The Water Cooler – McDonald’s or Burger King

April 20, 2017 12:00 pm · 53 comments

The “Water Cooler” will be up Monday-Friday at noon.

Today’s question:

You have to eat one or the other, no exceptions…McDonald’s or Burger King?

Talk about it….

1 Whatever April 20, 2017 at 12:04 PM

Sometimes you just need a Big Mac. As gross as they are, they meet a need.

I’ve never, ever hankered for a Whopper.

2 Concord Mike April 20, 2017 at 12:06 PM

BK has better burgers, but McDonald’s has better fries and coffee.

I’ll go with McDonald’s

3 DJ April 20, 2017 at 12:08 PM

McDonald’s

4 summerone April 20, 2017 at 12:19 PM

Then I don’t eat, that stuff is disgusting!
I havnt been to either one in probably 25 years and there’s good reason for that…You should have to ask why, the stuff is just disgusting.

5 anon April 20, 2017 at 12:19 PM

Mc Donald’s is a happy place!

6 Anon April 20, 2017 at 12:19 PM

BK, only because of the flame broiling.

7 Liveitup April 20, 2017 at 12:23 PM

McDonalds…to quote my 7 yr old when asked if he wanted to try Burger King for a change “no way, Burger King burns their burgers”

8 SmileWC April 20, 2017 at 12:25 PM

McDonald’s for its coffee-tastes good and a great value! – $1.00 plus tax for a large.

9 Guttin' it April 20, 2017 at 12:27 PM

I would get a Big Mac then a Whopper. I would then lay down and feel sorry for myself.

10 J. April 20, 2017 at 12:29 PM

Mcdonald’s for cookies, ice cream cone, $1 drinks, pies, and French fries.

Burger King for the rest.

11 Cowellian April 20, 2017 at 12:37 PM

There was a time when it really did take two hands to handle a Whopper. Now, the Whopper is just another burger, Nevertheless, it’s still a better burger than any burger that McDonald’s sells.

12 Wellll..... April 20, 2017 at 12:41 PM

If I HAVE to eat at one or the other, I’ll take Burger King…better burgers!

13 Justyfiable Languor April 20, 2017 at 12:44 PM

BK.

14 Spark Baldman April 20, 2017 at 12:51 PM

Mc D’s. @#4 Thanks for your input summerone. You are so much better than everyone. Your the best. Keep it up.

15 Cyn April 20, 2017 at 12:57 PM

Ditto Concord Mike – BK burger and McD fries.

16 AnonZ April 20, 2017 at 12:58 PM

Agree with #4; but if I had too, it would be McD’s and only french fries.

17 No Thanks April 20, 2017 at 1:10 PM

McBreakfast at McD’s, Burger @TheKing’s …but only since you said I HAD to choose. Would prefer neither!

18 Captain Bebops April 20, 2017 at 1:11 PM

I have only been to McDonald’s a few times and found their food blah if not the epitome of “plastic food”. Burger King occasionally has something interesting. I even found their “mac’n cheese fries” kinda tasty. But I eat fast food rarely as even it is getting too expensive for dining out.

19 Anon24 April 20, 2017 at 1:12 PM

McD’s because of the breakfasts, coffee, milkshakes, fries, McChicken and they now have cuties.

20 Strad April 20, 2017 at 1:12 PM

Lately it’s been more BK than McD.

21 EvilOreo April 20, 2017 at 1:16 PM

Burger King. Double whopper with cheese, no onions, heavy ketchup and mustard and a large fry. I go there maybe 3 times a year and this is what I always order even though the combo is a lot cheaper (I don’t drink soda).

22 GregTheElder April 20, 2017 at 1:26 PM

Burger King® Hands down. I wanna try the Bacon King.

23 Clayton Squirrel April 20, 2017 at 1:41 PM

I like that Burger King is moving towards buying chickens and eggs from farms that have more humane conditions. I thought that McDonalds might be doing that too. When it goes into effect I would be more inclined to eat at either one.

I used to like BK more but today I’d give the better overall taste win to McDonald’s.

