DeSaulnier Bill to Aid School Supplies for Homeless Children Fund Passes Legislature

August 25, 2014 · 29 comments

A measure by Senator Mark DeSaulnier (D-Concord) to help distribute funds in a timely and efficient manner from the School Supplies for Homeless Children Fund was passed by the state legislature.

The fund will provide tens of thousands of homeless children with the basic materials needed to achieve in the classroom. Senator DeSaulnier carried SB 1571 in 2012 to establish the fund and allow taxpayers to designate contributions to the Fund on their personal income tax returns.

“Students need to be equipped with the right tools in order to succeed, but so many homeless children are left without the supplies needed to receive a quality education,” Senator DeSaulnier said. “This fund will provide tangible support to help some of our most vulnerable children.”

SB 761 relocates the School Supplies for Homeless Children Fund from the California Department of Education to the Department of Social Services to avoid a costly budget process. This bill will allow a more timely and efficient distribution process that will ensure all awarded funds go directly to the benefit of homeless children.

SB 761 is sponsored by K to College, a nonprofit operating the largest charitable school and dental supply program in California. Since 2010, K to College has distributed more than $14,500,000 of grade-appropriate school and dental supply kits to more than 230,000 students in more than 100 California school districts.

1 PO'd August 25, 2014 at 8:49 AM

“Tens of thousands of homeless children” sounds like an inflated number.The San Jose Mercury News puts the entire homeless population at just under 137,000 for the state.Most of the homeless that are visible are single males with some females in the mix.I don’t see how that number was reached.
Are they counting those children that are placed in foster homes? Are they also counting some who are receiving ADC benefits?
Sounds like a lie to me. If there are that many, we would see them constantly pushing carts with their parent(s) during the summer months. We don’t. If there were that many, the media would be all over the story every day.They aren’t.
It’s another give-away program that is sure to be abused by parents who have a home, but are receiving assistance.It will appeal to those who have
a victimization posture, and it won’t likely be monitored correctly.
A vote for DeSaulnier is another vote for more California Socialism.

2 Buster August 25, 2014 at 8:50 AM

“relocates the School Supplies for Homeless Children Fund from the California Department of Education to the Department of Social Services’

OMG you have to be kidding me!

3 Lorelei August 25, 2014 at 9:18 AM

I didn’t vote for him….

4 Bubba August 25, 2014 at 9:23 AM

Have their parents lay off the crack and buy their OWN kids pencils! Marky Mark the socialist!

5 Always Right August 25, 2014 at 9:27 AM

Typical enabler of homelessness and dependency.

Any adult who is homeless should NOT be allowed to drag their children into that situation. The kids should go to stay with relatives or enter foster care until the parent gets their act together .

6 Mom of the Horde August 25, 2014 at 9:44 AM

Homeless doesn’t always mean you’re living on the streets. Sometimes it means you’re moving from cheap motel to cheap motel, or living with friends or family, or living in a shelter.

Always Right, the worst possible thing to do to a child whose family has already lost their home is to wrest them away from their parents, their school, their siblings and their friends. Really dumb idea.

7 Tom August 25, 2014 at 9:49 AM

I’m not a fan of DeSaulnier either, but if there is anyone I truly have compassion for, it’s homeless children. Their parents situation is hardly their fault.

There is homeless by choice (a way of life), and situational homelessness (job loss, foreclosure, etc.)

There’s a big difference……

8 green August 25, 2014 at 9:52 AM

PO’d #1

your info is all wrong. next time think before writing. therre are tens of thousands of homeless kids in CA. there many homeless women and families. if you live in a shelter or transitional housing or an orphanage or a foster home you are considered homeless. if you are vehicularly housed, you are considered homeless.

also, what is “ADC”?? lol. it is called “TANF”. It used to be called “AFDC” back in the early and mid 90’s.

you are a hater. you are an unhappy person.

9 green August 25, 2014 at 9:56 AM

no. 5:

not all homeless adults have relatives. and you can’t just drop your kids off at foster house. there are strict eligibility requirements. plus no parent in their right mind would give up their kids.

10 Mamatosix August 25, 2014 at 9:57 AM

@ Always right
Take it from a survivor of the foster system it is not a solution. I get that there are times when it is necessary. But I would have rather been with my mom on the streets who loved me than to be in that foster “home” where I was abused. Just sayin. And I know for a fact that my story is a common one.
I will say there are some great ones too.

11 Bubba August 25, 2014 at 10:01 AM

I hate haters!

12 oldman August 25, 2014 at 10:02 AM

There are a considerable number of charity organizations and churches that provide this type of support. I don’t think the government will offer any improvements and will only drive the socialist agenda.

13 RunDogRun August 25, 2014 at 10:07 AM

Glad to hear it.

14 ClayDen August 25, 2014 at 10:10 AM

What is the best way to reduce homelessness? As Joe Biden said, a three letter word: JOBS! How do we create more jobs? Make California more business-friendly. However, the Democrat controlled legislature is doing the exact opposite and driving businesses away from California. It’s time to throw the Democrats out (like DeSaulnier) and elect responsible politicians, i.e., conservatives who understand economics. The state’s economy is being strangled by the liberal/socialist/progressive/Democrat politicians and their crazy policies.

