UPDATE: Unbelted Driver Suffers Major Injuries During Crash on Marsh Creek Rd.

August 14, 2014 10:51 am · 62 comments

chp1 chp2

A driver who was not wearing his seat-belt and apparently tried to pass traffic on Marsh Creek Road near Clayton is in the hospital with major injuries this morning after crashing head-on into another truck, a California Highway Patrol officer said.

The 33-year-old Stockton resident was driving a pickup truck west on Marsh Creek Road near Morgan Territory Road around 8:05 a.m. when he crossed over the double yellow lines and crashed directly into another pickup truck driven by a 54-year-old Discovery Bay man, CHP Officer John Fransen said.

The Stockton man suffered major head injuries and was taken to John Muir Medical Center in Walnut Creek.

“Had he been wearing his seatbelt, it would have saved him from the pretty significant head injuries,” Fransen said.

The driver of the second pickup truck, who was wearing his seatbelt, was uninjured.

Fransen said witnesses driving behind the Stockton man’s truck prior to the crash reported that he had swerved multiple times over the double yellow lines in apparent attempts to pass traffic.

Drugs and alcohol do not appear to be factors in the crash, he said.

Marsh Creek Road was shut down in the area as emergency crews responded to the collision but reopened later this morning.

photos: CHP

1 oldman August 14, 2014 at 10:55 AM

Difficult to really care about the Stockton man when he endangered so many people with his idiotic actions

2 ClayDen August 14, 2014 at 11:07 AM

Too fast, crossing the double yellow, doing it all in one of the worst handling vehicles on the road AND not wearing a seat belt. Darwin at work. Too bad the idiot had to damage another vehicle in the process.

3 LD August 14, 2014 at 11:11 AM

“Drugs and alcohol do not appear to be factors in the crash, he said.”

Well, I guess that leaves us with stupidity as the cause. They paint those double yellow lines on the roads for a reason.

4 Austin August 14, 2014 at 11:14 AM

I live on Morgan Territory, and brave this road 4 to 6 times a day. If it had been me he hit, my car would have been a pulp of plastic metal. Thank god he hit another larger truck and not a small car.

5 The Professor August 14, 2014 at 11:18 AM

“Drugs and alcohol do not appear to be factors in the crash, he said.”

He should have added “Just some dumb-ass being a dumb-ass.”

There’s no excuse to being in such an impatient hurry that you endanger all those around you. I find it impossible to be sympathetic towards the Stockton guy.

6 Fencing. August 14, 2014 at 11:27 AM

Where the poster advocating creatng a fence so those Stocktonites don’t come into our area.

7 Hard to Care about this August 14, 2014 at 11:31 AM

Like many others, don’t have much sympathy…endangered others and himself. Glad this fool didn’t kill anyone else.

8 Justin August 14, 2014 at 11:31 AM

Darwin award time

No seat belt? Only an idiot does that.

9 Skyscraper August 14, 2014 at 11:33 AM

It is tragic when an incident like this happens. I hope the driver responsible has a speedy recovery and the hope that he has learned never to drive like that again. Given the reported manner of his driving prior to the accident, no tears are being shed for him, at least from me.

10 Jerk August 14, 2014 at 11:33 AM

Yeah, no drugs & alcohol. Just undocumented, no license or insurance and most likely cell phone in hand…..

11 What A Jackass August 14, 2014 at 11:35 AM

The driver from Stockton has learned what being an impatient jackass does to you.

Glad to hear the other driver was uninjured. It always seems as if the innocent victim ends up in worse condition than the morons that cause these accidents, so it’s refreshing to see that not be the case for once.

12 Silva August 14, 2014 at 11:36 AM

Is the road still closed?

13 :( August 14, 2014 at 11:43 AM

The innocent driver may not have visible injuries at the moment but you better believe with a head on hit like that he’s going to be hurting over the next few days. Hope this idiotic driver learns a HUGE lesson…loss of work, injuries, bills and two totaled vehicles. Not worth it dude! Hopefully he had insurance and the other driver is reimbursed for all of his losses.

14 Just me August 14, 2014 at 11:45 AM

Sadly, many people driving Marsh Creek choose to ignore the double yellow lines and posted speed limits. With little CHP to patrol on a regular basis they choose to take their chances of not getting caught.

15 Krogs August 14, 2014 at 11:46 AM

I live off of MTR also. So tired of these morons. No seat belt – crossing over a double yellow line? Injuring yourself because you are stupid is one thing, but injuring another? Criminal.

16 I have to deal with these Morons all the time.... August 14, 2014 at 11:46 AM

it’s nice to see one get nailed once in a while.