24 Mika April 20, 2017 at 1:46 PM

Mcdonalds fries/Burger King hamburgers.

25 Really April 20, 2017 at 1:50 PM

BK has a new chicken sandwich that is pretty good. I agree it is all gross, but you just have to sometimes. It tastes good, but makes you feel like crap later.

26 Mr. John April 20, 2017 at 1:53 PM

For 1 meal: BK. However, the wife is a firm McD follower.

However, if I’m ranking fast food placed I’d go, Carl’s Jr., Jack in the Box, In N Out, Habit, Popeye’s, KFC, Taco Bell, Del Taco and Wendy’s all beat both of them.

27 Anon April 20, 2017 at 2:24 PM

I agree with many others: BK for burgers McD for fries but only once in a great while.

28 Wow! April 20, 2017 at 2:27 PM

Mc Donald’s hands down.
Fries and McNuggets. Being bad never tasted soooo good.

29 Elwood April 20, 2017 at 2:48 PM

Burger Thing!

30 summerone April 20, 2017 at 3:06 PM

I forgot to choose 1 if no other option, it would be BK for breakfast only hands down on sausage croissants (mCd breakfast is gross). Wouldn’t ever go for lunch or dinner to either.
I cant believe so many of you actually like that food?

31 Bazooka Joe April 20, 2017 at 3:12 PM

Gross. I have only eaten at McDonald’s once (early 60’s) when the burgers were fifteen cents and it was the nastiest thing I ever tasted.
I went to Burger King once and ordered a burger medium rare, they told me I cannot have it medium rare, that they only serve them well done. I left without eating. Their slogan, “Have it your way,” is meaningless.
The only burger joint I like is Fuddruckers.

32 ClayDen April 20, 2017 at 3:28 PM

Once in a while I have the urge for a McDonald’s fish sandwich (light on the tartar sauce) and fries. If I want a burger, it’s In-N-Out or The Habit.

33 Nene April 20, 2017 at 4:03 PM

Burger King, for sure. Whopper Jr. is a good deal. And they put tomatoes on the burgers!

34 dinkydau April 20, 2017 at 4:37 PM

In the early 70’s, I remember seeing them on the grill, making the burgers at mickey D’s on S. Calif. in walnut creek. Not now. Everything is put in the microwave. I dont trust the nuggets or chicken chunks. Dont know what parts of the chicken it is. I go to In n Out. Everything is made there on the spot.

35 Anonx April 20, 2017 at 4:39 PM

Jack n box all the way! Sourdough jack burger with a monster taco on my cheat days!

36 anontwo April 20, 2017 at 5:03 PM

BK unless there is a Digger’s, Crogan’s Montclair, Fruddruckers, Carl’s Jr, Red Robin, Nations, or my own griddle within 150 miles. No votes for Mel’s Original??? Haven’t been to MD since the 1990’s and the _____ _____ Beanie Babies. I can still taste the fries on the roof of my mouth, yuck. Rubber pancake eeeewwww!!

37 Mimi (original) April 20, 2017 at 5:08 PM

Burger King Fish Sandwich!! FAR superior to the McD’s filet-o-fish which is tiny and overpriced!!

38 Aspirin April 20, 2017 at 6:07 PM

McD. The salads are pretty good.

39 Ricardoh April 20, 2017 at 6:11 PM

I took my seven year old grandson to Burger King not knowing his parents would never take him there. They are In and Out people. Anyway I got him a whooper with fries and he finished before me. When I got him home he told his Mom and it was sort of an OMG moment. He then told her he like In and Out better. I not sure he does though. Now my grand daughter wants to go to Burger King. For years the poor kids wanted to go to Burger King. I’m in trouble.

40 Betterchance April 20, 2017 at 6:26 PM

I like the Big Mac two times a year, now I eat at the Habit.
Really is right, after I eat a Whopper at the BK, it makes me feel not so good.

