BART Delays After Train Breaks Down in Transbay Tube

August 27, 2014 9:35 am · 28 comments

BART riders heading into San Francisco from the East Bay this morning can expect delays of up to 20 minutes because of an earlier problem with a train in the Transbay Tube, according to officials with the transit agency.

A train with mechanical problems was stuck in the Transbay Tube about a mile from the Embarcadero BART station as of 9:25 a.m., but had been moved as of 9:30 a.m., BART officials said.

BART riders from downtown Oakland heading toward SFO/Millbrae and Daly City are experiencing residual delays of about 15 to 20 minutes.

1 Commuter August 27, 2014 at 9:52 AM

I was on the train that broke down. We were in the tube for about 15 minutes with a faint odor of smoke, and the driver powered down the train and turned off the lights for about 5 minutes. Thank Jobs for the phone flashlight ap.

2 WC Resident August 27, 2014 at 10:08 AM

I have been on BART when we were stuck one time and there was smoke and the A/C went off without any explanation via BART personnel! Many people got very upset. I hope BART has improved this bad communication problem. Finally after about the same time 15 minutes we began moving. Still they never said a thing to us!! Also all the lights went off If you do not know what is wrong with darkness, smoke and shut down mode it is just terrible. I do not think I can forgive BART for that screw up!!

3 anon August 27, 2014 at 10:08 AM

No way will I ever take Bart to the airport- too unreliable.

4 Bummer August 27, 2014 at 10:37 AM

2 days in a row with bart troubles. I feel for those on the trains. I used to commute every day to SF. Miss those days, but I don’t miss bart.

5 So many problems, August 27, 2014 at 10:49 AM

water main breaks all over the place, Bart breakdowns, fires, car accidents, all around a big earthquake.

I am not superstitious, but it is indeed puzzling to see all these problems while the earth is moving. Coincidence? I believe so.

I hope no one is counting on Bart to get around on during any sort of calamity. Having ridden for about 10 years I learned an important lesson.

Bart does not run well when its really hot.

Bart does not run well when its really cold.

Bart does not run well when its raining. (heaven forbid if it snowed here)

Bart does maintenance when the weather is perfect, slowing the trains.

Bart cannot be relied upon as dependable transportation.

6 Silva August 27, 2014 at 10:54 AM

Now that’s when I get panicky.

7 Justin August 27, 2014 at 11:20 AM

I sure am glad we gave all those BART raises. Maintenance really showing their worth…

8 IMPORTANT LOUD SPEAKER ANNOUNCEMENT August 27, 2014 at 11:48 AM

“This train is having (garrrrble garrrble)… there’s smoke (garrrrble garrrble).. evacuate immediat.. (garrrble garrrrble).. east bound trains will be (garrrble garrrble)… cross to the other.. (garrrble garrrrble)… will leave in (garrrble garrrble) minutes. FOR YOUR SAFETY DO NOT (garrrrble garrrrble)… See station agent for (garrrrble garrrble).. Thank you for riding. (garrrrble garrrrble) and have a (garrrble garrrrble).

9 Buzzkill McGee August 27, 2014 at 11:49 AM

“Bart and you’re late.”

10 I agree with Justiin 7 August 27, 2014 at 11:57 AM

Pretty bad PR for those extortionist unions.

11 Joe Blow August 27, 2014 at 12:47 PM

Our infrastructure is breaking down. How old is BART??? When was the last time we (Democrat/Republican) as a nation did anything innovative or proactive for our nation? It amazes me how much money goes to our military to develop drones, obsolete, overpriced fighter jets to bring Democracy to Iraq and Afghanistan, while our infrastructure crumbles, breaks down around us!

12 CereBellum August 27, 2014 at 1:15 PM

The only place that I experienced Major panic attacks. Twice a day for years. The last time time, I was stuck under there for close to two hours. Took my “only take when it gets too bad, Valium”. Sat back and quit my job the next day. Have never been on BART since.

13 Elwood August 27, 2014 at 2:03 PM

The money that BART should have been spending on maintenance and the purchase of new equipment has gone into the pockets of the BART unions and their bought and paid for politicians.

