Bay Area Ranked in Top 10 for Worst Air Pollution Nationwide

April 20, 2017 14:00 pm · 25 comments

The San Francisco Bay Area ranks among the top 10 most polluted regions in the country, according to a report issued Wednesday by the American Lung Association.

State of the Air 2017 is based on air quality monitoring from 2013 to 2015, and includes San Benito and San Joaquin counties in the greater Bay Area.

San Joaquin County has the highest level of year-round particle pollution levels in the region. The county suffered its worst period ever for pollution from diesel exhaust, wood burning devices, wildfires and other
sources of soot, a situation exacerbated by climate change and recent drought conditions, according to the American Lung Association.

Overall, the Bay Area’s particle pollution ranked sixth nationwide for the number of unhealthy days and fourth nationwide for year-round levels.

This puts area residents at risk for health problems like asthma and lung cancer.

“I run cross-country and compete in track and field, so I always need to be aware of my surroundings,” Jaxin Woodward, a 15-year-old high school athlete from Vacaville, said in a statement. “Exhaust from cars triggers asthma attacks a lot for me.”

There was a reduction in the number of days with unhealthy levels of ozone. San Francisco, Marin, Santa Cruz and Sonoma counties all had zero unhealthy ozone days during the period monitored.

The report also indicates that the number of unhealthy ozone days have dropped throughout the state and nationwide, which the American Lung Association attributes to the federal Clean Air Act.

Air quality laws and policies to combat climate change save lives, according to the American Lung Association, and need to be protected in Congress.

1 WC April 20, 2017 at 2:25 PM

Compared to the 1960’s and 1970’s there is about no pollution. This is to the point where it’s a sham.

2 Cpl Punishment April 20, 2017 at 2:44 PM

WC, the report (http://www.lung.org/assets/documents/healthy-air/state-of-the-air/state-of-the-air-2017.pdf) actually notes that pollution has fallen since then. Reporting on the report is the sham.

Being closer to China, we also suffer from their exported pollution (http://www.pnas.org/content/111/5/1736).

3 summerone April 20, 2017 at 2:50 PM

Oh boy I’m sure Gov Brown-Nose will initiate special taxes to take care of it.
I live in Los Angeles in the late 60’s, this is clean air compared to that, quit complaining people. Of course bay area is ranked 10’th its a heavily populated area, bunch of dummies.

4 FCA April 20, 2017 at 3:06 PM

Deport the illegals and clean up the air. Fewer crappy cars on the roads would help everyone.

5 Cellophane April 20, 2017 at 3:34 PM

Phony news for self-serving agendas, more money for the failed BAAQM and a panic for the blind and bumbling bleeding hearts.

6 Original G April 20, 2017 at 3:41 PM

Global winds blow west to east subtract pollution coming over from China then see what numbers say.

7 Reality Knocks April 20, 2017 at 3:49 PM

The American Lung Association has zero credibility these days, and has become an extreme political action organization, with a biased agenda. Just look at how they grade cities, for their anti-smoking laws, attempting to manipulate city councils.

8 Tucker April 20, 2017 at 4:31 PM

Ban Leak Blowers Now. Every day one is spewing toxic gas near you.

9 George April 20, 2017 at 4:39 PM

I bet the American Lung Association is not at this party?

Thousands turn out for Golden Gate Park’s 4/20 party.

10 Hmm ? April 20, 2017 at 4:53 PM

Solution is simple STOP building new housing units. Bay Area has reached it’s people limit.

11 pac islander April 20, 2017 at 5:00 PM

How about stop giving amnesty to all the “poor” people driving around with unregistered cars that don’t get smogged. Cops are told not to tow and hold these cars for proper registration and smog certificates because its racist.

I’m sick of it.

12 TIFOKCIS April 20, 2017 at 5:02 PM

I read it, so its true.

Liberal 101

13 PO'd April 20, 2017 at 5:29 PM

Very questionable data if including San Joaquin county, which is NOT part of the Bay Area (same with San Benito).
Of course,those counties must have poor air to drag down the numbers. San Joaquin is known to have poor air quality
BOGUS.

14 Vandy April 20, 2017 at 5:42 PM

Wow its the perfect time for Conservatives to eliminate the EPA, deregulate the biggest polluters, and start some new wars. Great job guys

15 Aob April 20, 2017 at 5:53 PM

At least we aren’t New Jersey

16 Mr. White April 20, 2017 at 6:35 PM

It’s all the homeless encampments they burn anything and everything. Oh but I can’t have a fire in my fireplace on thanksgiving or Christmas

17 Coco Rez April 20, 2017 at 8:04 PM

@Hmm

I agree but we know that’s not happening.

18 Cautiously Informed April 20, 2017 at 9:24 PM

I remember summers in LA in the late 60s where it was advised that residents should not go out of their houses on bad air pollution days. Also, the pollution would burn your throat when you inhaled, and made it feel like you constantly had a sore throat. Nowadays it’s nothing compared to that.

19 RunnerDope April 20, 2017 at 11:36 PM

Conservative logic: the air quality used to be worse so it must be good now.

20 H April 21, 2017 at 12:38 AM

Blame the leaf blowers, it almost worked in Orinda. Spread the FUD, fulfill an agenda!

21 smoke in your eyes April 21, 2017 at 7:04 AM

I grew up in Southern Ca. from ’48-1967 and I do remember that in the summer it was very smoggy on hot days. It would burn your eyes and if you went swimming in a pool which I did plenty of, the chlorine and smog would make everything look hazy, at least to me.
Up here is nothing compared to that back in those days.
Remember that if the EPA/AQMB etc, actually did get rid of the pollution, they would be out of work. So you can figure out why this so-called ‘problem’ will always exist.

22 TIFOKCIS April 21, 2017 at 7:39 AM

I spent my summers in Norwalk, CA 1969-1975. I remember the eye burning smog and my grandma wouldn’t let me go outside during the day. The only comparison I have is Redding last summer during the Lake County fire.

Doped up ‘Runner’ can write anything. The facts is the air is cleaner, what else does his indoctrinated ‘feelings’ want from a region with a staggering population explosion?

10 fold population and cleaner air. THINK!

23 Bill Pickle April 21, 2017 at 7:51 AM

Liberal logic: If the government democrats say it’s true, then it’s true.

24 Fake News April 21, 2017 at 8:36 AM

Propaganda.

The left wing nuts want an automobile free utopia.

One Bay Area, etc.

25 Clean Air April 21, 2017 at 12:45 PM

I agree the report is pretty much BS, and I certainly hope that folks don’t really believe all the progress has been made that can be made with regard to both cleaning up and reducing pollutants put into the air by our actions. For those of you that truly believe our actions have no impact, just wrap you lips around a tail pipe and breath deeply while the vehicle accelerates.
I will ask why is it that we have such great air now compared to back in the day? Please don’t say the cars got better. While that is a ture fact; why did the cars get better? Please be honest and don’t spout utopian BS that will never happen on either side of the political spectrum.