17 @#4 August 14, 2014 at 11:48 AM

The downside to living out here is unfortunately the morons cutting through and the complete lack of traffic enforcement. Glad the other person was OK. I’m sure he’ll be sore later though.

18 Pink Undies August 14, 2014 at 11:49 AM

Discretion appears to be a factor in the accident.

19 LocalGirl August 14, 2014 at 11:54 AM

I live in Clayton near Marsh Creek … it’s become a 2-lane freeway. It’s UNREAL how fast and carelessly people drive on that road. Not sure what the remedy could be, but something needs to happen! Thank goodness the innocent driver was unharmed this time.

20 Cowellian August 14, 2014 at 11:55 AM

The Stockton man suffered major head injuries . . .

Luckily, there was no brain damage, since he had left it at home this morning.

21 RickCendejas August 14, 2014 at 12:06 PM

Two wrongs (not wearing a seatbelt and illegal passing) certainly do not make a right. The sad thing is that he probably did this type of dangerous driving every day. Does this idiot realize all of the trouble he made because of his illegal actions? From the poor guy whose truck he demolished to many others he made late for work.

22 Anon August 14, 2014 at 12:07 PM

I hate driving that road anymore, people think it’s a damn speedway and pass all the time on curves and over double yellow. Wish I could say I was sorry for the driver but i’m not. You get what you deserve and maybe next time he’ll be in less of a hurry and thank god he did not kill the other driver.

23 Anonn August 14, 2014 at 12:11 PM

illegally passing while being here illegally.

24 Eddie August 14, 2014 at 12:18 PM

It’s time for the CHP to get out there and start enforcing the traffic laws on an ongoing basis. That stretch between Deer Valley Road and Clayton is particularly bad with the hills and curves. I don’t believe there’s a break in the double yellow line for that entire stretch.

It’s a continual problem with both motorcycles and cars.

25 WTF August 14, 2014 at 12:28 PM

He’s passing down the hill into the construction zone! Wait 2 mins and you’ll have 2 lanes to get around someone just so everyone else catches up to you at the next stop light. Such a moron. Really hope the other party in the accident is ok and does not suffer any injuries

26 Tom August 14, 2014 at 12:30 PM

At least one of them was wearing a seatbelt, and no drugs or alcohol were involved.

I hope everyone is all right…..

27 J August 14, 2014 at 12:31 PM

No surprise here… People speed on that road all the time.

28 Walnut Creek Resident August 14, 2014 at 12:36 PM

I have noticed mostly men are the ones who have this risky behavior. I see it all the time while I am on my bike on the Iron Horse Trail. Not all of the men but they are the ones who go way too fast and pass on hills etc. where there are women with strollers and babies. Those morons endanger the rest of us. I live by John Muir and I heard the helicopter this morning. I always say a prayer each time. This guy will never be the same if he lives I would imagine.
I am sick of these selfish people. I still will keep up the prayers and I hope he will be ok anyway.

29 SKS August 14, 2014 at 12:39 PM

From the left:

“As a matter of the safety of all Californians, this problem can be solved with an additional $10 fee on driver license renewals for enhanced driver safety education.”

30 DidHeDied? August 14, 2014 at 1:05 PM

Did
He
Dieded?

31 Mr. Pink August 14, 2014 at 1:12 PM

Given the damage to the cars, I have a hard time believing that “the driver of the second pickup truck, who was wearing his seatbelt, was uninjured.”

Talk to him tomorrow.

32 well... August 14, 2014 at 1:17 PM

There are speed limits, lines, and basic rules for driving. Why do most people feed the need to break these rules? I travel HWY 4 and 680 everyday. There is absolutely NO reason to drive 70 to 80 mph. There is absolutely NO reason to slit lanes. What’s worse is, the people who break the rules, never agree that they are at fault. They always blame the person going the posted speed limit. Or the mc’s that barely fit between two cars blame the cars when they clip and go down.

I have been driving for 30 yrs and have never been in an accident or had a speeding ticket. It’s not hard people!!!

33 CoCoOld August 14, 2014 at 1:24 PM

@Jerk and Anonn,

How did you know that the Stockton resident is an illegal? Were you listening on the scanner? There’s nothing in the Mayor’s article about it. Could you point us in the direction of your info? Thanks.

34 Daniel P August 14, 2014 at 1:33 PM

Need to expand the road and make it more like Vasco.

35 iluvfriedchicken August 14, 2014 at 1:56 PM

Maybe they played chicken? I don’t know how dangerous it is to pass where the accident happened.

