Dog Dies After Attack at the Baldwin Park Dog Park in Concord

August 17, 2014 · 102 comments

A dog has died after an attack at the Baldwin Park Dog Park in Concord, according to the victim’s owner.

Here’s the story from the owner….

I wanted to share an experience I had last weekend at Baldwin Dog Park located in Downtown Concord Saturday evening.

Shortly after I arrived at the park my friends small dog was bit in the face, by a large breed dog (not pitbull). Although my friend’s dog turned out to be ok, before we could react my small dog was attacked by the same dog less than a minute later.

There were at least 8-10 other small breeds around my dog at the time. The moment happened as quick as lightning. There was no time to react.

A nice couple helped me get the info from the dog’s owner as we rushed to the car trying to get my dog to urgent care as soon as possible (I’m sad to say he did not make it).

I decided to file a report with Animal Control in hopes that this dog would be evaluated and put on certain public safety restrictions if necessary. I wish no harm to this dog, I just wanted to ensure this didn’t happen again and that other dogs and people would be safe.

After speaking with Animal Control, it turns out that because we were at a public “enclosed off leash dog park” both parties are considered responsible for the attack (if we were outside the fence it would be a different outcome). A report has been filed against the dog and its owner but apparently nothing will be done unless there are prior cases on file with this dog.

I will be solely responsible for the medical expenses. I really don’t care about the money, my concern with this entire situation is that that potentially dangerous dogs are allowed to enter these dog parks and are somehow protected by law within the “enclosed fenced area”. It just doesn’t seem right to me.

I wanted to share my story on Claycord to make others aware of the potential risks when you enter a dog park. I used to think it was a great place to socialize your pet. I no longer feel that way.

That’s just awful. So sorry to hear about your dog.

Baldwin Park is currently closed. It is unknown if this attack has anything to do with the closure.

1 Jerk August 17, 2014 at 12:43 PM

Another reason Why I DO NOT go to those places. It could have been a freak accident, either way now you have to pay. Forget that, be creative and DON’T go to where other NON-SOCIALIZED dogs are.
PS – Those that are too lazy to take your dogs out – My front yard is not considered taking your dog out. Get in the car and go somewhere, Lazy!

2 The Realist August 17, 2014 at 12:44 PM

And this is why I never take the pooch to place like this, with people like you all. ****ty owners who don’t control their pets or even train them properly in the first place. Breed doesn’t matter, it’s the ****py owners that should be put down when “accidents” happen.

3 Lizzie August 17, 2014 at 12:45 PM

I am so sorry about the loss of your beloved little dog..and thank you for alerting others about this..

4 I'm sorta August 17, 2014 at 12:48 PM

not surprised this happened. I feel bad for the victim(s), but even though there’s signage about hostile animals, there’s NO enforcement people there to carry out any laws that may be violated. What’s the point of signage, if there’s no “on site person” to enforce anything? It’s like a pool that has no lifeguard. It makes the rules moot.

5 Anonalon August 17, 2014 at 12:49 PM

Dog parks are not good for dogs . Period. Too many variables you can’t control. Not worth it. Sure if you have a group of known friends and you meet up, great. But any ol’ dog and any ol’ owner with unknown training and intent is a tinder box.

Sorry that happened. Hope it serves as a lesson to others :(

6 Young1 August 17, 2014 at 12:49 PM

Thanks for sharing this story. I didn’t know aggressive dogs were protected simply because they are in an enclosed dog fence area. Shouldn’t the law stand regardless of a fence? Who made up these laws? A dog bite is a dog bite. It’s dangerous and obviously can cause death. Can the public set up a petition to have this “rule” “law” changed?

7 Pleasant Hill Mom August 17, 2014 at 12:51 PM

I refuse to take my dogs out at all. I have tried to walk them there is an influx of people walking dogs off leash and I have 2 pit pull mixes. We luckily have a large backyard. We play enough to make sure they get enough exercise. I am so sorry for the loss of your beloved fur baby

8 Landana August 17, 2014 at 12:55 PM

I won’t take my dogs to a dog park but I thought that most of them have two areas, on for small dogs and puppy’s and one for larger dogs. I know Heather farms and Hillcrest have two areas. I believe that the small dog areas are 30 lbs and under. I think the owner of the large dog should be held responsible regardless. Fyi, I have two larger dogs, they have never hurt a person or a nother dog. But they have shown signs that they don’t care for all dogs, this is why they don’t go to dog parks.

9 Jason Ruderman August 17, 2014 at 12:55 PM

What the other person said. That is awful, and so sorry to hear about your dog. I was just at Baldwin Park Friday.

10 Nic August 17, 2014 at 12:55 PM

I am so incredibly sorry this happened to you and I am very sorry that Animal Control cannot do anything. If you are in an enclosed fence or not, there are rules posted on the fence about not allowing aggressive dogs into the park, isn’t there? It’s been awhile since I’ve been there but I recall such signs posted. I have a small breed (20 lbs) and I used to take her there. My 3 year old and I were walking her about 6 weeks ago and we were attacked by a pit bull off the leash. My son had marks on his neck, my dog was bit. I called the Concord Police Department, they didn’t come out. Instead they said I had to call Animal Control (It was 8p on a Sunday night). Animal Control was closed and it is also closed on Mondays. So the message at Animal Control directed me to call the Sheriff’s Office. So I call the Sheriff’s Office and all they could do was take a “message” and pass it along to Animal Control. So needless to say 3 days LATER, I get a call from Animal Control. They called when I was dropping my son off at Preschool. I called them back within 5 min and there was a 90 min waiting hold time to speak to someone. Just seems RIDICULOUS! I couldn’t believe after an attack on me and my son and dog, that I had to jump thru hoop after hoop after hoop to try and just get a hold of someone. I didn’t have the “address” of this loose dog so they cannot do anything. However, if Concord PD just came out right away, they would’ve seen the dog and the owners who finally heard my screams and shrills to come get their dog off of us…then the PD could’ve filed report and got the owners information. Bottom line is you call these agencies to get help, and it seems as you get anything but help! So, I have taken matters into my own hands, bought mace and now carry it on my key chain and take it with me every evening on our walks with our dog. Again, I am sorry for the loss of your pet and I am so sorry that Animal Control cannot do anything, but it’s really no surprise to me…