15 Mom of the Horde August 25, 2014 at 11:01 AM

@oldman yes, there are charity organizations and churches that have programs that aid economically disadvantaged students, but their reach is limited. I know that many of them tend to focus on schools with high poverty rates, or only elementary age students, or only can help a small amount of children.

What would make the most sense would be to give the schools adequate funding to buy supplies for ALL the students, at least the elementary aged ones, so that all those kids have to show up with is clean clothes, shoes and a smile.

For middle and high school it’s harder, but with the bulk buying power that school districts have, why couldn’t they buy in bulk, bundle together supply packs, and offer them for a reasonable suggested donations to students who CAN pay, and give them to students who can’t pay.

16 Aldrige Family August 25, 2014 at 12:22 PM

K to College gives supplies to the entire school not just homeless kids, so its not effective at all. Plus foster kids get money from the state for their stuff, its unfortunate that many of the foster parents use that for other things besides the kids.

17 oldman August 25, 2014 at 12:51 PM

@Mom of Horde
OK; we both agree there is a problem. Let me solve it using my method (i.e. charity and personal responsibility) and you can solve it by your method, which I suggest is a tax for liberals only that would clearly pay for their needs since you are 50% of population. Just don’t tax me.

18 Always Right August 25, 2014 at 1:23 PM

@Mom of the Horde – depends upon how you define the term homeless.

The socialists have brainwashed people to define “homeless” as just about anyone who doesn’t have their name on a lease or a deed. What nonsense.

If any of my kids lost their jobs, houses, etc. why would you call them homeless? Because they moved back in with their parents? Nonsense.

19 Thinking person August 25, 2014 at 1:50 PM

There a lot of people who need help, no question. But with the current democrat majority in office the problem will get worse. The job creators are moving out of California due to over regulation. The CEO of a major fast food company that recently relocated to Texas said in California it takes the better part of two years to get through all the regulations to open a new location. In Texas it is 40 days. The problem is lack of jobs and when will we start electing people who create an environment where jobs can be created?

20 PO'd August 25, 2014 at 2:19 PM

Green@#8 If you included foster children and orphanages, then the number is somewhat more believable. I think we are talking technicalities here. But, if we are going to be technical, then those kids have a home, no matter how temporary.They aren’t out on the street (on the ground or parked), or wondering how they will be fed. Not ideal, but certainly better than being truly homeless.Or there wouldn’t be foster families or orphanages,would there?
My issue isn’t with the kids or even with you.It is with a state that cannot control it’s spending. I can guarantee that the state will not effectively police the program. All agencies must grow to continue funding. That’s precisely why all the categories you mention above are considered homeless, when they really aren’t.
If my info is all wrong, then enlighten me with your numbers. What do you think the homeless population in the state is? How many homeless children? How many of those classified as homeless are in some form of housing? A vague description of “tens of thousands” isn’t accurate and is typical of the exaggerations of the left.
I’ll be waiting for your response.

21 Elwood August 25, 2014 at 2:49 PM

I can’t wait for this p***k to go to D.C. and disappear.

22 Mom of the Horde August 25, 2014 at 3:13 PM

@oldman back in the good old days, public schools actually provided the basic supplies for elementary age kids, rather than sending home a list of 20 items including things like hand soap, paper towel, copier paper and Kleenex. Back when I went to grade school all I had to bring was myself, my lunch and maybe a book bag….

23 oldman August 25, 2014 at 3:50 PM

@Mom of the Horde
Why do you think the public schools no longer provide these supplies. Is public school money going elsewhere?

24 Marissa August 25, 2014 at 4:03 PM

This is one of the best bills yet, I’m glad it went through.

25 RIII August 25, 2014 at 6:50 PM

Has this particular “Elected Representative” ever penned any legislation that favors the home owner, a tax payer or a working member of the community? He is really big on spending “Other Peoples Money,” but he seems to be a little lacking on those supporting those in the tax paying community. Where do these people come from? However, I do recall a phrase, “From each according to their means, to each according to their needs.” Where has this ever worked?

26 Door is open August 25, 2014 at 6:53 PM

These so-called “homeless children” mostly are the hoards of children that have been let across are wide open borders. Do a search on this K to College program and you will find it is another welfare freebie paid for by the working people that pay taxes.
Wonder why they don’t teach some subjects in grade and high school?

27 green August 25, 2014 at 7:25 PM

i agree with PO’d. sorry about my sarcasm in my first post. CA is out of control with its spending. car registration is only $50-$75 a year in most states, but it costs me over $300 in CA. this is outrageous, and mind you, i am a liberal. when i lived in PA, sales tax was only 6%. and yes, “tens of thousands” is very vague.

28 Always Right August 25, 2014 at 9:30 PM

@green – there is hope for you yet !

I wish you great success in life and children you love.

When that happens, you will begin to wonder why our public schools are poor to mediocre (completely run by democrats), why our sales and income taxes are the highest in the country ( a state run by democrats) and why you will at times fear for your safety and the safety of your children ( 1/3 of all drivers are uninsured, criminals are being released before serving even half their sentences).

All brought to your doorstep by liberal democrats like DeSaulinier.

29 Sick of it August 26, 2014 at 8:27 AM

@Always Right- you just took the words from my mouth. I could not have said it better. Cheers!