Vehicle Hits, Kills Beaver on Mohr Lane Near Monument Blvd. in Concord

January 11, 2017 10:00 am · 22 comments

A beaver was struck and killed by a vehicle on Mohr Lane near Monument Blvd. in Concord on Tuesday night.

The driver tried to contact the Lindsay Museum and Fish and wildlife but no help was available, according to Heidi Perryman, President & Founder ‘Worth A Dam‘, a group dedicated to the World Famous Martinez Beavers.

‘Worth A Dam’s’ Vice-President of wildlife Cheryl Reynolds visited the scene and found the beaver, but unfortunately, it was dead.

Perryman says the beaver was likely a juvenile who was flooded out of his home, and was able to get out of the water when it crested, Perryman said.

1 Heidi Perryman January 11, 2017 at 10:21 AM

Thanks for reporting this, I bet Concord is surprised to see it has at least one beaver. But it’s not ours. Flooding can be hard on a wildlife, but traffic is harder.

2 The Future January 11, 2017 at 10:55 AM

Is Concord getting some beaver from Martinez? I guess Mohr is now less beaver.

3 Wally Cleaver January 11, 2017 at 10:57 AM

Oh no, not the Beave!

4 jtkatec January 11, 2017 at 11:25 AM

Dam!!

5 Silva January 11, 2017 at 11:58 AM

Poor fella. Or gal.

6 94521 January 11, 2017 at 12:08 PM

Wally, the Beaver is Dead !!

7 Pleasant Hiller January 11, 2017 at 12:34 PM

Aww, poor little guy. I had no idea there were beavers in that area.

8 Dogamatic January 11, 2017 at 1:40 PM

This is just about the most depressing thing I’ve
ever heard. Poor innocent little creature.

9 Chester E. Kitty January 11, 2017 at 2:49 PM

Poor thing! Didn’t know we had beavers in the area. Hope it didn’t suffer.

10 TIFOKCIS January 11, 2017 at 3:31 PM

Not much turns my stomach, but a innocent creature traumatized by the events it cannot understand and then killed just made it happen.

Horrible

11 Is This Thing On? January 11, 2017 at 4:44 PM

I thought I saw a beaver dam on Walnut Creek between Monument and Willow Pass, upstream of the concrete drop structure. Anyone else see it from the Iron Horse this past fall? I’m guessing it’s gone with the high water.

12 Mark Trail January 11, 2017 at 6:00 PM

There otter be a Law to prevent this.

13 Jojo Potato January 11, 2017 at 6:18 PM

@Is this… I guess you don’t remember this post of mine:

“Jojo Potato September 27, 2016 at 11:51 AM

Riding along the Iron Horse trail this morning where it follows along the creek north of Monument, saw a really beautiful beaver dam across the stream. Overflow was cleverly directed around the east end and the dam solidly built with sticks and mud across the main channel. There is life in Concord! Great to see. “

14 Jojo Potato January 11, 2017 at 6:19 PM

From the Whatever thread.

15 mrs. cleaver January 11, 2017 at 7:12 PM

my poor boy ,will never know how good my stove top stuffing really is

rip beave

16 Linda P January 11, 2017 at 7:36 PM

So sad that he didn’t make it. May have just got turned around from the storm.

17 Is This Thing On? January 11, 2017 at 7:37 PM

Jojo: gotta admit I don’t read every post. Maybe they’ll be back this spring.

18 Jojo Potato January 11, 2017 at 8:18 PM

@Is : You’re forgiven. Hopefully the rest of the family found somewhere to hide from the flood. I expect beaver instinct must kick in since they live in streams. But that probably didn’t help when dealing with traffic. He probably climbed out of the creek north of monument where there’s no concrete walls and didn’t know what to do after that. We’ll be on the look out in the spring.

19 Dr. Jellyfinger January 12, 2017 at 1:29 AM

Geez! How slow does your reaction time have to be to be unable to avoid running over a beaver on land? I mean, in the water they cruise right along, but on land the best they can do is a tubby waddle. Driver had to be drunk or blind.

20 Heidi Perryman January 12, 2017 at 5:48 AM

Apparently this was one of two beavers injured. It turns out the other WAS brought to Lindsay, Cheryl Reynolds Unfortunately I found out this was only one of two beavers that were on Mohr Lane! Animal Services brought one to Lindsay Wildlife Experience after 5pm, that was most likely the one that we were contacted about. Sadly it didn’t make it either, due to a severely broken jaw and injuries. Thanks LWE for caring for the injured beaver.. Joe we might be talking about your monument beavers. Maybe you could write us with details?

21 J. January 12, 2017 at 12:36 PM

I saw a beaver at 2 a.m. in Mill Valley walking, across the street from the Lark Theater, near Redwood High School.

This nude, young lady, with only an ill fitting unzipped coat to protect her from the 34 degree temps, was about 5′-5″, 140 pounds, and she was, from the little I could see in the frosty moonlight, a brunette.

22 TT January 14, 2017 at 5:23 PM

Two days ago I noticed that there was a beaver dead on the side of Willow Pass Road in Pittsburg. I did see that it was still on side of road yesterday on my way home from work.