Victims Kidnapped, Robbed and Shot at in Martinez on Wednesday

August 21, 2014 10:00 am · 64 comments

Two victims were kidnapped, robbed and shot at in Martinez on Wednesday night, police said.

Dispatchers received a call around 8 p.m. from a man saying he was a victim of a robbery, according to Martinez police Sgt. Steve Gaul.

The victim was driving away from a business in the 4600 block of Pacheco Boulevard and had a passenger in the car when the suspect entered a rear passenger door and brandished a handgun, Gaul said.

The suspect ordered the victim to continue driving, pistol-whipped the passenger in the head and stole the wallets of both the driver and passenger, according to Gaul.

The suspect ordered the victim to stop in the 1300 block of Marina Vista Avenue, where he exited the car and fired several shots at the victims’ vehicle as it drove away.

The vehicle was struck twice but neither person inside the car was hit, Gaul said.

The passenger received minor injuries from being pistol-whipped,but declined medical treatment.

The suspect, who is described as a white man around 20 years old with short hair who was wearing a black shirt and blue jeans, has not been located.

Anyone who was a witness or who has any information is urged to call Detective Sgt. Dave Mathers at (925) 372-3450.

1 Ykes! August 21, 2014 at 10:04 AM

Wow. Very bold idiot. It would have been fairly light outside still…. Lesson to everyone: ALWAYS lock all your doors! Glad the victims weren’t hit with bullets.

2 What security August 21, 2014 at 10:06 AM

did he have any facial hair G-Tee?

3 Googlar August 21, 2014 at 10:09 AM

We should ban handguns, problem solved!

4 thedude August 21, 2014 at 10:16 AM

@googlar

Or the people should have had their own handgun and defended themselves.

Still waiting on that carry concealed weapon permit.

5 Silva August 21, 2014 at 10:32 AM

Sorry folks, please lock your doors while driving. Had to say it. Won’t solve all the problems but it can’t hurt.

6 Tom August 21, 2014 at 10:40 AM

I hope they find the guy. A reminder to always keep your doors locked at all times.

I hope the victims are okay.

7 iluvfriedchicken August 21, 2014 at 10:52 AM

What does “at in” mean?

8 Mee August 21, 2014 at 11:00 AM

In Antioch in 1988 or so , I gave a guy a ride, we were heading out towards Oakley, when all the sudden he put a knife on my throat and wanted our wallets or else. I was only 17 or so, dumb to give a ride to someone you don’t know. But even dumber to let them sit behind you. There was nothing I could do. I gunned it on highway 4, and was doing 100 or so saying kill me you die to, swerving a bit, he yelled something that I was crazy, took the knife off my throat, I slammed on the break nearly rolled, off the freeway and opened my door and jumped out. He jumped out of the back seat and ran off.. True story. I was lucky to live. Yes, lock your doors. some real nut cases out there.. But never submit. Fight back imo, with everything you got.. Scary stuff. never forget that. And the guy who held a knife at my throat from the back seat even lectured me when he had the knife on me, that I was an idiot for giving a stranger a ride. Well he was right about that..

9 BusBoy August 21, 2014 at 11:02 AM

@thedude #4

Heres a chuckle for you…

” Please understand that I share your concerns about public safety and personal protection. Regrettably, the mere fear of victimization or desire to carry a firearm is insufficient. “

10 OH HAPPY FRIDAY August 21, 2014 at 11:07 AM

#7 SHOT AT…IN MARTINEZ…LOL

11 Dorothy August 21, 2014 at 11:07 AM

Is Martinez going the way of Richmond or Oakland?

12 Mee August 21, 2014 at 11:15 AM

I will say, we live in Martinez.. Pop around 38,000? We average less than one murder a year. So we are a relatively safe city, compared to some other cities.

13 TOM August 21, 2014 at 11:42 AM

“The victim was driving away from a business in the 4600 block of Pacheco Boulevard and had a passenger in the car when the suspect entered a rear passenger door and brandished a handgun”, Gaul said

What business is open at that time in the area maybe a drug deal gone bad?

14 puffandstuff August 21, 2014 at 11:43 AM

Martinez is getting worse every day. Our city council is awful and they are ruining our once nice little town. I am looking forward to moving out someday. But it seems like the whole world is crazy.

15 @ Googlar August 21, 2014 at 11:46 AM

They already are. He was guilty of carrying a loaded firearm in public, which is ALREADY banned. It’s almost like he didn’t care. He didn’t seem to care that kidnapping, robbery, assault with a deadly weapon, aggravated battery, shooting at an occupied vehicle, negligent discharge of a firearm, brandishing a firearm, and false imprisonment were also ALL ALREADY BANNED at the time he committed the crime. Still think banning things is going to stop criminals? Yeah, let’s pile on a few more rules and see if that solves it. I hope you were joking, but you never can tell on here.

