Concord City Council Candidates Sign Fair Campaign Pledge

August 23, 2014 11:00 am · 27 comments

City of Concord

All candidates for Concord City Council and Concord City Treasurer in the November 4, 2014 consolidated general municipal election have subscribed to the Fair Campaign Pledge included in the City’s election ordinance.

The candidates for Councilmember are: Pat Hogoboom, Laura Hoffmeister, Ron Leone, Nick Lynch, Tim Grayson, Brent Trublood, Adam Foster, Terry Kremin, and Harmesh Kumar.

The candidates for Treasurer are: Louis Mazzarella and Thomas J. Wentling.

The purpose of the ordinance is to emphasize the need for fair campaigns, to make all candidates for City offices aware of the City’s commitment to fair campaigns, to specify the characteristics of a fair campaign, and to give every candidate for City office the opportunity to commit him or herself to fair campaign practices.

City of Concord Code of Fair Campaign Pledge:

There are basic principles of decency, honesty, and fair play which every candidate for public office in the State of California has a moral obligation to observe and uphold, in order that, after vigorously contested, but fairly conducted campaigns, our citizens may exercise their constitutional right to a free and untrammeled choice and the will of the people may be fully and clearly expressed on the issues.

THEREFORE:

1. I SHALL CONDUCT my campaign openly and publicly, discussing the issues as I see them, presenting my record and policies with sincerity and frankness, and criticizing without fear or favor the record and policies of my opponents or political parties which merit such criticism.
2. I SHALL NOT USE OR PERMIT the use of character defamation, whispering campaigns, libel, slander, or scurrilous attacks on any candidate or his or her personal or family life.
3. I SHALL NOT USE OR PERMIT any appeal to negative prejudice based on race, sex, religion, national origin, physical health status, or age.
4. I SHALL NOT USE OR PERMIT any dishonest or unethical practice which tends to corrupt or undermine our American system of free elections, or which hampers or prevents the full and free expression of the will of the voters including acts intended to hinder or prevent any eligible person from registering to vote, enrolling to vote, or voting.
5. I SHALL NOT coerce election help or campaign contributions for myself or for any other candidate from my employees.
6. I SHALL IMMEDIATELY AND PUBLICLY REPUDIATE support deriving from an individual or group which resorts, on behalf of my candidacy or in opposition to that of my opponent, to the methods and tactics which I condemn. I shall accept responsibility to take firm action against any subordinate who violates any provision of this code or the laws governing elections.
7. I SHALL DEFEND AND UPHOLD the right of every qualified American voter to full and equal participation in the electoral process.

RELATED STORY: Full, Final List of Local Candidates Running for City Council, Mayor

1 Suggest August 23, 2014 at 11:21 AM

they have the POA sign this, too. And Mary Rossi, too.

2 Always Right August 23, 2014 at 11:21 AM

Mr. Mayor –

Here is the list of candidates you published a couple weeks ago:

Ronald E. Leone
Harmesh Kumar
Patrick Hogoboom
Tim Grayson
Samuel Colvin
Brent Trublood
Laura Hoffmeister
Terry Kremin
Vernon Kurpieski
Adam Foster
Nicholas T. Lynch

Why didn’t you mention Vernon Kerpieski?

3 Always Right August 23, 2014 at 11:23 AM

Mr. Mayor, –

Never mind, I guess Vernon dropped out.

4 Killjoy August 23, 2014 at 11:36 AM

That remains to be seen.

5 Russ August 23, 2014 at 11:44 AM

And I, as a loyal Claycordian, swear not to point out that it appears that Candidate Kumar threw up the same signs around Concord as he used the last (failed) election.

6 Julio August 23, 2014 at 1:15 PM

A lot of candidates use recycled signs. Saves money. Campaigns cost 20 to 50 thousand dollars per campaign. I wouldn’t expect Ron Leone to respect the signing of this pledge. A joke to him.

7 Mayor, as a public service, will you post the financial backers of the candidates? August 23, 2014 at 1:32 PM

It would be a great public service to see, well in advance of the election, just where the MONEY TRAIL leads.

8 Silva August 23, 2014 at 1:53 PM

#5, That’s a +, not a -.

9 Campaigns for this town August 23, 2014 at 2:28 PM

should cost about $50. Now, only the wealthy, influential or heavily influenced can get the cash to campaign. Usually its the later.

People from all districts of Concord should be represented on the City Council. Right now, most of the Council members are from one neighborhood, how fair is that?

The Mayor should be elected separately and held accountable for the overall city welfare of the City.

