UPDATE: 59-year-old Homeless Man Struck, Killed on Clayton Rd. in Concord

October 2, 2014 12:08 pm · 85 comments

A 59-year-old man died this morning when he crossed a busy Concord intersection and was struck by a car, a police sergeant said.

The man was crossing the intersection of Clayton and Bailey roads around 6:35 a.m. when he was struck by a car heading east on Clayton Road, according to Concord police Sgt. Ken Carlson.

Emergency responders arrived to find the man lying in the roadway with severe injuries. He was taken to John Muir Medical Center in Walnut Creek, where he was pronounced dead.

Police said the victim is a Concord resident but have not released his name. Contra Costa County Fire Protection District Capt. George Laing said the victim was believed to be homeless.

The driver of the car, a 49-year-old Benicia man, remained at the scene of the collision and is cooperating with the police investigation, Carlson said.

Drugs and alcohol do not appear to have been factors in the collision, he said.

Several witnesses at the scene aided in the police investigation.

Anyone who may have seen the collision is asked to call Concord police Officer Espinosa at (925) 671-3311, ext. 4377.

This collision occurred in almost the same exact spot where a 52-year-old homeless man named Mitch Carscadden was struck and killed by a vehicle in Feb. of 2013.

RELATED STORYUPDATE: Vehicle -vs- Pedestrian Collision on Clayton Rd. at Bailey Rd. in Concord

The Mamba October 2, 2014 at 12:19 PM

How awful for everyone involved. Mark Desaulnier and Susan Bonilla should pass a law against crossing busy roads and homelessnessness.

carol October 2, 2014 at 12:19 PM

Rest in peace. Sad

Smiles October 2, 2014 at 12:22 PM

Great job first responders…life happens on a daily basis.

NB October 2, 2014 at 12:26 PM

That explains all the sirens this morning. Sad way to start the day.

Kristen October 2, 2014 at 12:29 PM

There’s a bunch of them who are regulars on Clayton Road. Wasn’t another homeless man struck and killed very near there a year or two ago?

anon October 2, 2014 at 12:39 PM

Very sad.

Sick Of It October 2, 2014 at 12:48 PM

I feel bad for the driver.

anon October 2, 2014 at 1:03 PM

From Treat to Ayers on Clayton Valley Road, there are a lot of jaywalkers.

Mark October 2, 2014 at 1:04 PM

Very sad to hear this person died.
Big problem with homeless wondering in the street near this intersection and it’s only a matter of time when someone gets hit…. sadly It will happen again.

Condolences to both families.

PO'd October 2, 2014 at 1:11 PM

It’s no wonder that someone would get it crossing Clayton Rd.Might want to think about reducing speed from 40 to 35mph along that stretch.Even though this incident was in an intersection, lots of people cross anywhere they want to, and there will be more hits in the future.

Sick of sick October 2, 2014 at 1:14 PM

You have no class at all. Nor a healthy soul, I’m sad for YOU. RIP to the victim.

J October 2, 2014 at 1:15 PM

Mayor, please implement a like button for the comments section, because #1 deserved a million.

Margaret Shipley October 2, 2014 at 1:18 PM

And what might that law read THE MAMBA? A law that would single out the homeless population? I’m not feeling it… please explain?

BDuns October 2, 2014 at 1:20 PM

well that one certainly went over Margaret Shipley’s head LOL. maybe Desaulnier can draft a law preventing people from completely missing sarcasm.

funny man October 2, 2014 at 1:22 PM

now someone do something about the crazy little white-haired lady that wanders across clayton road and fry way, also across willow pass (near park and shop)
i swear i see here wondering across there and almost getting hit (ONCE by me) every day on my way to the freeway

Incognito October 2, 2014 at 1:26 PM

At this time in the morning it is tough. The sun is starting to come up, but still semi-darkness. I am constantly watching out for people crossing anywhere they want. My biggest fear is hitting someone. Sad

Nono October 2, 2014 at 1:38 PM

I have been on Clayton Rd when some of the homeless people just walk right out on the road with no regard for the drivers. It was night time one night when we almost hit one because you could barely see him.
I feel for the driver.

Sick Of It October 2, 2014 at 1:38 PM

“Homeless” is simply a PC metaphor.