36 Jim Shoes August 14, 2014 at 2:12 PM

Someone needs to sue not only the responsible driver but also the city or county for lack of traffic enforcement. How many people have to be killed or seriously injured on this road before something is done. A holes tailgating and speeding is the norm out there.

37 bigbry August 14, 2014 at 2:13 PM

I drive this road everyday let me tell you it is crazy how people drive I live in modesto and so do a few of the people i see every morning its a faster route but I honestly think its because its such a long commute but this road is dangerous Ive lost friends in this road

38 bigbry August 14, 2014 at 2:15 PM

Walnut Creek who cares if its men women or aliens on hover crafts its called speeding period you feminist

39 @Walnut Creek Resident - girls, too August 14, 2014 at 2:20 PM

Last fall, I was riding my bike on the trail, and 2 girls who looked to be in their 20s were coming toward me as I was crossing a bridge on the trail. They looked as if they were racing ~ on their bikes, seemingly pedaling as fast as possible, weaving from side to side as they pedaled, and not looking up, but looking at their feet. As they approached me on the bridge, one was heading right for me, and I yelled, “Hey!” – she looked up totally shocked that we were about to crash. She hit me head on and I went flying head-over-heels, landing off the bridge. Skinned up and bleeding from knees and elbows.

So, while I agree with you that it is more often men, sometimes women are guilty, too. Lucky for her, I’m a tough old gal who can take a few bumps and bruises. At least, she and her friend did come back so see if I needed help, which I declined.

40 Cautiously Informed August 14, 2014 at 2:28 PM

Why are some people in such a big big hurry all the time? Even to the point of risking theirs and others lives? Why is there an element of society that’s so careless and stupid?

41 The4thBore August 14, 2014 at 3:52 PM

This road is basically the best driving road NE claycord has to offer.. Fun to drive responsibly in the appropriate handling car, but I too have seen the rage of truck drivers who must get ahead of the pack. Whether they use both lanes to handle the turn (because truck), or make the blind pass across traffic, its all a bunch of swaggertude that needs to chill out and enjoy the views.

42 Ph res August 14, 2014 at 4:02 PM

Don’t feed the trolls, it only encourages them.
I would imagine the family of the hospitalized is very worried. Best wishes, and I hope he doesn’t die, and maybe he can buy the other dude a new pickup. Hope he changes his habits too.

43 WTF August 14, 2014 at 4:07 PM

@Jim Shoes

How is suing an already cash-strapped county going to help the situation?

44 Anon August 14, 2014 at 4:16 PM

DUMAS today on Denkinger, right by Tabernacle School entrance.

Did you really have to pass, on a double yellow, the cars entering the driveway to the school? You should have your license taken away and your fancy black sedan destoryed. Not only were you passing in a dangerous area where kids are usually crossing the street, there were cars in front of the car you had to pass, and a car was coming from the other direction. You only made it back to your lane because someone had some patience for your DUMAS to let you over. Thank you that person.

45 bigbry August 14, 2014 at 4:18 PM

Yes I hear what your saying but people texting is more of a problem than speeding

46 @ Jim Shoes August 14, 2014 at 5:03 PM

There’s no city to sue. That’s unincorporated. The City of Clayton starts, not coincidentally, just before where the center median begins. The police there do an outstanding job with speed enforcement. Which is ironic because I can’t tell you how many times I have heard “Don’t speed through Clayton, they’ll give you a ticket, they don’t have anything better to do.” That is a good thing, unless you’re a dumb@$$ speeder I guess.

47 Momo August 14, 2014 at 5:30 PM

@ 44
Get this one. I live right across the street from the driveway at tabernacle. I was driving down Denkinger. Turned my blinker on to turn right into my driveway. I guess the car behind me thought I had my blinker going the wrong direction, that I really wanted to turn into tabernacle parking lot. So the stupid woman went to pass me on the right in the direction that I was turning. Thank heavens I was looking at her in my rear view mirror and saw what she was doing and ended my turn or she would have broadsided me.

48 what it isnt August 14, 2014 at 5:41 PM

A race track ! I drive this road daily. I do the speed limit i try hard not.to tailgate even the ranchers with their huge trucks and horse trailers. It can be irratating but its not worth getting home 10 mins faster to speed and risk lives. Now if.i get someone on.my rear wanting to pass. I pull over mid way down the road theres a pull off spot at a park. With a sign and clock tower. A nice break from the traffic and i get a Starbucks drink and a snack at the little (Cash only )SNACK SHACK at the turn out. Then when its died down i get back on the road again. I pray everyones ok from.todays accident even the stockton man. Please drive safe out there friends !

