PIC: Water Line Breaks in Walnut Creek

August 18, 2014 · 19 comments

water

A water line broke in Walnut Creek on Monday night, and spilled thousands of gallons of water on to Grover Lane and surrounding streets.

The water was eventually shut off by East Bay MUD, and repairs are underway.

Thanks to Jayson for the picture!

1 dIRTY hARRY August 19, 2014 at 12:01 AM

I hope the saved most of it to water Heather farms and Civic Park. Waste not want not. I save my bath water to water the trees.

2 Wellgeez August 19, 2014 at 12:09 AM

What caused it to break?

3 CLAYCORD.com August 19, 2014 at 12:23 AM

Not sure yet.

4 S August 19, 2014 at 12:58 AM

Ut oh, not a good time for that. ^^Saving bath water to water trees seems a bit odd to me. I’m sure the trees don’t want or need soapy bath water. Unless of course you dont use soap when you bathe(lol if that’s true). Either way, the picture I get of some person bucketing out their used dirty water, walking it through their home makes my mind wonder…are we really in a need to be that desperate? If you really want to save water. Shower instead of bathing. Use a water saving shower head and turn off when you scrub up. Smh

5 Beef! August 19, 2014 at 5:56 AM

Is EBMUD going to fine itself for wasting water?

6 Cowellian August 19, 2014 at 6:49 AM

I hope that no hydrants were harmed in the making of this deluge.

7 Z-Man August 19, 2014 at 6:56 AM

There was a main break a couple weeks back in SSF, and neighbors were grabbing buckets and collecting the water and irrigating with it, while it ran down the street. Ingenious!

8 Waste August 19, 2014 at 7:06 AM

Big waste of water. What a shame.

9 Connie Dobbs August 19, 2014 at 7:33 AM

I hope aspirin reported them to the Authorities.

10 lights and sirens August 19, 2014 at 8:13 AM

Maybe walnut creek excepted the als ice bucket challenge!

11 Silva August 19, 2014 at 9:02 AM

#1, Yeah. That’s how it’s done! Good work. Your trees will thank you, and most of us do too!

12 The Mamba August 19, 2014 at 9:02 AM

But don’t even think about washing your car!

13 Lisa August 19, 2014 at 9:29 AM

@S. Really? Maybe she does take a shower with a bucket on the floor to catch the water that would otherwise go down the drain. And even if she does tub bathe, ya really thing that trees that are growing in the dirty ground are going to complain about dirty water? Soap won’t hurt them either. Haven’t you ever tossed used water in a bucket from washing a car onto plants? I have. Guess what plants did not die. My goodness……

14 Rancheratheart August 19, 2014 at 10:07 AM

Anyone else find this completely ironic given the article about our ancient and failing water infrastructure in the paper this weekend?

15 MrDioji August 19, 2014 at 10:40 AM

@14. No it is not ironic. Main breaks happen everyday. Some are larger/more catastrophic than others. Some mains continually leak slowly into the ground and go unnoticed. Infrastructure is in poor shape, but I people are finally realizing we need to invest large amounts of money into upgrades and maintenance.

16 Wellgeez August 19, 2014 at 10:59 AM

Soapy water is a great natural pesticide

17 Marianne August 19, 2014 at 11:23 AM

How much are the water bills going up now because of this, I already pay to much to the district as it is!

18 Rancheratheart August 19, 2014 at 11:27 AM

@15…you are missing the point. It is ironic, you proved my point…and yes, I know mains break everyday, I work in underground construction and this is exactly the work we perform. You might want to go back and read the article it was in Sunday’s paper. It addressed the fact that we need more $$$ to revamp our failing water transmissions systems in the Bay Area or we are going to see more and more of these breaks if we don’t address it, not to mention the amount of water that is leaking daily in a drought.

19 @S August 19, 2014 at 12:32 PM

You are a bit odd to us.