Crogan’s Employees: Bar Closing After 39-years in Walnut Creek

January 15, 2017 13:02 pm · 86 comments

crogans_sports_bar

After 39-years in Walnut Creek, Crogan’s Sports Bar & Grill is closing, according to employees.

Employees of the Locust St. bar say they’re holding a ‘Going Out of Business Party’ on Jan.22, which will be its last day in business, according to sources.

Recently, the Walnut Creek Planning Commission recommendation that Crogan’s stop serving and selling alcohol at midnight and close at 12:30 a.m. after they found that Crogan’s, as operated, constitutes a public nuisance.

Crogan’s had its license suspended for 20 days in 2014 because of numerous police calls to deal with fights, assaults and public drunkenness. They also had their license to sell alcohol suspended twice before that — for 10 days in 2008 for selling alcohol to a minor and 15 days in 2010 for serving an obviously intoxicated patron and allowing public drunkenness, according to the Department of Alcoholic and Beverage Control.

UPDATE: The owners just posted the following statement on Facebook:

Friends of Crogan’s.

It’s with a heavy heart that we announce that after 39 years of business, Crogan’s will officially be closing the doors on Monday, January 23.

Many of you have been following the dealings with Crogan’s and the city of Walnut Creek. Unfortunately, the city has made it clear that they have very specific ideas in mind for what Walnut Creek should be and Crogan’s no longer fits into their narrative. Ultimately, we have been forced to close our doors.

Crogan’s will have modified hours this week: Monday, January 16 – Thursday, January 19, we will be open from 4 p.m. – 12:30 a.m. Next Friday, January 20th – Sunday, 22 we will be open from Noon – 12:30 a.m.

For all of our friends and family who’ve had a meal, a drink, celebrated a big night out with our Crogan’s family. For those of you who worked with/for either our Dad (Wayne) or our Mom (Patsy). For anyone who met their significant other there (I know there are a lot of you), hosted, bussed or bartended. Come help us celebrate.

Please plan to join us as we celebrate 39 years of business, community and family on Sunday, January 22 from 10 a.m. – until close. Complimentary food will be provided. For those who can’t come by Sunday, please come visit us this week, share your memories and bid your favorite bartenders farewell!

Crogan’s is all our family has known and we’re heartbroken to see it come to an end the way it has.

Thank you for the many years of loyal patronage and love.

Onward!

photo credit: Zomato.com

Nick January 15, 2017 at 1:17 PM

At their going out of business party they should serve water, soda and Crystal Light. Alcohol has caused enough problems at that place. Good riddance.

Creeker January 15, 2017 at 1:28 PM

Although Crogans has been a part of the downtown area for a long time, I will not be weeping with it’s demise. It’s become a big problem in many ways and there’s no better solution. I would like to see a great place like Hop Grenade in Concord take over the place.

Mary January 15, 2017 at 1:35 PM

So, out goes a business that has been there for 39 years and in come the homeless. Good planning Walnut Creek! I’ve had many a fun happy hour on your deck, good memoiries. Thank you Crogans.

sideline January 15, 2017 at 1:44 PM

makes me feel sad. Out with a family owned small business….in with a chain restaurant.

T-Rex January 15, 2017 at 1:44 PM

RIP Brogans!!!

WC resident January 15, 2017 at 1:48 PM

I’m happy to see that they gave their employees some heads up though a week does not seem like enough time.

I won’t miss Crogan’s as I stopped going there 1998 when they switched their focus from being a restaurant to being a bar.

Upset jet January 15, 2017 at 1:58 PM

Its about time that dump shut its doors. Talk about attracting scum bags. I love how they blame the city in their message saying “it doesnt fit their narrative”. Crogans doesnt fit anybodys narrative. Maybe it used to be a nice place way back when but in the last 15 or so years it has been a wreck.

Jill Scheidel January 15, 2017 at 2:00 PM

Sad to.see it go.

Puffandstuff January 15, 2017 at 2:00 PM

How sad! Had many fun nights there in my college years. Another WC landmark bites the dust. Best wishes to the owners and employees.

Jill Scheidel January 15, 2017 at 2:01 PM

Sad to see it go. I remember when it was a white tablecloth fish restaurant and the bar was the after-work yuppie place to be!!

Chris Potaken January 15, 2017 at 2:05 PM

This hole is a joke! Constant fights, drunk ass clowns and more recently….shootings are NOT what we want in Walnut Creek! Glad to see this place closing! I hope this will send a message to all the bars to get their business in order!