16 Nicole August 21, 2014 at 11:52 AM

After Google mapping it–it looks close to Arnold Drive–almost in Pacheco. I think there’s a hair salon and a corp yard. That is a really weird place to hang out–not Martinez proper at all–more like the unincorporated area. I still think Martinez is a relatively safe place to livee, work and do business in.

17 Anonymous August 21, 2014 at 11:56 AM

Locking car doors was never really ever a thought of mine. Not until the Rodney King riots in LA when I witnessed on TV that truck driver being pulled from his truck and beaten to a pulp on the street by a pack of thugs. My first thought was why wasn’t his door locked? Ever since that day, the very first thing I do when I get in the car is lock the doors. Back then it was pushing the button down, and leaning over to the passenger side and pushing that one too. My next vehicle had the automatic locks, nice. It is automatic with me to lock it every single time I enter the vehicle. I know the car will lock itself as soon as I drive away and I reach 16 mph. But I don’t care. I want it locked NOW! This guy in Martinez hadn’t reached 16 mph yet. YES! LOCK YOUR DOORS!

18 Cg August 21, 2014 at 11:57 AM

7-11 is at that hour and banning guns is not the way! Allowing more conceal weapons is way better

19 Sergeant Nit Picker August 21, 2014 at 11:59 AM

Sounds suspicious. Something is off

20 Hey It's... August 21, 2014 at 12:05 PM

Ray porbation Allen

21 The Mamba August 21, 2014 at 12:07 PM

I wonder why the guy would shoot into the car when they had already done everything he asked? That’s not a sane sounding person, and needs to be caught ASAP.

22 Country Girl August 21, 2014 at 12:19 PM

Anybody know what the business was they were leaving from

23 Ick August 21, 2014 at 12:19 PM

Scary story. Glad the victims were not hurt. Hope they catch the loser who did this soon.

@Mee…your story was really scary. Glad you survived to tell your tale.

24 Han Solo August 21, 2014 at 12:21 PM

I think there is more to this story..

25 Tiny Harp August 21, 2014 at 12:27 PM

Okay… I’m SICK TO DEATH if hearing about if handguns were banned crime would stop. Aside from the fact that IF handguns were banned the bad guys would just use knives or blackjacks, I REALLY want to know how you’re going to ban handguns. Its easy to take them away from law abiding citizens. But THOSE PEOPLE ARENT YOUR PROBLEM!!! ITS THE CRIMINALS!!! and they’re not going to be so cooperative. So I DOUBLE DARE any liberal, progressive, anti gun whatever you are to explain in this forum your plan to get the guns away from the bad guys. I’ll bet money that A. You don’t have a plan and B. If you do its some pie in the sky, rose colored glasses bullsquat that wouldn’t have a realistic chance in hell if working. So what’s your plan????

26 bumper morgan August 21, 2014 at 12:36 PM

I’d surmise that it was a dope deal gone bad. Victim sets up a meeting, Something transpires, the deal goes bad.

27 annoyed August 21, 2014 at 12:48 PM

Here’s a thought. If the victim had a gun that could level the playing field but if guns were banned that could also level the playing field and possibly lower the consequences of the outcome??????

28 prehistoric August 21, 2014 at 12:54 PM

4600 Pacheco blvd is the Narcotic building, where all the Druggies go. I think its like a in patient rehab for parolees

29 PhilthyPHRESH August 21, 2014 at 1:00 PM

Embrace our non section 8 community, and it’s diverse, meth smoking, shooting at and kidnapping , child molesting residents.

30 VikingPrincess August 21, 2014 at 1:03 PM

Drugs

31 Terry Kremin August 21, 2014 at 1:08 PM

@ykes #1

exactly – ALWAYS lock your doors!

32 Shuley August 21, 2014 at 1:10 PM

Nobody really believes banning handguns is going to stop crime. However, if you do not have laws prohibiting any type of carrying (without a permit) you have no statutory cause to remove guns from criminals either. We need compromise – we need strong gun laws that protect legal carriers and punish illegal carriers.

33 Sheryl Dean August 21, 2014 at 1:10 PM

Okay, if we ban hand guns the only people who would have the guns are the criminals. That is why they’re described as criminals.

