One Dead in Collision Near Pleasant Hill, Lafayette Border

July 30, 2015 16:13 pm · 33 comments

One person was killed in a collision involving at least two cars near Lafayette this afternoon, according to the Contra Costa County Fire Protection District.

Emergency medical crews responded just before 3 p.m. to a report of a collision at the intersection of Withers Avenue and Taylor Boulevard between Lafayette and Pleasant Hill, Fire Marshal Robert Marshall said.

One person was pronounced dead at the scene, but Marshall said he did not yet know how many people were involved or may have been injured in the collision.

The California Highway Patrol is investigating the cause of the collision. A CHP spokesman did not immediately return a call for more information about the incident.

1 Anon July 30, 2015 at 4:34 PM

Very sad that someone passed away. our thoughts and prayers are wth the family and loved ones.

2 Anon July 30, 2015 at 4:37 PM

Just passed by this area, traffic light is out. Lots of traffic and CHP at the scene. One truck is overturned and the front end of an older Ford is demolished. The deceased is still at the scene next to the older Ford truck.

Be careful on the roads.

Rest in peace. My thoughts go out to those involved and their families.

3 J. July 30, 2015 at 4:43 PM

Before they put the traffic signal in at that intersection fatal accidents were a regular occurrence.

R.I.P.

4 Scs July 30, 2015 at 4:50 PM

No matter who’s at fault, someone’s loved one will never come home again! My thoughts and prayers are with them all.

5 Jason July 30, 2015 at 5:11 PM

My mom was driving over to visit us and last by right after this occurred. Said the deceased had exited the car and dropped right next to it. So sad that they died.

6 jj July 30, 2015 at 5:34 PM

I see every day now someone has had a accident…today someone has died
because of this accident…..people please slow down….and live longer…..
RIP……..someone is now with the dear lord…and not coming home tonight.
So sad to hear daily about accidents….yesterday it was kids that did not look and ran into another car…topping the car over on its side….please be careful when you are driving…you are not on the road all by yourself…..and slow down…..please….slow down…..and live.

7 Ashley July 30, 2015 at 5:36 PM

I drove by this and saw the two trucks that collided. The man who died was still laying outside of the old school Ford. I don’t understand why they have the mans body just laying in the road still. Such a sad accident. Prayers to the families and drivers in those trucks.

8 Jason Young July 30, 2015 at 5:37 PM

I was at the scene. I’m in the Coast Guard. I wish I could’ve saved him. The deceased gentleman had a pulse when I was trying to open the door. He had head trauma and extensive chest injuries. His pulse faded in less than a minute or so. The firefighters tried everything. But he passed. Prayers be with the family and friends. God Bless

9 Tracy July 30, 2015 at 6:10 PM

Very sad. I drove by soon after. People really need to not drive so fast. It is dangerous. Rest in peace. Prayers to the family.

10 PH Dad July 30, 2015 at 7:43 PM

Thank you for your efforts Jason. Make sure to talk to your corpsman about this.
Former ET1/SS

11 GRX July 30, 2015 at 8:06 PM

The Withers and Taylor intersection is a common place for red light runners. ‘Not saying it was the cause.. just my frequent observation since I sometimes take that route when it rains.

12 Cowellian July 30, 2015 at 8:37 PM

Damn!
Another bubblehead!

13 thx4youropinion July 30, 2015 at 9:03 PM

@#7 — “I don’t understand why they have the mans body just laying in the road still.”

He cannot be moved at all until reviewed by a Medical Examiner/Coroner. He has to conduct an external body exam, preserve evidence (on the body), photograph, etc.

14 #12 July 30, 2015 at 9:40 PM

You are one sick individual. Show a little compassion. POS.

15 Local July 30, 2015 at 9:54 PM

So sad. I’ve driven through that intersection thousands of times. It is scary when people are coming through too fast, although I can’t say I’ve seen a blatant red light run before, which I’m guessing is what happened.

My condolences to his family.

16 Anon July 30, 2015 at 10:32 PM

Turns from Withers onto Taylor are posted as not allowed on red light. The Taylor traffic approaching Withers from Lafayette into Pleasant Hill used to have an electronic sign that would flash lights and words warning motorists to stop when light was preparing to change. The electronic sign was installed at request and recommendation of CHP officer that worked the sad accidents at that location and lived in the area. Don’t know why the warning sign w was replaced without tying into the stoplight changes.

17 J. July 30, 2015 at 10:52 PM

I’ve never witnessed any problems there. Only read about them in the Green Sheet. It always was scary to cross Taylor from Withers before the signal light went in. Mom and Dad had to floor the old jalopy to get across Taylor in time.

