Column: “Smart Paws” on Claycord – Friends from the Shelter

August 27, 2014 · 13 comments

Hi Pet Loving Claycordians!

So how many of you attended the volunteer orientation on the 16th? I did and it was quite literally standing room only. What a great turnout – so many people wanting to help the animals at the shelter. Whether you’re a cat or a dog lover, there is something for you at the shelter. We’ll keep you posted when the next one is scheduled in case you missed this one.

The shelter desperately needs help with those that directly interact with the public and the animals. Less volunteers = less adoptions. What if every visitor to the shelter was greeted by a trained volunteer with knowledge of the dogs or cats the people came to see?

They also need help staffing more mobile adoptions. These dogs and cats aren’t getting the exposure they deserve within the confines of the shelter walls. We need them to get out and interacting with the public. These are just two of the ways you can help. A third way you can help doesn’t require any formal volunteering application or anything. It is simply using your voice and if you have social media, the use of your voice online. SHARE SHARE SHARE the photos and stories! Tell all your friends to ADOPT A SHELTER DOG or CAT!

There are several Facebook and Twitter groups/accounts that share these shelter animals routinely. Including of course, Smart Paws. Like us online, and please help share the animals you see. You never know where that connection will be found. The shelter has very few resources to expose these animals to the masses, but together, we have the power of sheer numbers. Think about it. Start by liking: Smart Paws Facebook Page. Then SHARE!

This week, at the moment of this posting, there are almost 200 dogs at the Martinez Shelter. Too many. And too many means they will have to start to “make room” for more. It’s not good. Every week there are dozens of dogs and cats entering the system, in fact, look at these intake numbers from just last week. Shameful really that as a community we let this happen. Sure some are strays that will be reunited (hopefully) but microchipping, collars/tags, spay/neuter and better care/supervision will go a long way to stopping the strays.

smartpaws1

So, having said that, two of the longest doggie residents of the shelter NEED OUR HELP. They’ve been featured in my past articles and to date, no adoption or rescue has stepped forward for poor Khali or Hercules. Both are “seniors” but still worthy and deserving of love and a forever home. You may remember that Hercules came in with brother, Zeus, confiscated from “inhumane” conditions. Zeus found his forever home, but Hercules is waiting for his turn. Both are running out of time. Here’s some more info, directly from the shelter volunteers and staff:

“KHALI ID # A768685. She may not be the “young cute” puppy that many come looking for, but we believe she is just about the BEST DOG around. Her personality is what makes her special, and that is hard to see when just walking by her kennel. Please take a minute to watch & SHARE the video, then come into the shelter to meet her in person. Her smile and love of everyone is what makes this one truly beautiful. She is the “volunteer pick” and ALL adoption fees will be waived for a good home – So Please SHARE and help this beautiful, loving girl find the home she deserves.” Khali’s video: MEET KHALI

“HERCULES ID # A768345 thinks it is his turn to find a forever home – Can you provide Hercules with a loving forever home? This sweet senior has enough energy for a good daily walk, but is mellow enough to be a great snuggler – Please come adopt Hercules.”

smartpaws2

If you go to the Smart Paws FACEBOOK page, like us and look for this same collage, we will have the link to each of these pup’s www.PetHarbor.com profile.

August shelter promotion: Free spay/neuter for all pit bull or pit bull mix. Free cats over 7 yrs old. Kittens $50.

You can visit and adopt dogs, cats and bunnies at either shelter (Martinez or Pinole). You’ll find cats at the shelters and at Pet Food Express in Walnut Creek, Petsmart in Concord and Rodies in Clayton. The Martinez shelter is located at 4800 Imhoff Place. You can call them at (925) 335-8300. Shelter hours are Tuesday – Saturday 10am-5pm, Wednesday 10am-7pm and Sunday 12pm-3pm. If you are interested in a dog or cat you see online, please don’t wait. If you can’t go down right away, call them and let them know you are interested in a particular animal as they can add a note to the file. There are no guarantees of a happy outcome for pets at the shelter, but with your help, we can do more! We can share this information. We can adopt. We can foster. We can save lives and make a difference.

1 Tom August 27, 2014 at 7:24 PM

My wife and friends were there.

I wish spay/neuter was free for everyone, regardless of animal or breed. Those who can least afford it are less likely to spay and neuter.

Our friends and family adopt shelter animals….and so do we.

2 Julio August 27, 2014 at 7:43 PM

I would like to know the breeds of the dogs. Most shelters have an excessive amount of Pit bulls and Chihuahuas. You can all jump me but I am against keeping these dogs in the shelter forever like Antioch does. There is a state law that none of you seem to know that requires you keep things moving along. The cost is outrageous to the tax payers.