34 Richard Harp August 21, 2014 at 1:25 PM

The comment was made that if both party’s had guns the field would be level. Maybe so. But again I hear “if guns were banned”.
Okay….. How? There’s no point in spouting idealistic claptrap unless you have a method to implement your plan. Wish in one hand, poop in the other and see which one fills up first.

35 Curious August 21, 2014 at 1:31 PM

4600 is the halfway house, as already pointed out. Just on the other side if Arnold is the hydroponics shop next to the post office. How much you want to bet this was over a “gardening” issue?

36 Anonymous August 21, 2014 at 1:42 PM

37 anonanonagain August 21, 2014 at 1:45 PM

I am so tired of reading about thugs who commit crimes. I am also tired of the “thug”, “gangsta” type being glamorized in music and the media. These idiots are not “cool” and they certainly are not smart. They have the brains of driftwood. Can’t wait til I read that this brainless wonder has been caught……

38 Anonymous August 21, 2014 at 1:45 PM

I escaped an attempted car-jacking over at the bon-fare market simply by keeping my head down but my eyes and ears open. Noticed that one of the homeless men was wearing a pair of blue rubber gloves as he passed me on my left hand side. He pulled a gun out of his sweater about 3 seconds later, but when he turned to brandish the weapon
I was already back in front of the store in plain view of all the cameras.

39 Marianne August 21, 2014 at 1:47 PM

Wow! The day is not a good day when you have to lock your doors when driving down the street.

40 Richard Harp August 21, 2014 at 2:19 PM

Until the day returns where law abiding citizens have more rights than criminals we will continue spiriling into hell. Leave the police alone and let them do their job mopping up thugs.

41 Craig Cannon August 21, 2014 at 2:22 PM

He is going to pick the Wrong Car, One Day. I Pray No One is Killed, even Him.

42 st August 21, 2014 at 2:31 PM

“Interestingly enough I came home yesterday with my co-worker following behind me. i make a u-turn at the corner to park in front of my house where my friend parks across the street. There was no one outside when I drive past my house to make the u-turn but upon driving back towards my house there was a skinny maybe 18-20 year old kid who is constantly walking through my neighborhood. He had his pants sagging below his knees (which is pathetic and looks just plain foolish) – and a huge baggy hoodie that almost hid his face in darkness completely. When he noticed that I noticed him, he ran 3 houses down the street and hid behind a truck until his friend pulled up in a lowered (slammed) blue honda civic probably 98 or 99 with tucked white wheels and a silver rim lip, I also believe he had a carbon fiber hood. The house it appeared that he came out of had the windows down on their car. I started taking pictures of the car as it drove by and got the plates. The driver stopped the car and exited the vehicle after picking up the hoodlum who was hiding from us. He attempted to intimidate me but we were not having it and began to approach him. He hopped in his car and sped off. I notified the neighbors and had them check their vehicles. at that same time 3 or 4 of my neighbors came out to see what was going on, but no noise had been made which only leads me to believe that my neighbors are living in fear of these little punks. Being a 6’4 200 lb athletic man along with my friend who looks like a marine on steroids….. Don’t be afraid to stand up for yourself or your community…. These punks are skinny and out of shape drug addicts who just wear large puffy clothes and use weapons to compensate for their timid figures. REMEMBER AT ALL TIMES: To be aware is to be alive. And doing nothing is just as bad as committing the crime yourself.”

Hey man I live on Pacheco blvd 2000 block. Can you describe this skinny kid? White male? Skinny? Tattoos on arm? Short cropped blonde hair?

43 Diablo August 21, 2014 at 2:50 PM

I’m tired of all this halfway house crap! The one by me on Aspen Drive constantly has abandoned vehicles, shopping carts, furniture, and just plain ol garbage out front of it. They have all been told NOT to venture into the housing area or they will be dealt with appropriately. At least these dumb ass pants down to their knees scumbags are easy to spot.

44 Cat Wrangler August 21, 2014 at 2:52 PM

An out-of-work Uber driver who just needed a few extra dollars to upgrade his insurance?

45 Anonymous August 21, 2014 at 2:54 PM

@st This event occured off of Grant and Solano by John Muir. He was hispanic, and every inch of his skin was covered in baggy clothing so I really couldn’t describe him. When I say skinny I mean sucked up tweaker skinny. Maybe 5’9″ – he was small enough to know to run away from us, but had the B***S to come back and try and do something about me taking pictures of his car only when his “homeboy” came to get him… even then his weak attempt to intimidate me from reporting him failed.

46 @ Shuley August 21, 2014 at 3:04 PM

Oh God, I actually agree with Shuley on something. That’s as close to a complement as you’ll get from me Shuley….Of course, the devil is in the details on those laws.

