Column: “Smart Paws” on Claycord – Cats at Kittens Ready for Adoption at the Shelter

July 30, 2015 14:00 pm · 29 comments

cats

Hi Pet Loving Claycordians!

This week I decided to ask some of my fellow shelter volunteers to write about our cats and kittens! Dogs, puppies, cats, kittens – so much love at the shelters we encourage you to come visit!

As Smart Paws Pet Resources says, unconditional love is as close as your nearest shelter.  It’s true – and at Contra Costa County Animal Services, we have many cats and kittens for you to meet!

As of 7/24/15, the shelter has 142 cats available for adoption (28 cats over 1 year old and 114 cats under 1 year old).  And yes, that is a lot of cats. We have adult cats, young kittens, and older kittens in just about every color, fur length, and personality. Many people come in looking for a kitten.  Kittens are fun to watch and playful.  They have so much energy that we recommend that they are adopted in pairs so they can tire each other out (and not you at 2am when they decide it is time for the kitten Olympics).  On the other hand, every kitten becomes a cat.  With adult cats, we can better gauge what kind of companion they might be: playful, relaxed, quiet, shy, etc.  We love to match people up with cats or kittens that work with their expectations, lifestyle, and family members (human and other animals).

One study found that older cats take 5 times as long to be adopted as kittens.  And during kitten season, the study found that it takes adult cats 6.5 times as long to be adopted!  We understand that sometimes you just want to adopt a kitten and that you have the time and patience to raise a kitten through its energetic kittenhood.  We just want you to check out some of the cats that are over a year old too.

There are other ways to help the shelter’s cats and kittens if this is not the right time to add a feline to your life.  We need volunteers to socialize cats and kittens as well as to foster sick, injured and orphaned animals until they are ready for placement or have recovered from surgeries or other medical issues.  During warm months, cat, kitten and puppy foster parents are desperately needed.  Become a foster volunteer and discover how rewarding it is to help an animal get ready for a new home.

If you would like to meet some of the shelter’s adoptable cats and kittens, please visit the shelter at 4800 Imhoff Place in Martinez, CA.  The shelter is open on Tuesday – Saturday from 10 am – 5 pm (Wednesdays until 7 pm).  On Sundays, the mobile adoption team works outside the shelter from 12 noon – 3 pm.  If you have any questions, please call the Main Line at (925) 335-8300 or the Volunteers at (925) 335-8330.

p.s.  Cat and kitten adoption fees are $50 through July 31st and include the adoption fee, license, microchip and spay or neuter fees.  Who says you can’t buy love?

Come visit CCAS with some great pets for adoption at the Downtown Martinez Peddlers Faire this weekend, Saturday August, 1st, 8am-4pm!

MANY beautiful dogs and cats will be ready for adoption at the shelters too! Visit Smart Paws on Facebook 24/7!

Shelter Info:
4800 Imhoff Place, Martinez
910 San Pablo Ave, Pinole

The shelters are open 10-5 Tuesday through Saturday and open later until 7pm on Weds.

Adoptions in front of the Martinez shelter from 12-3 on Sundays!

Search all available dogs, cats, rabbits, guinea pigs, etc at www.ccasd.org

Angelface July 30, 2015 at 2:07 PM

I WANT them!

Jen July 30, 2015 at 2:16 PM

I just lost my cat 2 weeks ago. In some ways it feels too soon to get another but my other cat has sunk into a depression and I wonder if a new friend would help him

thx4youropinion July 30, 2015 at 2:19 PM

The sweetest faces!

The next kitty is going to be an older one (one that has gone through the kitten phases).

Atticus Thraxx July 30, 2015 at 2:41 PM

I’ll pay for three adoption fees for anyone who wants to do this but the $50 is stopping you. Contact me thru the Mayor. Choose and old cat and I’ll throw in $10 worth of food/ toys. Petsmart gift certificate probably.

Adopt a cat

Lola2u July 30, 2015 at 2:41 PM

@ Jen….We lost our 17 year old cat a couple of years ago…..we were devastated but our 15 year old cat was even worse off and it broke our hearts to see him walk around the entire house looking for his buddy. Unexpectedly we adopted a kitten from PetSmart while there shopping for dog food. Getting that kitten was the best thing we did and he has fit into our household perfectly. I look at it this way…..adopting another pet after losing one is a testament to your love of animals. So, don’t feel guilty…..give a cat/kitten a badly needed home and show your love…..you’ll benefit in the end.

CC's Owner July 30, 2015 at 2:42 PM

My last cat I adopted was featured on this site over a year ago. Her name is CC and she was 7 when I got her. I got her on her last day before you know what. Older cats are tough to find new homes for. She has a sweet personalty and has been a great addition to my family.

Robert Christensen July 30, 2015 at 2:55 PM

I would also like to add that due to the extreme exists , rats and mice are invading houses in search off water. The greenest way is to adopt a cat instead of poison.

Robert Christensen July 30, 2015 at 2:58 PM

I’m sorry extreme drought conditions that exists. Darn autofill.

CC's Owner July 30, 2015 at 3:00 PM

I second the rat comment. My other rescue cat has caught 7 rats so far this year. Good Kitty

Enfield303 July 30, 2015 at 3:10 PM

That’s mighty neighborly of you Atticus. Too bad I’m already knee deep in cats or I’d take you up on your offer.