11 oak grove posse August 17, 2014 at 1:01 PM

What if the dog had attacked a person instead?is that considered a calculated risk of going to the park?

12 BagsFlyFree August 17, 2014 at 1:09 PM

Baldwin can get rowdy at times when people are filling up the dog park with 15+ dogs. This is a dog park I wouldn’t recommend co-mingling small and big breeds. Take your small pup to the small side to avoid any big dog bully behavior. This is definitely not the small dog owners fault, and the Rottweiler owner should have immediately made distance between the pack to cool off and evaluate the dogs behavior. Dog parks aren’t obedience class, so please train your dog and gradually socialize them with both small and large dogs before unleashing a potential furry weapon to unsuspecting dogs.

BFF Out!

13 Khloe August 17, 2014 at 1:12 PM

Why was there a big dog in the small enclosed area? I’m so sorry for your loss. I feel awful. Your such a kind & forgiving person.

14 Kristen August 17, 2014 at 1:12 PM

So sorry. That must have been very scary for all involved. We took our dog as a puppy to a dog park once and I was terrified by all of the big, aggressive dogs running around, some picking fights with every dog they encountered. All breeds are allowed which is a recipe for disaster if you ask me.

15 the Shi ite August 17, 2014 at 1:20 PM

Nic #10, I’m not surprised at all at your story.
Nearly ten years ago I came home to a fence board knocked out but placed up against the garage & both dogs gone. The larger dog (even though he was fixed) is the one they took and just allowed the younger female to run around the neighborhood. Well, somebody called Animal Control about the young female, but my neighbors were able to catch her right around the time the Animal Control showed up – Animal Control wasn’t happy about that, because they WANTED that dog for the impound fees.
I came home and found canned dog food on the driveway, the fence board standing up against the garage & I called the police, they showed up within the hour and did a report (Animal Control had already left and never interacted with me). My neighbor brought over my female which I was thankful for. The weekend went by and then came Memorial Day Monday – The Animal Control shows up!!!! They don’t give a f*** about my stolen dog, no no no, All that they care about is that my 6 month old female is REGISTERED!
F YOU!!! You people have some nerve, and on a HOLIDAY!

When reviewing security camera footage it looked like a boy on a bmx bike going up to my fence and taking the dog – What I found out later was it was a homeless girl. I never got the dog back.
Even more sad is that the Animal Control Officer to me that the reason that they do not live in Contra Costa County is because the rules & regulations are too strict! Sure, you disagree with the regulations but enjoy socking it to all of us peasants – Whatever.
PS – I would go back to that area Often where this attack happened and bring a camera, eventually this dog will show up again. Pack a can of brake cleaner for that …..

16 Mee August 17, 2014 at 1:22 PM

Sorry for your loss. That is Very sad.. We are having an issue with a large dog up the street always off leash. And it doesn’t matter if you have your dog on a leash, if the other one is off leash, it can attack your dog and your dog is even at a disadvantage. Also if you try to pick your dog up you can be attacked as well. Off leash dogs are illegal for a reason. On sidewalks etc. Paths… It sucks because there is only one way out of our place and you have to go by that dog off leash and is out sometimes.. We called animal control and we need a video of it off leash because they are lying their way out of it right now. Sucks.. Also already the owner woman of the off leash dog pushed my neighbor, so it is getting bad. Let the law handle it. They came, but did not know who to believe. I am a witness that can verify that , happens to be a pit as well, I have seen off leash more than once..

17 gonzo August 17, 2014 at 1:26 PM

So sad rip to your beloved dog. I’ve seen many big dogs at Baldwin off leash in and out of dog area

18 The owner of the big dog August 17, 2014 at 1:30 PM

should have taken responsibility for his dog. As he apparently has not, a pox on his house.

19 yoda August 17, 2014 at 1:40 PM

so sorry…much love to you and yours..thats close to home…Godbless..

20 Big Ray August 17, 2014 at 1:44 PM

I hate to see prejudice when all dogs are created equal, I am extremely sorry for the tragic and abrupt loss of a beloved pet. Their are certain triggers that are part of dogs behavior and they are relevant no matter the size and past issues concerning animal control (although they do help monitor and maintain safety). Understanding how your dog interacts with and ‘plays’ with other dogs is key to being under control, it’s about maintaining a safe environment and being responsible. I think every altercation should be addressed independently, as they are often just as unique as the dogs involved. Understanding how your dog interacts is also key to being a step ahead of them, noting the issue before it arises and literally controlling ‘verbally’ moments before they would react or notice it themselves. I’ll correct my dog on a walk the moment I see a problem, this kind of confuses my girl, until she notices it too, by that time I’ve taken things well under control. Safety first, always, never assume! A dog park isn’t a place to drop your vigilance for one moment, they are dogs at the end of the day we are their owners.

