Sign-Ups Begin for Free BART Rides for Field Trips Thanks to Funding from the Monterey Bay Aquarium

September 3, 2014 14:20 pm · 14 comments

bart1

Registration is now underway for the 2014 “Free BART Rides for School Field Trips” program.

Approximately 40,000 Bay Area students (up to age 18), teachers and chaperones will have the opportunity to ride BART free for educational field trips thanks to a partnership with Monterey Bay Aquarium, which is funding the program.

Beginning today, Bay Area schools may apply for free BART rides for educational field trips online on a first-come, first-served basis. Registration ends December 31, 2014 or sooner if the program reaches 40,000 riders.

Enrolled students of elementary, middle, and high schools located in the Bay Area on school-sponsored field trips for educational purposes are eligible.

To better serve more students throughout the Bay Area, each school is limited to six field trips. This will allow more schools to participate in the program. To register, go to www.bart.gov/fieldtrips

“Partnering on ‘Free BART Rides for School Field Trips’ is a natural extension of our commitment to a making sure children in the region have a rich educational experience,” said Mimi Hahn, vice president of marketing and communications for the nonprofit aquarium.

Here is a list of some BARTable cultural and educational destinations:

1 Teacher Wannabe September 3, 2014 at 2:58 PM

Geat idea. Thanks BART!

2 Anon September 3, 2014 at 3:09 PM

It should be thanks Monterey Bay Aquarium. I think Bart should fund kids on field trips. I just have a problem with the funding coming from the aquarium. As a member of the aquarium since it’s inception they are always asking for money. I didn’t know I was funding outside the Monterey area. Don’t get me wrong. I am really happy that school children will get to ride Bart on field trips. Just surprised where the funding is coming from.

3 Elwood September 3, 2014 at 3:09 PM

Did a sergeant approve this offer?

4 !!! September 3, 2014 at 3:16 PM

That’s fantastic!

5 Marianne September 3, 2014 at 3:54 PM

You have to smile at this, these places have been around for years and no one knew they were accessible by BART…

6 J. September 3, 2014 at 5:28 PM

I wish BART would give away free tickets to the Monterey Bay Aquarium. Those suckers are $50 a pop.

7 Michelle(original) September 3, 2014 at 5:43 PM

This is great they’re offering this discount to schools around the bay area.

8 Easr Bay Babe September 3, 2014 at 6:16 PM

Does BART travel to Monterey ?

9 Julio September 3, 2014 at 6:45 PM

All these years my grandkids schools have been trying to pay, which has been a struggle, Thank you Monterey Bay Aquarium. Sorry Bart never thought of this themselves. Oh, right, they are idiots.

10 Dude September 4, 2014 at 7:51 AM

That’s Cool, but I’m just a little confused as to why Monterrey bay aquarium is funding this. I am a member and live in claycord but I like to see my donations stay where I give them.

11 cat lady September 4, 2014 at 2:51 PM

I agree with anon!

12 Aldrige Family September 4, 2014 at 3:04 PM

I’m glad Bart is not offering this “free” that would just mean the rest of us would be picking up the tap (as usual). Thanks Monterrey Bay aquarium.

13 Anon September 11, 2014 at 12:19 PM

I spoke to Monterey Bay aquarium for a clarification. They bought advertising for the trains and decorated a station. They paid for this. BART used this money for the field trips. Monterey Bay Aquarium had no input for how the money would be used. This is FYI. I am not against helping children travel to interesting places. I just wondered why Monterey Bay Aquarium would do this because I am a donor. By the way Monterey Bay Aquarium does fund busses for field trips to the aquarium. I am not sure how close the school must be.

14 Isabelle September 16, 2014 at 1:07 AM

I hope the schools are taking full advantage of this.