47 st August 21, 2014 at 3:06 PM

@Anonymous Thanks for reply back. Your right don’t let these hoodlum intimidate you. Even if its calling the police or taking pictures of them. Let them know we aint taking their s***t

48 Kevin August 21, 2014 at 3:30 PM

There are hundreds of thousands of guns already on the streets and there are also more thugs and creeps out there than we can handle, most of whom with easy access to those guns. So we need to understand that any gun control law that gets passed, will only affect the law abiding citizens and NOT the criminal elements.

Having street smart and good common sense could prevent you from being victimized but not the when the trouble is seeking you! We are lucky enough to have our constitution give us the right to keep and bear arms, meaning as citizens, we have a right to not only keep firearms at home but also to carry them (bear arms). So we should not allow government to take away or restrict those rights.

Several decades ago, most Americans carried weapons with them every where and it was a very polite society but now the only people who carry weapons are police or criminals!!

49 Lucy August 21, 2014 at 3:55 PM

First of all the article says in the 4600 BLOCK of Pacheco Blvd…… it could be anywhere…. there is a construction company, a church , a hair salon, and a landscaping company……. so to say it was the “Half way house” is dumb. People are there getting better not dealing drugs. Get your facts straight before you go posting bull.
There are lots of desperate people out there that need money and will do whatever it takes to get it. Maybe it was just a random act of violence. It can happen anywhere…..Martinez is a great town, and if you dont like it or think its getting too bad, then by all means please move out!!!

50 puffandstuff August 21, 2014 at 4:26 PM

@ anonanonagain YOU are so RIGHT!

51 S August 21, 2014 at 4:36 PM

Wow close to home. Very scary

52 Country Girl August 21, 2014 at 5:10 PM

Why is this whole unfortunate situation turned into being called a drug deal???Just as #49 wrote there is a church a hair salon and various landscaping company’s with residences sprinkled in between some whom have lived there a very long time and some new As far as the half house that is well supervised And yes it can happen anywhere we just have to be vigilante and be aware of what goes no matter where we live

53 Jason August 21, 2014 at 5:40 PM

I can’t believe that anybody would actually believe a gun ban would solve a problem like this…

Obviously he didn’t care about any of the other laws that he broke why would he care about breaking the law any gun laws?

@googler your perspective simply baffles me.

Glad everybody turned out okay though.

54 BlogHog August 21, 2014 at 6:55 PM

I drive that area every day and the 4600 block is the area of the halfway house, Discovery house? There is nowhere you need to stop in that area so what were these people doing unless the perp jumped in while they were driving? I agree with some of you that it’s suspicious and most likely a drug deal gone bad.

55 Mika August 21, 2014 at 8:21 PM

Sounds fishy. . .

56 Big Al August 21, 2014 at 9:39 PM

No Soup For You…

57 lights and sirens August 22, 2014 at 9:58 AM

Yes the headline reads way wrong! Should say shot at..

Scary story. Martinez is normally a safe town where this kinda thing doesn’t happen. Maybe the suspect was from antioch section 8

58 Mee August 22, 2014 at 9:58 AM

Someone wrote “our Mayor” and he write a reply.. I didn’t get the email so I can’t be 100% sure it is accurate, but basically talked about this event beginning in unincorporated Martinez and ending up downtown and the police chief will talk about this at the next council meeting. Crimes like this are rare here..

59 CLAYCORD.com August 22, 2014 at 10:21 AM

The headline does say “shot at”.

60 ourgovernmentsucks August 22, 2014 at 10:23 AM

This is why we should all carry a gun!!

61 Country Girl August 22, 2014 at 11:20 AM

Area is between 680 and Hwy 4 very rural area and quiet that time of night be very easy for criminal activity to happen along that stretch by out of towners

62 martinezdad August 22, 2014 at 12:09 PM

Sounds like some kind of marijuana rip. I’m sure we aren’t getting the full story from the victims

63 Law Abiding Citizen August 23, 2014 at 8:01 PM

Too bad there’s too many not the most intelligent people in CA.
They believe everything they hear on the news about guns being bad.

PROOF you can use a gun to save your or someone else lives.

Sadly a handful of people I know applied for a CCW in CoCo County and were denied because they didnt have good enough cause.

There you have it, our county is denying our 2nd amendment right.

64 John H. August 24, 2014 at 5:51 PM

No banning of my handguns or other legal gun owners. Libs beware. When this type of clown gets in my neck of the woods, he will be weeded out before the police get to him.