Jen July 30, 2015 at 3:16 PM

@ Lola2u

Our cat was only 8 (seemed so young). I will go on Saturday and take a look. I got him at PetsMart when he was 2. My other one I took in when he was a few weeks old after my neighbors moved on their foreclosed house. I’m sure he would love to have someone to play with during the night 🙂

Robert Christensen July 30, 2015 at 3:23 PM

Very nice offer Atticux Thraxx. I have a rescue cat already. Popcorn, the best kitty ever. But I hope other people take you up on your generous offer.

Lola2u July 30, 2015 at 3:37 PM

@ Jen…..I hope you find your next great pet on Saturday…and your existing cat will love the companionship. Nothing says happiness like two cats who play and sleep together. One is a lonely number…..

thx4youropinion July 30, 2015 at 3:54 PM

One of the sweetest cats I ever adopted was a 2 year old “ragdoll” cat. Pick them up and they literally go limp, hence, their name.

It was a Monday when I saw him at the pound, but he wouldn’t be up for adoption until Wednesday. The pound opens at 10:00; I was there at 6:00.

THAT was going to be my cat — and he was. I guess they have a different procedure now as opposed to being the “first one” to dibs a cat/dog. (Which is good — learn if you’ll like one another before adoption.).

Atticus Thraxx July 30, 2015 at 4:03 PM

I hope so too. But somebody lied to you Robert. I have the best kitty ever. 😉

Fix Our Roads

Clayton Squirrel July 30, 2015 at 4:06 PM

I love the photo. At first I thought that it was sixteen cats in a shoe organizer!

Rescue cats are the best. I have three.

Cat Lover July 30, 2015 at 5:57 PM

If you don’t find the right cat at the shelter, please also check out the kitties at Pet Food Express in Pleasant Hill & Lafayette and Petco in Walnut Creek, Saturdays & Sundays 1-4pm. I’m bringing my 10 month old foster kitty to PFE in Pleasant Hill this Saturday and hoping to find her a good home.

Jen July 30, 2015 at 6:46 PM

That is very nice of Atticus.

I will wait and look around. I will let he/she pick me as they will know what they want. So nice to see so many pet lovers on here.

Momo July 30, 2015 at 7:32 PM

All three of my cats are older rescue from the SPCA… That’s the only way I’ll ever get a pet…it always breaks my heart when I read about older pets being surrendered

Silva July 30, 2015 at 7:49 PM

They are all so beautiful. And there’s that Salvador with those bedroom eyes!

Silva July 30, 2015 at 7:54 PM

Salvador; bottom row, second from the right.

nytemuvr July 30, 2015 at 8:05 PM

@Jen #18
That’s always been my modus operandi for getting a cat and that is so cool for Atticus to make that offer.
@CC’s Owner #6
I have a 15+ year old black one-eyed cat named “CC” too. She found me 8 years ago and raised a couple of great kittens for me.

I'm usually covered in fur July 30, 2015 at 8:14 PM

I have six cats… all over 16 years of age. All born from strays which I trapped, spayed, and then released. One of the strays warmed up to the family and has full run of the yard. The Dobermans have been trained to ignore her… fully. She comes and goes as she pleases and lives like a queen…. I think the Dobies want to unionize.

Mimi (original) July 31, 2015 at 12:19 PM

Love all my rescue pets!! 1 cat adopted us while we were car shopping, of all things! 1 cat was adopted from Community Concern for Cats. 1 dog from ARF, 1 dog from the County Shelter, and 1 dog from a box on a street corner. Also, 1 bunny from the flea market – a “dwarf” bunny they said! The thing is now bigger than 1 of the dogs and ties size with 1 dog and 1 cat!! Still, they all contribute to our lives! I think I’ll go socialize cats at the shelter – I’m not getting enough attention!

Silva July 31, 2015 at 2:44 PM

I’ve never gone through a formal adoption. Cats also find me before I ever need to go looking. There are just so many of the dear beasties everywhere I wish I weren’t at my limit. Alas…

Sandy July 31, 2015 at 2:54 PM

Atticus, you are the best!

Mary Fouts July 31, 2015 at 4:03 PM

@Jen #2 – I am so sorry for your loss. I am a dog person but can tell you from my experience there truly is no “right” time to adopt after the loss of a beloved animal companion. Trust both your heart and the reaction your other cat as to when is a good time to adopt another cat.

We lost our beloved Martinez-alum dog Titus in late September at age 14 yrs almost 3 mos. We were devastated, our house so empty. We adopted dog Sid from the Pinole shelter 3 days later, then dog Lexi from the Antioch shelter in later October. Both adoptions meant to be; dogs bonded as if littermates and forever faithful companions to us humans. Same can happen with cats. And remember … there is no charge for looking at kitties and cats in the CCAS shelters if you are so inclined!

Atticus Thraxx July 31, 2015 at 4:24 PM

I am not Sandy, but thanks. Unfortunately no one has taken me up on the offer. Spread the word please. Kitties needs homes and people to love them.

Fix Our Roads

sandy August 2, 2015 at 10:48 PM

I am sorry to hear that Atticus. Sometimes a very generous offer can be enough to help someone make that leap, but perhaps not this time. I volunteer at the shelter so I’m always trying to spread the word. Maybe the time might not be right to adopt, but one can always let people know there are great cats and dogs at the shelter. Thanks Atticus!!