21 T&D August 17, 2014 at 1:45 PM

I was at the dog park with my pups when it happened- very sad to hear that the dog did not make it. I’m so sorry for your loss. Happened so quickly I think everyone in there was in shock. Still can’t get the image out of my head.

22 anonanonagain August 17, 2014 at 1:53 PM

I am so sorry for the loss of your dog. This has to be painful for you. RIP.
This is such a coincidence since I was having this exact conversation just yesterday as I was contemplating getting a dog. My friend was telling me never to take my dog to the dog park because this is more common than people think. Also many people do not fix their dogs or get them their required shots. I hope that this is false……

23 Marissa August 17, 2014 at 1:55 PM

Sorry to hear about this awful news! RIP

24 That's All Folks! August 17, 2014 at 1:55 PM

Bummer about your little fur friend, pets are part of the family and tragic events like this are painful.
Sorry for your loss.

25 anon August 17, 2014 at 1:56 PM

I think the only thing that Animal Control does is pick up road kill. My neighbors dogs bark 7 days a week and nothing is done by Animal control. I would think that after all these years some type of barking dog enforcement should be a put into law and enforced.

26 Big Ray August 17, 2014 at 1:59 PM

Understanding behavioral cues is vital in maintaining control, our last dog trainer Sarah understood how dogs would act at the dog park and training ring of pet smart with posture and tail position. If any of the owners at the park that day had any idea I’m sure they would of intervened, The larger dog could of been taking out long before the original altercation of it’s owner noticed anything alarming, just as well the other parties should have just as much responsible control so they don’t trigger a negative response. Knowing the behavioral cues empowers us to take action instead of just watching things unfold. Dog parks are positive places for dogs to socialize, not their owners.

27 Lorelei August 17, 2014 at 2:17 PM

Does the fenced area have any restrictions on shooting an attacking dog?

28 Jar Head August 17, 2014 at 2:23 PM

Would the law be the same if you were to bite the owner while inside of the dog park ? Or would it be OK and there is nothing they can do because you were both inside of the dog park ?

29 Responsible dog owner August 17, 2014 at 2:25 PM

I’ve been at that dog park many times and I can tell you one of the problems are the parents of the dogs who don’t even pay attention to their dogs. another problem is in the big dog park why are people bringing in their little pups to run around nipping legs and not obey their owners. Owners are too busy visiting with friends that they fail to notice their dog pooping and then don’t even pick up dog poop which is everywhere. You tell the owners to keep the dog from humping yours and they just look at you like you are the idiot. So when your dog growls at them from being humped one too many times the stupid owner looks at you like your dog is vicious. It’s the people who are stupid. Why else have pimples gotten such a bad rap?

30 Responsible dog owner August 17, 2014 at 2:33 PM

*pittbills

31 MotherTrucker August 17, 2014 at 2:34 PM

What good is animal control or Concord PD, seems like they can never do anything! I have lost all respect for the ones that are to serve and protect!
Serve and protect my A$$!

Very sorry for your loss and hope the other dog owner at least helps with the expenses.

32 Mir24 August 17, 2014 at 2:36 PM

I have been bringing my two pups to Baldwin for the last 9 months but wasn’t there when this happened. I felt really bad when I heard about this and I do worry about fights. I’m shocked that there is nothing Animal Control can do. One of my dogs really needs to run and isn’t good on recall, so the dog park has been wonderful for us. Most people are regulars and the dogs get along. There are a lot of small dogs in the big dog section because many households have dogs of both sizes. I know a lot of people who will never take their dogs to a dog park, even my vet shook her head when I told her we were now going twice a day. The Baldwin dog park is currently closed due to a Giardia infection. I heard it would reopen after a few days, so I’m hoping it will reopen tomorrow. My problem is with parents letting their toddlers under the age of 2 run around in the big dog section!!

33 Kat Howard August 17, 2014 at 2:55 PM

I’m sorry for the loss of your pet. I used to love to take my pitbull to the dog park. But too many dog owners would being their tiny dogs into the big dog side. I would see the the big dogs acting like a pack going after the little dog. My dog isn’t aggressive. She just likes to play, but some new dog owners were so afraid of any dog playing with their dog it made it very uncomfortable. To me what is the point of bringing your dog in if you were that scared. I was nervous at first also, but she loved it. I started bringing her since she was 4 months old. I hated to give it up, but it was the people that ruined it, not the dogs.

34 old concord August 17, 2014 at 3:12 PM

That’s another stupid law . Where do people come up with this crap .

35 molly August 17, 2014 at 3:13 PM

i have a pitbull and she was bitten at the antioch dog park by another dog and the owner did nothing it is how the people raise there dogs thats is why they are mean it is so sad to hear about your dog i had taken my dog to the park about 6 times and she was fine just like to run and strecth her legs never bothered any other dog never slept outside a day in her life except when these kids in the neigborhood kicked in my fench and stole her then someone tried to sell her we got her back home safe

36 Kirk August 17, 2014 at 3:17 PM

Dog parks are where several bad dog owners exercise their dogs. 90% are serious owners 10% have no business owning a dog. The dog park benches of Newhall are always full of hungover white trash on Saturday and Sunday.

Arrange play dates for your dog like you would for your kids.

37 Mary Fouts August 17, 2014 at 3:22 PM

So sorry for your loss. We would never take our 14-year old Chow-Mix Titus to another dog park. We tried both the PH Paso Nogal and the Concord Newhall dog parks after we adopted Titus from the County Shelter when he was 5-yrs old. Both parks appeared to be more a human social area (dog owners not paying attention), and sometimes too many dogs for the area. Titus was attached 3 times by groups (2 to 3) of Pit Bulls, Boxers, and Weimaraners. We stopped going. While we have a big back yard and Titus love his leash walks, we have found Briones Regional Park in Martinez off Reliez Valley Rd to be nice for off leash walks and hikes. Plenty of room, not the crowded dog park mentality. Just be sure your dog will come back via voice command, as Briones is a very, very large area.

