UPDATE: Earthquake Quiets the Coyotes Near Pine Hollow Rd. in Concord

September 1, 2014 · 14 comments

Last week, one Claycordian asked residents in the area of Pine Hollow Dr. in Concord if they’ve heard several coyotes howling at night.

Several of you reported you had heard them, but it seems as though one incident has quieted the coyotes.

Here’s an update from the person who original inquiry….

I read quite a few responses /comments and it seems I wasn’t the only one to hear them. One person said they actually saw one on the corner of Rolling woods near the tennis courts. I thought for a while they were foraging for food as a neighbor here has chickens in their yard but I did some research and found that they were most like feeling the seismic activity going on long before we felt it. I haven’t heard a peep since the earthquake!

Interesting. Thanks for the follow-up response!

1 PC September 1, 2014 at 2:28 PM

I have always held out the hope that our pets might pick up on the preliminary waves of an earthquake. No such luck last week. No dogs were barking around Myrtle Dr. but our cat was in the garage and she was upset–afterward. I would be curious to hear what others experienced with their pets.

2 Reluctant farmer September 1, 2014 at 2:49 PM

no pets here however we did notice something odd for several days before that quake…..a young doe and fawn and young buck kept visiting our yard here in WC…thouught they made an odd trio as the doe too young to be the bucks mom and yet he was very young and should have been on his ownT.he other odd thing was some hen turkeys and one lone very new chick…usually chicks are seen in May. then to top off things a very scraggly coyote showed up. Such bad shape we were sure he was gonna die in our yard! Have never had one here before. Now they are all gone!

3 ale September 1, 2014 at 3:01 PM

My cat slept right through the earthquake.

4 Jp September 1, 2014 at 3:01 PM

Our dog did nothing.

5 Antler September 1, 2014 at 3:09 PM

I was the only one who awakened!

6 @ September 1, 2014 at 3:11 PM

Our cats freaked out! They have been on edge ever since the earthquake….

7 Mee September 1, 2014 at 3:13 PM

All three of our cats were on our bed the night before and the night of the quake. We have strange cats though that actually keep lookout and protect the house. I think since we live next to so much open space, they have too to be on their toes for wild animals all the time. So they may have sensed this as well. Depends on the role your animal has I think, or where you live. They knew it was coming I we think. btw I have not heard them either in Martinez. Since the quake. But there has been stretches where I could not hear them, then they come back. I have a deer cam photo of two coyotes in our back yard from a couple years ago. So the cats always alert us of visitors or danger..

8 Julio September 1, 2014 at 4:54 PM

Our dog was a basket case two days before and a few after. Now he is fine. It woke us up and the dog was hiding under the covers. All our dogs over the years have been like that.

9 Mark B September 1, 2014 at 8:51 PM

All my cats were normal before the quake. I back up to open space… Nothing unusual with the wildlife that wander through.
We did have a story on here about water lines breaking in several areas in claycord the day before the quake hit. May be a connection there.

10 lake September 1, 2014 at 9:14 PM

MASSIVE SOLAR FLARE AND CORONAL MASS EJECTION – may be EARTHQUAKE WARNING. http://youtu.be/xjEe__WlqFg

11 Odd behavior days before September 1, 2014 at 9:53 PM

We had the same experience as Julio did- our dog was acting very anxious, pacing in the yard, and just running around like a worried mess for two days before the earthquake. Then surprisingly she didn’t move or bark or anything as it happened-slept through it fine. After the quake, she was back to normal again. So strange!!!!

12 Marianne September 1, 2014 at 10:58 PM

Dogs are special, they can feel when something is not quite right, sort of like old bad blood. But they can be tolerant when treated right. In general..

13 mwo1859 September 2, 2014 at 9:16 AM

You live in an area with coyotes and bobcats. WHY in the hell would you have chickens??????????

14 Rebecca September 3, 2014 at 2:34 AM

They sure aren’t quiet tonight. They woke me up @ 2:13 and were sounded like they were right in front of our house.