Cheryll January 15, 2017 at 2:05 PM

Many memories of gathering and meeting people that I will never forget, and often remember. My period of time was in the early years so I have no idea about the issues that must have added to this event but I hope that the existence of these places does not continue it’s demise. People meeting on their computers or through anonymous interactions is ridiculous and unfortunate. Face to face good times with friends is good for all of us, but if people don’t know how to act right in public, I hope they learn to stay home instead of ruining places for everyone. If you drink until you are drunk in public, get help or grow up. Good Bye Crogan’s, and thanks for the memories.

Anthony January 15, 2017 at 2:14 PM

Bye Felicia!

Get ready for the ‘I hope they open an Olive Garden there..’ crowd.

Julio January 15, 2017 at 2:14 PM

Once mom and dad really didn’t have much to do with it down hill it went. Hasn’t been a nice place for half its life time. Good riddance. All on Crogan”s not the city.

Mika January 15, 2017 at 2:24 PM

Another bar will take its place. Too much money to make selling booze.

Jose January 15, 2017 at 2:35 PM

A lot of people showing hatred for Crogans. I for one had many many fun nights there and football Sundays were always a blast! I enjoyed many years as a patron and I enjoyed the three years that I worked there as well. Sad to see it go

Don't let the door hit you .... on the way out! January 15, 2017 at 2:42 PM

Fights. Drunks. Police Calls. Shootings.

Yes, years ago Crogan’s “was” ok…and a “night spot” for singles, etc. Fast forward..it’s become a huge LIABILITY. It is a magnet for, shall I say, “outsiders -not locals”…who bring their poor manners and ungentlemanly conduct to a hoity-toity town.

Open up a craft beer or wine place, which closes at 10pm.

joebob January 15, 2017 at 2:44 PM

I worked downtown years ago, and even back then, 20 years ago, there were constant fights, drunks, vandalism, etc, coming from Crogans. I had a buddy who bounced there and he even got fed up with the constant nonsense and quit. They should have gotten their act together long ago.

Lake January 15, 2017 at 2:46 PM

Perhaps a Crogan’s Medical marijuana dispensaries in Walnut Creek, CA

The BART Experience January 15, 2017 at 2:55 PM

Used to be good when it was a populae restaurant. Homeless have already invaded W.C. via BART station.

Joe shmo January 15, 2017 at 3:09 PM

It is sad to see people post about Croghans as if it was such a bad place, it’s not the bar that caused the issues. It was the people who came there. They don’t care about what they do, If its not this specific bar the choose to go to and fight and be belligerent in public, it will be another. Instead of focusing your efforts on getting a bar to close down. You should focus your efforts on helping people realize how to act in public, teaching ur kids to not be jerks when they are drunk and so on. It’s poor human choices that caused all these terrible things to happen in wc. Not this bar or any other. It’s a sad world out there.

Huge January 15, 2017 at 3:11 PM

Sorry to see Crogans go.

AJM January 15, 2017 at 3:37 PM

A lot of happy memories some 30 yrs ago. It’s the people who frequent Crogans now, not the bar/restaurant we should blame.

TIFOKCIS January 15, 2017 at 3:39 PM

Good to hear violent gun toting thugs from “out of town” is not Walnut Creek’s narrative.

If ‘they’ don’t wreck the place on the way in, ‘they’ wreck it on the way out.

‘They’ should stay on ‘their side’ of the tunnel.

Roid Rage January 15, 2017 at 3:43 PM

Late 70’s early 80’s it had a very nice local business crowd for lunch happy hour and dinner, I can walk to Crogans and downtown WC but never go anymore, Lafayette/Pleasant Hill has some nice places to go and still has that small town feeling.

LA January 15, 2017 at 3:48 PM

The owners hadn’t put a dime in Crogan’s in years, you do that to any place and it will get seedy and run down looking. The last time I was in there – 10 years ago – I was aghast at the condition of the place. At one time it had been a nice lunch and dinner spot – food was good – it had a good bar crowd too, but the crowd was pretty nice, and so were the surroundings. When they decided to shift over to being a college bar – and did away with the fine dining, combined with not putting a dime in the place for years – these things led to it’s demise. Not the City of WC, the crowd just got rougher and rougher, culminating in that murder that happened in front of the bar awhile back. In fact, I think it’s likely the owners were making bank on the place – they were putting any money back into it, obviously – but now they are closing because the retail space is so valuable and because labor prices are up. Yes, I would agree, good riddance it’s closing, I recall what a fine place it was in the 80’s.