38 Kirk August 17, 2014 at 3:26 PM

@Nic when you have your dog out the best weapon to have is a solid pair of boots. I damn near kicked a pitbulls head clean off on the job one day. Hey I saved the idiot owner from a 300,000 dollar lawsuit.

Boots for the dog, pepper spray for the owner.

39 Landana August 17, 2014 at 3:26 PM

@big ray
Too often do I see dog owners laughing or joking about their dogs behavior thinking it’s cute. Not understanding that it’s a warning sign of something bad potentially happening.

40 Darryl McCollum August 17, 2014 at 3:28 PM

Sorry to hear about your loss. I have had great experiences at Baldwin. My yellow lab loves to go and interact with other dogs. I have no idea where the attack took place but is sounds as if you were on the small dog side of the park based on the number of small dogs around your dog. If so, there should be NO reason for a large breed to be on that side. The owner should be held accountable as there are signs limiting the size animals allowed on that side. I will say that as a large dog owner I do worry every time that small dogs are in the large breed side of the park. My 95 lb yellow lab doesn’t have a mean bone in his body but his body is BIG. He will play with all dogs and I always worry about him stepping on small dogs or rolling them accidently when they run side by side or when they are playing. Ultimately it is the human’s responsibility to control their dogs and to choose to follow the rules of the park! I hope that the owner of the aggressive animal will at a minimum recognize their dog should not be at the park and ideally would reach out and offer to pay for the vet bills. If any of you readers do bring your small dogs into the big dog side (it is highly discouraged) and they get stepped on or rolled please understand, that is probably not aggression, it is play. There are two sides to the park for the same reason children’s sports programs are broken up by age, so that everyone may have fun in the safest way possible.

41 Realist August 17, 2014 at 3:47 PM

I made the mistake of taking my dog there once. The park is ghetto! And not maintained at all. Once inside the dog park people were smoking cigarettes and one lady was rolling around on the ground with my dog while holding her cigarettes!!! I was digested with the people there and left immediately. Newhall Park and Heather Farms are a way better choice to take ur dog to. Keep it classy Concord.

42 Aldrige Family August 17, 2014 at 4:03 PM

43 Wellgeez August 17, 2014 at 4:07 PM

Has anyone cofirmed this incident?

44 Kayla B August 17, 2014 at 4:07 PM

Aww, I am so sorry for your loss. RIP beautiful boy.

45 Nani August 17, 2014 at 4:09 PM

Little dogs seem to get under the skin of these big aggressive dogs and there should be separate areas for both.

46 Kayla B August 17, 2014 at 4:10 PM

I’m also glad you mentioned that it was not a Pitbull. Much respect. I’m sure a lot would have made assumptions and rude comments towards the breed. Any dog can attack it just depends on the owner. Never the dogs fault. I hate reading about these kind of things, so sad :( RIP.

47 Just me August 17, 2014 at 4:20 PM

Shouldn’t have had your little dog in the big dog area. That’s why they’re segregated. Lesson learned

48 karen duncan August 17, 2014 at 4:33 PM

so sorry to hear about that event .Its supposed to be a happy place not sad.M

49 What the hell? August 17, 2014 at 4:39 PM

I haven’t read the posted comments prior to this note but what I want to know is.. Has the owner of the attacking dog offered to pay ALL of your vet bills? I sure as hell hope so.

50 Witness August 17, 2014 at 4:50 PM

I was there, as was about 8 other people and their animals. The dog that was the attacker was a Rottweiler. Any breed can attack

51 The thing is August 17, 2014 at 5:21 PM

that poor dog was on the large breed side of the park, as were all the other small breed pups. I see this all the time at baldwin, everyone knows eachother so the regulars dont mind letting their different sized dogs mingle. I hate to be the one to say it but perhaps this will be a lesson. Ive seen dogs of all sizes play and socialize and be just fine, and thats usually how it goes, but this proves that you just never know. The breed sizes are separated because large dogs may see small dogs as prey, its their instinct. I still think the owner and large dog should be held accountable. Holding both parties responsible because it was in an enclosed park is rediculous; if a child was attacked and died what do you think would happen? Im very sorry for your loss and i hope some form of justice is served for what happened. Thank you for sharing your story