Electing representatives should be chosen on their character, integrity, accountability and responsibility, not on how many signs they can get up around town.

10 How much do the large posters(signs) cost? August 23, 2014 at 2:49 PM

11 Poster 1 August 23, 2014 at 2:53 PM

Beat me to it.

12 Atticus Thraxx August 23, 2014 at 3:55 PM

It’s a good oath and I’m glad everyone signed it. I’ll be looking to ease the stranglehold the CPD/CPOA has on our council and tend to vote accordingly. Hope ya’ll do the same.

13 Mark August 23, 2014 at 4:45 PM

Same old BS….

14 Pat Pomeroy August 23, 2014 at 7:20 PM

Noticed candidate Kumar’s sign promises ” A Better Life.” Jeez, that’s setting the bar pretty high. Can you imagine some upset people who vote him into office and then their life doesn’t change for the better? Maybe he should use the tried and true ” Fiscal Responsibility ” or ” Honest and Integrity”. Oh wait, this is politics. Never mind.

15 Tom August 23, 2014 at 8:19 PM

I take all politicians with a grain of salt. I don’t care to set myself up for disappointment. If they didn’t tell people what they wanted to hear, they’d never get elected.

They’re politicians…………

16 Casey August 23, 2014 at 9:00 PM

Leone has already posted his super large Campaign signs on private property without permission. One was a neighbors house facing Concord Blvd. and the other was a small business downtown. Just a short time ago Concord was in the news for the problems with too many signs including garage sales, etc. I can’t believe we are going to have to look at all of these Campaign signs till November! I’m sorry but these signs just add litter to our city.

17 Anon August 23, 2014 at 9:05 PM

Take a look at a campaign sign of Ron Leone. It reads “Saved 70% CNWS open space”. Sounds like he saved it all on his own doesn’t it? So much for taking the pledge.

18 I thought we were better than this August 23, 2014 at 9:06 PM

I find pledge #3 a bit ironic, given that in the last election the Police Officers Association mailed out an eleventh hour flyer against Edi Birsan that made insinuations against his race and/or national origin.

The POA can endorse whoever it wants. But the candidates have a choice whether they accept that endorsement, and tout it as part of their campaign. There was a deafening silence after this foul mailing from all culpable parties. I can only assume that both the POA and the candidates they endorse think this kind of appeal to xenophobic bigotry is fair play in Concord politics.

I would run screaming from any candidate advertising their endorsement by the POA. Not only would I not give them my vote, I wouldn’t give them the time of day.

19 Vince August 23, 2014 at 10:46 PM

Dear Atticus,

I’ll go further: Any enforcement from the POA gets no vote from me. Kiss of death..

20 @Casey August 24, 2014 at 1:07 AM

did they take the signs down? And did they report it to the City Clerk? I wonder if someone could take him to small claims court for abusing their property?

21 La masa August 24, 2014 at 4:11 PM

I am really sorry people are to stupid to get involved and realize how the city is Not protecting their interest. 1. Measure Q did not fix the first rounds of give me more money. 2. WHAT has the city manager overcome? 3. They want another Measure Q? Why to build a TSP Arch way., To fix the Baldwind Park ADA screw ups., To fix the Chevron ESCO screw ups, by the way did they tell you the true cost of this project! Really City Manager, why not tell the truth!

22 jtkatec August 24, 2014 at 4:29 PM

As Julio stated, these campaigns cost money. It provides the wealthy an advantage over the poorer citizen who may wish to represent his community.

I know it’s not a new story, it’s old as the hills, but it chaps my hide!! A true democracy we are not!

23 Casey August 24, 2014 at 4:47 PM

#20 To the best of my knowledge I can’t confirm if the property manager has made contact to remove the sign. I do understand they were concerned if he wanted the sign returned to him or trash it.

24 Casey August 24, 2014 at 4:50 PM

Please take time to get out and vote, otherwise we are stuck with _ _ _ _ _

25 Cuzzzzzzz...... August 24, 2014 at 6:48 PM

The POA Triad of Leone, Grayson and Hoffmeister will not get my vote or that of my family, friends, neighbors or anyone else I can spread the word to. Time to clean house in Concord. I saw a Leone bumper sticker the other day and it made me want to yak!!!!!!!!

26 Kad August 24, 2014 at 7:32 PM

They need one – Truth only on the signs. Leone signs are misleading. He was not at the meetings trying to save open space.

27 Kenji August 27, 2014 at 12:10 PM

Thanks for the update. I’ll also make sure not to vote for Leone, Grayson or Hoffmeister.