PHOTOS: Overturned Trailer on the Benicia Bridge Snarls Traffic on SB I-680

March 27, 2016 22:54 pm · 14 comments

sunset2

An overturned trailer on the Benicia Bridge snarled traffic during the Easter evening commute on southbound I-680 near Martinez.

No major injuries were reported, and the collision is under investigation.

On another note, did you all see the beautiful sunset tonight?

sunset

photo credit: Craig Cannon – for use only on Claycord.com

Don Gallup March 28, 2016 at 4:00 AM

How can I see the sunset with that bridge in the way?

Beacon March 28, 2016 at 7:47 AM

I wonder if high wind had anything to do with it. It’s a toy hauler and they are taller than a typical travel trailer.

john Pope March 28, 2016 at 7:56 AM

Sorry for the inconvenience, folks, but I hope it was that jackass I saw barrelling along at 70. The limit for trucks with trailers is 55, ace!

Anonymom March 28, 2016 at 8:33 AM

John pope it could have been a lot of things besides excess speed.

Teacher March 28, 2016 at 9:24 AM

So glad I got home before that happened. Hope everyone is ok.

jtkatec March 28, 2016 at 9:43 AM

john Pope makes a good point. I see lots of people towing camping trailers, atv trailers, etc which are moving at 70-75 mph, on hwy 80 and the Luther Gibson.

Blink March 28, 2016 at 10:12 AM

Maybe they were looking at the sunset

Jerk March 28, 2016 at 10:41 AM

It’s called Unsafe speed + high winds. Too bad people do not have common sense.
And as for Cal Trans: Really cute that you do not employ enough toll workers on Friday and Saturday before Easter causing traffic to back up to HIGHWAY 4!!!! RIDICULOUS and UNACCEPTABLE

Stupid Drivers March 28, 2016 at 12:30 PM

It was most likely an idiot trying to high tail it on the bridge. See these losers all the time with no regard for their own personal safety or others around them. There is a reason why you drive slower going across the bridge.

Guess this dude was trying to show off to his gf about how fast he could go and it ended up causing an accident and major issues for everyone.

thank you, retard.

Me March 28, 2016 at 12:35 PM

I was there a few seconds after it happened. And this little girl walked out of the truck by herself. She was walking between the trailer and the car. Another gentleman stopped too and started following the little girl(maybe 7 y/o). Then a lady got out of the truck and started yelling at the girl telling her to go back in. I wonder if the parents noticed the girl getting out of the truck. Because it wasn’t until the gentleman reacted that the lady(maybe mom) got out of the car to get herm.

Kirkwood March 28, 2016 at 1:30 PM

@ Jerk – Why don’t you get FasTrak?

Cowellian March 28, 2016 at 1:36 PM

Jerk, they should do away with the toll-takers entirely. But in the meantime, there ought to be fines and points on the driving records of those idiots who stop dead in the FasTrak lanes waiting for someone to let them back into the cash lanes.

Ian March 28, 2016 at 3:52 PM

Wonder what was in the Toy Hauler…

@#8 March 28, 2016 at 8:42 PM

Think you may be right. I don’t think it helped that they didn’t have much of a truck either. Quite possibly ran the tongue weight too light because of this.