52 Jimbo August 17, 2014 at 5:32 PM

And now from another point of view…. I was at the dog park at the time the event occurred. More facts…the dog that died was a very small (less than 8 pound toy/miniature breed). At Baldwin Park there are two separate fenced in areas… One for Small Dogs (under 30lbs) and one for Large Dogs (over 30 lbs)… At the time and for some reason I have no clue about all the owners of the small dogs decided it would be “OK” to all be in the large dog side. There were actually about 6 dogs over 30 lbs and about 15 dogs under 30 lbs. The “large” dog in question was a young American Rottweiler. All of the owners both large and small seemed to be watching their dogs adequately…HOWEVER it typically becomes a game of “Oh…look at how that small dog isn’t afraid of that big dog that’s 10 times his size”…”look how cute”… “they aren’t afraid of you big dogs”… The owner here did nothing wrong and all the owners were within 10 feet of their dogs in case something happened….and I’m not saying that they were involved in any of those comments… However the dog in question was NOT vicious. It was EXTREMELY large. Did it bite another dog immediately before this? that’s what was said..but I didn’t see it.. I did see the large dogs continually try to tip-toe and skirt the many smaller dogs. And when an approximately 80 pound dog tries to tell a 5 pound dog to back off…especially a young 80 pound dog sometimes the first attempt at “leave me alone” is enough to have consequences.
For those of you that are so against dog parks… That’s your prerogative, however I’d say you haven’t been to this dog park to see for yourself. As someone who goes to this dog park almost every day the fact is is that incidents like this are rare. In fact this is the only one that has occurred this year at that park. Do dogs get bit there, Yep, Do they get in fights, Sometimes, But for me my dog goes everywhere I go and I can tell you the rewards of a highly socialized , calm and confident dog outweigh the rare issues or “maybe’s” that occur. Has my dog been bit, Yes… did it matter…NOPE… it healed and my dog no longer does the thing that triggered the dog to bite. And don’t get me wrong Dogs are not Children however you wouldn’t keep your child locked up and never introduced to other children and you shouldn’t do that for your dog either. If you can’t socialize your dog..then you don’t need one. And if I might also add…the fear of Pit Bulls (especially at this park) are extremely unfounded. In fact the largest of incidents of aggression at this park are from Huskies. Pit Bulls have been the friendliest and most playful of all the breeds there. AND at this park the owners of Pits are on top of every single act of aggression that has surfaced. With the Pits and the owners at that park I’d turn my back to every single one of them… never fearing that there might be an issue.

53 Rob August 17, 2014 at 5:42 PM

While horrible, that is a risk people take when they go to a off-leash dog park. I can’t speak to the Park in question, however, the parks I have been to typically have a section for large dogs and one for small dogs. I’ve never owned a small dog, but if I did, I don’t think I would let it run around with large dogs.
I am one of those folks who likes dogs and I have had dogs most of my life, however, I make no mistake in thinking that all dogs are peaceful creatures or that a dog that is normally might not attack for some reason.

54 Not small dog side??? August 17, 2014 at 5:49 PM

I heard that this occurred on the large dog side and not the small dog side. We take our small dogs there almost daily and it is NOT the “ghetto” that some might describe it as (verbally challenged that they are). I’ve seen worse at other dog parks in the greater Bay Area. If you don’t like Baldwin, take your sorry ass attitude elsewhere. We are better off w/o your type anyway!

Happy to be here!

55 Khloe August 17, 2014 at 5:58 PM

Any descent person would pay for the vet bills whether the law finds them accountable or not. I accidentally ran over my neighbors cat at night making a sharp turn into my driveway 10 years ago. I told her the horrible news, found the cat, drove her & the cat to the vet & paid the bill.

56 Claycord bro August 17, 2014 at 6:00 PM

This is why all dogs should be banned

57 Dorie August 17, 2014 at 6:06 PM

Anyone get a pic of this aggressive dog so we will what to look for

58 Anonalon August 17, 2014 at 6:19 PM

Everyone says “it happened so fast.” No it didn’t. There were signs that everyone there missed . I can guarantee it.

59 @Nani #45 August 17, 2014 at 6:22 PM

Small dogs can be aggressive, too. I hope you mean people should keep them home as well.

60 anon August 17, 2014 at 6:24 PM

A dog trainer told me years ago that dog parks are bad news.

“Take several dogs that do not know each other, put them in an enclosed area, add in balls, treats, toys and other ‘resources’ and then see if they don’t get territorial.”

I’m so sorry for the loss of your beloved pet. And the brutal, sudden way it happened.

I personally do not take my dogs to dog parks. We have a yard. I walk them regularly (although that in itself has become risky). They don’t need the dog park and I don’t need the headache.

61 @Aldrige Family #42 August 17, 2014 at 6:25 PM

“While you mentioned it wasn’t a pitbull, I suspect it was at least part pitbull.”

What an ignorant statement. Because it attacked another dog, you think it must be part pitbull? As if no other breed is capable of doing so without pitbull influence? I hope you don’t have any dogs, since you clearly know NOTHING about them.

62 So sad August 17, 2014 at 6:46 PM

So sad to hear about this. May your sweet baby rest in peace. Very sad.

63 ma58 August 17, 2014 at 7:16 PM

Hey sue the poor idiot take him to small claims it really upsets me hearing a story like this you should not have to pay nails him maybe he will train his dog better I hope they banned this dog from the park post pictures at the park warning people.

64 CW August 17, 2014 at 7:40 PM

Baldwin Park unfortunately attracts a lot of irresponsible pet owners. My youngest child does AYSO special needs soccer there on Saturday mornings and there are constantly unleashed dogs roaming around outside the enclosed dog park area. It makes me so nervous because my little one doesn’t understand the safety risk due to her disability.

65 CrayZ August 17, 2014 at 7:52 PM

Very sad to hear about the loss of a pet.

Not sure if the small dog was in the large dog area BUT to anyone else, I wish some people would understand that if you stick your small dog in an area with larger dogs your lowering it’s chances of being able to protect itself. You know, that saying..”pick on somebody your own size”…

Also, if you know your dog isn’t trained very well and can’t handle being around other dogs without acting up PLEASE don’t bring them to a dog park! Keep your dog on a leash and walk around your neighborhood-or train them!

66 Pt. Chicago August 17, 2014 at 7:57 PM

Sorry for your loss, thanks for sharing your story. I have a 8 month puppy we’ve taken to small enclosure at Baldwin recently, lucky no problem. Thanks for the warning, I was not aware of this law.

