PHOTO: U.S. Postal Service Truck Burns in Walnut Creek

January 16, 2015 17:18 pm · 35 comments

postal_truck

A U.S.P.S. truck was completely destroyed this afternoon in Walnut Creek.

Randy sent the photo, and also says “This happened in Rudgear Estates in Walnut Creek just a little while ago. Postal carrier safe. Witnesses say he removed the mail from the burning truck and continued the route. Truck reportedly malfunctioned when he started the engine.”

Claycordians, we now have an updated U.S.P.S. motto: “Neither rain, nor snow, nor sleet, nor hail….nor fire shall keep the postmen from their appointed rounds.”

Thanks again for Randy for the photo & information.

1 Pacheco Tweeker January 16, 2015 at 5:22 PM

How inconsiderate. Don’t they know it’s a spare the air day? I wonder if BOARD is going to fine them.

2 Schmee January 16, 2015 at 5:22 PM

Don’t they run on natural gas

3 J. January 16, 2015 at 5:24 PM

Gnarly.

4 Nose Picker January 16, 2015 at 5:34 PM

They’re still more effective and cheaper than UPS & FedUp.

5 Fritzhugh Ludlow January 16, 2015 at 5:37 PM

I always wondered what “@Hot Mail.com” ment on this electric contraption.

6 Chester E. Kitty January 16, 2015 at 5:37 PM

Great mail carrier to just keep carrying his route! And he saved all the mail! Kudos to him/her!!!

7 Wilder Road Rage January 16, 2015 at 5:46 PM

It’s like Kramer driving the hijacked bus. “You kept making the stops?” “People kept ringing the bell!”

8 Fido January 16, 2015 at 5:54 PM

I was worried about my “Publishers Clearinghouse Sweepstakes”. ;0

9 Sassy January 16, 2015 at 5:54 PM

I hope he wasn’t smoking in his mail truck. Going down Broadway this past Wednesday and a female mail carrier was smoking a cigarette and on her phone texting in the mail truck, (983) at a stop light. I have called the complaint into the USPS, but have not heard back as of yet. Glad everyone is OK!

10 Cowellian January 16, 2015 at 6:09 PM

And the mail got delivered? OK, I am impressed!

11 VikingPrincess January 16, 2015 at 6:10 PM

The second one in the past few years…wow. The last one I think was due to something defective in the engine.

12 Sangin' January 16, 2015 at 6:15 PM

Awww, the driver was worried about saving the mail. Cute.

13 thx4youropinion January 16, 2015 at 6:18 PM

FedEx: I think USPS just notched your “When it absolutely, positively has to be there overnight” slogan.

14 GRX January 16, 2015 at 6:25 PM

Uh-oh… that’s not good.

Btw, those mail carrier trucks are deadly. Ever see the NHTSA offset collision test on one of those things???

I’m surprise the USPS union “lets” them drive it on public roads.

15 MrDioji January 16, 2015 at 6:43 PM

That’s awesome that he saved the mail.

16 MrDioji January 16, 2015 at 6:44 PM

Oh, and lol at Hotmail. haha

17 Mail Truck Fire Last Year January 16, 2015 at 6:46 PM

On Claycord not even a year ago…

PHOTO: Mail Truck Destroyed During Fire
FEBRUARY 14, 2014 10:55 AM · 35 COMMENTS

A mail truck was destroyed during a fire on Concord Blvd. near Thornwood Dr. in Concord.

No injuries were reported, and it is currently unknown how much mail was inside the truck at the time of the blaze.’

We’ll keep you updated when we hear more.

18 Mailma January 16, 2015 at 6:47 PM

@Sassy isn’t there enough going on in the world that you have to get upset what the mail lady is doing at the stop light?

19 well done mailman! January 16, 2015 at 6:54 PM

our idiotic mail service can’t even get a vacation hold right.

