Concord Police DUI Checkpoint Nets One Arrest on Saturday

August 25, 2014 10:00 am · 38 comments

The Concord Police Department conducted a DUI Checkpoint on Saturday, August 23, 2014 from 10:30 p.m. to 3:30 a.m., as part of The City of Concord’s commitment to public safety.

This checkpoint was one of many that have been or will be conducted throughout the year in the City of Concord.

The location of Saturday’s checkpoint was on Clayton Road near Ayers Road.

The goal of the DUI Checkpoint was to bring awareness to the public of the dangers of driving under the influence of drugs and alcohol and remove impaired drivers from the roadway.

The results of the DUI Checkpoint were as follows:

• 414 Vehicles passed through the checkpoint
  • 414 Drivers Screened at the checkpoint
  • 1 DUI Suspect Arrested
  • 1 Field sobriety tests conducted

These enforcement efforts were funded by a grant from the California Office of Traffic Safety, through the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

Report Drunk Drivers – Call 911!

1 lime ridge August 25, 2014 at 10:10 AM

In other words, 413 innocent people delayed and inconvenienced in order to arrest 1 drunk driver.

I wonder if there is a point where the checkpoint cheerleaders would pause and say, hey, maybe this isn’t a good idea.

How about 1,000 people stopped for one arrest? 4,000 people stopped?

Or would they continue their sanctimonious clucking: “If even one drunk driver is taken off the street, it is still worth it.”

2 Anon August 25, 2014 at 10:11 AM

No illegal aliens were harmed, or detained as that is a Federal matter and the state doesn’t give a rats a$$.

3 Meow August 25, 2014 at 10:31 AM

why are the check points always at Clayton Rd and Ayers is that where all the drunks are?

4 The Mamba August 25, 2014 at 10:48 AM

Meow – yes

5 Sick August 25, 2014 at 11:16 AM

I wonder how many cops it took to set up that check point?
I will guess at least 7 probably more?Now how many Dui arrest could 7 cops on patrol for Dui’s make In 5 hours ?
I’m gonna go out on a limb here and say more than One.What a huge waste of Resources and Man Power but hey got to keep that grant money rolling in right boys?

6 Marianne August 25, 2014 at 11:46 AM

Can you say wasted resources.

7 wc44 August 25, 2014 at 11:52 AM

So we borrow money from China to pay for this? Couldn’t the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration divert these funds to highway construction and repair…….Here is the dirty little secret. The cops are paid overtime for the checkpoint work which increases the costs of pensions for all taxpayers in the future so they love to get the grant money.

8 Charles Darwin August 25, 2014 at 11:57 AM

Why setup a checkpoint on a road without checking drivers on both sides of road. Also why put it on Clayton at ayers when all the drunks know about it and just go down concord blvd.

9 Idiocracy August 25, 2014 at 11:59 AM

I agree #5 and #1 and even #2 Who is running this fiasco of a State/County’s/Cities = Democrats! Now do I think repubs are any better = not really!. Its time we Voted for an independent party since these other 2 we are stuck with are too greedy and power hungry to come up with logical solutions to problems such as DUI’s, Immigration, the Economy, our infrastructure and many more pressing issues that are never properly addressed of fixed or even mentioned by inept leaders our low informed sheep citizens keep on voting for! Can we Elect someone with actual business experience in regards to our economy issue next election for once CA?

10 Anon2you August 25, 2014 at 12:02 PM

@Sick – I actually was thinking the very same thing. Great to get a drunk driver off the road. Who knows maybe it saved a life even, but could that money have been spent more wisely by just having extra patrol cars/officers on the streets. I would feel safer going with the latter…

11 the REAL fiscal conservative August 25, 2014 at 12:03 PM

I agree with @ 1 and 5. That many cops could nab more drunks just patrolling, but that would have to be paid for out the regular budget. It’s pork like this, multiplied thousands of times over the whole country, that is why our federal government is terminally in debt, the value of our currency is falling, and we are plunging head long towards insolvency.

Excuse the hyperbole, but Americans lapping up “free” federal dollars is doing more damage to this country than any Islamist terrorists could hope to.

12 BagsFlyFree August 25, 2014 at 12:04 PM

This is proof that this dinosaur aged practice needs to stop. Put those same cops on patrol at/near busy intersections and net greater results while also lowering criminal activity. Is the standard checkpoint setup the only approved method to spend these grant funds?

13 Anon August 25, 2014 at 12:35 PM

Just maybe it means the check points are working!!!

14 iluvfriedchicken August 25, 2014 at 12:46 PM

Thousands of dollars spent, hundreds of people inconvenienced, accused, and suspected without probably cause, and they caught 1 SUSPECTED drunk driver. What a joke.

15 PhilthyPHRESH August 25, 2014 at 1:46 PM

@13 True.

16 Duck August 25, 2014 at 2:02 PM

“Anon , Just maybe it means the check points are working !!!”

Most likely it means that the drunks know where the check point is going to be and avoid them by driving other roads.

What a waste of time and money !
Any time I hear there will be a check point on Clayton I avoid it ,because I don’t like being hassled by the law………..PERIOD !!!!!!!

