All candidates for Concord City Council and Concord City Treasurer in the November 4, 2014 consolidated general municipal election have subscribed to the Fair Campaign Pledge included in the City’s election ordinance.
The candidates for Councilmember are: Pat Hogoboom, Laura Hoffmeister, Ron Leone, Nick Lynch, Tim Grayson, Brent Trublood, Adam Foster, Terry Kremin, and Harmesh Kumar.
The candidates for Treasurer are: Louis Mazzarella and Thomas J. Wentling.
The purpose of the ordinance is to emphasize the need for fair campaigns, to make all candidates for City offices aware of the City’s commitment to fair campaigns, to specify the characteristics of a fair campaign, and to give every candidate for City office the opportunity to commit him or herself to fair campaign practices.
City of Concord Code of Fair Campaign Pledge:
There are basic principles of decency, honesty, and fair play which every candidate for public office in the State of California has a moral obligation to observe and uphold, in order that, after vigorously contested, but fairly conducted campaigns, our citizens may exercise their constitutional right to a free and untrammeled choice and the will of the people may be fully and clearly expressed on the issues.
1. I SHALL CONDUCT my campaign openly and publicly, discussing the issues as I see them, presenting my record and policies with sincerity and frankness, and criticizing without fear or favor the record and policies of my opponents or political parties which merit such criticism.
2. I SHALL NOT USE OR PERMIT the use of character defamation, whispering campaigns, libel, slander, or scurrilous attacks on any candidate or his or her personal or family life.
3. I SHALL NOT USE OR PERMIT any appeal to negative prejudice based on race, sex, religion, national origin, physical health status, or age.
4. I SHALL NOT USE OR PERMIT any dishonest or unethical practice which tends to corrupt or undermine our American system of free elections, or which hampers or prevents the full and free expression of the will of the voters including acts intended to hinder or prevent any eligible person from registering to vote, enrolling to vote, or voting.
5. I SHALL NOT coerce election help or campaign contributions for myself or for any other candidate from my employees.
6. I SHALL IMMEDIATELY AND PUBLICLY REPUDIATE support deriving from an individual or group which resorts, on behalf of my candidacy or in opposition to that of my opponent, to the methods and tactics which I condemn. I shall accept responsibility to take firm action against any subordinate who violates any provision of this code or the laws governing elections.
7. I SHALL DEFEND AND UPHOLD the right of every qualified American voter to full and equal participation in the electoral process.