Inland Areas Expected to See Freezing Temperatures Overnight

November 27, 2015 21:59 pm · 12 comments

national weather service

Sub-freezing temperatures are likely tonight and Saturday morning in inland areas of the Bay Area, according to a National Weather Service meteorologist and a freeze warning issued by the NWS.

The warning goes into effect at 11 p.m. tonight and ends at 9 a.m. Saturday for areas not adjacent to the bay or ocean, weather service officials, including meteorologist Duane Dykema said.

Temperatures will be anywhere from 26 to 32 degrees Fahrenheit in most inland areas, according to weather service officials.

The cold poses a threat to the health of people outside and will kill crops and other plants, weather service officials said.

Mr.Wonderful November 27, 2015 at 10:01 PM

So how long before the BAAQMD starts issuing STA days???

ConcordMike November 27, 2015 at 11:06 PM

Worst case scenario, what should one do and NOT DO if their pipes were to freeze up? I’ve covered mine, but I was curious if they did freeze, do I wait til the afternoon, take a blow torch to the faucet? Just curious. Thanks.

Duchess of Martinez November 27, 2015 at 11:51 PM

It’s fricken cold

Potted plants indoors or in the garage

Atticus Thraxx November 28, 2015 at 7:57 AM

ConcordMike when I lived where this was an issue there were two tricks. Easy one is crack the faucet a little. Moving water takes longer to freeze. Second is using heat tape/cable for vulnerable piping.

Fix Our Roads

Atticus Thraxx November 28, 2015 at 7:59 AM

Now that I’ve actually read and understood your question, the only time I had to do that I used my wife’s hair dryer. Mush better to prevent than treat.

Fix Our Roads

Silva November 28, 2015 at 8:54 AM

I have plants to move today. Thanks for the warning!

Cowellian November 28, 2015 at 9:07 AM

Y’all are colder than we are. Methinks it’s going to be a strange weather year.

Bazooka Joe November 28, 2015 at 9:27 AM

What I do to keep my pipes from freezing is, I go outside before bedtime and turn off the water, come back in and turn on the faucets to drain them.
I’m not sure if it stays at 32 degrees long enough in the morning for the pipes to freeze, but I’d rather be safe than sorry.

Lari November 28, 2015 at 9:40 AM

It didn’t seem as cold as expected – covered some plants, but frost cloth blew off one and if there’s a “breeze, no freeze”. I will stock up on more frost cloths this weekend, as when you really need them the stores are out of stock. Sheets just don’t work the same…

Captain Bebops November 28, 2015 at 12:45 PM

Some of the lemons on my tree split open. Usually these temps come in January (as happened last January) and by then the lemons have thick skins and can take the cold. The tree is somewhat boxed in between two houses which helps protect it. But I did cover it Thursday night and it seemed to prevent any further splitting.

Silva November 28, 2015 at 7:45 PM

Six chili pepper plants and five Monarch caterpillars in the house, life is good!

betty bart November 29, 2015 at 5:35 AM

I lit 3 big candles in greenhouse till sat 10am still it was only 40’s In there. all my tropicals are in there…all water in buckets around there were frozn solid. dragged a few citrus in there too fingers are crossed