67 Anon August 17, 2014 at 8:01 PM

A mind is a terrible thing to censor.

68 Sad August 17, 2014 at 8:41 PM

I’m sorry for the victims loss, but why was the small dog in the big dog side? That kind of setting yourself up for something bad to happen. Little dogs get nippy, and big dogs play rough. People need to pay attention and follow the rules. And yes it’s enter at your own risk at the dog park . BE AWARE PEOPLE! Watch your animals!! And people need to not bring aggressive, dominant pets to the park!!

69 #42&#45 August 17, 2014 at 9:01 PM

“I am so sorry to hear about your baby. I am a huge fan of Baldwin park Dog park and have never had an issue there.Can you describe the dog that acttacked you that that we may avoid this dog when we go there. Again sorry for your loss. While you mentioned it wasn’t a pitbull, I suspect it was at least part pitbull.”
^^^ you are the biggest idiot. What makes you assume it was a pittbull? Why the hell does it always resort to it being a pittbull? I was walking my dog the other day and yes I am the proud momma of a 7year old pitty, anyways I was walking her and she was on a leash being a good girl, while some dumba** let his dog run around in his non fenced yard and let his dog go after mine. Guess what my dog did?? Nothing she cowered. Tell me how the hell that’s a vicious dog?? Do you know that pittbulls were originally nanny dogs? That means they were there to damn near babysit children. Now just because some ignorant people don’t train the animals right or train them to be mean doesn’t mean that breed is bad. I have seen more attacks at this specific park from small dogs and huskies. So maybe you should go be ignorant somewhere else. Brush up on your research by the way. Any dog can be trained to fight. THERES NO SUCH THING AS A BAD DOG, JUST BAD OWNERS. And did you ever stop to think the little dogs owner was at fault? These areas are segregated for a damn reason people! Figure it out.

“Just like with a child, the owner must watch their dog at all times when in a public place.
If you have an aggressive dog, PLEASE keep it in your yard. We don’t want it around!”

Idiot #2 . There are separate areas, big dog and little dog. And because the dog had already warned the other dog to leave him alone now he’s aggressive? I’m guessing you don’t have animals nor have you been to the park. Dogs are gonna nip at each other and tell them what they don’t like. So while the little dogs were running around irritating the big dogs, where were the owners? Why were they on the big dog side? Don’t post on something that you aren’t fully knowledgeable on.

70 Valorie August 17, 2014 at 9:06 PM

Pet owners, watch your small animal around other large animals, especially dogs. Terrible things like this occur, I always bring pepper spray to a dog park. WASP spray is just as effective.

71 Chet August 17, 2014 at 9:12 PM

Suggestion for using a dog park:

1. If you have a dog under 25lbs use the small dog park! I hear all the time “my dog is fine with big dogs” the problem is it may not be your dogs fault but your dog due to size will be the one dead.

2.Their have been dogs killed because of their size! Some times by accident when a large dog (some get over 100 lbs.) run over them other times because of “pack” behavior”. Some large dogs view tiny breeds as pray not dogs. Large dogs usually play rougher than smaller do and not all dogs recognize size.

3. Different dogs have different energy levels if yours does not seem to fit in with the dogs when you visit best to leave and not take a chance.

4. If your dog gets aggressive it’s a good idea to leash it walk the perimeter away from other dogs then leave.

5. A dog humping another dog it is a dominant posture and the cause of major dog fights it’s up to you to prevent your dog from humping. Keep dogs in “heat” out of the park it will cause a fight.

6. The later in the day the more problems because the dogs all “keyed up” from being alone all day and so are the owners from working.

7. Watch your dog!!! It’s easy to get distracted when talking but things change quickly I have seen the best behaved dog bite because it got “challenged” or was in fear.

8. Work on voice re-call, if you can get a solid re-call odds are even in a dog fight your dog will come to you especially if they are running toward a fight.

9. It is not a good idea for pregnant women or small children to be in the large dog park. It’s not that the dogs are bad but they do not pay attention when running. It is not unusual to be knocked over by a pack of dogs or jumped on when a dog gets excited. I have seen concussions, sprained ankles, damaged kneecaps and a damaged back from dogs running or jumping on some one.

10. While it may sound like you should keep a dog out of a dog park most of the time it’s a great place for the dog to get physical and mental exercise. Most fearful dogs are those that do not have interaction with other dogs. It is not unusual for a older dog to “teach” a younger dog what is appropriate such as not biting hard or getting to rough.

72 Michele August 17, 2014 at 9:17 PM

I am so very sorry for your loss; what a terrible tragedy. I am terrified to take my dogs to a dog park for this very reason. I am so sorry this happened to your dog.

73 Pleasant Hill Resident I August 17, 2014 at 9:36 PM

I am very sorry to hear about this. Unfortunately, it sounds like the situation could possibly have been prevented by either party (keeping a smaller dog in the small dog area, removing a very strong and potentially unfamiliar/less socialized larger dog from the situation, or both parties possibly being more vigilant of the situation as it unfolded). That being said, I wish the owner of the deceased pup much peace during this difficult time.

I agree with Big Jim @ #20. Owners must really be aware of both the signs their dogs are giving and the behavioral signs of other dogs as well. We frequented the Paso Nogal dog park for a long time with our large breed dog and saw all kinds of incidents occur between other dogs – some of them entirely preventable had people been looking for the signals.