3 Kayla August 27, 2014 at 8:47 PM

Awww, they both look like such sweethearts.. breaks my heart to see all these amazing dogs who just want a loving home. Pitbulls deserve a home just as much as any other breed does. I had a pitbull and he was the sweetest dog I have ever had. All he wanted to do was give us love. I wish I could provide them all a perfect home. PLEASE adopt from the animal shelters if you’re planning on getting an animal. Too many don’t make it out of there :( Its just not fair.

4 DontBullyPitbulls August 27, 2014 at 8:49 PM

Its the owners that are at fault for any aggression coming from any breed of animal. All they know is to love until someone teaches them otherwise. They aren’t aggressive for no reason.

5 Momo August 27, 2014 at 10:01 PM

Every one of my pets have been adopted from the animal shelter. I have never been sorry. They are the best.

6 GGG August 27, 2014 at 10:07 PM

I’ve adopted two adult cats from the Martinez shelter and an adult dog (7 years old) through a rescue group. All three are wonderful pets (as I write this they are curled up on my bed with me and my dog is curled up on her bed on the floor). They provide me with so much joy and they just want to be loved. I have learned so much from them. Humans have so much power over these beautiful creatures and it’s time for us to step up and take care of them. Every morning and early evening I take a walk with my dog and it’s one of the highlights of my day. Just makes all the stress melt away.

7 anon August 27, 2014 at 11:51 PM

i stopped in there today to see Lovo and man man who’s pics are on this site. i heard that there’s an issue with his owner and fees, but that another family member wants to get him out so that’s good. I hope she’s able to come up with the funds, he needs fixed first.
This kittens were adorable but the older ones were too. There were a couple I’d take home. I like that you get more of an idea of their personality when they’re older.

8 anonalon August 28, 2014 at 8:03 AM

Anon, Lovo was rescued ! By a bonafide rescue. :) Happy days to Lovo!

9 DogLover August 28, 2014 at 8:32 AM

@anonalon: Thank you for the good news about Lovo. He’s absolutely gorgeous.

I’m going to a rescue shelter tomorrow to adopt a dog that I have had my eye on for a couple of weeks.

10 anonalon August 28, 2014 at 9:16 AM

DogLover, a rescue shelter?

I like to adopt at the county shelters, the ones that kill the animals. The dogs at ARF and the rescues are safe. Though adopting from them too is very admirable as it opens up space so they can rescue more.

Either way, thank you for saving a life!!

11 PitDisliker August 28, 2014 at 11:03 AM

Don’t put Pits in shelters..put them down! I’m the opposite of a Pit Lover. I don’t care how “lovable” owners say they are. ugh! Digusting!!

12 anonalon August 28, 2014 at 11:33 AM

Just shows your ignorance “Pitignoramous”

13 animalluvr August 29, 2014 at 5:12 AM

It is so wonderful to read about all of the great folks on Claycord who have adopted from shelters! Put a big smile on my face, just like my babies do every single day. My pets have helped me through the death of my husband, dealing with the loss of a job, and the fact that I am living with a terminal disease. (hence loss of job) They give me a reason to go out of the house for a walk when I just would not do otherwise, and I always feel reenergized once I get out there.
Soooo….
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE! if you are looking for a new furry member of your family adopt at a shelter!
I ALWAYS share this with EVERYONE I know or even meet on the street/parks/etc. while walking my beautiful senior shepherd mix, Sadie .Who I adopted from the Martinez shelter four years ago. She is the first “senior” that I have adopted, I usually go for the 3-4 year old dogs, past the puppy stage, but still young, but this girl just had such a sweet disposition, and when we went outside to visit she came right up to me, and sat with her head in my lap, how could I NOT fall in love at first sight??? She walks on the leash wonderfully, my cats love her, she was house trained, takes her treats like a true lady, what more could I want??? She is going to have a long, happy life with us! :)
I have never bought a dog from a breeder (or cat, for that matter) and so far, I have never regretted adopting any of them. There have been quite a few over the years, spanning back when I was a child & my mom & I went to the shelter to find our family dogs.
They are more intelligent than people give them credit for, I always have shared such a wonderful bond with my fury friends, I truly believe that they know that they were saved, and repay you with more love, and happiness than you could imagine. Shelter pets are the best!
As far as pits are concerned, I have met some wonderful ones, I have never owned one, because I believe that the owners are the ones that can either make them wonderful pets, or turn them into vicious dogs and I am not personally going to bring such a powerful animal that I do not know the history of into my home with my child, and other animals. (I have one large dog, three cats) If I lived alone, I would probably adopt or at least foster one, but that is a personal thing.
Shelter pets are the best, I hope that by running this article more people will consider going to the shelter before paying some breeder a ridiculous fee for a “purebred”
FYI.. Mixed breeds tend to be healthier, and not have a lot of the problems such a displasia (excuse my spelling) etc.. that some pure bred dogs are predisposed to.
Enough said, I just had to put my two bits in…
Now get out there and spread the word, folks!