Woman Assaulted After Discovering Burglar Inside Vehicle at Sunvalley Mall

July 31, 2015 15:15 pm · 53 comments

cpd

A woman was assaulted after she discovered a person inside of her vehicle in the parking lot of the Sunvalley Mall on Thursday, according to the Concord Police Department.

Police say the crime occurred around 7:40pm when the victim was walking to her vehicle and observed an unknown suspect inside, who was believed to be in the process of burglarizing the vehicle, police said.

The victim shouted and the suspect pushed the victim out of the way and fled from the victim’s vehicle. Although the victim gave chase, the suspect was able to elude her.

The victim did not sustain any major injuries.

The suspect was described as a black female adult, 20-30 years, thin build, with dark hair in braids, wearing a white t-shirt, and dark shorts, police said.

This case is currently under investigation. Anyone with information regarding this case may contact the Concord Police Department Investigative Division at (925)-671-3030, or the Concord Police Department confidential “tip line” at (925)-603-5836

Random Task July 31, 2015 at 3:29 PM

it’s beginning to look a lot like Pittsburgh …every where you go

The Mamba July 31, 2015 at 3:30 PM

This is just shocking. I never would have expected this at SunValley Mall.

Eyes rolling July 31, 2015 at 3:34 PM

If you don’t know how to handle yourself in situations that could escalate to possible danger you should probably be quiet and call the police away from the screen. Maybe even pick up one of the many phone’s around the parking areas and call the renta cops that answer. Just some common sense for ya

GRX July 31, 2015 at 3:37 PM

All Suspects Matter

The Mamba July 31, 2015 at 3:45 PM

Solid victim blaming #4!

Chevellegurl July 31, 2015 at 3:49 PM

She would have gotten a face full of Pepper spray! Her parents must be so proud. Had she been caught she would get a slap on the wrist anyway. These people need to start getting the crap beaten out of them.

Justin July 31, 2015 at 4:07 PM

#1: Drop the ‘h’. Pittsburgh is a lovely city. Pittsburg not so much.

Also, I realize pushing technically constitutes assault, but that’s pretty weak. Pushing her out of the way and running? Not exactly a violent confrontation.

babymama July 31, 2015 at 4:12 PM

Shorts up. Don’t reproduce. Or is it Pants Up. Don’t loot?

Lawn Chair Lawyer July 31, 2015 at 4:17 PM

#4 & #5 are completely unnecessary comments and add no meaningful dialogue to this.
#3 speaks the truth though.

sherri July 31, 2015 at 4:18 PM

What was she going to do if she caught him? I agree with #3

typical claycordian July 31, 2015 at 4:30 PM

Section 8’s Finest.

Too bad there wasn't some way to lock thief INSIDE the car.... July 31, 2015 at 4:35 PM

come back tomorrow and drag out the dehydrated baked dead corpse

No Safe Haven July 31, 2015 at 4:37 PM

Last November the Police shot and killed a car jacker in the Sun Valley Mall…Hey. There are no safe havens. I love Tomi’s Restaurant in the Mall. I also take my grand daughters to shop at the stores in the mall…But…I do scan constantly to insure that I or my love ones are not blindly walking into harm’s way…Also…I remember the fob…I know that if I press that panic button on my fob, 99% of car thieves will get out of dodge without putting my personal safety on the line…you can always get another phone…not another life!…Use the fob and call the cops…they’re paid to deal with the physical part of the experience…

@3 July 31, 2015 at 4:51 PM

Just because you’re too much of a p***y to do anything in such a situation, that doesn’t mean you should roll your eyes at people who have the balls to take action. I applaud this woman’s bravery. People like her are the ones who make a difference, not ones like you.

Jim Shoes July 31, 2015 at 4:58 PM

Scumbag

Concordite July 31, 2015 at 5:00 PM

@ Random Task, when I read your post I sang it like a Christmas song. Lol
As for the victim, are you crazzzy?? Stop walking, back up, whip out your phone and call 911 then take pictures. If skanky has no weapons, approach her then proceed to beat her a$$!

Redistribution July 31, 2015 at 5:00 PM

What did you expect this is demafornia where the sense of entitlement is taught then reinforced by the nanny state.