Anon October 2, 2014 at 1:44 PM

If the driver was heading east at that time, the sun was probably right in his eyes.

Russ October 2, 2014 at 1:47 PM

Sadly, the Concord 11 is now the Concord 10. What a rough way to go. Homeless and hit by a car.
My sympathy also goes to the driver.

Just sayin' October 2, 2014 at 1:59 PM

There’s always someone who thinks they’re uber clever and/or funny in the comment sections where accidents are reported. But the truth is that it’s narcissistic, cold-hearted and immature.

My condolences to anyone affected by this tragedy.

ChrisK October 2, 2014 at 2:05 PM

@Just Saying. Exactly. Also this man for all we know could be one of the thousands of vets who are homeless, or maybe he was not? Who knows, someone’s father maybe, son, brother, friend. Very bad taste to use this too try and be funny. Karma is a b-tch btw for those who think this is funny… Just saying.

Owl Lady October 2, 2014 at 2:31 PM

Thanks, #21 and #22. The not-so-clever, cruel and ignorant comments on Claycord have forced me to become a very part-time reader. I get too angry, then want to engage, and know better that to engage with the haters. It is really sad.
My heart and prayers go out to the victim and the driver.

kj#2 October 2, 2014 at 2:34 PM

There is alot of homeless guys that run across the street daily not in the cross walks. They just pop out in between trees and walk out into traffic drunk! Also they hang out in parking lot and loiter! Why does city of concord allow this!

Sick of sick October 2, 2014 at 2:38 PM

You, Sick of it are heartless or so are the idiots that are making light of someones death. I’m so glad I’m not of your mindset.

Shirley Wilson October 2, 2014 at 2:40 PM

Nearly every time I drive between Bailey, Ayers and Rosewood on Clayton I think of Mitch and I am always on the lookout for people darting out of the bushes on the median. This makes me so sad and I have to wonder which person it was this time. I know Mitch’s brother Donnie stays around the same area.

RealityCheck October 2, 2014 at 3:02 PM

Hope the driver is doing okay. Must feel awful. If you are reading this, sir… it was not your fault at all.

Juma October 2, 2014 at 3:03 PM

Being one of the 4 witnesses of this was absolutely heartbreaking. I’m still in utter shock. Praying for the family, friends and driver.

Tom October 2, 2014 at 3:10 PM

Condolences to the family and friends of this man. I hope the driver is okay as well.

Very sad.

Darwin October 2, 2014 at 3:14 PM

Just me at work.
Homeless = PC word for drug addict.
#22 ChrisK, I worked with this population for years in CCC and never did I once come across a homeless vet in this county. I have had people claim to be vets that were never in the service.
I have watched the now claycord 11 (12-1=11) jaywalk for years almost being run over.

My thoughts go out to the driver.

J October 2, 2014 at 3:19 PM

@Chrisk and @Justsating, No one thinks this is funny, but the fact that you two have no sense of sarcasm is.

Making a crack at the stupidity that is the last 20 Claycord.com post about a new bill to paint guns, and take away a humans right to free speech and defense, has no negative bearing on a man that couldn’t be seen crossing a 6 lane road just before the sun comes up.

I feel for this man and the people who loved him, and still do, but I also feel local politicians will turn this in to something to make themselves look better in the public eye because of election season.

WC October 2, 2014 at 3:28 PM

Street People, that is where they want to be mostly. Get some assistance, do a little panhandling, have some drinks. They love to jaywalk also, had one jaywalking with a shopping cart. Stared me down like he owned the street.

Justin October 2, 2014 at 3:41 PM

#21 and 22 nailed it. Tragedy, plain and simple – for all involved.

Show some decorum.

DanMtz October 2, 2014 at 3:43 PM

19, at 6:35 it’s just starting to get light out. The sun doesn’t rise until after 7 these days.

kax October 2, 2014 at 3:43 PM

Quite right, SICK OF IT….. most homeless are that way by choice…..some are mentally ill, and some have had incredibly bad luck, and some that i’ve talked to are fleeing from responsibilities….but the majority are drunks,or strung out on crank or heroin, and like it that way….i see these wasted wretches staggering around traffic all the time, stoned out of their minds…..that’s the lifestyle they have chosen……it’s stupid and dangerous….i feel bad for the driver…..