It is a public shame.

14 Winn August 27, 2014 at 2:55 PM

OMG that’s my worst nightmare. That tunnel freaks me out on an average day traveling through……

15 Marianne August 27, 2014 at 3:16 PM

What is it that BART needs to do to keep these trains from breaking down!

16 Elwood August 27, 2014 at 3:17 PM

I’ve been working on the railroad (but not very hard or very well).

17 Mike Ro August 27, 2014 at 3:42 PM

Terrible and unacceptable to be stuck in a tube under the water in a broken train.

18 The Mamba August 27, 2014 at 3:48 PM

I pay $13 everyday, it is unbelievable to me that they can’t keep the trains running. Yesterday, BART put the cherry on top of a horrible day trying to get home, so sick of their rate hikes while nothing ever gets better.

19 Enough of these 42 Year Old Things August 27, 2014 at 4:03 PM

Now’s a good time to fast-track the order for those 775 new cars. Go ahead and have ‘em delivered tomorrow, please.

20 Marissa August 27, 2014 at 9:07 PM

Wow, I actually forgot. Well bright and early I hope the trains are running.

21 Bubbles August 27, 2014 at 9:18 PM

@Elwood yeah it’s the unions that broke BART. That big “raise” they got of like 13% over 4 years and are now paying into their pensions and medical it ended up being a 2% raise each year. Wooooooo Hooooooooo That broke BART for sure. All the idiots on here keep voting in the same Board of Directors that are wasting the big bucks. how about 600,000,000.00 for that little tram they built to the Oakland Airport thats going to cost 6 bucks each way thats 12 bucks on top of the BART fare. Who do you think built the thing. The contractors lining the pockets of the Board! Stop blaming the working class for everything!! Vote out these idiots!

I’m with JoeBlow how about the trillions we are throwing away on these dumb wars that haven’t helped anyone and killed so many of our young people.

I think you all that complain should start a group of car pools and drive. I’d love better seating on BART!!

22 BART STINKS! August 27, 2014 at 10:20 PM

How much longer will we ride these shoddy cabooses. What will it take to get them to replace NOW! They would never survive an earthquake, especially with a driver sound asleep.

23 concord August 28, 2014 at 3:32 AM

And the day completed with a woman jumping in front of a train at Montgomery and single-tracking home but listening to the Giants ushers tell me about all the Bart wars from Tuesday evening and the left behing passengers kept me well entertained. Bart just refuses to run kinger than five car trains after 11:18 and is dangerous.

24 Mechanical things break. August 28, 2014 at 4:30 AM

It just happens. Look at all the broken down cars along the freeway every day if you need evidence. If all the BART cars were replaced with brand new ones tomorrow, there would still be breakdowns.

Considering how many people BART transports every day, their reliability record is pretty good.

25 Curious PH Voter August 28, 2014 at 6:53 AM

@bubbles, the money for the airport connector didn’t come out of BART operating budgets, the mOney for your exorbitant raises does.

26 Bubbles August 28, 2014 at 11:43 AM

@Curious PH Voter

I don’t work for BART I just ride it everyday. You consider a 2% raise each year over four years exorbitant? they had zero and actually took cuts the 4 years before. I’m curious what you do? I work for a private agency and I got 3.5% raise last year and 3% this year. BART employees got what amounts to a 1% each year over 8 years. thats not even keeping up with inflation. I actually go to BART board meetings and listen to theses board members and can’t believe what I hear from them. Try it sometime.

27 Walnut Creek Resident August 28, 2014 at 1:14 PM

No BART is not that great #24. They have many problems with may breakdowns on very outdated equipment that our money given to them should of by now had replaced the old trains and other stuff!!
No the trains would not be falling apart if they were new. Obviously!

28 Commuter August 28, 2014 at 2:30 PM

@bubbles. You must work for BART if you think a 16% raise over 4 years amounts to 2% a year.

You are grossly overpaid for doing menial tasks. The trains drive themselves! all you do is announce the stations (and get that wrong half the time) and open the doors. For $100,000K a year??? plus medical and pension? puhleease.