Walnut Creek: Update: Bart Trains Halted After Person Threatens Jump From Platform

April 19, 2017 14:21 pm · 33 comments

No BART train service is going through Walnut Creek this afternoon because of someone threatening to jump off of the station platform, an agency spokesman said.

The incident began around 1:30 p.m. and BART police have responded
to negotiate with the person, BART spokesman Taylor Huckaby said.

Pittsburg/Bay Point trains are turning around at Lafayette and
SFO-bound trains at Pleasant Hill until the situation is resolved, and
passengers can expect delays of more than 20 minutes, Huckaby said.

Parallel bus service is running between Pleasant Hill and
Lafayette and passengers should speak to station agents to be directed to the
buses, he said.

1 Mr. Pink April 19, 2017 at 2:29 PM

Are they threatening to jump to the ground below or onto the tracks/electric rail?

2 TIFOKCIS April 19, 2017 at 2:30 PM

Go threaten to jump somewhere else.

3 The_BART_Experience April 19, 2017 at 2:53 PM

Caught in delay. Tons of police. Drove to Orinda.

4 Skippy April 19, 2017 at 2:53 PM

Grab him, net, taser, something and let me and the other thousands of commuters get home, then bill him for the expense.

5 Gravity Sucks April 19, 2017 at 2:57 PM

I don’t think that fall would be enough to do the job, especially with such close proximity to John Muir Drama Center.

Probably easiest to let them jump and have an ambulance waiting at the bottom.

I guess that’s kind of the “Clint Eastwood” style of negotiation. Go ahead…

6 oughme April 19, 2017 at 2:59 PM

I can see him from my office window. Poor guy. He is hanging on the outside of the platform above a walkway. There is a firetruck below him. He is getting tired. I’m hoping they talk him into coming down, soon.

7 RA April 19, 2017 at 3:12 PM

@oughme – That’s so sad! I am sorry you have to see that.

8 Selfish April 19, 2017 at 3:15 PM

This selfish person is causing a major delay preventing me from picking my children. Also going to delay thousands of other people from completing their obligations, all because they had to make a spectical of their issues. It’s bad this person feels the need to kill themselves, but they being incredibly selfish by doing it this way.

9 The BART Experience April 19, 2017 at 3:16 PM

I think BART should spend 3 Million on more police instead of higher barricades.

10 Why April 19, 2017 at 3:19 PM

Why couldn’t he do this st lunch and not ruin every bodies commute.

11 taytay April 19, 2017 at 3:40 PM

Oughme-
Is he dangling to the ground or the tracks?

12 Wonder April 19, 2017 at 3:49 PM

I wonder if there has been a study of how many people commit suicide soon after one has been on the news such as Aaron Hernandez.

13 taytay April 19, 2017 at 3:51 PM

Is the the whole station closed or can I get my car?

14 Cellophane April 19, 2017 at 3:58 PM

Now that the GGB is closed, they’ll all be coming over here.

15 Wasserman April 19, 2017 at 4:12 PM

Tranquilizer gun and a net.

16 oughme April 19, 2017 at 4:14 PM

He is dangling to the ground in the walkway between the parking structure and the north parking lot. There are 2 fire trucks and an ambulance. There are police up on the platform trying to get him to come down. He has kicked his shoes off and sometimes looks like he is going to jump and then he relaxes. I understand the frustration for those commuters. Since he is over the ledge from he platform it is impossible for the police to nab him w/o him seeing them. He has been there since 1:30 pm and may be there for awhile. I would look for alternatives, if it were me. Sorry for those of you that this messes up. Very frustrating. I doubt, though, that that is what he is worried about at this point in his life. I’ll keep you posted if things change.

17 oughme April 19, 2017 at 4:19 PM

As far as your car, I see people leaving the north parking lot. I’m not sure about the south lot; I cannot see it. And I’m not sure about he parking structure. THey have stopped cars from going out the North exit. Not sure about the other side where this is not happening.

18 The Mamba April 19, 2017 at 4:23 PM

Did they shoot him yet?

19 Pyrrhus April 19, 2017 at 4:37 PM

Hope everything works out and the man can get the help that he needs. This nation seriously needs to get serious about mental health.

Also, to those attacking the man of being selfish for inconveniencing them, I don’t know what to say to you. Your time is more important than a person suffering? Imagine if that was your Husband/Father/Brother, would you still feel the same? You don’t know what this man’s situation is to have driven him to the brink.