Darwin October 2, 2014 at 4:02 PM

#35 Kax
Great post!!!

Talked to police October 2, 2014 at 4:24 PM

Talked to policeman today. He said it was a jaywalker. Sad this happened …clayton rd is crazy in the morning. I feel sorry for the poor man whose life will never be the same because he killed someone who was breaking the law.
I have also encountered some pretty inconsiderate drivers who purposely won’t let you turn into a business just so they can keep a place in line waiting for a light. Everyone needs to be more thoughtful instead of thinking about themselves !

warbirds45 October 2, 2014 at 4:45 PM

The people of Contra Costa County pay for the services the Homeless man received this morning. The homeless, begging in the area is a problem no one will address, they are drug addicts, and alcoholics. The police and fire department are constantly providing aid to the homeless.

Anon October 2, 2014 at 4:46 PM

Addiciton is not “chosen”. People do not “choose” to have an addiction. They try something and have a gene that causes them to become addicted. Many do not want to be addicted and try over and over to get rid of the addiction, however, they are enslaved to it, not by choice but by the physical makeup of their genes.

The meaning of addiciton:
the state of being enslaved to a habit or practice or to something that is psychologically or physically habit-forming, as narcotics, to such an extent that its cessation causes severe trauma.

Cessation means to stop use. To stop causes them severe trauma, to their bodies and their minds. Continuing the addiciton also causes severe trauma to their bodies and minds. It is a very tough disease to stop. Yes, a disease.

Anon October 2, 2014 at 4:54 PM

And before people start blaming former President Reagan for letting out the mentally ill, many who have addictions, please research that theory. The law was signed by Jimmy Carter. The committee was led by his wife as well as many politicians, including the Kennedy’s. The law took effect during Reagan’s administration.

Darwin October 2, 2014 at 5:05 PM

#39
I call BS. We were all told as children to not do drugs because they are addicting. They became “enslaved” because of their own stupidity, by choice. It’s been well known for decades what drugs can do to a person. I don’t care what excuses people give, the only “disease” is stupidity here. I guarantee that all these drug addicts have had treatment on more than one occasion. Just look up Prop 36 that passed in 2000. Drug treatment is mandatory vs jail time.
Keep your excuses…

@Darwin #41 October 2, 2014 at 5:18 PM

You have a long, long way to go in understanding how addiction works. Your pompous, holier-than-thou attitude, coupled with your ignorance and lack of any human compassion, is a cringeworthy combination.

Anon October 2, 2014 at 5:19 PM

@ Darwin – Thanks for showing your compassion to those less fortunate than you. You are obviously uneducated in the causes of addiction and enjoy looking down on others.

Let us all bow to your superiority. Glad I can make you feel so much better today, I know you needed it.

Silva October 2, 2014 at 5:26 PM

So sad. I was taught in drivers ed & training to always expect the unexpected. That’s what I try to do. It’s a good rule I think.

Good heart October 2, 2014 at 5:40 PM

Clayton Road has been a horrible mess since school started from 6:30 till almost 9:30 am. I work right on Clayton Road and travel what used to be 5 minutes 2 miles to work now takes me sometimes 15/20 minutes. City needs to do something about lights, traffic flow and commute times. People are going 50-70 mph sometimes down Clayton and that’s far above speed limit. Not only jaywalkers but people on bikes darting in and out of traffic.
People need to slow down, pay attention, show respect for others all suffering through the same mess, and hope that all those on foot, and bike will do the same! Very sad once again someone has lost there life. Praying the driver is able to get through this nightmare! RIP to the soul lost!

Sick Of It October 2, 2014 at 6:17 PM

Crossing the street in front of oncoming cars is a choice.

Dennis October 2, 2014 at 6:46 PM

@ChrisK
“Also this man for all we know could be one of the thousands of vets who are homeless, or maybe he was not?”

