10th Annual Recovery Walk Supports Contra Costa Residents Overcoming Addiction

September 3, 2014 20:00 pm · 18 comments

recovery_walk

Contra Costa Health Services (CCHS) encourages everyone to join a walk through downtown Martinez and celebration for people who are recovering from addiction to alcohol or other drugs.

Festivities include food, music, booths and speakers. Admission is free, and free lunches and wristbands will be provided to the first 500 registered participants. The first 450 registrants may also receive an event T-shirt (the organizer requests a $5 donation).

Anyone who is in recovery, supporting someone in recovery or who wants to offer support is welcome.

WHEN: 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday, September 20. Registration begins at 9 a.m. on the day of the event.

WHERE: Martinez Waterfront Park, Ferry Street and Joe DiMaggio Drive, Martinez.

WHY: September is National Recovery Month, an observance to encourage people who are recovering from addiction to alcohol and other drugs, promote treatment and recovery options, and urge the community to help prevent alcohol and drug abuse.

For more information about alcohol and other drugs services in Contra Costa County, visit cchealth.org/aod.

1 TraumaRx September 3, 2014 at 8:18 PM

Addiction is not a chemical imbalance. It’s by choice and for the weak minded.

2 Michelle(original) September 3, 2014 at 8:33 PM

Excellent venue! Has my full support.

3 A.mom September 3, 2014 at 9:52 PM

sometimes- not always the case BUT some people become addicts because the have a mental problem that was never treated (therapy etc) and they will self medicate looking for answeres and then addictions begins. This event shows people there is a way out and they can make it in the world. Life after drugs and alcohol is possible.

4 ConcordMike September 3, 2014 at 9:58 PM

Just wondering how many will want everyone else to know about their addiction.

5 Mimi (original) September 3, 2014 at 10:27 PM

Just because you walk to support recovery doesn’t mean you’re in recovery yourself; it’s good to support folks who have overcome or are overcoming trials and difficulties in their lives! Walk for support!!

6 The Old Drunk September 3, 2014 at 10:59 PM

September is a good month for National Recovery Month because on September 22, 1981 I had my last drink.

7 LostBoysMom September 4, 2014 at 10:26 AM

@TraumaRx- You obviously know nothing about addiction. Try educating yourself before spouting ignorant and derogatory things.

8 instagramma September 4, 2014 at 10:39 AM

@1 TROLL

9 ChampagneKitty September 4, 2014 at 10:46 AM

to The Old Drunk: Congratulations on your 33 years of sobriety! That’s terrific.

10 Mamatosix September 4, 2014 at 12:26 PM

Thank you for sharing this. What a great thing to bring people together for a cause that rips so many families apart and so so many people, esp children suffer in silence with.

11 Mamatosix September 4, 2014 at 12:30 PM

@ Lost Boys Mom exactly!
Addicts and Alcoholics are some of the most amazing people. I always say Addiction causes awesome people to be blind to their own greatness.
How sad that some people cannot understand what addiction is all about.
Sad sad sad stuff that requires compassion and tough love all at once.
I do not excuse behavior around it but I love the addict because I know they are in more pain than they can ever cause.

12 Silva September 4, 2014 at 1:31 PM

Wow, not too many ignoramus/holier than thou posts! Awesome! Who among us haven’t suffered the trauma of addiction, either our own or that of someone close? I dare say few. Very few.

13 Anon September 4, 2014 at 3:19 PM

My hope is that addicts do not feel shame about their addiction and society learns to better understand addiction and that it affects the best of people.

Many say it is a choice. Addicts make the choice to say no thousands of times each day. Not many of us could be that strong in our weaknesses, and our one yes does not devastate our lives and those we love.

14 Phantom's Phather September 4, 2014 at 3:57 PM

My son will not be there because he hasn’t beaten his addiction. I can tell that his many rants and crazy sounding comments are written while he’s drunk, and it breaks my heart.
AA works but people need to make it work for themselves.

15 Rollo Tomasi September 4, 2014 at 4:59 PM

Is it possible to get addicted to something if you never try it in the first place?

16 Atticus Thraxx September 4, 2014 at 5:14 PM

Substance abuse and addiction is but one symptom of human frailty. One of many.

17 Great Orgranizatioin September 5, 2014 at 2:24 PM

Knowing that you have the support of the community is huge. The recovery walk is a great way for people to come together and not feel shamed about their situation.

@Rollo Tomasi- You may not know you have an addiction prone personality until you start to use. I am not an addict, but I have used various drugs throughout my life. I have friends who have used less and have had issues with addiction.

To the haters out there who can’t help but find something wrong with anything positive, I’d like to say, “If you can’t say anything nice, then go back under your bridge.”

18 realist September 5, 2014 at 4:17 PM

@1 –
Obviously you have no idea what you are talking about… Addiction is an ugly thing, and very hard for families, children, friends, and of course, the person who is addicted. Our society needs to recognize that treatment is possible, and it is not a death sentence.
Of course, people would like to differentiate between alcoholism & drug addiction, when in fact, they are the same. Alcohol kills people every single day, whether it is by self destruction, ie: cirrhosis of the liver, etc… or drunk drivers who kill people on the road. The only difference is that alcohol is legal. I think a lot of people use that as an excuse for their excessive drinking. But who am I to judge? I am in recovery, and know firsthand that unless somebody wants help, and is willing to do the work, then treatment will not work. BUT, when the circumstances are right, and somebody is READY to overcome their addiction, it is a blessing to find a program or meeting to help deal with the issues that led to using in the first place, and trying to put the pieces of their lives back together.
It takes a lot of courage to change your life, and I will be there to support others & myself in overcoming our addictions!
Too bad that the very first person who posted just happened to be a jerk!