CLOSING: Another Radio Shack is Closing in Claycord

February 27, 2015 8:00 am · 14 comments

radio_shack_ph

Radio Shack, located on Contra Costa Blvd. in Pleasant Hill, is closing.

The store will close next month, according to an employee.

Radio Shack on Ygnacio Valley Rd. in Walnut Creek, and Radio Shack on Willow Pass Rd. in Concord have also closed their doors within the past two months.

RELATED STORIES:

1 The Mamba February 27, 2015 at 8:23 AM

I should rush over there and buy some crappy batteries and remote control cars that break after two weeks.

2 3rd Krat Brother February 27, 2015 at 8:38 AM

I hate that place, they demand your name, address, SSN, mother’s maiden name and a DNA sample just to buy a phone charger.

3 Ancient Mariner February 27, 2015 at 8:40 AM

Used to be a great place for radio and electronics hobbyists, but then they turned into a light version of Best Buy. They lost their core customer set. Or maybe, the customers just disappeared first, because nobody does home electronics any more.

4 Concord Guy February 27, 2015 at 9:18 AM

Too bad people are losing their jobs. Lack of vision by corporate leaders to blame for loss of this once-strong company.

5 Captain Bebops February 27, 2015 at 9:25 AM

But who would go to Radio Shack when you have a Fry’s in the area? And Fry’s seems to have increased their hobbyist inventory recently. But even Fry’s may be feeling the pinch these days. People need expendable income to shop these places.

6 Thunderdome February 27, 2015 at 10:01 AM

This isn’t surprising at all. Their prices have not even been close to competitive. I’ve made a few emergency trips to RS over the years when traveling for a computer battery or charger. The prices were always 3x higher than online. The last time I went it was to get a battery for my car door remote. Again, an emergency situation. $5 battery ended up costing $20 and as 3rd Kat brother stated, I had to spend 10 minutes making up fake personal information to satisfy the sales clerk.

7 Silva February 27, 2015 at 10:02 AM

Guess I’ll go get that spool of speaker wire I’ve been wanting.

8 ClayDen February 27, 2015 at 10:47 AM

I dislike Radio Shack even more than Fry’s (which I only go to when I absolutely have to). Comments 2 and 4 also have it right.

9 Captain Bebops February 27, 2015 at 12:16 PM

I once went to the RS in Sun Valley to buy a $3 item and the clerk wanted my name and info. I told her my name was “Bill Clinton”. That really pissed her off but I walked out without having to give her any more info.

10 Cowellian February 27, 2015 at 12:37 PM

Captain Bebops, I can state with a great deal of certainty, that most Radio Shack employees are as irritated with the interrogation process as you were. I never cared if I was being lied to, but I did have to ask the questions. Some very-highly compensated executive had somehow decided that getting all that information was essential to the store’s success. Those of us who actually operated the cash registers understood that we were alienating a lot of customers.

11 J. February 27, 2015 at 12:44 PM

Last name please: “Off”
First name please: “Buzz”

12 I also used to work at Radio Shack February 27, 2015 at 12:59 PM

Back in the 80’s, I worked at a Radio Shack store for about 6 months (including Christmas). I remember we sold about a million of those crappy radio control cars and, by New Year’s Day, 999,998 of them had been returned for a refund. We actually had to go to the bank and get cash so we had enough to give everybody their money back.

Back then, Radio Shack carried tons of hobbyist parts, not just the couple of drawers they have now. Then, they turned into just another Sprint phone store (that wasn’t even as good as the “real” phone stores) and pretty much became irrelevant. It’s too bad, really, because it once was a pretty cool place to work and shop.

And I can confirm what Cowellian said about the employees hating to ask for all that information. 90% of the customers complained about it, and the other 25% probably gave false info. If somebody didn’t want to provide the info, I just wrote, “Customer politely declined to state.” I got a lot of “talking to” over that, but it was better than harassing people and pissing them off.

13 Elwood February 27, 2015 at 2:25 PM

When the RS clerk asked me for info I always said: “Hello, I’m Johnny Cash”.

14 Cheech February 27, 2015 at 2:26 PM

This sucks. I usually can scrounge up electronic components for my projects. I know these aren’t hight ticket items, but it was nice to know they are there if needed. Fry’s carries NTE that has different part#’s for some parts that can prove difficult. AFAIK, no cross-reference book exists to translate TI #’s.

I need to finish up my 1776 effects Thunderbird Super Lead Pedal. Runs charge pumps @24v, most are 9v. FUN!