Eyes rolling July 31, 2015 at 5:07 PM

#1 I bet you feel like what you would say a Pittsburg resident is spelling it with an H. I hope your new to this area otherwise your ignorance is alarming.

Anon July 31, 2015 at 5:08 PM

What part of the parking lot was this?

@Eyes Rolling July 31, 2015 at 5:28 PM

Speaking of alarming ignorance, look at your incoherent post.

Lo July 31, 2015 at 6:23 PM

You should @sickofit

popyes_chikun July 31, 2015 at 6:42 PM

next time lock the skittles up in the glove

MeCrazyWoman July 31, 2015 at 6:43 PM

Too many blaming the victim posts. I seriously doubt that these posters have ever been in a situation like this. Two years ago someone broke into my house during the day. I completely froze and just screamed my head off. Why I just didn’t run outside blows my mind. I was embarrassed and shocked as to how I handled the situation.

It’s easy to say what you would do if faced with a certain situation. But it’s completely different if the situation actually happens. Fear kicks in

Democrat July 31, 2015 at 6:52 PM

A swift kick should have been the least.

TeacherMan July 31, 2015 at 6:53 PM

@ Redistrubution. Another ignorant rant. Sheesh! Get real!

Correct term July 31, 2015 at 6:59 PM

@ #5,#16 and#26

The new correct term is Dindoos, as in the suspect “Dindoo Nuffin”. She thought it was her car…

@TeacherMan July 31, 2015 at 7:11 PM

In Texas criminals know owner of a vehicle is likely to be armed.
In CA criminals can count on citizens being unarmed.

Bob Foo July 31, 2015 at 8:08 PM

To anyone using the pronoun “him” referring to this incident:

Please read the article carefully. Both the victim and the suspect are female. There is no “him” involved at all.

P.HILL RESIDENT July 31, 2015 at 8:17 PM

I wish it was my car, I would make absolutely sure that woman left the parking lot in a body bag.

Ozzy Rob white Ford Ranger July 31, 2015 at 9:18 PM

Ewwww I wonder if the victims car and headrest now smells like the thiefs hair?

You know what I mean by the hair smell?

Gigi July 31, 2015 at 9:34 PM

Taser! It would have been perfect. Finding someone in your car like that
And being it was a She, I could see confronting her. Taser would have been
Perfect (then call the security, and kick her while she’s down). Maybe she would think twice before victimizing someone else.

Glock 9 July 31, 2015 at 11:17 PM

Bang bang and go to H_ll

JG August 1, 2015 at 12:15 AM

I applaud this woman’s bravery.

@ Eye’s Rolling – I don’t fully agree with you. If it was your own car you may think differently! You remind of one you one of those cab drivers two weeks ago at Pleasant Hill BART… that would do nothing except watch when a lady was assaulted and knocked to the ground in the parking lot?.

valiii August 1, 2015 at 12:19 AM

Doesn’t Sun Valley have any video cameras? Nowadays, they are not expensive, and they can be wireless.
At 7:40 pm it is still daytime this time of year, so this was a fairly brazen act.
I bet this thief breaks into cars all the time..

Mr. T August 1, 2015 at 6:31 AM

I’m just her to read #5’s comments.

Nose Picker August 1, 2015 at 6:48 AM

Some free tips for you:

1) Don’t park at Bart stations.
2) Don’t park at the Sun Valley Mall.
3) Don’t park at the Willows Shopping Center.

GRX August 1, 2015 at 8:27 AM

@40

The cameras were probably stolen by the same.

All Suspects Matter

WTF August 1, 2015 at 8:41 AM

At around the same time a friend of mine was assaulted at the mall s well by a black mail. She was shoved to the ground and beaten. She parked underground by Penney’s. Perhaps we had a “team event” going on Thursday evening?

canthavefun August 1, 2015 at 9:41 AM

@40 man when 911 happened we had hella cameras on the pentagon but no videos ever came out i think the same thing could happen lmao

canthavefun August 1, 2015 at 9:42 AM

Vote for the state conceal carry without permits then stuff like this wouldnt happen an armed society is a polite society

russianLibertarian August 1, 2015 at 3:30 PM

My 2 cents:

Yes, some of the people above have commented in a racist fashion. However, white/black/mexi/jew crime is crime. (for the record, w/b/m/j is from a radio program in Seattle where they describe a crime and have to guess the ethnicity of the suspect).