49 Cat Wrangler August 14, 2014 at 5:57 PM

Extra patrols require extra taxes to cover higher costs of extra officers, extra court cases and other costs. London saves the public coffers by monitoring remote cameras. Maybe we could use camera drones and ticket more speeders and doubleline crossover offenders. Maybe we could take their licenses and vehicles permanently with repeat offenders.

50 Jim Shoes August 14, 2014 at 6:42 PM

I live in Clayton and I don’t see tickets handed out enough to all the commuters hauling butt through our town.

51 creative jurisdictions August 14, 2014 at 6:55 PM

@46. Usually it’s a small city that contracts with the county to provide CC County deputy coverage. Does anyone still do that? Lafayette created their own force a while ago…. Crockett? Rodeo? Anyways…. maybe the county could pay CLAYTON to cover Marsh Creek Rd. As many can attest, including myself, if you drive less than perfect through Clayton you WILL get pulled over. Clayton PD has a well deserved reputation for having a low tolerance for automotive shenanigans. They would get that stretch of road cleaned up and probably save some lives.

52 Aspirin August 14, 2014 at 6:58 PM

Justice.

53 ..... August 14, 2014 at 8:24 PM

For traffic enforcement in that area, the CHP has responsibility….not the sheriff.

54 coworker August 14, 2014 at 10:18 PM

I work with the ” uninjured man ” and went out to pick him up to get him out of the bad situation. I took him into the ER department to give him a once over and I can say that although quote ” uninjured ” he is in pain and over the next few days will be hurting more.
Thanks to a newer work vehicle with air bags he was able to walk away.
I saw both vehicles after the collision and I will never forget it. The driver coming at you from around a 30 MPH curve on the wrong side of the road leaves you with not much of a chance. I really think there is more to this that wanting to pass people. I hope the Stockton man is never is aloud to drive a motor vehicle again, whether it be a DMV requirement or from his own doing.

55 I'm The Urban Spaceman August 14, 2014 at 10:37 PM

“Drugs and alcohol do not appear to be factors in the crash, he said.”

I’d say a willful disregard for others and a major dose of Stupid
was the major factor in the crash. Glad to see for once the victim is physically uninjured.

56 anon August 14, 2014 at 10:58 PM

for those that live on that road and travel it regularly now would be a good time to raise a stink as to making some changes. i.e. traffic calming, triple or quadruple the fines whatever it takes. and put some cops there regularly till the problem is under control. Make it very very unfriendly for those that want to use it as a speedy shortcut

57 anon August 14, 2014 at 11:04 PM

wonder what the big hurry was.

58 caskydiver August 14, 2014 at 11:28 PM

I have seen idiots drive wrecklessly for years on Marsh Creek Rd. I am happy both parties survived with the innocent one not being harmed at all. As for the perpetrator – again, I am glad he’s relatively in good shape, he is an idiot and I hope that he suffers significant fines, inconveniences, car repair and insurance costs, etc. as he deserves all he gets. Tired of these idiots endangering the lives of others on this road. (and cyclists…you do not belong on this road, either. There’s barely enough room for two cars to pass by each other without throwing a cyclist in the mix. It is dangerous and you are kidding yourself if you think otherwise. Do you have a right to be on the road? Yes, But consider whether it is safe for both you and others before riding on that road.)

59 Tara Firma August 15, 2014 at 4:40 AM

I dare anyone to drive this road at the posted speed limit. The idiots who tailgate you are really bad. I have traveled that rd many times to get to my horses. The residents on that road are just as bad at speeding, tailgating, and passing.

60 Silva August 15, 2014 at 7:33 AM

Really sad that massive numbers now use that lovely road as a short cut, many of whom aparantly shouldn’t be driving period. I took the road yesterday and noticed a lot of work going on. Does anyone know what that’s about? Is it being widened in parts or are they making turnouts or something?

61 @ Tara Firma August 15, 2014 at 10:58 AM

I live out here and would disagree. There are definitely a few residents who are morons drivers, but the vast majority of people I see driving through here like idiots are commuters cutting through. The vehicles usually have Brentwood, Discovery Bay, Stockton, etc. license plate frames. It’s a lot better on the weekends when the commuters aren’t speeding through. It’s a real problem and the County should address it. Although it’s the CHP’s primary responsibility, we all pay a LOT of taxes to the County and receive almost no services in return out here. The Sheriff’s Department has just as much authority to write tickets.

Where did the illegal alien thing come from? As much as I think we should start enforcing our immigration laws, I’ve got news for you folks- the people I see cutting through from places like Stockton do not appear to be illegal aliens. Mostly WT.

62 Cowellian August 15, 2014 at 11:54 AM

This idiot wasn’t driving wrecklessly, or we wouldn’t be talking about it.