20 Jack's Fan April 19, 2017 at 4:45 PM

Just watched a BART train go past my office, from WC station heading towards PH

21 oughme April 19, 2017 at 4:47 PM

They are running trains through the station but not stopping. I’m assuming there are passengers, so perhaps that will help the commuters.

22 Abbie R. April 19, 2017 at 4:49 PM

Gov. MoonBeam and his party have repealed so many Laws, why don’t they repeal the Law of Gravity, just for this type of civil disobedience?

23 OMGREALLY April 19, 2017 at 4:56 PM

SUCIDE IS SELFISH. HOPE HE GET’S THE MENTAL HELP HE NEEDS. I MEAN THERE ARE A LOT OF SUCIDE POSTERS ON THE BART PLATFORM.

24 oughme April 19, 2017 at 5:32 PM

They sent up a ladder and eventually lowered it/him to the ground. Over and out.

25 Honestly April 19, 2017 at 5:43 PM

For those complaining about someone taking up their precious time, this is a truly unfortunate situation where patience is needed. Inconvenient, yes, but what if YOU had an emergency on BART? Would you want others complaining about your choice of where you had a heart attack?

Are people so stressed, narcissistic, callous and selfish that the smallest thing sets them off these days? Take a chill pill before you write your hate.

26 Silly April 19, 2017 at 6:00 PM

pyrrhus
yes thats what we are worried about. ima nervous wreck while my child is stuck on a bart train with alot of unsavory people. trust and believe that was our last resort or she would not even be on the train. theres people on that train who’s daycares will be calling CPS because they didn’t pick their kids up. this is more than just an inconvenience pertaining to time some peoples lives will be effected by somebody playing games. this is a cry for attention and help. people who really wanna kill themselves do it where there is no one there to intervene. i am very sorry this man is in the predicament he is in but that does not give him the right to selfishly block thousands of people coming to and from work and wherever else.

27 Silva April 19, 2017 at 6:06 PM

I do feel for the person. I am not unfamiliar with suicide. There also are probably people who have been more than just “inconvenienced” by this. I dunno, thinking people who really did need to be somewhere, stranded kids and who knows, but there are sure to be at least some difficult situations for people.

28 mary f - ph April 19, 2017 at 7:09 PM

Selfish #8:

“This selfish person is causing a major delay preventing me from picking my children”

You pick up your children using BART?! LOL.

29 suicide ruins lives April 19, 2017 at 8:29 PM

Those of you who are inconvenienced… I truly hope to god and all that is holy that you are never touched by suicide. I would give anything for even a few hours of inconvenience if I could have my sister back. No one has compassion anymore. You should be ashamed.

30 Another Anon April 20, 2017 at 8:31 AM

If living your life amongst your fellow humans is so hard, keep in mind why you do it. You have support systems like jobs, goods and services, transportation and easy access to entertainment and friends and family and a whole host of other things but on the downside… things like this happen in populated areas. Your fellow humans you live amongst with might at times inconvenience you. You have to deal with the negatives of living in populated areas to have the positives. If that equation is not working for you maybe consider moving to a small town elsewhere or even farther out with even less humans. It might be more desirable and you might actually be less callous if it was the only doctor, shop keep, mechanic or teacher in town actually threatening suicide.

31 BART BS April 20, 2017 at 9:32 AM

I usually don’t try to second guess police tactics, but this man was on the outside of the platform with 4 or 5 officers between the barrier and the platform. I can MAYBE see not stopping trains at WC, but continue through. But shutting the system down for over 3 hours? Really? That guy had no chance in hell of getting to the platform!

I liken it to shutting down a roadway when the cars have been safely removed from the roadway. Another bonehead move by BART!! The media should be all over this asking why they shut the system down when there was no viable threat to the platform, the tracks, or passengers.

32 The BART Experience April 22, 2017 at 1:02 AM

I was there at Walnut Creek too and also didn’t think they needed to halt service. Saw BPD in the parking structure with gun drawn watching the guy. Thought that was a little extreme. I hope the new police chief will do something about BART’s lame police department.

33 28, duh April 22, 2017 at 6:05 AM

You come home from work on Bart and then go to pick up your children. Probably with your car that you are driving home from the bartender station. Yer a jenyus