The Water Cooler – Loud Noises That You Can’t Stand

January 11, 2017 12:00 pm · 51 comments

The “Water Cooler” will be up Monday-Friday at noon.

Today’s question:

What are some loud noises that you just can’t stand? Example: Dogs barking, leaf blowers, music, thunder, etc.

Talk about it….

1 SF oh January 11, 2017 at 12:07 PM

Screaming children in stores and restaurants. I don’t know why parents won’t take them outside or, at least, reprimand them. The parents just walk around in a daze, completely oblivious to the fact that their little darlings are annoying the hell out of everyone else.

2 Ellen Fan January 11, 2017 at 12:13 PM

I have misophonia, so I can’t stand a lot of noises, but 2 of the loud ones are car alarms that go off forever and cars that blast music so loud the whole city can hear it.

3 Simonpure January 11, 2017 at 12:22 PM

Too much bass in cars that rattle the entire thing. Oh yeah…and my boss.

4 Polarbearmarket January 11, 2017 at 12:25 PM

Gas leaf blowers
Hair dryers
Honking horns
Traffic when walking

5 Spark Baldman January 11, 2017 at 12:37 PM

Kids squeaking their shoes on a gym floor when its wet outside. Yes its been a long last 3 days!

6 Oh Yeah January 11, 2017 at 12:42 PM

I agree about the loud music from cars driving by or at the stoplight, but what really annoys me is work colleagues that have such INCREDIBLY LOUD VOICES

7 Rob January 11, 2017 at 12:45 PM

Rooster’s next door…
I had a neighbor in Concord who literally had roosters his backyard, his backyard was alongside my house.
The damn roosters would make one hell of a racket all day…
I spoke with the neighbor and he wasn’t interested in doing anything…
When I called the City they told me that there was nothing they would do since roosters a legal and they make noise… yes, seriously and when i looked at the city’s regulations yes, there was no law against it and nothing they could legally do – and there was no noise ordinance for it…
Eventually got sorted out when my wife, spoke with his wife and turns out it was driving his wife crazy also since she was home all day…
I guess he finally got the point and got rid of the roosters…

8 Patty January 11, 2017 at 12:58 PM

Fire Truck horns. I don’t mind the sirens, but when they blast the horn going through intersections I jump out of my skin.

9 Jack Sprat January 11, 2017 at 12:59 PM

That damn 1-877 Kars for Kids commercial. It’s all loud noises to me.

10 Frog Lips January 11, 2017 at 1:01 PM

M o t o r c y c l e s !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! they do it on purpose and it is obnoxious nothing but noise pollution

11 chewing an apple January 11, 2017 at 1:01 PM

all of the above except I haven’t experienced a neighbor who has a rooster. 🙂
and it’s not incredibly loud – but I find my husband chewing an apple very annoying… lol

12 Person January 11, 2017 at 1:04 PM

My new next door neighbors let their dogs bark all day and do nothing to stop them. I used to love spendng time in my veggie garden, but my presence near the fence alerts their dogs and they will stay for hours barking at me! Yes my neighbors are HOME, they just don’t give a crap.

13 Brandon January 11, 2017 at 1:10 PM

I hate the sound of a chair being pushed over tile.

14 WCRes January 11, 2017 at 1:12 PM

Me, too @ Ellen Fan.

15 *Covers Ears* January 11, 2017 at 1:17 PM

My seven year old son.

16 MikeT January 11, 2017 at 1:19 PM

I’m with # 10, Jacki Sprat, that commerical drives me nuts

17 Spark Baldman January 11, 2017 at 1:19 PM

@#12 I hear you on the apple thing. I had a guy sit next to me in a class when I was in college. He would not only make that gross chewing noise but he would also burp afterward. It was the most disgusting BS ever

18 Dumpster Fire January 11, 2017 at 1:37 PM

Banging of Dumpsters on trash day

19 Simonpure January 11, 2017 at 1:38 PM

@ Person #13 People like that should not have animals. I have a neighbor that does the same thing. Their dogs get zero loving 100% of the time. Why have them right?

20 ROUS January 11, 2017 at 1:49 PM

Anyone eating carrots and all Kardasians

21 mom January 11, 2017 at 1:53 PM

My adult neighbors screaming at each other; then screaming at the kids / grandkids to stop screaming and listen to the adults. One generation has taught the next.

22 Bishop Estates January 11, 2017 at 2:03 PM

Yeah…my neighbors leaf blower on a Sunday at 8am.

23 Melanie January 11, 2017 at 2:13 PM

Jack hammers and leaf blowers.

24 Harleys January 11, 2017 at 2:39 PM

So damn obnoxious.

25 mutts January 11, 2017 at 2:42 PM

Rap, hip hop, heavy metal, most TV commercials.

26 FCA January 11, 2017 at 3:00 PM

Mexican music!!!

27 Oww, My Ears!! January 11, 2017 at 3:06 PM

BART trains in the transbay tube.

