Coyotes Near Pine Hollow Rd. in Concord

August 24, 2014 0:11 am · 19 comments

If you live off Pine Hollow Rd. in Concord, you might want to keep an eye on your pets, because according to one person in the Seven Oaks neighborhood, coyotes are out & about.

The last couple of nights I have been awakened in the wee hours of the morning by yipping and howling from nearby coyotes. They seemed uncomfortably close, maybe scouring for food? There are quite a few hills around Rolling Woods and Crystyl Ranch, so I am just curious if anyone else has heard them?

Anybody else out there hear the coyotes?

1 Schmee August 24, 2014 at 12:25 AM

My friend’s teacup yorkie got taken by coyotes in claycord. Now they have a giant German Shepard

2 I'm The Urban Spaceman August 24, 2014 at 12:31 AM

Not surprising as they live in hills around here…Shell Ridge too

3 Janice August 24, 2014 at 3:34 AM

Maybe It was that thief, he was released from jail and it was listed as “charges dropped” I am scared for our neighborhood

4 Deborah Swe August 24, 2014 at 3:34 AM

Just answering the question above. We felt a huge earthquake about 15 minutes ago here in Martinez, Ca.

5 Josh August 24, 2014 at 3:38 AM

Hugh earthquake at pleasant hill at 3:00 am felt like magnitude 5 quake.

6 We hear them, too August 24, 2014 at 3:42 AM

We live near the Pine Hollow and Rollingwoods intersection and have heard them the past few nights as well. They do indeed sound louder and seem closer than normal.

7 Sparkerdoooo August 24, 2014 at 3:57 AM

Yes, over the years we hear them every year same time same place.
I live in Dana Estates and as most of you familiar to the area know, we back up to the naval weapons station, which is where our local coyote nursery is located.
I like to hear the healthy yipping and yapping of the pups,
It keeps me reassured that nature is still out there and is healthy. Their yipping also let’s me know, that it’s time to get my cats in

8 Sweetness August 24, 2014 at 3:58 AM

Coyotes were so close Thursday and Friday night… Loud here in State Streets

9 Clayton resident August 24, 2014 at 4:02 AM

They have bee very close and vocal the past couple of nights. They often eat prey in field across street from my house (foothills of Mt. Diablo). Eerie. Lots of cats taken in our neighborhood. When the packs get excited about a fresh kill, the yipping is so loud it feels like it’s next to my house!

10 Silva August 24, 2014 at 5:38 AM

If you really care about your smaller sized pets (cats, small dogs, etc.) They DO belong indoors. They’ll have a much longer life, and you”ll have that much more time with them.

11 Roz August 24, 2014 at 6:32 AM

@ #9,..we live across from Naval Weapon Station, just off Willow Pass Road.
I have be told too, packed get excited about a fresh kill. We hear them loud & clear.

12 Brenda August 24, 2014 at 6:55 AM

Not unusual to see coyotes in the hills in the Crystyl Ranch neighborhood, day or night.

13 Mamatosix August 24, 2014 at 7:47 AM

Maybe they were feeling the earthquakes coming.
My dog has been growling and barking too for a day and a half.

14 Monkey August 24, 2014 at 8:22 AM

I live near West Street, and when I walk my dogs early in the morning, I see them trotting down the streets looking for food. They must need to cross busy streets to get there!

15 concord74 August 24, 2014 at 5:36 PM

I’d rather hear the coyotes out there yelping than pesky, disease carrying leas from rodents that can come into neighborhoods. Rodents are attracted by landowners leaving pet food and water out on patios, etc. It is a shame that many homeowners move into area bordering Mt. Diablo or the CNWS and complain about the wildlife! Move away!!

16 concord74 August 24, 2014 at 5:37 PM

that is supposed to be “… disease carrying fleas..”!

17 SpankyFortuna August 24, 2014 at 9:01 PM

Don’t forget….The coyotes have lived there much longer than people have.

18 RunDogRun August 25, 2014 at 9:58 AM

Allright wildlife!

19 Dog Walker August 25, 2014 at 12:06 PM

At 11:39 this morn there was a coyote on Pine Hollow and Rolling Woods across from the tennis courts. He was running along the fence headed up the hill. Sorry no photos but definitely a scrawny thirsty coyote and not afraid of cars.