Schmee January 15, 2017 at 3:51 PM

Small bar full of meat heads.

Marky Mark January 15, 2017 at 3:54 PM

Save Crogans!

Anon January 15, 2017 at 4:01 PM

Sad for me I took my girlfriend now my wife on dates to Crogan’s however that was 35 years ago. Sorry to hear that it changed over the years it use to be a great place to go for food, drinks and fun.

Last Call January 15, 2017 at 4:06 PM

Is there still time for BAR RESCUE?

Melanie January 15, 2017 at 4:08 PM

This is sad. I knew Wayne, Patsy, and the kids through Valle Verde and the Woodlands Swim Team. Jim and I wish the family well in whatever comes next in their lives!

Claycordian January 15, 2017 at 4:36 PM

Next up: 1515?

Melanie January 15, 2017 at 5:04 PM

This Melanie doesn’t know the family, and I say good riddance to this place that should’ve been shut down a few years ago.

Beacon January 15, 2017 at 5:09 PM

Never been. Sounds like the bar in the movie Roadhouse…but not as nice.

GRX January 15, 2017 at 5:31 PM

I heard somebody got shot – again. And that’s the actual reason why they are closing.

What is the word on that?

amber stefani January 15, 2017 at 5:38 PM

I’m going miss this! Had always fun! Good memories.

Rocco January 15, 2017 at 5:42 PM

Not sure what the City of Walnut Creek is trying to accomplish by closing Crogans. …whatever riff-raff that supposedly eminated from Crogans will continue to float around WC….What will the City do then? My message to City of WC….be careful what you wish for….

Debbie January 15, 2017 at 5:51 PM

Dang you Walnut Creek snobs in government. I moved to Walnut Creek in 1984 from SF. I was beyond happy to have a town bar you can kick back have a beer and not have to dress up. This is a Hugh disappointment! We moved out of Walnut Creek because it was becoming little SF. Sham on you city council, Mayor and the rest of the money is everything government

Victor mature January 15, 2017 at 6:10 PM

Tear it down put in more apartments.

ANON January 15, 2017 at 6:12 PM

No tax money from the business anymore
people out of work
Courts not sending drunk/bad people to jail for a long time
city who could care less
seems right to me……

dinkydau January 15, 2017 at 6:15 PM

Another Italian or Thai restaurant in its place or teen clothing store in its place. Or a terrible burger place like the one on the corner of Newall nd S. Main.

Debbie is a Noob January 15, 2017 at 6:34 PM

Ha Deb, took the bait.

About the time you came to WC I was going there. No other place in WC had a dress code. Hardly now. It’s only your conscience bugging you.

Crogan’s was kind of a mess for the last 20+ years but now WC can sit on 2 prime spots (old Chili’s the other) with nothing in the works.

Oh well. Maybe some of the late night hookers on Locust will leave. – Eh, prob not.

Just a thought January 15, 2017 at 6:54 PM

@Rocco The city didn’t close down Crogan’s – it cut back their hours because Patsy had no idea how to control the out of town thugs who were packing at 2:00 a.m. The majority of downtown calls to PD were Crogan’s-related. There was a man shot/killed for God’s sake. That ever happen at your place? Perhaps the thugs will just move to Dan’s, but MAYBE they won’t come to WC anymore – they won’t be coming to Reduxx. You better hope they don’t get a hankering for pizza. It all comes down to the establishment operator – Patsy failed big time – I wouldn’t blame the City.

OIF_Veteran January 15, 2017 at 7:27 PM

Crogan’s is a crapphole that brought more problems than benefits to WC.
GOOD RIDDANCE AND DON’T LET THE DOOR HIT YOU ON THE WAY OUT!

Mailma January 15, 2017 at 7:40 PM

“Outside influence?” I didn’t realize WC was in a bubble. Sorry to see any business close.