If someone joined the military immediately after HS (age 18), trained for only 1/2 year before being deployed to Vietnam, and only spent 6 months there before coming home as the last US Military out of Vietnam in April 1973, (age 19), then in 2014 he would be 60 years old. IF he was the youngest to go, and the last to go. Anyone under age 60 claiming o be a Vietnam Vet is a liar. Furthermore, the average age of infantry soldiers in Vietnam was about 23 — not 18-19. It is extremely unlikely that any veteran that served at any time during the Vietnam War (1961-1973) in less than 64-65 years old.

smarie October 2, 2014 at 6:51 PM

I don’t believe how so many are only focused on that this man was homeless.the fact is, someone was killed. He was somebody’s friend, somebody’s son. Have some compassion.it is very sad for everyone involved. I saw the police taking pictures at the scene and they were taking photos of the traffic signal pole and jacket laying close by. I, think he was using the cross walk!.we need to share the road and drive more carefully.

Dennis October 2, 2014 at 6:57 PM

I gotta agree with Darwin on the addiction issue. No gene makes you stick that needle in your arm the first time. There is a genetic influence on the possibility of addictive behavior, just as there are genes that put someone at a higher risk of Diabetes or Cancer at some point in their lives.

The marker genes DO NOT CAUSE addiction.

It is the “don’t blame me for my choices” excuse of losers.

green October 2, 2014 at 6:59 PM

#3 Darwin:

I am homeless and have never done drugs or drunk alcohol. I am college educated and Phi Beta Kappa. I graduated summa cum laude. I’ve been to law scool as well as an Ivy League graduate school. So I resent your foolish statements.

Tom October 2, 2014 at 7:58 PM

It doesn’t matter if addiction is a self inflicted disorder or a disease. What difference does it make?

The bottom line….if you’re struggling with addiction, get some help.

PamU October 2, 2014 at 8:15 PM

I don’t understand why so many people risk their lives crossing Clayton Road. I, and several other people, had to stop for an elderly lady with a cane crossing Clayton near Denkinger this afternoon.

Nose Picker October 2, 2014 at 8:50 PM

Crosswalk or jaywalking?

Homeless or not, he was someone’s son, or brother, or father…..whether or not he was a Ph.D wielding arrogant ass he was still someone’s family member. If you make fun of his death maybe you won’t mind the rest of us rubbing it in your face when YOUR family member dies? Deal?

Juma October 2, 2014 at 9:04 PM

You all need to SHUT UP and pay some damn respect. This ranting is pathetic. Absolutely heartless and pathetic. Stop it right now. A mans life was lost and all of us who were there will forever be changed. Pay some respect and shut up.

Darwin October 2, 2014 at 9:08 PM

#42 & #43 You two are enablers. All I read were excuses. There is a time in someone’s life when they have to take responsibility. You two are part of the problem #50 you are not very bright you missed the topic and went to law school. The first attorney who can’t make a living off another persons misfortune. Some people can’t handle the truth. Too funny.

Concord Grape October 2, 2014 at 9:13 PM

Green, you are sooooo funny Homeless? Did you post this from under a bridge? What “:Law Scool” did you attend? Looks like spelling was not your strong “soot.”

Jenn October 2, 2014 at 9:25 PM

I heard all the sirens this morning I should have checked to see what was going on.

jenn October 2, 2014 at 9:26 PM

Darwin really..I work in the population now..not only are there a large number of vets not all of them are drunk or on drugs. People are so stereo typical and mean..mental health plays a huge part but how would u know your too busy judging.thank goodness it wasn’t one of ur relatives.

jenn October 2, 2014 at 9:29 PM

Just because your homeless dosent mean you can’t have Internet access..some of you people on here are ignorant

Dennis October 2, 2014 at 9:38 PM

let’s not be prematurely harsh on “Green” … it is entirely possible he has a perfectly adequate “it’s not my fault!” explanation for why he’s homeless.

Maybe he just got out of prison and registered as a sexual predator, and no-one will rent to him or hire him. After all, it is them, not him, responsible for his being a social pariah.

Dennis October 2, 2014 at 9:41 PM

@Tom “It doesn’t matter if addiction is a self inflicted disorder or a disease. ”

It matters a whole lot when you decide who is responsible for his condition and care.