17 the other jj August 25, 2014 at 2:36 PM

they could have got more drunks if they got the jaywalkers

18 BagsFlyFree August 25, 2014 at 2:42 PM

The ratio of people caught vs. screened is too low, and proves that smartphones are outsmarting CPD and other agencies that use these tactics to catch impared drivers. A dozen apps and websites publish these checkpoints every week, so realistically 1 out of 5 people inconvenienced will surely look up a way to not get caught up in the next checkpoint out of sheer inconvenience, let alone driving with one too many in their system.

BFF Out!

19 Elwood August 25, 2014 at 2:45 PM

Congratulations to Concord drivers for their sobriety!

Or maybe their ability to bypass the checkpoint if it’s always in the same place and pre-announced.

20 NoMoreFreeRide August 25, 2014 at 2:56 PM

Still no numbers on the number of unlicensed drivers that they encountered. Where’s the numbers mayor??

21 seig heil August 25, 2014 at 4:10 PM

Sorta reminds me of Nazi Germany, “Let me see your papers!”

22 Anonymous August 25, 2014 at 4:25 PM

I grow weary instructing some posters that a purpose of checkpoints is to deter DUIs . The fact that the village drunks are so critical is proof that it’s working.

Special shout out to poster 21 for idiocracy.

23 TinFoiler August 25, 2014 at 4:38 PM

OMG. You people just bend over and take…..
Sacrifice LIBERTY for BS SECURITY = You Get Neither

24 seig heil August 25, 2014 at 5:11 PM

@ Anonymous, if you’re growing weary then stop, nobody appointed you instructor anyway.
The post about Nazi Germany may be a little overkill but the fact remains, the idiocracy belongs to those who sit back and allow the government to take away our freedom in a free society.

25 Michelle(original) August 25, 2014 at 6:17 PM

Great job, cpd. They netted one drunk driver of the street; how many people could he have hit that night. Anon is absolutely right.

26 NoMoreFreeRide August 25, 2014 at 6:54 PM

@Anon – Hit the nail on the head.

27 Jim A August 25, 2014 at 7:07 PM

Papers please! You will show me your papers! I gotta agree w 21. This reeks of police state.

28 Tom August 25, 2014 at 7:12 PM

Anybody that doesn’t understand the importance of DUI checkpoints is illogical.

A lot of people out there don’t have any common sense. Trying to get through to them is like arguing with a brick wall.

Inconvenienced? Perhaps these people would rather identify family and friends at the morgue.

I’d rather do what I’m doing right now. Enjoying a ballgame……

29 Cautiously Informed August 25, 2014 at 7:46 PM

@meow/#3:
That’s because the police aren’t allowed to place them at places like Monument Blvd., where they would probably catch more drunks and criminals. It’s a fact that criminals and illegal aliens have more rights than honest citizens.

30 @Tom August 25, 2014 at 8:22 PM

How would you feel about being stopped and frisked at random whenever you went somewhere because doing that to everybody might just get one illegal gun or a baggie of meth off the street? Would the convenience be worth the end result?

31 Concord Guy August 25, 2014 at 8:54 PM

I’m on Clayton Road almost daily. I’m glad that only one drunk was busted. Perhaps people are getting the message to not drink and drive.

32 The Realist August 25, 2014 at 10:40 PM

@@tom
They can already do that now, the powers that be are just waiting for the perfect new false flag to get the sheep to go along with taking any (perceived) freedoms (left) away from them.
Did you know 2/3 of the population of the US lives in the Constitution-free zone?
Look at the PATRIOT ACTs, the TSA, the “War on Terror” and the NSA disclosures, people will willing give up their freedoms for the false pretense of security. Bye Bye 4th Amendment.

33 Marissa August 25, 2014 at 10:45 PM

One arrest is a good thing.

34 Shiloh August 25, 2014 at 11:12 PM

I live near that area and have NEVER been inconvenienced in any way. I have never been stuck in one of these check points — and it’s not because I was warned ahead of time. I do read the warnings here on Claycord but never write it down on my calendar or anything. I’ve just been lucky, I guess. Wouldn’t ruin my night if I did have to stop though. I’m happy whenever they catch a drunk driver :)

35 M August 25, 2014 at 11:21 PM

I live down the street and I’m glad to be inconvenienced if it means drunk drivers get arrested! I have seen so many obvious drunk drivers on Clayton rd. the last one I called in, the guy was swerving all over and talking and laughing to himself like a maniac! When we pulled up next to him to give a description, the guy was drinking a full beer out of a glass beer mug! I’m not even kidding! My husband and I couldn’t believe it!
Btw this was in the middle of the day.

36 kay August 25, 2014 at 11:36 PM

How about taking some checkpoint allotment money and fix the heavily travelled Clayton Rd…like new striping and reflectors that are absent. At least give the drunks some lane guidelines…and the rest if us too.

37 JRConcord August 26, 2014 at 6:34 AM

They NEED to put the next one at Monument and Virginia ln.
Every Friday and Saturday night I hear the Idiot drunk drivers zooming down Virginia lane coming from the cantinas on Monument. They drive to fast, hit parked cars and drive off. Hit the speed bumps to fast(quite funny and noisy) .

38 Sick of it August 26, 2014 at 8:48 AM

414 vehicles slowed if not stopped to make one arrest? I could write 20 texting while driving tickets and find how many drunk, stoned, driving on suspended, non-insured trash and toss a nice wrench in the day of dozens of idiots.