UPDATE: Damage, Power Outages Reported in Bay Area Following 6.0 Magnitude Earthquake

August 24, 2014 4:31 am · 29 comments

power_outage

Law enforcement and emergency agencies across the Bay Area are asking residents not to call 911 unless they have an emergency following a 6.0 magnitude earthquake this morning near American Canyon.

The U.S. Geological Survey is reporting the earthquake occurred at 3:20 a.m. about three miles northwest of American Canyon.

No major damage has been reported in central Contra Costa County (Claycord).

The Rohnert Park Department of Public Safety is reporting multiple power outages and alarms but hasn’t had reports of any major injuries or damage.

The San Francisco Police Department hasn’t had any reports of damage in San Francisco.

The California Highway Patrol is reporting several power outages in Sonoma County.

The CHP is also reporting there is no visible damage to Bay Area bridges that have been checked following the earthquake. Bridges remain open as they are being checked.

Residents in Napa County are reporting damage and power outages.

The earthquake was felt in several East Bay cities, San Francisco and as far north as Sacramento.

photo: PG&E Power Outage Map

1 GV pilot August 24, 2014 at 4:38 AM

Thanks Mayor for all you do!

2 CLAYCORD.com August 24, 2014 at 4:41 AM

Thanks for the nice comment, GV Pilot :)

3 John Tenney August 24, 2014 at 4:42 AM

Highway 37 bridge west of Sonoma Boulevard, Vallejo, is closed for now.

4 dana estates August 24, 2014 at 4:43 AM

Morning, noon and night!!! You’re always there for us Mayor!

5 CLAYCORD.com August 24, 2014 at 4:44 AM

Thank you, Dana Estates. Appreciate all the nice words. :)

6 Sandy August 24, 2014 at 4:46 AM

As soon as it stopped shaking, the first thing I did was come here. I knew you’d have the scoop !

7 John Tenney August 24, 2014 at 4:46 AM

I should chime in that I’m a regular Claycord reader now, and I really DO appreciate the local coverage for us! (I’m in Lafayette, and in Concord frequently.)

8 Anon August 24, 2014 at 4:48 AM

Do Not go out and shut off your Gas Meter – (unless you smell gas / hear hissing).

9 Antler August 24, 2014 at 5:05 AM

John Tenny at #3. ….. That is the Mare Island Bridge. My friend (near Sonoma and 9 miles from epicenter) says that they have announced that the closure is only for inspection purposes…..so far, that is….as of 20 minutes ago. Hwy. 37 has many sections with only one lane in each direction…. dicey emergency access.

10 bluebird August 24, 2014 at 5:12 AM

Where are the power lines down in CCC?

11 Antler August 24, 2014 at 5:19 AM

Highway 37 now reported buckled, and the Mare Island Bridge is now reported damaged and of course closed. Friend near epicenter says that wineries are still accessing conditions in cellars….none reporting as yet.

12 MadMom August 24, 2014 at 5:31 AM

Thank you mayor. I always feel better after checking Claycord. I finally got back to sleep when my friend from Maryland text to see if we were okay. National news! But Claycord had it first!

13 Craig Cannon August 24, 2014 at 6:32 AM

I’m In Vallejo, was in American Canyon. What a Mess. Windows Gone on One Main St. A Post Office Damaged, Safeway Store with Isles on Groceries All Over. Some Looting in Vallejo it Appears. You can Reach In Stores Grab Merchandise, if You are a Crook. Very Serious Up Here.

14 NC August 24, 2014 at 6:54 AM

I live in North Concord and the earthquake woke me up out of a sound sleep. It seemed my house was shaking back and forth not sideways.

15 KJ August 24, 2014 at 7:25 AM

I was really surprised to read it was a 6.0; I thought high 4 or low 5. It woke me up, of course, but just felt like a gentle bobbing of the bed; like being in a boat and having the wake of another boat go underneath. No violent shaking or loud rumbling sounds. I was around for the 1957 earthquake, which was only a 5.3, and it sounded like a freight train coming at our house and then a giant grabbing the house and shaking it hard. This was nothing like that, thankfully!!

16 Grateful August 24, 2014 at 7:42 AM

Add my thanks to the list Mayor. We are out of town and just got a call about it. Came to Claycord and got the details.

Sorry for those who sustained damage. Glad that Central CC county did not.

17 Anonymous August 24, 2014 at 7:57 AM

I’m 2000 miles away trying to call family in Concord. Is phone system and cell system up? Not seeing any comments for quite a while.

18 alex August 24, 2014 at 8:35 AM

I live in concord and I woke up when it started shaking! Actually my whole family woke up! My bed was shaking for at least 5-10 seconds and I wasn’t even sure whether to get up or not! For a moment I thought maybe this is it? Maybe we were hit by a nuke and we are about to die ( watching too much movies i guess? )

also my brother just moved to US so he never experienced earthquake before, when he woke up he was confused and asking whats happening LOL

19 That's All Folks! August 24, 2014 at 8:48 AM

The worst part of any earthquake is not the actual earthquake itself, it’s the news. They always have to make a big deal out of it and remind us that the “big one” is coming and of course that’s all we’ll hear for the next couple of days.
Give me a break, they’ve been saying that since the 60’s when they said California was gonna fall into the ocean.
Then they have to tell us to stock up on earthquake supplies.
It gets old after a while.

20 OverWhelmed August 24, 2014 at 9:08 AM

Not sure about others, but that was a strong 6.0 earthquake. It jolted really hard, then rolled for about 30 seconds afterward. I am on the border of WC, PH, C area. I told my husband it was a 6.0 before we even heard. I will be praying for those in American Canyon and surrounding areas. Hope no one was hurt.

21 Marianne August 24, 2014 at 9:15 AM

That woke us up this morning but didn’t feel like a 6.0. That was a nice rolling earthshake.

22 woo August 24, 2014 at 9:47 AM

Was up and cats ran under the bed around the same time I started feeling it. Thought maybe a 5.0. Wasnt as violent as Loma Prieta. Sorry for those in Napa.

23 Tal August 24, 2014 at 9:51 AM

I’m in Concord, and got up this morning to discover that my grandfather clock had stopped right at the moment the quake hit. That is the first time that has happened.

24 macawlady August 24, 2014 at 9:52 AM

I happened to be up at just that moment. I live in a mobile home so the shaking felt very violent to me and lasted a long time. My poor little birdies went nuts for about half an hour afterwards. Every kitchen cabinet door flew open and some knick knacks fell off shelves. Couldn’t sleep very well after that!

25 Buickdude August 24, 2014 at 11:16 AM

Seems like everyone in my house felt it but me, I slept right through it in concord.

26 Nancy (Watson) Blevens August 24, 2014 at 12:47 PM

I recall being woken in the night by the rolling quakes in Concord when I was growing up there. Reading all your comments, I feel I miss those days and it makes me wonder how perverse that thought is! :) I truly miss the climate…living in the midwest with its sticky hot summers.

27 anon August 24, 2014 at 3:07 PM

pine grove power outage? sympathy power outage?

28 anon August 24, 2014 at 3:17 PM

didnt feel anything like loma prieta. but i was in a trailer in w.c. then and in a house in bed in concord for this one. just felt like gentle shaking. never felt any jolts. wish i could have seen it happening outside like the last one when the pavement went liquid.

29 BACONATOR August 24, 2014 at 9:29 PM

i was in my trailer park home frying some bacon watching some taped vhs fall guy when the quake happened. i quickly grabbed my stash and bolted out my trailer, smoked some GPCs and waited for it to end. went back inside shut the stove off, ate the bacon, drank some coors, smoked a GPC, then went to beddy bed.