Alaska’s prescription opioid overdose rate was more than double that of the United States as a whole.
Source: Alaska Department of Health and Social Services Division of Public Health

California
A total of 1,800 Californians had opioid-related deaths in 2013. Of those, 72% involved prescription opioids.
Source: California Department of Health

Maryland
In 2015, 1,259 people died from overdose deaths in Maryland; 86% of the cases involved opioids.
Source: Maryland state Department of Health and Mental Hygiene

Mississppi
The rate of painkiller prescriptions in Mississippi is 6th highest per capita among the 50 states, with 120 prescriptions for every 100 people.
Source: Centers for Disease Control & Prevention

New Hampshire
More than 13 million doses of opioids were dispensed at New Hampshire pharmacies in a single 3-month period in 2015.
Source: NH Prescription Drug Monitoring Program

Nevada
In units prescribed per 100,000 patients, Nevada ranks:
• Second-highest for hydrocodone
• Second-highest for oxycodone
• Fourth-highest for methadone
• Seventh-highest for codeine
Source: State of Nevada Plan to Reduce Prescription Drug Abuse

South Carolina
From July 1, 2013, through June 30, 2014, 1,226,159 South Carolinians received 4,211,181 prescriptions for opioids.
Source: South Carolina Governor’s Prescription Drug Abuse Prevention Council

Virginia
At least two Virginians die every day from a prescription opioid or heroin overdose.
Source: Virginia Department of Health

Wyoming
From 2004 to 2009, 4 million prescriptions were filled for 477,515 Wyoming residents. Opioids accounted for more than half of all those prescriptions each year.
Source: Casper Star Tribune

17 TIFOKCIS April 21, 2017 at 5:52 PM

As a teenager in the 70’s I used to relate to the pot high and getting (not being) drunk, with that said I cannot find anything about opiates people enjoy.

Must have a chemical imbalance or a severe desire to disconnect from their horrible existence in a world of reality.

Thankfully I had no one holding my hand and stopped smoking pot in my 20’s to be a better employee and never drank much. Most career addicts are enabled, sometimes for decades. Keep co-ing them on and they’ll never get clean.

18 Lizzie April 21, 2017 at 6:12 PM

Oh where to begin…My nephew, now 33 years has been clean for 9 months now. It all started when he was 18 and had his wisdom teeth pulled. He was given Vicodin for the pain. That was the beginning of my sister-in laws nightmare. He became a heroin addict around 24 years old. He blew through $10,000 that his grandmother gave him when he turned 25, in less than a month. Everything in all our homes was on lock down when he was around, The sad thing was that he is so smart and had so much potential. He was in and out of re-hab many times and would be OK but it never lasted. For 10 years we did everything we could to help him, then it dawned on us, he didn’t want the help, he chose this life style and we cut him off. When he was 30, he met a girl also an addict, and they slept on the streets for a year or so. One day she called my sister-in law and begged for help. She helped her, found a detox/re-hab center for her and after 3 months moved her into a SLE. home. During this time, she refused to see my nephew, he begged and pleaded with her to no avail. Until he got clean. He agreed to go on a methadone program, which he did, but it was just exchanging one drug for another. After being in the methadone program for over a year and holding down a job, she agreed to see him and it opened his eyes. If she can do it so can I. He went through a medical detox and also moved into a sober living facility. We all know that at any time he can relapse, but for now, we got him back. Its been 9 months and there is not a day that goes by, that he does not text us his daily inspiration and even though we turned our back on him, he is so grateful that we are still in his life…..And we are grateful that he is in ours.

19 That's Mr Pugnacious to you April 21, 2017 at 6:25 PM

My niece became addicted to heroin, no thanks to one of her @sswagon boyfriends in high school. That put a huge strain on our family. She almost died from an overdose too.

My best friend from high school was addicted to pain killers. His addiction ruined two of his marriage, and cost him several friendships, including ours, due to his lies and theft.

20 Mika April 21, 2017 at 7:27 PM

Pot is the natural pain healer.

21 Janis April 21, 2017 at 8:50 PM

O.D.ed on Heroin and made millions of dollars for My Record Company!

22 Silva April 21, 2017 at 10:47 PM

Atticus Thraxx, Those are some astonishing numbers.

23 Anon April 22, 2017 at 1:22 AM

I am considered medically necessarily opioid dependent but it is a fancy term for addict. I take the lowest amount of medicine I can to function but after 8 years I’m pretty sure detox would be hell. I still go to PT and MDs an have had more surgical opinions than I can count. The way my pelvis shattered and my spine twisted I am a poor surgical candidate for the options available today. I need to make my life liveable on the day to day to care for my family and be productive in society. I have yet found a way to do this without some level of pain management. Each year it seems to get more complicated for me to get meds and that is with proper documentation ie MRIs, CTs, Xrays yet often I go to the pharmacy and they are sold out?!? WTF?

24 MEe April 22, 2017 at 7:48 AM

I did once but kicked it. With the help of my doctor. See a doctor and ask how to do it. One thing he told me when I quit was ” you will feeling like you are dying but you are not. It was three moneth of white knuckling it before I came out of my severe withdraws and depression. Was not easy but now it is nothing. I won’t touch any pain meds unless it is non opiate./ Maybe someday I will need it. But hopefully that will be my final days with Hospice in the future. I plan on going out doped up to the max. Not now. They ruin lives. After a few years you cannot sleep at night and basically go mad. Which I did. I was a wreck. If you possibly can stay the hell away from it. Three years now and no pain meds except Advil etc. And i feel like another person. It is worth it to quit.

25 Justifiable anger April 22, 2017 at 9:13 AM

So, what to do with the druggies? Dole out drugs and living expenses as a reward of course.

We do not need Mexicans to grow our food. We have excons, homeless and drug addicts. Most of which want to be productive, but cannot focus on a positive lifestyle long enough to live healthy.

This group has varying degrees of trust worthiness. They can be accorded the tasks of: Growing, harvesting food. Cleaning and cooking for their facilities. Supervising, watch dogging and teaching. The ones that can be rehabilitated will eventually graduate with work and life skills. The hard core druggers will continue to do the menial chores for the reward. Pot, food living quarters etc.

Why not? It will be good for their self esteem to contribute. And the excons and homeless will have an out when they graduate into society.

26 Atticus Thraxx April 22, 2017 at 4:01 PM

Dang, it’s heartbreaking what some of you guys went through. Thanks for sharing your struggle whether it was a loved one or your own. I’ve brush up against alot of the pitfalls in life that can trap you, but can’t speak to the courage it takes to emerge when fully engulfed. And fortunately my kids have avoided them too. So far anyway. If I didn’t hate the term ‘kudos’, I’d use it now.

27 Dr. Jellyfinger April 23, 2017 at 10:44 PM

Correct me if I’m wrong…. but this has nothing to do with Ron Howard does it?