PLEASE READ: A NOTE TO A FEW MEMBERS OF THE MEDIA IN THE SAN FRANCISCO BAY AREA

September 3, 2014 7:12 am · 37 comments

claycord_com

This is a note to a few members of the media in the San Francisco Bay Area.

Please read.

If you want to use a photo from Claycord.com, Claycord (Twitter) or Claycord (Facebook), please ask permission. 99% of the time, we will say yes, but please ask by emailing news@claycord.com. Once permission is granted, we will then tell you how to give proper credit to Claycord.com.

Please do not place your logo on any photo provided by Claycord.com. If you cannot go without placing your logo on the photo, then you cannot use the photo.

If you get a story or story idea from Claycord.com, please do not post a comment under the story with your phone number & email address, asking to interview our readers, especially if you don’t plan to give credit to Claycord.com

If you need more information on a story, please email news@claycord.com.

We all work hard at Claycord.com to get news, photos, newstips, and information. We realize this is a feeder site for larger media, but that does not mean you can take our property without our permission, or solicit our readers for your benefit, without crediting Claycord.com.

If you have any questions, please send an email to news@claycord.com and a member of our staff will get back to you as soon as possible.

We very much appreciate those of you who do take the time to ask permission to use photos, information, etc. This note is not directed towards you.

Thank you for reading, and we look forward to working with you in the future.

1 94598 September 3, 2014 at 7:19 AM

You go girl !!

2 Chevelle girl September 3, 2014 at 7:32 AM

Give credit where credit is due!

3 Justin September 3, 2014 at 7:33 AM

I would like to hear about the offenders. Boycotts and public outcry is fun and effective.

4 Cowellian September 3, 2014 at 7:33 AM

I’d love to know the story behind this post. A lot of the pictures on my website say “courtesy of the Mayor of Claycord”.

5 Marissa September 3, 2014 at 7:43 AM

Always cite the author.

6 Me September 3, 2014 at 7:48 AM

I was surprised her comment was posted un-moderated. Maybe before allowing the post contact the reporter and get written confirmation that the story will give proper credits.

The problem with photos is that unless Claycord’s TOS says that photos become the property of the blog, then Claycord doesn’t own the photos either, only permission to re-print them. The media is betting individuals who take photos that are posted here won’t come after them over rights & permissions issues. The implications of having one’s photos posted here should be made very clear to Claycord’s contributors.

Eventually, every business (including this one) needs to have a lawyer on retainer…

7 Shasta Daisy September 3, 2014 at 7:50 AM

I totally agree!

8 THE CONCORDIAN September 3, 2014 at 7:52 AM

The Mayor is gracious with his permissions, but often his stories can be seen in some print and TV stories without the attribution or permissions obtained. Given the scope of his reach with news items, its not surprising that his content is much sought after. Nonetheless, permission is always needed and attribution should always be granted.

The Concordian is always grateful for the courtesy extended by the Mayor for our publication. A good post and reminder!

9 yoda September 3, 2014 at 7:55 AM

so true…go claycord!…

10 John Tenney September 3, 2014 at 7:57 AM

It is so discouraging that this kind of request is necessary! The music business, in which I have worked for almost 45 years, is full of similar dishonesty. I used to do booking for weddings and parties, when I would furnish talent for events. Sometimes, leaders of said talent would give out their own cards on the job (instead of mine, the normal protocol) to solicit future business! That’s a no-brainer, how wrong it is, but I had to stop sending out some very fine musicians because of it… I hope your remarks have an effect, and that you don’t have to resort to legal action.

11 ale September 3, 2014 at 8:01 AM

I always notice when the media jumps on something reported here. It happens all the time.

12 Cautiously Informed September 3, 2014 at 8:05 AM

The news media is unscrupulous? Say it isn’t so!

13 itsme September 3, 2014 at 8:27 AM

I’ve heard, I believe KGO and KTVU give credit to Claycord.com when they use a picture from the site. You do need a lawyer, sad to say.

14 1-800-LAWYER-4-U September 3, 2014 at 8:27 AM

Do you have a blog? Have you been the victim of blog-thievery and/or blogsphomy? Do people solicit your readers on your blog? You need to call me.

1-800-LAWYER-4-U. That’s one, eight hundred, “lawyer”, the number four, and the letter “U”. You don’t actually have to dial the “U”, but you DO, need to call ME. You need to call me.