Darwin October 2, 2014 at 9:53 PM

#58 Jenn. Drug addiction causes mental illness. And for the record, I do not judge, I just hold people accountable for their behaviors. I don’t believe in excuses. If there are homeless veterans in the population now, I stand corrected, that was not the case when I work with this population less than two years ago

Jesse October 2, 2014 at 10:04 PM

The Contra Costa Times website identified the victim as 59 year old Jerry Saucer of Concord.

Tom October 2, 2014 at 10:23 PM

Dennis, I’m a bottom line person. And the bottom line is GET SOME HELP.

I don’t care how you got there, who gave you the money, whether or you were enabled.

The only person responsible is THE ADDICT. I hold people responsible for their behaviors as well.

I couldn’t care less if it’s a self inflicted disorder or a disease.

slagheap October 2, 2014 at 10:51 PM

not surprising considering the typical speed on clayton road is about 65 mph, east and west.

Dennis October 2, 2014 at 11:48 PM

@Tom good answer

Nadia October 2, 2014 at 11:58 PM

As someone who lives right off Clayton Road, I see jaywalkers every day, endangering themselves and others because they are too lazy to cross at the crosswalk to get to the liquor store.
I’m so sick of it! Just yesterday, an intoxicated bum was weaving towards me while I was driving in the slow lane, playing chicken with my car! The homeless are everywhere I look nowadays, this has become a big problem that desperately needs addressing. They are always drunk or on drugs, and harassing everyone around them. Just in the last week, besides the bum playing chicken, I witnessed a homeless woman drunk and screaming cuss words at a child in the Dollar Store, and another drug addict man on a bike trying to run a young girl off the sidewalk and grab at her. I pulled my car over and yelled at him to leave her alone. She looked frightened. I’m afraid for what my children are going to grow up around. I fear for their safety with these homeless vagrants everywhere, thieving, causing blight and other problems.
My sympathies for the driver. He doesn’t deserve this. One bum down, hundreds more to go…

Anon October 3, 2014 at 7:47 AM

Darwin you are an uneducated heartless fool. (and you use to work with the homeless population?) A lot of the homeless with mental illness are self medicating with drugs. Educate yourself! Or maybe someone close to you will show signs of schizophrenia or some other mental illness and you will become educated the hard way. Good luck with that! That man was somebody’s son, family. You don’t know what his issues were. Shame on all of you for speculating.

The Grant October 3, 2014 at 8:37 AM

Right of way by tonnage…

Anon October 3, 2014 at 8:53 AM

@Tom and Dennis

You are another pair of uneducated fools!!! I can’t wait until someone close to you has mental illness and you struggle to get them help. Struggle to get them to understand that they have a mental illness. It isn’t always as easy as just GET SOME HELP. Karma is coming for the both of you.

Pyrrhus October 3, 2014 at 9:19 AM

@Dennis a veteran doesn’t have to be a Vietnam veteran. There are vets from the first Iraqi war, vets from Afghanistan, and vets from the 2nd Iraq war. Technically, anyone that has served in the military is considered a veteran. So, you can’t really tell who is a vet and who isn’t simply by their age.

Tom October 3, 2014 at 10:22 AM

@ Anon—70

Actually, I’m well educated and entitled to my opinion.

Darwin October 3, 2014 at 10:38 AM

#68 Anon
I did work with the homeless (drug addicts) population for a LONG time. I watched them manipulate the system for years. The % with real mental illness is so small it is barely worth mentioning. And YES I have watched perfectly normal people fry themselves with drugs. The self medicating debate has gone on for years and is BS. The homeless shelters have case workers to get them any service they need on the publics dime. The fist thing the worker does if believe there BS story and try to get them on some form of SSI disability. When they get denied they contest the decision. Then they get paid and party on that money like rock stars and will pan handle when they run out. They also stay at the homeless shelter for free. I wish I could name names (30+), it would blow your mind. I tried to place an SSI drug addict into treatment but he REFUSED because they would get the SSI money while he was in there.

My favorite thing is when it gets cold and rainy outside, addicts will call 911 and complain of chest pains. an ambulance will come and drive them to the hospital on the publics dime. when I asked them about this they say I just wanted three hots and cot. They do this over and over causing tens of thousands of dollars of cost to us tax payers..

