Woman Claims She Was Sexually Assaulted at the N. Concord BART Station

August 15, 2014 14:00 pm · 26 comments

bart

Earlier this week, BART Police Officers responded to John Muir Hospital in Concord after a call came in claiming a woman was sexually assaulted at the N. Concord BART station.

An officer interviewed the victim and she reported that she was sexually battered at the N. Concord Station on Monday evening.

The victim stated she was asleep on a bench when an unknown suspect groped her.

A description of the suspect hasn’t been released at this time.

1 Jerk August 15, 2014 at 2:04 PM

Groped, Battered = John Muir Hospital.
Did the perp grab a *** or what ?

2 Huh? August 15, 2014 at 2:07 PM

Not trying to minimize what happened here, but define “groped”?
Did they grab her lady parts and play with them? Or did they kind of accidentally brush next to her as she was illegally sleeping on a bench at BART?

3 Justin August 15, 2014 at 3:38 PM

I predict lots of victim blaming in here since she was sleeping on a bench.

The perp is the one in the wrong. Doesn’t matter where you are or what you’re doing – no one deserves to be sexually assaulted. Let’s find this scumbag.

4 Mark August 15, 2014 at 4:01 PM

Justin, maybe not victim blaming, but there are ways of avoiding situations like this. Common sense.

5 Mary August 15, 2014 at 4:04 PM

Why didn’t she report the assault to the BART agent at the station? Sounds like a made up story. If so, she ought to be cited for making a false police report.

6 Shelly August 15, 2014 at 4:35 PM

Must have been an unusually rough groping.

7 Felino August 15, 2014 at 5:28 PM

If this had happened to you, your sister, mom, grandma or daughter, you won’t be making these comments.

8 Anon August 15, 2014 at 6:32 PM

Once again American culture discourages young women from reporting sexual assaults.

9 J. August 15, 2014 at 7:08 PM

Did the police get a grope-kit?

10 Mika August 15, 2014 at 8:51 PM

Is sleeping on the benches allowed at BART stations?

11 eyewhen August 15, 2014 at 9:21 PM

American culture long ago discouraged sleeping on public benches, but low-and-behold here we are in the 21st century and some women just can’t control themselves

12 Elwood August 15, 2014 at 9:30 PM

Did a sergeant show up to condemn the groping?

13 MeCrazyWoman August 15, 2014 at 10:02 PM

Wow. I can’t believe the negative posters.
This hope the victim is ok.

14 Teacher Wannabe August 15, 2014 at 10:19 PM

@Mika #10. No, sleeping at BARTststions is illegal. A notice recently went out saying BART police would be enforcing to avoid issues in emergencies and blocking escape routes.

15 Henry K August 15, 2014 at 10:29 PM

I hope she has good health insurance. John Muir will be sending her a large bill to cover the phone call to the police.

16 GetTheFactsStraight August 16, 2014 at 8:05 AM

There is a core group of mentally ill homeless people in Concord that constantly call 911 from pay-phones (you don’t need a coin for 911). They claim to be having chest pains (the magic words). Even though the local para-medics all know them by name, they cannot simply tell them they are faking. The homeless person (there are both men and women that do this) gets a ride to the hospital, a bed to sleep in, perhaps some pain meds, and some food. This is very popular in the winter.

We the people, through our state legislature, made the decision in the 1970s to close thousands of beds in mental health hospitals and the idea was we would provide “voluntary” mental health therapy on an outpatient basis. #1, crazy people often don’t show up for voluntary therapy, and #2 we cut the funding for it after a few years. Thus, our police officers are now the biggest mental health providers in the state. They spend a huge amount of their time reporting to “crazy” behavior.

All that being said, I have no idea if this person was just a pleasant young woman taking a nap on a bench while waiting for her train and the claim is legitimate, or someone as described above. It could be a little of both, as homeless women are often the subject of sexual harassment and assault by homeless men.

17 PO'd August 16, 2014 at 9:39 AM

One of the pitfalls of being homeless and sleeping in public. I’m sure this happens a lot.

Mary@#5 asks the poignant question: Why didn’t she report the incident to BART police, since they are the agency responsible for patrolling BART?
She might be looking for attention-that’s all .Any recording?

18 Silva August 16, 2014 at 10:24 AM

It’s interesting that she’s described as a “young woman” by a couple of posters.

19 Silva August 16, 2014 at 10:27 AM

Hard for normal folks to imagine sexual assaults can happen to anyone.

20 Anonymous August 16, 2014 at 10:35 AM

Wait…she went to the hospital because someone groped her? What?

21 PhilthyPHRESH August 16, 2014 at 8:28 PM

@elwood they only show up to approve the arrest. I thought you knew that showing up to condemn the grouping would be a waste of
Taxpayer dollars.

22 disappointed August 18, 2014 at 5:32 AM

It never ceases to amaze me when I read the comments to the articles here how many people are not only rude & insensitive, but just blatantly mean! That is not even including the ones who are obviously just brain dead. Maybe that would make a good topic for a discussion on Claycord, why is it so difficult for people to show a bit of compassion towards one another, do the people who make these rude comments actually act like that towards others in person, or only behind the safety of their internet connection? Do they really believe what they type, or are they trying to be funny?

23 bigbry August 18, 2014 at 12:40 PM

Well this seems to be so shocking why would you wanna be sleeping on a bench at bart with all these people out there she lucky she wasnt mugged

24 bigbry August 18, 2014 at 12:50 PM

This whole story sounds like BS its all over the place with its facts yeah its sucks but till the story is straightend out stop speculating on how we are rude insensitive blah blah stop jumping the gun on your opinions

25 Disappointed August 20, 2014 at 12:00 AM

Bigbry
That is exactly what I am referring to, even though all of the facts are not out there, people still want to make their judgments about something they know nothing about. It is not even necessarily this particular article that I am referring to – I see it in almost every discussion that I read the comments on. Regardless, I love reading Claycord, and do find that some of the opinions show the views of many kind, and caring people in our area. f it weren’t for them I would probably stop reading the stories, and maybe even move away if I thought that the majority of folks were that ignorant.
I however, do have an opinion, and that is that it is rude and insensitive to pass judgment on a topic which there are clearly not many solid facts to go by. I am not jumping the gun here, I read Claycord on a regular basis, and the fact is, I read a lot of trashing of individuals, and groups that the posters clearly know nothing about. I find it sad that people are so eager to go out of their way to write such malicious things. This I would happily tell someone person to person if the opportunity arises. In fact I have done so, This doesn’t make me anything special & I am not on a high horse, but I was always taught right from wrong, and if I saw something wrong, to speak out for others who maybe can’t speak for themselves. We are all entitled to our opinions, of course, but do our opinions have to be expressed in such vicious ways?
Live & Let Live!

26 Disappointed August 20, 2014 at 12:04 AM

Maybe she wasn’t homeless, but just nodded off while waiting for her train after work. Just a thought.