15 nytemuvr September 3, 2014 at 8:40 AM

@1-800-LAWYER-4-U #14
Just “Call Saul”…..

16 wait... September 3, 2014 at 8:51 AM

Claycord has a STAFF? I thought the Mayor was just one guy. You mean to tell me there IS no Mayor, that he is just a fictional mascot dreamed up by a corporate focus group?

17 Random Task September 3, 2014 at 9:00 AM

stand your ground guys …..they lack the skills to be a real news supplier they are controlled by the dems which is why they believe they can take what ever they want. knock em down a notch we love this site because it cares about us and informs without bias ………

18 Random Task September 3, 2014 at 9:02 AM

@15 lol yeah its a council who get lifetime benefits at the cost of the tax payers………wooohooo……..feed your brain …..it likes it

19 Random Task September 3, 2014 at 9:03 AM

oooops@16

20 anonalon September 3, 2014 at 9:10 AM

channel 4 scraped the truck fire the other day … their logo and all.

21 Tom September 3, 2014 at 9:48 AM

Give credit where credit is due. Personally and professionally.

22 Chestnut Speedbumps September 3, 2014 at 9:49 AM

Perfect segment idea for “People Behaving Badly”!!

23 Robert September 3, 2014 at 10:00 AM

Stick it to the man!

24 Sacto Rob September 3, 2014 at 11:42 AM

If several members of the media are this unscrupulous when it comes to the fundamentals of their industry, what does that tell you about the quality of the content they produce on a regular basis? For most modern-day reporters, they believe their job is to read and regurgitate government-issued press releases with no thought or analysis on their part. Real reporters, the kind remembered today such as Edward R. Murrow, evaluated information presented to them, dug up more info when needed, then wrote stories that reflected their larger understanding of events. That’s why those guys are remembered, and why nobody is going to mourn the loss of the pitiful hacks who pass themselves off as reporters, today.

25 Russ September 3, 2014 at 11:52 AM

# of times per week I get my news from Claycord: 247
# of times per week I get my news from other sources: ZERO

26 ConcordMike September 3, 2014 at 12:46 PM

Being a past freelance photographer in Sacramento, I can relate to this story. I feel sorry for the freelancers today. EVERYBODY has a camera nowadays. No way to make money in that profession any more. And most people will submit their photos not knowing they can make money from their images if they desired to.

27 Mee September 3, 2014 at 1:38 PM

The Mayor and Claycord is always fair and strait forward and I would expect others to be the same to Claycord.com.

28 Pretty sure the Mayor is a woman. September 3, 2014 at 1:40 PM

But go ahead and keep calling her a dude.

29 Cat Wrangler September 3, 2014 at 2:59 PM

Whether reporter, network producer or soccer mom, we all get the first word in local news and trends from Claycord.com.

30 Suzanne September 3, 2014 at 3:02 PM

Remember to cite your sources!

31 Mrs T September 3, 2014 at 3:36 PM

This is the best place to get any info. I rarely hear something local on the news that I haven’t heard here first. Great reporting & I agree Claycord should get the credit!

32 Crooks September 3, 2014 at 3:39 PM

Good luck with this, people are always taking ideas as their own and there’s not much you can do about it. That’s just journalism, ugly as it can be.

Where does Claycord get it’s news source?

33 MadMom September 3, 2014 at 7:20 PM

Well said Mayor. An apology would be nice too :)

34 I'm The Urban Spaceman September 3, 2014 at 10:59 PM

Call 7 on Your Side.

35 Chris September 4, 2014 at 6:48 AM

I was at a flea market once and saw some of my Own artwork being sold in frames. I talked to the person selling the stuff, but they could not speak English. They said… I was going to sue but would end up costing me my time and money for probably nothing. Was actually kind of honored. But ya, lots of intellectual rip-offs out there. I even got a threatening email once to cease and desists using one of my Own paintings. LOL

36 THE MAYOR'S NOT A MAN????! September 4, 2014 at 3:13 PM

Oh, no, how can I replace my fantasy figure? HE was all sexy and stuff sitting at HIS computer.

Now he’s turning into a woman…. that’s just not right.

37 Shim September 4, 2014 at 4:03 PM

I’ve always thought the mayor was a male. Am I wrong?