The Claycord Online Museum – Dutch Pride Dairy on Market St. in Concord

August 19, 2014 14:00 pm · 42 comments

dutch_pride

Thanks to “Kirkwood” for this photo of the old Dutch Pride Dairy building on Market St. in Concord.

Check out those prices!

Click on the tag below titled “Claycord Online Museum” to view other items!

1 Cornsnake August 19, 2014 at 2:04 PM

A future Olive Garden – DUH!!!

2 CoolOldPic August 19, 2014 at 2:25 PM

Enjoy these old pictures. The good old days before the time of gangs.

Thank you for the memories.

3 Original G August 19, 2014 at 2:31 PM

Oh yes, remember it well.

4 JET August 19, 2014 at 2:32 PM

I remember a dairy type place on Clayton Rd (where ‘Strictly To Go’ pizza is now), but don’t remember one on Market Street….? What is located on that spot now?

5 DD August 19, 2014 at 2:34 PM

25 CENTS FOR CREAM???!!!

HIGHWAY ROBBERY!!!!!

6 MonumentMan August 19, 2014 at 2:44 PM

It was a drive through. You brought your empty glass bottles back and exchanged them for new full ones. They had the best ice cream. :)

7 VikingPrincess August 19, 2014 at 3:01 PM

My oh my…..that’s what I’m talking about. Yummm

8 Jaydub August 19, 2014 at 3:06 PM

Jet,
The one on clayton rd was also a Dutch Pride Dairy,also a drive thru. First place I bought beer in high school.

9 RunnerDope August 19, 2014 at 3:55 PM

I’m trying to remember exactly how far down Market from Willow Pass this was. In the mid ’60s, the first place was an A&W and then that big Red Quonset hut. Was the dairy just past those two places?

10 Enfield303 August 19, 2014 at 4:22 PM

Ahhh, remember it well. When I worked at Miracle Auto Painting when Iwas in high school the older guys would walk down there and get beer for lunch.

Isn’t there still a drive thru dairy on Clayton Rd. across the street from Kaspers?

11 nytemuvr August 19, 2014 at 4:22 PM

Fudgecycles…

12 Tom August 19, 2014 at 4:59 PM

Maybe .02 miles down from Willow Pass, on the left. Remember it well when visiting my cousins in Concord.

13 MonumentMan August 19, 2014 at 5:01 PM

The Dutch Pride Dairy was located about where the A&W was. There was a Dairy Belle close also. Maybe A&W was built over the The Dutch Pride Dairy. The bid red “quonset hut” was Concord Ice and Fuel. There is an Oil Changer in the spot now. This being this is verrrry foggy in my memory.

14 MonumentMan August 19, 2014 at 5:06 PM

Found this right here on Claycord. Old A&W .

15 Mamatosix August 19, 2014 at 5:12 PM

I loved that place when I was little.

16 nytemuvr August 19, 2014 at 5:13 PM

@RunnerDope #9
Fudgebars, not Fudgecycles……Next to the red Quonset hut, it became a radiator shop after it closed. The pictures are from the ’62 flood.

17 Fritzhugh Ludlow August 19, 2014 at 5:31 PM

There was one in Antioch also in the late 50’s early 60’s. A fun place that My Dad would drive the family to. Milk and Ice cream was good, and an authentic Dutch Man would greet and talk to us as He got our purchase.

18 SpankyFortuna August 19, 2014 at 5:47 PM

We lived on Salvio and N.6th St. 1951-1962. Thanks for the nice memories!

19 Silva August 19, 2014 at 6:02 PM

nytemuvr, WOW! Where did all the water come from?

20 Anon August 19, 2014 at 7:09 PM

They use to have same dairy on Patterson Blvd in Pleasant Hill

21 nytemuvr August 19, 2014 at 7:13 PM

@Silva #19
When 2 hydrogen molecules and 1 oxygen molecule combine you have water….lol
Concord flooded in ’62 (we had a few of them back then). Some informational comments on this thread about Concord flooding in the earlier days, I remember a couple of good ones, but I was only 8 when my Dad took these…..http://claycord.com/2012/06/26/column-the-claycord-online-museum-every-tuesday-at-2pm-on-claycord-com-2/

22 Cautiously Informed August 19, 2014 at 7:19 PM

Rememberer the A&W and Red Barn Furniture next to it? Red Barn Furniture was the big red Quonset hut, mentioned previously. It burned to the ground one summer afternoon in the late 70s.

23 Al Z. Heimer August 19, 2014 at 7:20 PM

I used to work there in the early 90’s when it was Alex’s Radiator. The worst job I ever had! We used the walk-in freezer as a stock room. Twice we were broken into after hours but the thieves couldn’t get past the 18″ thick freezer door so they broke in to Motor Music located next door instead.

24 nytemuvr August 19, 2014 at 7:42 PM

@21….correction
Should have been…..When 2 atoms of hydrogen and 1 atom of oxygen combine you have a water molecule….

25 I believe Concord Fuel & Ice was on the other side of Willow Pass August 19, 2014 at 8:44 PM

located approximately where the freeway on/off ramp is now, at the foot of Clayton Rd. It was owned by John Rubiales, brother of my neighbor, Diego.

