ALERT: Possible Mountain Lion Spotted Near Downtown Clayton

September 26, 2016 10:19 am · 28 comments

A mountain lion was spotted near downtown Clayton, according to a concerned citizen.

Here’s the message we received this morning:

“Good Morning. I was just warned by a construction worker on Chardonnay Circle, Clayton that he just saw a mountain lion cross the Cardinet Trail and walk down into the creek headed towards the City of Clayton and Ed’s Mudville Grill. You may want to put a warning out to the locals. There are a lot of walkers/dogs out right now due to this expected heat wave.”

Thanks for the warning.

Bruce September 26, 2016 at 10:26 AM

I guarantee it is not a mountain lion!

Taxpayer September 26, 2016 at 10:35 AM

Cougar

The truth September 26, 2016 at 10:37 AM

Get your panties out of a knot!

Guarantee it’s a bobcat!

wtf September 26, 2016 at 10:37 AM

I’m sure it was a bobcat

FlyingSpaghettiMonster September 26, 2016 at 10:44 AM

I turned on my outdoors light a few months ago, and thought I saw a mountain lion in the back yard. After a few moments, I realized it was the neighbor’s enormous orange tabby cat.

Laid back Larry September 26, 2016 at 10:47 AM

It’ll on the menu for lunch. Catburger Delux. Freshly ground Bobcat meat with all the trimmings. $6.

I see bobcats in the creek area regularly September 26, 2016 at 10:48 AM

I see multiple bobcats in the creek area regularly, and people often mistake them for mountain lions. Some of them have longer tails than one might expect. But a mountain lion’s tail is VERY long, and mountain lions are all one color, with rounded ears. Bob cats have more pointed ears, with longer tufts of hair at the tips, and also have some dark spots and light areas – varied coloring – in their coat. It is possible a mountain lion could be there, but most likely it was a large bobcat, as there is a pretty good population of them that hang out in the creek area.

a very slight possibility September 26, 2016 at 11:05 AM

I have been specifically looking for mountain lions in the creek area at dawn or dusk several times a week for 15 years. During that time, I have probably seen bobcats about 10 times each year, and I’ve seen a mountain lion 1 time in the 15 years.

It is unlikely one would be wandering around in broad daylight. They are nocturnal, and very rarely sighted. Most likely, one would not be seen other than at dawn or dusk or in the dark. Most likely, it was a large bobcat. There are some pretty large, well-fed bobcats living in the creek area. The bobcats are harmless to humans and shy away when they see a human approaching.

Think McFly September 26, 2016 at 11:20 AM

My 2 pit bulls are out running around, forget about that reported ML, the pits will be more likely to scare you.

XD September 26, 2016 at 11:34 AM

I will find it! Here kitty kitty kitty

Ddt September 26, 2016 at 12:56 PM

Both frequent the hills stay clear.

Concord Guy September 26, 2016 at 1:55 PM

I’ve had two personal encounters with mountain lions in the past. One was at about 2:30 in the afternoon and the other was during a summertime dusk.

Mountain lions do come out during the daytime.

TIFOKCIS September 26, 2016 at 2:16 PM

I see two legged animals running all over…………..what is the big flipping deal!

Silva September 26, 2016 at 2:18 PM

It was probably very thirsty.

Dennis September 26, 2016 at 2:58 PM

A cougar headed for MudVille or the Clayton Club? Any identifying scars, tats, or piercings?

oh no September 26, 2016 at 3:30 PM

That bobcat was just playing Pokemon Go. Leave em alone

Dr. Jellyfinger September 26, 2016 at 4:36 PM

Headed for the creek?
Then it can’t be a mountain lion… mountain lions don’t drink water…..
or do they?
Why the hell couldn’t it be a mountain lion?
Do mountain lions like Chicken Marsala?
That’s the Monday Night Special at Mudville I believe.
I’d go there and have some but not with a pair of bloodthirsty lions running around!
It’ll be just like that movie “The Ghost & The Darkness”
No Thanks!

Elwood September 26, 2016 at 4:53 PM

As others have pointed out, it was probably a bobcat.

But I hope it was big kitty. He/she does live on the mountain you know.

Monica September 26, 2016 at 6:22 PM

I swore I saw a mountain lion on my run last week. It was on Easly Dr. My husband said I was hallucinating…..I feel vindicated!

Joan Tyryfter September 26, 2016 at 6:29 PM

Hey guys. It is more likely to be a mountain lion than a. Bobcat. We have a local cat that has been enough seen and photographed for two years on the hills behind Regency Woods. I check my tall trees every morning I let the dogs out. It has been seen in Oakhurst last year near or on the golf course. Claycord posted some of these sightings..

Fritzhugh Ludlow. September 26, 2016 at 8:00 PM

@ #17 they do drink water! I saw one on San Pablo Dam Road sneaking into the reservoir hours before the scheduled opening time, while I was driving to Pt. San Pablo..It was during the drought of 1987

Tommy Smothers September 26, 2016 at 8:04 PM

“Ther’es Pumas in the Crevices!

Shasta Daisy September 26, 2016 at 8:44 PM

I’m a believer.
Be aware of your surroundings.

Peace.

Dr. Jellyfinger September 26, 2016 at 9:03 PM

Well…. if it was spotted, it’s a bobcat.
Mountain lions don’t have spots.

I’m getting this strange feeling of deja vu!

I’m getting this strange feeling of deja vu!

Dr. Jellyfinger September 26, 2016 at 9:25 PM

OK…did a little research…… (we just watched a Snagglepuss cartoon) & that was enough!
We all felt a chill run up our collective scaredy cat spines….. (I feel like Ripley on that Alien planet!).
Anyway…. it was decided we will be going on full Lion lock down at La Casa de Jelly Dedos.
Bonfires set around the perimeter, everyone has one rifle & one sidearm.
I used grease paint to make up my Death Face…
I am ready to meet my destiny.

TK September 26, 2016 at 10:07 PM

Puma cubs are born with spots but they they fade with age.

Shasta Daisy September 27, 2016 at 7:34 AM

Dr. Jellyfinger #25…My morning giggle, thanks.

crazy in concord September 28, 2016 at 10:45 PM

No Way……. Clayton P.D. with all their attentiveness, would have rounded any wild animals up and cited them for something…… then sent them to concord for jail time or rehab.