Well Folks January 15, 2017 at 7:50 PM

Place was great when Wayne Wilkinson ran it but after that…….not too good. Still sad to see a local business close. Probably bring in some crappy chain as that seems to be the way things go around here

No One Knows the Truth January 15, 2017 at 7:55 PM

I love seeing all the haters, stuck up WC elite and people that Crogans probably kicked out for being drunk complaining and celebrating the end of a small business that’s been around for 39yrs, the lose of 20plus jobs and people’s ability to support their families, and now another downtown building that will be vacant just like where Chili’s was because they’re owned by the same landlord. Oh and don’t over estimate the trickle down affect of Crogans’s closing, next will be Mr. Lucky’s, than will come Dan’s and last will be Tiki Toms until their are no more small business bars or restaurants in WC. All you’ll have are chain restaurants that offer the same frozen crap that they charge you $20 to $30 a plate and charge you $6 for a beer and $12 for a well drink, but hey screw the little guy, screw those people that are headed to the unemployment line, all in the name of monopolizing downtown Walnut Creek for Big Business. I hope the people on here that are hating never face a moment in life where they own a business and get forced out because they don’t fit the mold anymore, never have the news report misleading info at the request of a town council (where’s the reports on the shooting inside 1515 a month before the shooting outside Chili’s that was a Redux patron after the investigation but was blamed on Crogan’s still… strange how Redux has been closed since Nov but no one is reporting on way), never have false reports sent to ABC with multiple clerical errors that are held against them or have to face employees that depend on their business to support their lives and put food on their family’s table, but go ahead and continue to perpetuate the hate cause that just what this world needs more of. SMH

RetailSlave January 15, 2017 at 8:15 PM

I loved Crogans so much in my 20’s!! Great memories there, and I’m sad to see it close. I met a couple of my ex’s there lol it was fun to do a pub crawl from Dan’s, to Mr Lucky’s, to Crogan’s, and O’Kearnys… good times back in my wilder days.

I guess Walnut Creek is to snobby now for all that. I avoid W.C. at all costs, too much traffic now with all the high end shops shoved in there.

Willis January 15, 2017 at 8:21 PM

I think we all know why its being closed down, and its due to some of the clientele whose culture does to mesh with WC. I’m ok with that actually. I miss the days of live music at Abernathy’s, and WC with no shootings and thug life culture.

Abby January 15, 2017 at 8:23 PM

I haven’t been there in years! But I’m saddened and heartbroken anytime a small family business closes it’s doors. So many morans on here lack empathy!

GRX January 15, 2017 at 9:47 PM

Maybe a nail shop will take over the building.

Jojo Potato January 15, 2017 at 9:53 PM

I still miss the Pink Gable.

Have inner knowledge January 15, 2017 at 9:53 PM

No one knows the truth person above is spot on. Unless you know Patsy or have inner knowledge of the business’s financial issues, you can just zip it. The fact is that the city has been after Crogan’s for years because of the crowd it attracts and the truth has been twisted in the media. Combine that with a very unforgiving landlord and this was only inevitable (why do you think prime real estate like the old Chili’s still sits empty). These are real people whose lives are now ruined. You should be thinking of them and feeling bad for the demise of another small family business.

The other “dive” bars should be scared…they are next.

Tim January 15, 2017 at 9:54 PM

Sorry to see this. WC is FOS. Patsy kept this going after Wayne’s untimely death. She is a WC resident! A local business. I grew up here in the 60’s and 70’s and still live in the area. In the 70’s it was still a small town. We cruised the main from Gemco to Parker Robb Chevy the biggest building was the bank building across from Kaiser (now condos). It had a peace sign on the top of it to protest Vietnam war. Fred Kellaways hardware store (now Masseis) was the Home Depot of the area, and Fred was there! I wonder if Massei’s gets the same treatment, though it likely will as Chik-Fil-a is now across the street. Dan’s has been there for er, in different iterations. Remember the “kat patch”? That was an institution as well as the El Rey.theater. (X rated at the end). WC has had fight over growth, but it is horrible the way the city is now. American Graffitti town versus yuppie, now millennial town. Stack and pack zombies following big brother. Heather Farms was really heather pond, where we caught craw dads with bacon on a string. Country wood are was really Walnut Orchards and we built tree houses there. John Muir was a small hospital original building was cool as it had a helipad on top. The pizza parlor by Alpha Beta played silent movies that was the big deal. Charlie Chaplin and Charlie Chase. And don’t forget old Lupoi’s market. ON Ygnacio by the railroad tracks (iron horse trail). Old man Lupoi was so blind he would sell beer to a 10 year old. LOL.
Kellogg’s diner (great breakfast, and not corn flakes!). Even had an A&W on ygnacio and Civic.
Rhett-White Ford. (Where my 69 Mach 1 was sold). Springs and Bertino body shop (where my 67 galaxie was repaired).
And Peking restaurant on N Main… Drank too much wine there at 16, yes, 16.
Walnut Creek has changed and not for the better!