20 zorb January 16, 2015 at 7:13 PM

We got a delivery email today from usps that a package was left at my front door. So because of the bart debacle, I happened to be working from home, and opened my from door, only to find no package left. After numerous attempts to reach usps, I finally got through to their 800 number and logged a missing package report. An hour later, that very same package arrived at my doorstep. I made the comment, what if you had marked it delivered and your truck caught fire before you delivered it? Who knew…

21 Usps has done that January 16, 2015 at 7:42 PM

Mark as delivered, yet..it has not been. Have that happen to me, as well. This mail carrier (saved mail and delivered after fire) was an exception. But because of that lie about being delivered, yet not really…..i do not have much faith with the local team at my area.

22 Bob Brittain January 16, 2015 at 7:49 PM

Bravo to the USPS carrier Job well done!

23 Saint January 16, 2015 at 8:58 PM

@Sassy – Get a life

24 @sassy January 16, 2015 at 9:47 PM

i think they’re allowed to smoke in their mail trucks. I’ve seen a lot of mail people smoking. They’re so busy and pressured thats probably the only time they have for a smoke break. Texting is something to address maybe but really? You must have nothing better to do. Beside that – Great job to him or her for saving the mail! How scary.

25 Tgunn January 17, 2015 at 12:11 AM

@Sassy, You are a complete A…..hole. She is at work making a living and your trying to wreck this ladies program. KARMA heard of it? Have a nice evening.

26 m January 17, 2015 at 1:00 AM

@sassy its mot texting its a gps device or a scanner letting the shipper know when the package gets to the destination. I hope you feel good sassy, someone could have lose her or his job because of your ineptitude

27 Rudgear Resident January 17, 2015 at 7:13 AM

My mail WAS a little warm…

28 Bro C January 17, 2015 at 8:36 AM

Through rain,sleet and snow,even the dark of night, and by the fire light!

29 Fixit Man January 17, 2015 at 9:03 AM

It’s sad. One less furure ice cream truck that will not available.

30 THE BLACK KNIGHT January 17, 2015 at 12:27 PM

GRX #14,

The current mail trucks built by Grumman on a Chevrolet S-10 frame were originally only suppose to be in service until 2013 (24 years), while the fleet service has been extended, it is believed to be insufficient for service by 2017, and the USPS is currently looking into a new fleet of replacement vehicles.

I remember my mail carrier telling me that his USPS Jeep had less than 60,000 miles on it when it was replaced around 1990. One of the most efficient vehicles, if not the most efficient vehicle ever in the USPS fleet was the fleet of 5000 Ford Pinto’s purchased in 1980 as Ford was winding down production and the kinks had been worked out.

31 2BITS January 17, 2015 at 1:46 PM

Hey Sassy what are waiting to hear back? That you got someone fired so you can come on hear to brag and feel good about yourself? What a busy body!

32 mika January 17, 2015 at 6:12 PM

not cool, Sassy. Not cool.

33 Dr. Jellyfinger January 18, 2015 at 1:20 AM

I think North Korea had something to do with it.

34 Mar January 18, 2015 at 4:17 AM

Sassy good for you !!! The drivers are not Allowed to smoke in the Truck .Or Talk /Texting on their phone.while on duty .The Mail service is so bad in Walnut Heights area. Almost every day we get our mail between 6pm to 8:30pm . A few times after 9pm .Also last year there were 3 days in 2014 We didn’t have any mail service at all .You can report it But they don’t care . They said it was out of their hands and that our mailman does his reg route and then gets to us . We just give up !!

35 bilgerat January 18, 2015 at 6:20 AM

Greetings. 38 year postal veteran here. lf the carrier had not kepted on delivering the mail he or she would have been dissaplined for intentionaly delaying the mail and failure to follow instructions. if the carrier does not scan the parcels when the PO thinks they should be scanned the carrier gets dissaplined for, you quessed it, failure to follow instructions and delaying the mail. the trucks are called LLV’s long life vel., aluminum beer cans with a motor and for wheels and about as stong. the new carriers are called CCA,s and make $15 an hour with no benefits, the turn over rate is 50 0/0. the postal created work place tension eguals millions in grevences just in the bay area. I could go on and on. I know I have issues.