18 Cowellian July 30, 2015 at 10:54 PM

Calm down, #14! My earlier comment was for PH Dad. He’ll understand it, and you obviously won’t.

19 Denise MW Reinhardt July 30, 2015 at 10:55 PM

I psssed this acvident today. heartbreaking to see knowing that one family has lost someone and another family is affected as well. Praying for both. Makes you stop and think that we really do need to slow down

20 J. July 30, 2015 at 11:18 PM

@14
Bubblehead is Navy/Coast-Guard slang for Submariners. Two Coasties replied in this thread and one of them was a Bubblehead. Cowellian is a retired Bubblehead.

21 Mr. Oh's Friend July 31, 2015 at 12:57 AM

Was it Mr. Oh? He was the sweetest person I’ve ever met!!!

22 Anon2 July 31, 2015 at 7:00 AM

I always thought Cowellian was a “she,” not a “he.”

23 Silva July 31, 2015 at 7:43 AM

Nope. Cowellian’s definately a he. I went and Googled “bubblehead as soon as I saw his post, cause I immediately knew he’d never say a ridiculously offensive remark, and it was probably related to the Coast Guard or Navy. The internet can be a good tool.

24 MIkeW July 31, 2015 at 8:02 AM

Glad to see there are other ‘Bubbleheads’ around….FTG2(SS)

25 Bird Lover July 31, 2015 at 8:53 AM

I am so sorry this accident had to occur. I will keep the family in prayer and anyone else who is involved. Terrible. People are not careful enough I guess ,
Now is not the time to say they should have been driving at a lower speed etc. That is just plain old sad. I just got my weekly car wash at the do it yourself place in Martinez and was so happy I got that done as I was driving by that very intersection having no idea that this accident had already happened and that someone had died in the very spot I was! Again I am so sorry, Having just lost someone myself , it is really hard to carry on at times.

26 Cowellian July 31, 2015 at 9:37 AM

If I understand correctly, Mr. Oh was turning left onto Withers from Taylor. Is there a left-turn arrow at that intersection, or did he have to make an unprotected left turn?

27 Fred July 31, 2015 at 9:53 AM

“I’ve never witnessed any problems there.”

I have driven thru it for 40 years- people come from Lafayette @ 65-80 MPH & death can occur – deal with it

28 PH Dad July 31, 2015 at 11:19 AM

This intersection is fully controlled and has controlled turn signals to cross the intersection. If someone was making a left onto Withers from Taylor and got hit, someone ran a red light. I’ve been driving this road for decades also and there are additional restrictions on turning right from westbound Withers to NB Taylor due to insufficient sight line around the curve back towards Lafayette.
The lighted sign warning people to slow down for stopped traffic at this intersection was taken out in a collision last year and county public works just put up a new one in the last month. It was pretty dicey coming around that turn at the limit without knowing if the light was red and traffic was stopped. I’m surprised that there weren’t any accidents…

Also. The Coast Guard doesn’t have any submarines. “Bubbleheads” are strictly Navy.

29 Cowellian July 31, 2015 at 11:44 AM

There are a lot of people who seem to feel like they have an inalienable right to turn right on red, regardless of who has the right-of-way. There were countless times when I was legally turning left onto Cowell from Treat, and was almost hit by someone running the red light to turn right onto Cowell. And it was as bad turning left from Ygnacio Valley onto Cowell.

I don’t know if that’s what happened in this case, but somebody was not supposed to be in that intersection.

30 Anon2 July 31, 2015 at 12:56 PM

It appears both drivers were on Taylor Blvd., one headed north and the other headed south, and both trying to turn onto Withers (a left for the driver of the ’67 pickup and a right for the driver of the Dodge).

Speed shouldn’t have been a factor as both drivers were trying to turn from Taylor to Withers. But, you never know.

The ’67 pickup wouldn’t have an airbag and may have only had a lap belt instead of the combination shoulder/lap seat belt. The lack of modern safety features may have contributed to the tragic outcome.

31 Anon July 31, 2015 at 1:59 PM

This is sad… It was a 19 year old driver behind the Dodge and an 81 year old driver behind the Chevy. One person is just starting their journey into life and the other has already been through life’s journeys. Prayers go out to the family of the deceased and the survivors. I hope there will be proper closure during this time.

32 PH Dad July 31, 2015 at 2:47 PM

@31 If the driver of the ’67 pickup turning left had the light and thus right of way, the other driver is at fault.
Very sad regardless.

I almost got t-boned at Grayson and Taylor yesterday morning by a BMW that blew threw a red light. I think he actually made a left turn from the straight through lane after passing the cars stopped in the turn lane. Some old coot. Oblivious to what he had done.

33 anonymous August 2, 2015 at 8:18 AM

Red light cameras, please.