Another one bites the dust! January 15, 2017 at 10:26 PM

So Crogan’s is closing. It’s been a long time coming, and this isn’t because the city ran them off nor did ABC. The bar/restaurant chose to let in a crowd that is going to cause problems. Here’s a simple general rule, if you have a code of conduct of both dress and attitude, you maintain it, and you will limit your liability and issues. The bar chose to take the money and didn’t care about the clientele they serve. If you woudn’t want them at your house party, you probably don’t want them in your establishment.

As a business owner, you have a responsibility to your patrons, and if you can’t control your patrons, you don’t have the right staff or policies and procedures in place.

anona January 15, 2017 at 10:27 PM

Had fun meeting friends there in the 70s and
80s. It was a bright, delightful, friendly place,
and a welcome addition to town. Too bad the
trouble makers can’t be weeded out or refused
service. Bars especially used to always have
a sign which read, “We reserve the right to
refuse service to anyone.” And, you can clearly
understand why that would be necessary.

Commenter January 15, 2017 at 10:33 PM

I much preferred WC back in the 90’s before it tried to go as bland chain business upscale as it is now. Having said that I only went into Crogans a few times even then. It always seemed like some bad decisions were just waiting to be made by the patrons. Even in my early 20’s I learned to trust my “bad stuff has potential to begin here at any moment” radar. I do feel bad for the current generation of teens/twentysomethings……the downtown WC of the 90’s had way more character then today’s. I avoid it like the plague now.

Khloe January 15, 2017 at 10:50 PM

Sad, another small business owner shut down. Crogan’s was really fun when I was younger. They staff were always friendly. I would think local business owners would support one another rather than speak ill of their neighbors. No loyalty these days or having one another’s back.
People keep referring g to the elephant In the room but no one is addressing the issue at hand. This is just the beginning. The “thugs” are going to keep coming through that tunnel like refuges waiting at our border. Damned if you do and damned if you don’t.

Silva January 15, 2017 at 10:51 PM

Jojo Potato, hahaha!

Reiser January 15, 2017 at 11:03 PM

ruined it when it turned into a seedy sports pub.
It was a really great Restaurant and bar before that and I have fond memories of Wayne always being kind and a great host and the best burger in town.. I have not stepped foot in there for 20 years because of all the punks and underage drinking and no good food.
I will miss the old memory, but not the place it is now. Best thigk the Police ever did was abolish this place!

Stephanie January 15, 2017 at 11:05 PM

The original owner Wayne Wilkinson would have krapped his knickers had he seen what kind of joke this place turned into at his wife’s own hand. It used to be a classy restaurant with good food and all of that vintage political decor like Perry’s in SF, very fun. The last remnants are in Piedmont but the food there is a disappointment. 🙁 This is the best thing that ever happened to Walnut Creek.

Native January 15, 2017 at 11:05 PM

@Tim Thanks for the trip down memory lane. Probably ran into you at Birdie’s Toy Store. Don’t recall anyone getting shot and killed at Tiny’s Hut, Hokie’s, Mel’s, Kitty Milk Bar or the Brittany Inn. Sure Walnut Creek has changed, just like every other community. Those of us who still remain however should not have to put up with out of town thugs who come here and start trouble just because they think they can get away with it. If Crogan’s (Patsy) isn’t willing to put its foot down after YEARS of warnings, then the City SHOULD step in. I don’t care if you’re Bob Shroder, Mr. Newell, or Hiram Penniman, just because you are a Walnut Creek native doesn’t give you the right to run a business to the detriment of its citizens.

Danielle C January 16, 2017 at 12:04 AM

I grew up with Crogan’s since I was a tiny girl. Loved them then, loved them now. It’s a landmark for me and although I no longer choose to drink, I will be sad to see it go. It has always been a friendly place for me and it will be missed. To the stuffy Walnut Creek people…..have fun with your stream of struggling businesses and restaurants that won’t survive longer than a few years at a time there. Lame.

keeping it real January 16, 2017 at 12:19 AM

Good times in that bar back in the 8@

Starman January 16, 2017 at 12:34 AM

Failed at being a good business model. They lost control of there clientele. Crappie security. This is why they are closing. The unsafe environment. Needed to reinvent its self. Without change most things fail.