We eventually stopped going to the park a short time after our own dog was attacked (literally out of nowhere – the dog ran in from across the field while chasing a ball and randomly bee-lined half way thru it’s “fetch” before tackling our dog). We were very close by when it happened and the other owner rushed over, so were able to break up the attack quickly (given the situation, I’m slightly grateful that our dog “held its own” and came out relatively unscathed). However, the attack itself wasn’t the issue for us. The problem is that ever since our dog was attacked, our pup no longer does well with groups of multiple dogs (both dogs were swarmed by other pups looking to get in on the action during the incident). After working with our dog for a long time, we realized that things likely would not change and are even more conscious of how we let our dog interact with other dogs – especially unfamiliar dogs – and can no longer attend dog parks. It’s sad that something once so enjoyable can be ruined so easily for innocent pups.

74 Linzer Torte August 17, 2014 at 9:44 PM

@#42 Aldrige Family, we all know what happens when you ASSUME. Thank you for proving it here.

75 @#69 August 17, 2014 at 10:09 PM

You are just plain ignorant and can’t read. Obviously the foul owner of a big aggressive bully dog, such as yourself

76 death August 17, 2014 at 10:22 PM

dogs will be dogs. the owner of the big dog should not have to pay. what was the small dog doing there? dog attacks happen in dog parks. deal. most posters here are stupid.

77 sherry h August 17, 2014 at 10:27 PM

My dogs NEVER go to the dog park.. I have been working in the pet care workforce for over 40 years and lost track of how many of my customers have had their dogs injured or killed at dog parks. I love the “oh no my dog is not aggressive. He/she doesn’t bite!!” PEOPLE wake up! We all love our pets but, I see so many people that don’t treat their dogs like dogs any more. They are their surrogate children! They are still an animal and can be unpredictable. My dogs have never bitten BUT, when I am asked if my dogs bite my response is always ,”They have teeth.” Some people are just not too smart.

78 death August 17, 2014 at 10:35 PM

you people need to get a grip and start caring more about human suffering than dog suffering. this post has generated too many comments as it is. the small dog owner was STUPID to let her little precious mingle with the big kids. i don’t feel sorry for her. if she had asked me to pay, i would have laughed.

btw, some of you posters need to go back to school and study english. “would have”, not “would of”.

–signed, the world’s most intelligent person

79 @Aldrige IDIOT August 17, 2014 at 10:44 PM

You must be uneducated. All dogs can bite. Pitts get a bad rap because a lot of stupid people own them and can’t raise them right so they act out just like idiots who don’t raise their kids right. I’ve owned a couple Pitts in my life and they were/are the best dogs I’ve had in my family. All dogs can be vicious. Ok, on this topic sorry for your loss and RIP little guy. If my dog was the one who did this I would of paid for every bill resulting from the attack. Which I think most responsible pet owners would.

80 death August 17, 2014 at 10:54 PM

is it wrong to get a thrill when dogs are fighting? i mean a lot of people go to hockey games just to watch the fights. the nhl linesmen even let the fights go on for a while on purpose, for higher ratings.

81 sue August 17, 2014 at 11:36 PM

I have a 6mo. old part chawGA AND PART RAT TERRIER sorry about the spelling i have been to bldwin once but din’t go in the park. just walked her on he leaash in a gras area. But she brks hen he sees other dogs. peopl sy gt her us to other dogs. but i am scared for her. ny iea. Sorry about your loss. all animals are so precious.

82 Marianne August 17, 2014 at 11:49 PM

You have to be wary of other dogs in dog parks especially the ones you don’t know. This was a terrible tragedy, sorry for your loss.

83 Anon August 18, 2014 at 8:14 AM

Mean people will always win, JAM, MBC

84 Not Importatn August 18, 2014 at 9:20 AM

Hello,
This was my dog Baxter who was attacked at Baldwin Park. I am taking partial responsibility for Baxter’s death because I was the one who chose to bring him into the “Large Breed” section of the park. When we arrived there were dogs of all sizes within the park, I was simply going with the flow of others assuming that if their dogs were safe inside mine would be too. This is a decision I will have to live with forever, and a terrible memory I can only hope will fade away in time. With that said, whether you are in a park for large breeds or small breeds, if your dog starts showing signs of aggression the owner needs to take IMIDEIATE action! Within 2 minutes of our arrival this dog first went after my friends smaller dog. Despite the yelping and crying of our pup the owner of this dog was nowhere to be found…. He ran off to the other side of the park where I assumed the owner was. It was less than a minute later he was back and went after my Baxter. Turns out the owner was sitting maybe 15 feet away from us. After that the incident is a blur. I don’t know the owner of this dog.. I don’t wish to bash her on this blog. I am letting Animal Control take my statement and hope that there is enough evidence to look into the case and have the dog evaluated to ensure it is not a danger to the public.
Last, I purposely did not state the breed of either dog because I didn’t want to put a target out for any specific breeds… I’ve seen aggressive dogs of all sorts, Lab, Poodle, Rot, etc. It’s the owner who need to take responsibility to control and train their dogs no matter what breed they have.
Thanks.

85 Clayton Mom August 18, 2014 at 9:57 AM

I am so sorry for your loss. My heart goes out to you.

86 Blah blah blah August 18, 2014 at 10:28 AM

Little dogs are just as aggressive if not more. What may be correcting behavior for the larger dog towards another large dog can be way to much for a little dog. I am sorry for your loss. Lesson learned the hard way unfortunately.

For other small dog owners many of the thing you see as cute in your small dog can be aggression.

87 Blah blah blah August 18, 2014 at 10:31 AM

this link describes the little dog syndrome well.

88 Mike Halperin August 18, 2014 at 11:03 AM

Sad deal all around. Our eight pound GiGi has been to the small dog park @ Baldwin a few times and luckily no problems to report for her.

