National Park Service Hosts Las Posadas at the John Muir Historic Site

November 29, 2015 18:00 pm · 7 comments

national_park_service

Join the National Park Service and the Spanish Choir of St. Catherine of Siena Church for a bilingual program of music, history, and holiday traditions at the Martinez Adobe on the grounds of John Muir National Historic Site.

This free event is on Saturday, December 5, 2015 from 1:30 PM to 4:00 PM.

Las Posadas is a holiday tradition throughout the Americas with origins in New Spain. In the 16th century Spanish missionaries noticed the indigenous people had a ceremony that fell during Christmastime. Las Posadas was developed to convert the native tradition to the Catholic faith.

This program includes some religious elements for educational and cultural purposes and to share the story of the Juan Bautista de Anza National Historic Trail. People of all faiths are welcomed and encouraged to attend. Come discover how the faith and traditions introduced by the Spanish continue to shape our community.

The Martinez Adobe is home to a bilingual exhibit about the Juan Bautista de Anza National Historic Trail which commemorates the Spanish colonial settlement of the Bay Area in 1776.

Reservations are not required. Please call the John Muir NHS visitor center at (925) 228-8860 extension 0 if you have questions. Visitors should meet at John Muir NHS. If it rains, the program will be a sing-along inside the John Muir National Historic Site Visitor Center.

Created in 1964, John Muir NHS preserves the home, landscapes, and gravesite of conservationist and national park advocate John Muir. Muir spent his entire life exploring, studying, and writing about his experiences in the American wilderness, most notably the Sierra Nevada Mountains. His writing set the stage for a conservation movement that would spur protection of nature nationwide and ultimately earn Muir the title “Father of the National Parks”.

The John Muir NHS, located at 4202 Alhambra Avenue, Martinez, CA 94553, is open seven days a week from 10 AM to 5 PM. Admission to the site is free of charge. For more information, please visit the park website at www.nps.gov/jomu or call (925) 228-8860.

Nick Black Horse November 29, 2015 at 6:37 PM

This celebration/recognition of the Spaniards conversion of my indigenous peoples is blasphemy.

The National Park Service should be telling the entire story and how the Catholics destroyed Native American cultures.

John Muir was a thief.

Justin November 29, 2015 at 7:24 PM

#1 – too bad, so sad.

AnotherAnon, @#1 November 29, 2015 at 7:55 PM

Better study up a bit on your history, Sonny. John Muir had nothing to do with the history of “your” people; the connection is the event is being held at the Muir NHS. So put your feigned indignation back where it belongs.

It's 'Meme' is that you Ma? November 29, 2015 at 8:17 PM

Just be born locally and live and you are indigenous!

Born in LA.

Born in the USA!

Let’s party!

Let’sgo !

Thanks NPS!

I myself am more indigenous than most – and I have nice hair!

Love,
“Meme”.

@1 November 29, 2015 at 8:45 PM

Whats so bad about wearing pants?

Beacon November 30, 2015 at 7:19 AM

The definitinon of Indigenous and Indigenous Peoples are different. Look it up.

Mimi (original) November 30, 2015 at 4:14 PM

@Meme – That cracks me up! I, too, am born in LA,CA and USA!! I’m a Native California and a Native Angeleno, born in a downtown LA hospital in the 50’s. I also have a teeny tiny bit of Native American blood (Cherokee) dating back to the mid-1600’s. Since I’m very fair, green eyed and freckled I usually point to one of my freckles and say “here is evidence of my Cherokee heritage”. Long live the Meme and Mimi’s of the world!