Pissed Off January 16, 2017 at 2:15 AM

“Unfortunately, the city has made it clear that they have very specific ideas in mind for what Walnut Creek should be and Crogan’s no longer fits into their narrative. Ultimately, we have been forced to close our doors.”

Forced is an understatement. I’m moving out of WC. This crap is out of control. They got McDonalds, the gas station has been fighting for its life for years and Crogan’s has been in the the crosshairs for a while now. The place has become too stuck up for its own good and it’s not as safe as it used to be-and Crogan’s sure as hell doesn’t have anything to do with most of that. I may just start paying random homeless guys to migrate to WC. The place has become a joke. Anyone in the market for a 1br apt? Everyone in the know has been well aware that the city has been after that whole block for a while. What’s happened to WC over the last 5 years is pathetic.

WC Native January 16, 2017 at 3:26 AM

How sad. A place that was just recently deemed a historical landmark by the Historical Society of Walnut Creek and now the city goes and shuts it down.

Well…. what do you expect with a city council that has no clue what they are doing with the city.

Crogans does have some faults to claim, but what i have seen and experienced over the past 3 years, the city has really harrassed this place and put a lot of unjust blame on the venue. I love going down to watch the Raiders, 49ers, A’s, Giants, Warriors and Sharks games there. Great people and the staff has always been kind. For the people that want to say the bar tenders are a**holes…. well…. try not being one to them first. Maybe you should have paid your tab instead of running out on it.

As for the shootings…. well…. the one that happened recently wasn’t even from a person in Crogans. It wasn’t even a person from any of the venues in Walnut Creek. Crogans got a lot of blame for stuff they were not at fault for.

Now i agree that the people coming to Crogans from the “other side of the hill” shouldn’t have been getting in. Crogans could have enfroced a “Strict” dress code. Unfortunately, the people they wouldn’t let in, would be the ones causing the problems for the city. It’s not Crogans fault.

Still…. very sad to see the longest running bar in Walnut Creek be shut down. I guess the city will build another boutique or coffee shop there. Like the city doesn’t have enough of those already. SMH

Maybe someday the Mayor will get their head straight. The Mayor needs to keep their mouth silent in public when talking to their little criminal/political friends. Overheard them talking about how they wanna close the bars and get rid of the nightlife. May they should see how much commerce a nightlife brings to a city. Neeman Marcus ain’t bringing anything. That was a joke to bring them in.

Oh well, it is what it is. I’ll be there to celebrate one last time with them. Just ashame that they are being forced to close by people who don’t have a clue.

Alamo January 16, 2017 at 5:37 AM

Maybe they can make it more homeless friendly than they already have and turn it into a homeless shelter.

Dean January 16, 2017 at 7:05 AM

All you have to do is Yelp the place and you’ll know why it’s being listed. Good Ridance.

Aspirin January 16, 2017 at 8:01 AM

A nuisance nullified.

ConcordMike January 16, 2017 at 9:28 AM

I pay for the homeless from Concord to go to Walnut Creek. Take them right to the Train and watch them get on. Mostly to San Francisco though. It’s been working so far.

Cynic January 16, 2017 at 9:39 AM

Liberal ownership that embraces big government, diversity and social justice…just ask them who they vote for. Ironic that they were undermined by their own misguided ideals.

JamesA January 16, 2017 at 9:44 AM

I remember way back now we’re talking the early to mid 80’s
Crogan’s was an upscale nice restaurant that happened to have a bar
back then the emphasis was on the restaurant. A few years ago I poked my head in and it was now a bar very shabby kind of hardcore bar just stools basic who cares if the floor gets trashed kind of place.
I don’t think WC wants that clientele who drinks until they puke
Screaming WOOO! WOOOO PAAAARTY! Staggering around on the sidewalks.

Pugilist January 16, 2017 at 10:09 AM

That would be awesome if a fight broke out on sunday.

Alamo January 16, 2017 at 10:35 AM

This shouldn’t be a surprise due to the recent shooting. It was inevitable. Other establishments around downtown WC that serve alcohol should be similarly on notice that their patrons may affect their viability. The only people legally allowed to puke and pee on the sidewalks will be the homeless.

Brenda January 16, 2017 at 11:11 AM

My dad grew up in WC. He said Crogan’s was a mortuary BF it became a bar. They prepared the stiffs in the basement. Ponder on THAT if you go to get one last drink.