28 SpankyFortuna January 11, 2017 at 3:24 PM

The exploding transformer in our neighborhood last night. Power came back on at 3:00PM.

29 Frog Lips January 11, 2017 at 3:29 PM

@ Person – yep barking neighbor’s dogs – the worst!!!

30 BigBilly January 11, 2017 at 3:30 PM

Loud Harleys and other motorcycles. They are one of the top problems of the area. Please, get a muffler. They are skull-rattling.

31 TIFOKCIS January 11, 2017 at 3:34 PM

A-wholes and their cRAP bass pounding.

32 Vandy January 11, 2017 at 3:39 PM

A loud mouth. Its true. Ask anyone. Its the loudest mouth.

33 Anon January 11, 2017 at 3:39 PM

My neighbor’s truck. It’s so big it literally makes my house shake every time he drives past.

I’m really not kidding.

34 Coolio January 11, 2017 at 3:44 PM

Eye Heart My LEAF BLOWER!!!

35 Maybe January 11, 2017 at 4:24 PM

The “hey look at me because I’m cool” inbesul harley riders that think it’s really neat to wake everyone up they possibly can at 2:00am.

36 Tim January 11, 2017 at 4:39 PM

Motorcycles!

Riders get off when they pull up next to you and rev up to make as much noise as possible.

Police wont cite them because their chicken. Their is a maximum level of noise they can put out and many clearly exceed this.
At least there is some justice, they will suffer hearing loss later in life.

37 Bon Scott January 11, 2017 at 5:06 PM

Rap! All forms of it.

38 Lari January 11, 2017 at 5:07 PM

The high-pitched screeching of BART trains when they go through tunnels; or a particularly LOUD conductor on BART who loves to scream, “DOORS ARE CLOSING” or other commands that do not need to be hollered out. Solution for me has been noise-cancelling headphones with my music turned up.

39 Aspirin January 11, 2017 at 6:46 PM

Motorcycles with exhaust systems modified to make more noise. It is illegal to do this and they should be ticketed.

40 foonman January 11, 2017 at 7:15 PM

Music so loud in a restaurant that you cant hear yourself think or carry on a conversation. Some people may come in for the food…….it should not be for pleasure of the employees…….

41 anon January 11, 2017 at 7:16 PM

My neighbors pressure washer that he uses every evening cleaning all his junk cars in his backyard. Code enforcement says it’s OK to wash off all the grease and other toxic fluids. The other neighbors and myself can’t enjoy our backyards anymore because of the meth using tweeker.

42 Fiddle Sticks January 11, 2017 at 7:22 PM

Loud music
Leaf blowers
People in public, talking on their cell phones
Motor cycles
People chewing gum
People chewing anything

43 BetterHairToday January 11, 2017 at 7:31 PM

Co=Workers talking very loudly about there personal lives in such a fashion everyone else has to stop talking since there to converse over it. “Oh, I went to the bar and met this man”. I guess you can take the girl out of the bar but you cant take the bar talk out of the girl.

44 ja January 11, 2017 at 8:10 PM

Rob @ 7 Roosters are NOT legal in Concord.

“Effective August 7, 2014 no Concord resident may keep roosters hatched or acquired after this date. Roosters hatched or acquired prior to August 7,
2014 must be removed from Concord no later than August 7, 2015. ”

45 Atticus Thraxx January 11, 2017 at 8:18 PM

Farts.

46 Atticus Thraxx January 11, 2017 at 8:22 PM

They take my rooster when they can pry it from my….hey wait a minute, this is a family blog. Bad Atticus.

47 Antler January 11, 2017 at 10:33 PM

Fireworks in neighborhood.

48 Calendar Girl January 12, 2017 at 7:41 AM

The fire alarm at my school. It kills my ears and I can only imagine how the kids feel.

49 HappyWife January 12, 2017 at 11:57 AM

Well I’m one of those people who RECOILS at the sound of someone else’s chewing. Drives me nuts totally and completely. I’ve learned to manage it over the years, but damn.

And then there’s Karaoke. Can’t spend more than a minute in a Karaoke bar.

Loud noises mentioned I don’t mind so much.. and I love the roar of a pack of motorcycles.

Of course there’s my husband bitchin’ at me.. can’t stand that, but then I think that’s for another forum. Stay dry everyone!

50 Onion Pacific January 13, 2017 at 7:45 PM

Train Horns. Total BS and even more BS is that the federal railroad administration decided that All trains Must blow their horn Four times per crossing….not 2 times or 3 times. 4 times. Such BS and of course the passive aggressive railroad employees take pride in laying on the horns at 2:30AM….All in the name of “safety” ….of course 🙁

51 jjshawk January 14, 2017 at 12:54 AM

And still, stupid people manage to get hit by trains all the time, even though they can be seen, heard, and felt (no pun intended) at the same time on approach. Compulsive gamblers I tell you!