26 Mr. Pink August 19, 2014 at 9:46 PM

I think JET is correct in that the Clayton Rd. Dutch Pride was somewhere around where Strictly to go or possible Jack in The Box is now. A&W and miniature golf were around at the same time so it couldn’t have been where A&W was.

27 Dr. Jellyfinger® August 19, 2014 at 10:36 PM

Fritz, that place is still there. I don’t remember what it’s called now….. but it’s still right there on “A” Street.

28 Brandi August 19, 2014 at 10:46 PM

My Grandfather owned that A&W :)

29 MonumentMan August 19, 2014 at 10:56 PM

Concord Ice and Fuel was on Market St. The train ran behind them and unloaded merchandise for the store, I found this picture of Concord Ice and Fuel. Fuzzy memories for sure,

Thanks for reminding me of Red Barn Furniture. That was the red quonset hut.

30 Silva August 20, 2014 at 5:53 AM

nytemuver, Oh yeah. I do remember the endless heavy rains that year. Highway 24 became a river for awhile. We were in Lafayette for that. The local creek rose almost to the bridge, maybe 20′. Our yard and garage floor were underwater. My mom got sandbags somehow.

31 Jojo potato August 20, 2014 at 8:23 AM

Walnut creek had a drive through dairy too. I remember it as the “Milk Depot”. Located about where Newell ave starts up the a hill east past Broadway. Never went their much since the milkman came to our house. He would announce himself “milkman” and come right in. Loaded the fresh bottles in the fridge and took the empties from near the back door. The guinea pigs would chatter away when the fridge door opened. Good times.

32 Silva August 20, 2014 at 8:32 AM

nytemuver, Thanks for the great photos again!

33 Silva August 20, 2014 at 8:38 AM

Our milkman had a key to the door, as no one was home to let him in, My mom worked and I was at school. He replaced what milk we had used, if mom wanted anything different (ice cream, cottage cream, cheese, cream) she left a note on the table Tuesday. Yep. Good times.

34 Silva August 20, 2014 at 8:44 AM

MonumentMan, You too, thanks. Very cool.

35 Chester E. Kitty August 20, 2014 at 10:25 AM

Loved this place! My mom would drive through when I was little and get Sidewalk Sundae ice cream bars. Oh … and milk, of course. Does anyone remember the dairy on Willow Pass Road that had the huge cow??

36 Kirkwood August 20, 2014 at 11:52 AM

@16 & 18
I bet those pics were from the great ’86 Pineapple Express storm that rained almost nonstop for 5 days. It flooded the intersections of Con Blvd, Willow Pass, Market St and Pine St. Ellis lake was overflowing onto Ellis St & Con Bl, and Walnut Creek channel was almost to the top. Today that channel has 6′ of silt.
I believe the last wet year we had was ’92 or ’94 and Walnut creek was about 3′ from the top behind the Hilton.

37 MonumentMan August 20, 2014 at 2:14 PM

Chester E Kitty.(huge cow). I’m thinking of Matson’s Creamery. It was located near to today’s Safeway on Willow Pass. It was a fun, bright, clean place. Had a few milk shakes there back in the day.

38 MonumentMan August 20, 2014 at 2:14 PM

Thanks for the comment Silva :)

39 RunnerDope August 20, 2014 at 2:48 PM

Jojo potato,

Back in the ’60s, Newell didn’t go straight up the hill like it does now. You had to make a left turn to get up to San Miguel. The dairy was right where you make that left turn. There was a dirt foot trail that went up the hill where the road is now. I believe it was called the DuMor Dairy.

Kirkwood, Nytemuver said the photos were from 1962 and the cars semm to confirm that.

40 Jojo Potato August 20, 2014 at 3:58 PM

My WC memories are not 100% clear, we can agree on that. I tend to think that Newell goes off to the right up to San Miquel. The original road made a left turn and then up the hill. I do know something about that hill however. My family lived on San Miquel at the top of that Newell hill. That would be for about a year circa 1960. This was a temporary arrangement while our house was being moved from 1620 Newell ave to 1680 Lilac drive as a result of the 680 freeway being constructed. It was a funny old house but had a major advantage from my point of view by having a large grove of bamboo and a shack that became our clubhouse.

41 Kirkwood August 21, 2014 at 10:53 AM

@RunnerDope
That very well could have been – I was away in the military in 1962. We used to have wet years about 7-8 years apart and really wet years 10-15 years apart. During one of those storms I remember standing on the Bancroft bridge over Walnut Creek with the water lapping at the roadway ( I might have movies of that) Trees and logs hitting the bridge caused it to shiver and houses along Cherry Lane were flooded. Parts of Sherman Acres and Gregory Gardens were also flooded, probably due to inadequate drainage. I think this was in the ’50’s.

42 Kirkwood August 21, 2014 at 2:23 PM

I made a mistake – The bridge across the creek was on Treat between Bancroft and N. Main/C.C. Blvd.

It was a long time ago.