DLSmith January 16, 2017 at 11:27 AM

I haven’t been here in 10 years, but I have fond memories of walking past. Crogans to get to Mike Q’s club…

Anana January 16, 2017 at 12:16 PM

I agree with Jill #10 and Stephanie #64.

Crogan’s used to be a lovely place – when it had white tablecloths, Barclay Simpson posters and one of the first veggie burgers. I lamented its loss long ago.

bob January 16, 2017 at 12:28 PM

Stop the free bus service from BART in WC & people from Pittsburgh & Antioch will cause problems in their own area

Lola January 17, 2017 at 6:56 AM

This place has been going down hill for 20 years I use to go there in my twenty’s and had fun but back then it was getting bad with fights and obnoxious people its not surprising its finally closing I feel sorry for the younger people today not many classy places left in downtown walnut creek today and the comments of Antioch people and Pittsburgh people coming in to cause problems don’t worry its just not them there also classless people right in your own back yard!

Dr. Jellyfinger January 17, 2017 at 8:45 AM

I miss the old Abernathy’s that was a couple doors down the street from Crogan’s. That place was fun in the 80’s… good music, nice people, drink prices were reasonable… lotsa frisky women.

Marissa January 17, 2017 at 8:56 AM

I knew a girl who got hit in the eye with a highball glass at this place because she tried to stop some drunk off her ass chick from swinging her friend. She’s lucky that she didn’t lose that eye.

I also used to moonlight as the minutes clerk for the planning commission in 2008-2009 and Crogan’s was a problem even back then. The City and the ABC have been far too patient for too long in my opinion. WCPD, in a special planning meeting with bar owners, recounted a story when so many officers were dealing with a brawl outside this bar that they didn’t have enough manpower to send an officer to a call about a home invasion in progress off Ygnacio Valley. Total drain on resources.

I was born and raised in this area and can say while the owners are very nice people, this bar has become a pestilence on its community over the last two decades. Enough is enough. If you’re going to own a bar, you need to invest in it and have a “take no bullcrap” policy when dealing with the bros of Walnut Creek. Don’t blame the City for turning a blind eye to what is going on and profiting from such an ugly culture of drinking and violence.

And for those saying this is because of “outsiders” ruining the bar, you need to wake up and realize that it’s always been the entitled townies and local college kids that have turned Walnut Creek into an alcoholic nightmare and made these places attractive to trouble starters. You can’t blame all your problems on Pittsburg and Antioch.

Dub-C January 17, 2017 at 9:26 PM

Good riddance – too many d-bag white dudes on coke!

John Cougar January 17, 2017 at 9:37 PM

This is serious business!

Miguel January 17, 2017 at 11:03 PM

Been there a few times. It was always so packed and insanely loud. Great spot if you were into that. Lots of people were from out of town there (Pittsburgh, Baypoint seemed like the most common.)

The thing I really couldn’t stand about that place, was its prices weren’t good, the mixed drinks were comically under poured and the floors were just heinous. My boots would stick to the floor worse than a crappy movie theater. I always found that to be pretty disgusting. I understand floors get dirty, but they were on a whole other level of raunchy.

At the end of the day, it is sad a local small business is closing, but putting all biased opinions aside, most people who have been there could tell you it attracted quite a bit of people who genuinely wanted to start a fight or were just flat out looking for trouble.

Dirk Mcgerk January 19, 2017 at 5:52 PM

So glad this place is closing. Patsy is the worst bar owner on the planet! A patron of Crogan’s was murdered across the street and they say they had nothing to do with it? Give me a break. Just because the shooting didn’t happen inside doesn’t mean it had nothing to do with you. She continued to operate in the same manner for years. She could have changed it but chose not to. She could’ve hired better security, but she didn’t. She could’ve brought in a new manager but she didn’t. Redux was at the same meeting when they changed Crogan’s hours. The difference was they took blame for their actions and are making the necessary steps to get their “deemed approved status” reinstated. Patsy could’ve worked with them and earned the right to stay open till 2:00 back, but she didn’t. So don’t complain to me about the employees being out of a job. You’re out of a job because of her. And if you had done a better job bartending, managing, doing security, etc. maybe it wouldn’t have gotten so bad and you’d still have a job! Patsy is and always has been a ditsy snake in the grass and she is now getting exactly what she deserves. Don’t worry though she’s surely a millionaire by now. She’s been screwing the IRS for years! …oops did I say that out loud?

See ya Crogans, don’t let the door hit you on the way out!!!!
HA HA HA HA HA!