Former Welterweight Boxing Champ Sentenced for Six Bank Robberies (one in Walnut Creek)

August 19, 2014 · 21 comments

bandit

A former welterweight boxing champion from Pittsburg was sentenced in federal court in Oakland today to seven years and three months in prison for the unarmed robberies of six East Bay banks last year.

James Quindale Page, 43, was sentenced by U.S. District Judge Jeffrey White. He pleaded guilty to the six robberies in February.

Page, whose nickname was “The Mighty Quinn,” was a professional boxer in the 1990s and held the World Boxing Association’s welterweight title from 1998 to 2000.

He pleaded guilty to robbing six banks in Walnut Creek, Pleasanton, Oakley, Emeryville, Antioch and Lafayette of a total of $17,796 between March 6, 2013 and June 8, 2013.

Page was unarmed in the robberies and each time gave the teller a note with a message such as “This is a robbery. Give me all your money,” according to prosecutors.

U.S. Attorney Melinda Haag said that in addition to pleading guilty to six counts, Page admitted during his plea to having robbed two additional banks in Walnut Creek and Antioch of $2,939 in May 2013.

The FBI called the suspect in the heists the “Button Down Bandit” because the perpetrator wore long-sleeved, button-down collared shirts. Page has a tattoo on his neck, according to the FBI. He has been in custody since his arrest on June 10, 2013.

At the time of his arrest, Page was on probation from an 11-year sentence for two unarmed bank robberies and one attempted bank robbery committed in Atlanta in December 2001.

Page’s sentence today included five years and three months for the East Bay robberies and two years for violating his probation.

Defense attorney Ellen Leonida said in a sentencing brief Page suffered from a type of brain damage known as “dementia pugilistic,” resulting from repeated blows to his head during his boxing days.

After being released from prison in 2012, Page tried to make a comeback but was defeated by Rahman Yusubov in his attempted comeback fight in Sacramento on Nov. 17, 2012.

Leonida wrote that the 2013 robberies followed Page’s “devastating” realization that his boxing career was over when he lost that fight.

1 Walnut Creek Resident August 19, 2014 at 10:28 PM

Too bad he had to do those bank robberies when he was such a neat guy in the beginning I’m sorry he made those decisions but now he has to pay!

2 Tom August 19, 2014 at 10:34 PM

I think this guys problem is more like addiction to bank robbery. He’s powerless over the next robbery the minute he gets out. Wow.

3 Marianne August 19, 2014 at 10:43 PM

Put him away!

4 Realist August 19, 2014 at 11:42 PM

Atleast it was a unarmed bank robbery. He didn’t hurt anyone so I consider it a victimless crime. Banks got plenty of money!

5 anon August 19, 2014 at 11:46 PM

why does the name ‘James’ come up so often for crimes?

6 Jerk August 19, 2014 at 11:55 PM

How long will his “probation” be this time? As we can see how much that ELEVEN year probation helped.

7 dementia bluecollarus August 20, 2014 at 6:10 AM

I just had a “devastating” realization that I don’t even have a career , just a crappy job. I’m trying to figure out what my course of action should be.

8 TooBad August 20, 2014 at 6:53 AM

Story is kind of sad. His career is over and he’s got a form of dementia due to his career. I remember seeing the stories about the bank robberies and thinking the same thoughts as @Realist.

9 Rollo Tomasi August 20, 2014 at 7:38 AM

@ Realist:

Sounds like you’ll be ready to roll if the “Occupy” losers ever get traction again. Keep your EBT cards under your mattress beneath the overpass, do you?

10 Anonymous August 20, 2014 at 8:14 AM

Yeah, ’cause we all turn to bank robbery as soon as we find out we are unemployed/unemployable.

Just because he didn’t use a weapon doesn’t mean it is not a stressful event for the teller. Realist has obviously never been robbed. I agree with Tom; it sounds more like an addiction than the need for money. James probably misses the thrill of being in the ring and winning and this is how he fills the void. Sad… the void will never be filled by crime.

11 What security August 20, 2014 at 9:25 AM

I would have hired him for an underground fight club event.
I hope he gets out soon and save the bed for a real criminal.
He stimulated the economy trickle down baby trickle down

WTF is going on in Martinez, they put the brother away and let the white child molester roam the streets

Shame on them.

12 The Mamba August 20, 2014 at 9:39 AM

He’s been hit in the head too much, that’s really sad.

13 Who robs banks anymore? August 20, 2014 at 10:31 AM

With today’s technology and security systems these people really think theyre going to get away with it?!

14 Anon2you August 20, 2014 at 12:25 PM

Down goes Page, Down goes Page, Down goes Page….

No not funny I know but I couldn’t resist… Bank robberies are not victimless crimes (@Realist), theft of any kind cost US money at the end of the day… This seems sad because he had a ‘career’ in boxing and seemed to be grabbing his dream by the tail… Not good for him or his family, but still nowadays my sympathy level has dropped so much that IF you do the crime you got to do the time! I mean bad things have happened to me, I have lost careers (a couple time) in my life, and I never resorted to bank robbery or crimes. BUT now that I am looking at College Tuition for my kids, I may consider it…

15 Cowellian August 20, 2014 at 1:48 PM

Anon2you@14,
I thought it was funny.

16 PhilthyPHRESH August 20, 2014 at 3:53 PM

Did the guy that robbed a WC bank, ten years or so ago, ever get caught? The guy that used the creek to get away, I remember school was on lockdown because he was seen naked on LL campus, LOL. Anybody know if that dude got caught?

17 Darwin August 20, 2014 at 4:02 PM

He is about to be TKO’d

18 Ganit August 20, 2014 at 4:18 PM

I’m impressed he got that much money with just hand-written NOTES!!!!! Who gives away money that easily????

19 Passerby August 20, 2014 at 7:33 PM

This guy’s problems started before he was a boxing champ. He got fired from a local gym where he worked, wait for it…….. for stealing!

20 John H. August 21, 2014 at 2:40 AM

death row… get him out of here

21 my cousin August 24, 2014 at 4:08 AM

dayum that is my cousin wow