Since the Supreme Court has determined that it is not the responsibility of the police to protect American citizens (link at bottom for those of you who don’t believe me), it falls on us to protect ourselves and our families. Unfortunately we aren’t really afforded the ability to protect our communities. I agree that concealed carry should be not just allowed, but encouraged.

Crime, at it’s core, is an economic decision. If the reward of criminal activity justifies the risk associated with it, then committing a crime becomes economically viable – if morally bereft. By arming individuals you increase the risk associated with criminal activity and thereby decrease the likelihood that a crime will be committed. In addition to the lessened probability of a crime occurring, you increase the victims ability to defend themselves should such a crime occur.

I’m certain that many have heard the argument that decreased gun legislation increases the number of guns in the hands of criminals, but criminals will obtain weapons regardless the laws in place. They do not care about the law…they’re criminals.

There’s more to say but I’m sure this is so long that many have already stopped reading. Anyway, here’s the link:

Shelly August 1, 2015 at 5:22 PM

#47, This site often reports on white criminals. The only difference is that there are far fewer comments, and the perp’s race isn’t generally fodder for discussion.

Shelly August 1, 2015 at 5:27 PM

WTF #44, I saw that you left a post about that on last week’s Whatever thread. You said it happened at the very same time as this did. You also stated that she was left with a concussion after being beaten by this male. I wonder if you have some explaination as to why that didn’t make the news and this did?

WTF August 1, 2015 at 9:34 PM

Don”t know Shelly. I went to see her today. Her face looks bad and she is traumatized. The face, eyes & concussion will get better, but the trauma???? Never. Doctor told she should be happy it was he face swelling and not her brain. But most definitely she was attacked by a male and she said he smelled like weed.
Still wondering if this is a team working the mall

Shelly August 2, 2015 at 8:22 AM

WTF, How awful and utterly disturbing. And very strange THAT went unreported.

anon August 2, 2015 at 4:33 PM

” The lady was not injured or assaulted, she was just pushed out of the way and nothing was stolen.”

Pushed is an assault

Shelly August 2, 2015 at 8:46 PM

WTF, I didn’t mean to imply at all that I don’t believe you. I’m awfully sorry for your poor friend.

WTF????? August 3, 2015 at 8:09 AM

Shelly – it appeared that way.

My friend had lived in Concord for over 20 years, remarried and moved to another city in this area. Sad thing is that Concord has fallen so far so fast that people can’t even go to the mall by themselves anymore. Stopping by the mall & window shopping or grabbing a bite to eat after work was always a fun way to forget the stress & bs of the job. Now that option no longer exists unless we travel there in packs like wolves. No if I want to partake in that activity I have to head to WC….Pretty sad.

Shelly August 3, 2015 at 9:17 AM

WTF?????, I don’t know how but I do appologize, and I appreciate you posting about it.

Shelly August 3, 2015 at 9:57 AM

WTF????? The public at large should somehow be made aware of what happened to your friend, and not only the occurance described in this article. You’ve done your part.

Well Folks August 3, 2015 at 12:32 PM

Shelly – not all crimes get reported in the press. A gazillion years ago I worked with someone whose husband was an anesthesiologist at Highland Hospital in Oakland. He told us that roughly 1/10 of assaults are reported in the press as the real number would take up an entire newspaper weekly. I suspect that practice continues today. Oh well, I put the word out, so people need to be careful and never park underground at the mall or be at the mall at dusk or after.

batman August 4, 2015 at 10:36 AM

The daytime security guard at downtown pleasant hill was punched in the eye yesterday when he walked up on a guy trying to break into a car. He stopped the robbery but took a shiner. The guy who hit him was about 6’3 skinny black male wearing a hoodie. Black guy hit the officer and ran like a gazelle down Monument Blvd. To the guard….feel better bud you took it like a champ.

Racistoneverycaucasion August 6, 2015 at 12:28 PM

How many people who commented on this story, commented about the white voilent male sex offender who was arrested for assault with a deadly weapon upon a female who was shopping on willow pass in Concord. There’s only 29 comments for that story and 59 comments for this story. Why? Because white people crimes don’t count. White people think that they commit far less crimes then any other racial group.