We’d never allow her on the big dog side or stay if too big a dog arrived in the small dog area.

However, most anyone who has visited these dog parks understands the social pressure to allow large & small breeds together. As many have commented, it’s because the owners want to comingle – even to the point of overlooking potential dangers.

This is a wake-up call. A reminder we can’t trust the intelligence of other dog owners in a setting like that. There are safer options to socialize and exercise our dog. Good bye Baldwin Park – we’re gone.

89 Karen August 18, 2014 at 12:12 PM

I have personally seen two dog killings at newhall park. One in the small dog park a French bulldog killed a yorkie yes like three seconds and the other walking and my girlfriends small dog got attacked by a mid size dog that was off leash. Again a three second kill. Very scary

90 Silva August 18, 2014 at 1:44 PM

#84, Thank you. I’m very sorry about Baxter.

91 Blue Fan August 18, 2014 at 2:20 PM

Putting a dog the size of a small cat in an enclosure with a bunch of big dogs is a very dumb move, even if they didn’t have a separate enclosure specifically for small dogs. Sounds like the park did everything they could to prevent this from happening. Bad owner, no sympathy. I feel sorry for the pup though.

92 Monkey August 18, 2014 at 2:50 PM

So sorry Baxter :(. Never would I ever put my lil guys at a dog park ever.
Laziest dog owners there.

93 dee August 18, 2014 at 3:35 PM

I am so sorry for your loss. Dog parks are very risky, as we have no idea what they say to eachother or if their interaction would be amicable. I am a strong believer that small dogs should be in their enclosed area and big dogs in the other part. Some dogs have a huge prey drive and not all big dogs are viscious, but could trample a small dog with no problems. I had an issue where my dog and I were attacked in Fremont. Animal control did not do anything, because the dogs did not break my skin. The two dogs bit through my clothes and brusied me. They did nothing.

94 Ph res August 18, 2014 at 3:43 PM

I want to thank Blah…blah, I just read the link about small vs. large dog aggression and it’s excellent information. I have a dog that is very aggressive towards small dogs and it has been difficult to socialize him. This made it clear as to why he acts this way. My fault and totally fixable.

95 PAY UP! August 18, 2014 at 5:30 PM

Regardless of the small dog being in the big dog area is the owner of the rottweiler taking responsibility and paying all the bills? And replacement costs? Shame on you if you’re working this out, already. Your dangerous dog had NO REASON to attack and kill another. You need to take responsibility. And no I wasn’t there, and I don’t own a dog. Do what’s right (and the legal responsibility). Otherwise I hope you’re taken to court, and lose. What are you waiting for? How do you sleep at night?

96 PAY UP! August 18, 2014 at 5:30 PM

*not working this out, already.

97 @#84 August 18, 2014 at 8:04 PM

I’m so sorry that u read all of these comments. No one knew your doggie like you. You were so polite and kind when you posted this as you were alerting others of the danger of the park. FYI it was almost empty tonight & the people that were there were angry at the outcome, meaning your loss, your responsibility for vet bills & the way it was handled legally. You did NOTHING wrong and it is not your fault! I was judgmental too. I will be more than happy to contribute to your vet bill if you post something.

98 Linda August 18, 2014 at 8:19 PM

I’ll take of that dumb Rottweiler when I see it, can’t wait :)

99 EdiBirsan August 18, 2014 at 8:32 PM

Baldwin Dog Park will be reopened on August 20th.

100 Sherry Doyle August 18, 2014 at 11:01 PM

My heart goes out to you in the tragic loss of your pet.

101 Dog Gone It August 18, 2014 at 11:10 PM

I have had nothing but problems at Baldwin Dog Park. People have told me they are “training and socializing” their aggressive dogs there. I have told people that have small dogs in the big dog area that my dog (even though he is very sweet) may think your tiny dog is a rabbit. Most of the time the tiny dog owners says it’s ok, my dog likes big dogs, my dog needs to learn to take care of himself or some other stupid comeback. I have broken up dogs that get in packs and pick on one dog. Recently it was a brown dog trapped by the pack. The trapped dog was terrified and showing its teeth. I tried to pull the other dogs away from the trapped brown dog. The owner of the brown dog says to me, its ok they are just playing. I said your dog is scared to death. It seems to me people are oblivious to dog behavior.
BTW. I hate it when your dog humps my dog. Lets just set this straight, your dog is NOT dominant, it’s HORNY.
It’s time someone sets up a private dog park, that is members only, like they have in other parts of the country.

102 #75 August 19, 2014 at 12:03 AM

How about you enlighten me with how you think I can’t read? Can you? They specifically said IT WAS NOT AT ALL A PITTBULL! How much more clear does that need to be? I read the ignorant comments and yes I do own a pitbull but I also have a cocker spaniel / poodle mix and a rat terrier . They are best friends. My dog has NEVER been aggressive. She was attacked by a shepherd type dog and a husky at Baldwin and she could have fought back and didn’t . It’s because of people like you that these things happen. You people are so quick to blame one breed when it wasn’t even their fault. It’s the ignorant a** people in the world who can’t raise them. And oh yes, I am such a bully. Who the f**k calls someone a bully on a blog, Go back to preschool you big a** baby. Don’t read my comment if you don’t like what’s said.

Anyways, I am truely sorry for this persons loss. It’s a horrible feeling to know that you won’t wake up to your pet/baby the next morning. But this is why you have to be cautious at all times. I hope with time, things get better for you.hard way to have to learn a lesson about being safe. I’m sorry again. May the little guy rest in peace.