Anon you are an enabler, don’t believe everything you read. Learn to think for yourself. The addict way of life is a lifestyle (choice). They love people like you who give them excuses, sympathy and money. I feel sorry for you, you are pathetic. read between the lines.

FYI, the majority of the homeless (addicts) are criminals that have burned every bridge. Been to treatment dozens of time (Prop 36), And if you are a criminal you can clean up your record by filing a “Change of Plea” to get your charges reduced and dismissed as long as the any victims are made whole. NO EXCUSES!!

I may be heartless at times Anon, but you are the uneducated fool 🙂

Chris K October 3, 2014 at 10:41 AM

@Dennis? Only problem with you comment is I never said V.N. Vet. I said “Vet” . But you missed my point. He was a Human and it is sad
. Not a joke. Some people put less value on another life because T hey are worse off than they are. At least for now. And that is wrong.

Judy October 3, 2014 at 11:23 AM

HEY ANON

Alcoholism, drug addiction and mental illness are all chronic, treatable health conditions.

If mental illness runs in your family I understand your “oversensitivity,” but taking it out on Claycord bloggers isn’t the answer.

“Get some help” is a positive step in the right direction. It’s not a negative, and no one said it’s easy. Life in general will never be easy.

You’re an enabler, and not the sharpest tool in the shed.

Psychiatrists and medication will help the mentally ill, but only if they want help.

Making excuses for them is not the answer.

Anon October 3, 2014 at 11:38 AM

@Darwin

No enabler here. I don’t speak for all the homeless population as you do. Yes there are those that abuse the system and just not the homeless population. BUT, there are those that need those services and should have access to them. Especially those with mental illness. I’m sorry you worked for the county and feel the need to spew your BS here to the public. I know first hand that those programs do a lot of good as well. It’s too bad that you can’t share any of that here.

The Grant October 3, 2014 at 11:54 AM

Our system in the US enables people and turns them into lazy lap dogs.

If homeless in Russia, you die…full stop

Platypus October 3, 2014 at 11:58 AM

#73
Don’t doubt you have seen or heard these stories….some do take advantage and those that dont, make difference and move on fast. Sorry you were not touched by some positive. Id be jaded too.
How long ago and where did this happen? I recall this type of this thing in the 80s and 90s in a big city. SFO to be specific. No one likes sleeping in shelters unless they are obtunded with alcohol. Three hots and a cot? Sounds UK…never once heard this term in bay area or coco county. Most comment they do not care for shelters because they get raped or robbed (true).

FYI.. This is todays popular article, comes up as newsworthy today for all to read 😉

Pyrrhus October 3, 2014 at 12:37 PM

@77 Fine, you go live in Russia. As for me, I’d rather live in a country that has a safety net and takes care of it’s people.

VikingPrincess October 3, 2014 at 2:08 PM

#79
Yes! Thank you for saying it. I love the USA and am grateful for all she has to offer.Proud to be American!

The Grant October 3, 2014 at 2:24 PM

My post is not about ‘liking’ or ‘supporting’ a particular country. My post is about self-preservation and one own ability to make life changing decisions

nee October 3, 2014 at 4:49 PM

ChrisK said it best!!! I LIVE ON CLAYTON RD EVERYBODY THINKS IT’S THE INDY 500 #black Mustang! !!

Lisa October 3, 2014 at 11:35 PM

@ Dennis, Though your math is great on this there are exceptions to every rule, my Bio father is a Nam Vet he is 61 years old.

MEe October 4, 2014 at 6:52 AM

I believe you can be 59 today and be a VN Vet. But it is true many had very different experiences in Nam. My friend is a Viet Nam Vet but served very late in the war, is 59 a matter of fact, and is still a VN vet. However, my uncle served in the late 60’s and was a tunnel rat and had agent orange sprayed on him and suffered for years. People still called him names. It sickened me. A man who fought and served well being trashed for a condition his own government/military sprayed over his head. As many others. SO yes some VN Vets had it a lot tougher in VN. But I would never assume to know what they experienced there. Even if late in the war, no less a VN vet imo.

Terry Kremin October 5, 2014 at 5:25 AM

Sad day for all involved. Kudos to the driver for topping and being a responsible driver and stopping and cooperating.