41 Grewah April 20, 2017 at 7:05 PM

Mickey D’s

42 ConcordMike April 20, 2017 at 9:09 PM

Whopper with cheese and bacon over McD’s any day. But McD’s offers a better variety and are getting healthier each day.

43 Dr. Jellyfinger April 20, 2017 at 9:45 PM

They are both suckie… but McDonald’s is passable in an emergency, no time/nowhere else to eat… it’s either this or nothing, type of situation, but both places have gotten way too expensive and need to change the fryer oil more often.
McDonald’s breakfast items aren’t too awful… but if I gotta do fast food I get a good meal at Panda Express, Nations or ToGo’s for $8.00 or KFC for $5.50
If I’m in Walnut Creek I go to Evie’s at Encina Grande… Nom!

44 Sandy G. April 20, 2017 at 10:42 PM

McDonalds. Except for “chicken” nuggets. Icky !

45 Ricardus April 20, 2017 at 11:28 PM

Neither. Although I’ve been amused with Wendy’s Twitter feed.

46 Wondering? April 21, 2017 at 7:47 AM

That stuff is all fake – the plastics in the bun – the infused flavoring in the meat to make it taste “grilled” – all utter crap

47 The Mamba April 21, 2017 at 8:05 AM

McDonald’s because they have better fries and more options. I do love the Burger King original chicken sandwich though.

48 jen April 21, 2017 at 8:35 AM

Those regular lil hamburgers with the diced onions at Mc D’s – YUM – but I can not eat there I would get sick. Have not had fast food in many years.
I choose to either light the charcoal on my own grill or turn on the propane on for my other grill and make the best burger at home! Always queing! Then BEST way to go.
Good Guys are great though and so is The Habit for an easier/lazier effort-which is sometimes needed.
Happy Spring, grilling all year!

49 Mixed Vegetables April 22, 2017 at 8:18 AM

To everyone saying fast food is gross, why did you even comment? The question wasn’t “do you like or hate fast food?”.. So many bitter people.. Unless you eat only organic fruits and vegetables, you’re intaking chemicals. You think food is naturally supposed to sit on a shelf for weeks or months?

On to the question I like them both, but I prefer McDonalds. BK has hash brown tots and you can select a size vs McDs one size hash brown which I dislike about McDs. BK doesn’t have English muffins though, only croissants and biscuits. I love the sausage egg mcmuffin and the fact that I can pick a size of orange juice from McDs. BK has a one size carton of OJ. Bleh.

50 Justifiable anger April 22, 2017 at 9:36 AM

Mixed Veggies. I also enjoy fast food on occasion. I also believe you should periodically keep in touch with the local ‘poisons’. If not for your immunity but to keep it real.

One thing. I have noticed that after imbibing in junk food, I do not have that satisfied ‘full’ feeling. Such as, I used to enjoy a fast food burger on occasion. Now I simply must have a real burger from a quality oriented joint. Weird.

51 Silva April 22, 2017 at 11:19 AM

Well I have tried a couple of times to pipe in with my feelings on what these two corporations are passing off as food. Both of my prior comments; “no thanks” and ‘Blechh” were moderated out, so Mixed Vegetables, there could have been many more detractors than we’ll know. For me it’s not a matter of snobbishness, but survival. My body has rebelled in the past to something, and run amok. I don’t know exactly what, but there are a few things which I CAN control to try to avoid a repeat of it, and one of those is I can eat real food, all the time. I must know what is in my food (as much as possible) and I don’t eat anything with ingredients I don’t understand or can’t pronounce. I don’t eat at either of these places anymore but when I did I enjoyed the burgers at BK more than Mickey D’s. I never did care for their deep fat fried foods, so not a factor. It sure isn’t the same as it was when they had a griddle or a grill, and the “fresh” stuff on the burger was chopped up on premises, rather than 1000s of miles away. Those burgers were definitely harder to resist.

52 anon April 22, 2017 at 2:39 PM

I guess I’d starve, because I’d only be going along for the ride.

53 Atticus Thraxx April 22, 2017 at 4:12 PM

Burger King. Hands down. Though to call any of it ‘food’ is a stretch.